Breaking: ABC Cancels Brothers & Sisters, V, Mr. Sunshine, Four Others

Friday the 13th turned out to be doomsday for Brothers & Sisters and V: ABC has axed both shows. The Alphabet net also pulled the plug on rookie series No Ordinary Family, Off the Map, Better With YouDetroit 1-8-7 and Mr. Sunshine.

Though, as Deadline reported, the network was trying to find a way to bring back B&S for an abridged final season, in the end, the suits elected to free up their post-Desperate Housewives time slot for a new show. As a result, last Sunday’s B&S season finale is now, retroactively, the series’ finale.

V, meanwhile, was on the upswing. Its ratings remained so-so, but after a shaky start, it returned for a second season on solid ground creatively. Heck, it even added to the cast the delectable Jane “Diana” Badler from the ’80s version.

So, are you surprised that the Walkers have popped their last cork? That the aliens are no longer a threat? And which dearly-departed ABC series will you miss the most?

For up-to-date intel on the fate of all your favorite bubble shows, bookmark TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard and check back frequently.

(polls)

1. Mayra Cansigno! says:

IM SO MAD …I love No Ordinary Family and V ..AGH!! I hate you ABC

2. sammi says:

I’m so pissed they cancelled Brothers and Sisters they deserved to have a send off season! It’s one of my all-time favorite shows, so sad! :(

3. tone says:

Now I have more reasons to simply stop watching ABC. They too quickly cancel their new shows and now I will simply stop watching all of their new shows. Maybe if a new show lasts 2-3 seasons I may watch … otherwise no way ABC!

4. B A Brewer says:

One more example of how the ratings system doesn’t work. I have been disappointed with hoping Neilson families decide to watch and enjoy the same shows that I do. Who are these people anyway? Why do they all have such bad taste and why can they not recognize good television programs? I have not watched a program on CBS since Jericho was on and it was a miracle to even see a second season. How can that be the most watched network? Why do Neilson viewers watch complete crap??? I will miss V. It was the only show I watched on ABC since Lost and Alias. I doubt they can lure me back in with Charlies Angels or Tim Allen….been there done that is what I say.

5. Sally says:

Just confirms why I am so done with ABC. I stopped watching them when they cancelled One Life to Live and All My Children. I am still furious about that. One of the few other shows that I am missing on ABC was Brothers and Sisters. I am done with anything ABC and Disney.

6. RickyDP says:

No ordinary family must go on! I want to see the developments of the 2nd season! It’s not right! The actors, the story and the show itself was awesome. I saw the whole season waiting for the 2nd one, please think about a “restore”!

7. Barbara says:

Brothers and Sisters and Grey’s were two reasons I came back to ABC for nighttime dramas. They have canceled so many after one season, that I gave up, but after B&S got to season 2 I started watching. I gave them a chance again, then all in one year they cancel OLTL, AMC, V, Brothers and Sisters and Off the Map. They suck, they never give shows a chance to shine, and its why they keep having so much trouble with new shows. Wake up you idiots, not every show hits it out of the park on season one. Just because Reality ratings are higher doesn’t mean people aren’t watching. An stop not counting Neilsons if people don’t watch it on their DVR right away. I record so much that I could watch my DVR for days before I run out of shows. Just because I have a busy life doesn’t mean that I don’t watch a show! I will stick with FOX, The CW and CBS, this network has the biggest moron’s running it.

8. Ellie says:

The only one I will miss: off the map. I really liked that show. It had a good cast and I thought had found it’s groove.

9. Guy says:

SCREW YOU ABC! V was on the rise all season and then you cancel it. You will live to regret this decision.

10. Laura says:

Nooooooooooo :( I LOVE Brothers & Sisters!! :((( Very upsetting.

11. Pat says:

I had been missing the Walkers since the end of season two, for crying out loud… Good riddance to this shameful excuse for a show. Now, people, come to your senses: V was getting as unwatchable as B&S, No Ordinary Family was just a huge mistake of a show from second one, Mr Sunshine was clearly some sort of a tryout (I just don’t know what for) and Better With You, as occasionally congenial as it could be, never really got off.

12. Jaymie says:

I cannot believe they cancelled Bros & Sisters! My fav show! Nothing left on ABC but Housewives…ABC execs are Idiots.

13. Lucy says:

Most sad about Detroit 1-8-7. Quality show gone too soon.

14. Emma says:

I am so so so so so so sad that Brothers and Sisters was cancelled. Matthew Rhys and Luke MacFarlane are so awesome and adorable. And they just had a baby! Why ABC?

15. Suzie says:

Very very upset about Brothers & Sisters and V. A little bit upset about No Ordinary Family…Off the Map I tried so hard to get into…but it didn’t happen for me…all the other shows I don’t care about

16. TJ says:

Very bummed about Brothers and Sisters. Yeah they were on a downhill slide but they deserved a proper ending to all their stories. Not just make them all be happy for one night as one of them gets married. I knew the end was coming but their story is NOT finished!

17. James says:

Abc are you idiots? Why would you cancel V without at least as much as a wrap up episode. No ordinary family was great. It had to start slow to bud up the characters learning their powers it wouldn’t be realistic if they didn’t. Thanks ABC for ruining more TV

18. Carol says:

I cannot believe they canceled V.
    That was such an exciting science fiction show.

I will give up ABC… as they have given up on
    all the fans. After One Life to Live is done, I’m watch
    any other station, but never ABC again.

First the soaps, now V… and so many love
    Brothers and Sisters….
    I also liked Better With You….

I say goodbye to ABC… I hope they lose ALL the
    fans and have to close their station.

19. Auds says:

I didn’t keep up with any of these shows… I gave up on ABC back in the day when they canceled PUSHING DAISIES and ELI STONE. That network is a total joke.

20. Billie says:

WOW. I had a feeling that with the new head honcho, a lot of the ABC shows that have cult following or critical acclaim (at least in my mind) such as No Ordinary Family (it had abysmal ratings for such a great serialized show) would be cut. I didn’t think they would cut EVERY ONE of them.

I’m extremely disappointed that No Ordinary Family got cut. It was actually pretty smart and like The Vampire Diaries, it knew how to tell a consistently great serialized story.

Mr. Sunshine performed at Cougar Town levels but it’s a shame it got cut since I had a feeling it would’ve done wonders if it found its stride.

Mixed about V. Would’ve stayed tuned for another season but I couldn’t stand some of the clunky dialogue and the Canadian-ness production trying to pass off as New York. I will miss Erica, Anna, Hobbes, and Lisa though. :( Hopefully Elizabeth Mitchell gets another worthwhile Sci-Fi lead though!

And also mixed about Brothers and Sisters. It was a terrible fifth season since everyone just started leaving and they started scraping storylines from the cliche barrel. The season finale was fitting for a series finale just in case, but now there’s a lot of uncertain questions for some of the Walkers. Oh well.

21. Robert says:

All of the shows I watch on ABC is safe, except I did like Better With You. It was a well written comedy IMO. Desperate Housewives, Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice, Cougar Town, and Castle are safe so I’m not complaining.

22. Mick says:

Out of all these shows better with you was the best. I have liked Joanna Garcia since Reba. B&S was good but has been horrible for the last couple of seasons, too many cooks in the kitchen. Parenthood does it better.

23. Melissa says:

I am annoyed about Both NOF and B&S, I watched and enjoyed them both,….I gave OTM a shot a few episodes but it wasn’t holding my interests,….BWY I watched for 3 months and I just didn’t find it funny,….

I have to agree Grey’s Anatomy for me its just not enjoyable anymore,….But I still love Private Practice, and don’t think its crap,….Anyway its not fun watching any show get canned, no matter how much, you hated a Particular show,or liked a Particular show.

24. johny says:

Oh man. My mom loves Brothers and Sisters. Grandma loves The Good Wife. What will they watch come Spring?

25. davey says:

I’m annoyed at ABC for not giving Brothers and Sisters the proper sendoff. The last three episodes were well-written and fans of the show deserved a real goodbye. This stinks in the way NBC cancelled Law and Order abruptly. I guess fans don’t matter. And the networks wonder why they lose viewers. Well, I hope we’ll be seeing the wonderful actors on B&S on other shows. I was looking forward to seeing more of Beau Bridges.

ABC’s new shows sound like trash. I’m glad Happy Endings was renewed, though. I haven’t even bothered watching Body of Proof. I never watch the lousy Private Practice. I’ve given up on Desperate Housewives.

26. Saturn Girl says:

So now ABC has axed All My Children, One Life to Live, Brothers and Sisters and “V”. Four of my favorite shows. Here’s the deal, ABC—why in the world should I start watching any of your new shows when you don’t ever EVER give them a chance?? And even those that have proven themselves — AMC and OLTL, on air for 40 plus years — you are taking away from us and replacing with lame reality crap. Guess what ABC — I am DONE with you.

27. Judy says:

Absolutly discusting. Brothers & Sisters is one of the best shows on TV. This is the only show I watch on ABC, soooooo, I guess I won’t be watching ABC. Their adding other shows, and I’m sure their going to be garbage. I won’t waste my time. NBC, here I come!

28. Jake says:

Ouch for Friday the 13th. B & S was a great show that turned into a good show that finally was a show to watch on PVR whenever you could catch up. But the acting and writing was superior to most dramas.

OTM was a wanttobe Lost because the Shonda Rhimes loved Lost. They had a built in core that wanted to watch but…don’t underestimate the power of pissed off GA/PP fans who are very unhappy with her. Watched one episode where normally I’d give it a few and said to myself,nay….not worth watching.

Never saw V despite the constant promo’s. The one episode of Ordinary Family I caught was violent and disturbing and not interested in that.

Detroit – Great show with great writing. No promotion.Shame because it could have been a great show for many years to come.

29. Smcfadden says:

I cannot believe ABC cancelled Brothers & Sisters! It was my favorite show! I loved Nora, Saul and the whole Walker family! I wanted to see Kevin and Scotty raise their baby and Olivia, Kitty and Seth becoming parents, Sarah and Luke moving forward and Nora and Brody as well. This is such a massive disappointment!! Bring the show back!!! Millions of loyal fans deserve another season! Who is making these decisions??? I also watched V and wanted to see what happens next! Complete shock as I had read they had booth been renewed!!!

30. mortma says:

vote for what? How come all made us vote was useless effort? ABC totally sucks! It was the only ABC show that I was watching! Thank you for allowing me sleep earlier then!

31. Alison Gooch says:

My whole family love No Ordinary Family we sit down together every week to enjoy it!Gutted!

32. Ella says:

WHAT?! How can they cancel Brothers and Sisters?! It’s one of the best shows on TV, this is completely outrageous.

33. I loved Brothers and Sisters and am gutted it’s been cancelled. It’s been left with a massive cliffhanger :(

34. Ben Thomson says:

Come on bring back V for one more Season a full season order, wrap up the story we love it in the UK

35. adry says:

BAS was among my fav tv shows… but V was not just only among them and the only sci-fi on tv (with fringe), V was the series with my fav actress. DAMN YOU, ABC!

36. Dani Wood says:

I so want to boycott ABC. Taking away B&S’s is just plain WRONG!! How could you? I despise you ABC!

37. Rene says:

It sad that they canceled Off the map it was a good show,one of not so many left, as for B&S -no complainers, used to be a good one,but the last season was not at all.

38. Sarah says:

I’m so upset!!! OTM was really getting good and looking strong, and V my favorite show to watch! I grew up watching the original 80′s series and was thrilled when ABC brought it back fresh and updated and I loved it. Plus they had just added Marc Singer to the cast! What the heck ABC, you are shooting yourselves in the foot.

39. Linda says:

Hubby and really liked Detroit 187! So sorry it won’t be back!

40. Kate says:

Brothers and Sisters had a nice run but I think they could have done more with the show – it definately had at least another solid season in it. Off the Map was starting to come in to it’s own and was a really great show! I’m disappointed that ABC cancelled these two and wonder how much of it has to do with parent company who seems to be getting cheap and isn’t concerned about quality TV or keeping the fans happy. Look what they’ve done with AMC and OLTL and after lying about it! I am trying to avoid watching ABC because it is obvious they are looking to offer shows that can be made inexpensively and with no concern for quality. Such a shame. I am in my mid-forties and I remember when ABC was a great network but now it’s just a shame of a holding company for the Mouse.

41. Natalie says:

NOOOO! Detroit 187 was one of the best shows on tv! Couldn’t they at least shop it around to other networks…like TNT?!?! This absolutely stinks!

42. anonymous says:

“I loved Brothers and Sisters and am gutted it’s been cancelled. It’s been left with a massive cliffhanger.”

I wouldn’t call it a massive cliffhanger. In this case its pretty easy to figure out the direction in which most of the characters were headed.IMHO B & S’s ending made for a decent series finale though definatley not an ideal one.

43. Chris Rogers says:

This is absolutely ridiculous. Brothers & Sisters remained one of ABC’s biggest draws. Yes, viewership went down about 25% this season, but out of all 5 seasons – 4 of them were steady with 10 million viewers. You couldn’t give the show one more final season?! You disgraced the fans, the writers, and the cast & crew. Good job, ABC.

44. Liz says:

I only lost one of my shows, Better With You (which had a very satisfying end), so I can’t complain.

45. CJHokie says:

I stopped watching B&S whenever Kitty got cancer or whatever, so I’m okay with that cancellation. I did really like Mr. Sunshine, but I really, really liked Off the Map. If I didn’t get to see it live, it went to the top of my DVR watch list.

I love that ABC has the player app for iPad (and wish the other nets would follow suit), but I’m still ticked at them for the whole Happy Town thing. Guess in the future I will not start watching any new shows until they make it through a full season.

46. Shariff says:

I can’t believe NOF is cancelled!!! This was a great show that had potential. I’m pissed we will not find out about the Powell’s reveal with the NSA nor George’s outcome from the crash. Bad on ABC for not having faith to keep a great, family friendly show on the air for what will probably be another useless reality show.

47. karen says:

I loved Detroit 187. why?????????????

48. samnevarez says:

I can’t believe they cancel v no I have no reason to watch abc most of all the other show suck lol good bye abc

49. Robyn says:

I will miss brothers & sisters terribly. I got so invested in all of the characters on that show. I will admit that this season and season four were not as good, and there were a few episodes that were crappy this season, but closer to the end, I thought the episodes were getting much better. I think he major issue was the fact that rob Lowe, Emily vancamp, and Patricia wettig left the show, and that calista flockhart and Balthazar getty’s roles became minor. Its really too bad, I’m sad to see it go.

50. Deborah says:

I was hoping they would give V another season, but it seems ABC is getting as bad as FOX about good shows. I was looking forward to another season of V, because it was getting so good. Why can’t ABC finish up with a mini-series?

I wasn’t holding out a lot of hope for Off The Map even though I liked it. I didn’t like it as much as V. Off the Map should have gone on though. It was a solid show, and usually the lady who does Grey’s Anatomy is really good at shows. It is a sad day for TV that these two shows are lost.