Breaking: ABC Cancels Brothers & Sisters, V, Mr. Sunshine, Four Others

Friday the 13th turned out to be doomsday for Brothers & Sisters and V: ABC has axed both shows. The Alphabet net also pulled the plug on rookie series No Ordinary Family, Off the Map, Better With YouDetroit 1-8-7 and Mr. Sunshine.

Though, as Deadline reported, the network was trying to find a way to bring back B&S for an abridged final season, in the end, the suits elected to free up their post-Desperate Housewives time slot for a new show. As a result, last Sunday’s B&S season finale is now, retroactively, the series’ finale.

V, meanwhile, was on the upswing. Its ratings remained so-so, but after a shaky start, it returned for a second season on solid ground creatively. Heck, it even added to the cast the delectable Jane “Diana” Badler from the ’80s version.

So, are you surprised that the Walkers have popped their last cork? That the aliens are no longer a threat? And which dearly-departed ABC series will you miss the most?

For up-to-date intel on the fate of all your favorite bubble shows, bookmark TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard and check back frequently.

(polls)

1. Casey says:

Brothers & Sisters being canceled sucks! I guess the finale was an okay ending to the show. I mean, Sarah finally accepted Brody and her wedding went well. But Kitty’s surprise pregnancy was just revealed and now we’ll never get to see what happened. If ABC wanted to cancel the show, they never should have made it known that they were planning on doing another season! It’s annoying cause now I really want to know what they had planned for it! And the canceling of No Ordinary Family is really unfortunate. They ended it on a complete cliffhanger! I really wanted to see what would happen when George got powers. But now I guess I’ll never know. Way to suck, ABC.

2. thelstrikeman says:

I’m really surprise by the cancelation of B&S. The ratings weren’t that awful so I was sure ABS would have given it at least 13 more episodes. I think they couldn’t make a new deal with some cast members, that’s why.

3. Bruno says:

UGH I’M FURIOUS about them cancelling Brothers & Sisters!!!
    Yes, the show wasn’t at its best moment, but it’s an outrage to cancel a 5 season success AFTER the season finale! Not even giving them the chance to give it a decent ending is just coward!
    AHH!

4. LG says:

I’m afraid to visit this site today — too many shows are getting sacked!

5. frustrated says:

Over the past few days so many shows have been canceled…for what? All the new shows in the fall will probably just wind up getting cut as well. WTF? Who makes these decisions because they suck.

6. Jenn says:

COOL! I have 17 episodes of “The Event” on my DVR waiting to be watched. Now I can just delete them and free up a LOT of space. It was my, “I’ll get to it eventually,” show and it just never called out to me to come back. I will miss Mr. Sunshine though. I thought it had potential.

• Jenn says:

Guess I should probably pay better attention to where I’m posting. I could have sworn I was on the NBC cancellation article. DUH!

• Rachel Pierce says:

Jenn..you should try watching the Event.. ever since it came back from Hiatis the show has been riveting..everybody I know that was lukewarm to it agrees with me.. too bad they are cancelling that too. I just hope they wrap it up.

7. Christen says:

Sooo disappointed in ABC right now…

8. Pat says:

wish they would have given Detroit 187 the push they gave Body of Proof. It seems like Dana Delaney was on every five minutes pushing the show. I know it was ABC, but I will really miss Detroit
    187. I have never watched Body of Proof, even though I like Dana Delaney. I’m too upset.

9. sue says:

No reason for my household to watch ABC anymore…they have cancelled All My Children, One Life To Live, Detroit 187, Brothers and Sisters, and V. Wow…that’s the end of the road for us and AMC.

Though they just concluded their season, everyone should check out Justified on FX next season. Also a good choice is Men of a Certain Age. On premium cable, The Borgias is awesome. My husband likes Game of Thrones and Camelot too. And then there is Nurse Jackie. Who needs regular network tv anymore. It doesn’t matter if it’s “free” if it’s not watchable.

10. Lucy says:

The only ones on the list that I watched were Better With You and Mr Sunshine. With MS I’m not totally surprised. I love Matthew Perry but think he needs to find a good drama/comedy (like the great Studio 60) to really shine and break away from Chandler.
    I’m really upset that they let BWY go. It was laugh out loud funny and made the two hour comedy block on ABC perfect. I liked all the shows, now they’ll put some crap thing on at 8:30 and disrupt the flow completely.

11. Andy J says:

“V” was awesome! Why ABC!? That’s horrible!

12. Mayra says:

I’m surprised that the Walkers are no more. I was kinda tired of them, but not ready to let them go, you know?

And V. And Better with You. And No Ordinary Family. And Off the Map :/
    5 shows I like. One day. Not good, ABC, not good!

13. Tom says:

Let me get this straight. They renew a crap show like Cougar Town and not renew V…Is anyone else thinking WTF????

14. Shay says:

OMG I AM SHAKING & CRYING! Bring back Brothers & Sisters! Some other network should pick it up! My favorite show ever! How will Sundays survive! :(

15. Lyn says:

Yay! I liked all the actors on “Brothers & Sisters,” but am so glad it’s being canceled. The pairings and plots had gotten stale and stupid. Hope to see many in the cast on fresh new shows.

16. Matt says:

They should at least give Brothers & Sisters a 2-hour wrap-up TV movie event, or SOMETHING… This is just NOT FAIR!! No final season or series finale!!! Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh, ABC is awful…

17. Jared says:

The death of BROTHERS & SISTERS has me gutted! I can’t believe they couldn’t even give them (the cast/crew/show) a proper ending to such a great show. It will truly be missed.

18. Evan Meadow says:

Any chance ABC will want to do a finale 2 hour Brothers & Sisters movie to wrap up any possible lingering storylines?

19. Taelor says:

Tell me how the totally ratings-wise inconsistent Happy Endings was renewed whereas the (originally shaky, but lately) super consistent (in terms of ratings) V was cancelled. It makes no sense! The second season wad MUCH more consistent than others that have been renewed, and it’s not like all of the other ABC shows are getting great ratings! ABC has 4 or 5 really well-received shows; it slashes-and-burns the steady ones and keeps the excessively low ones. Sense? Nah.

• Dustin says:

Why bash a show that i love in HAPPY ENDINGS to make your point. I love HAPPY ENDINGS and for you to bash the show to prop V is very annoying and wrong.

20. Kyle says:

Will miss No Ordinary Family the most among these. I wish V had just accepted their fate and gave a proper ending with a resolution. It’s annoying that we are left with that cliffhanger ending.

21. Eric says:

I kinda liked Mr. Sunshine.
    It’s funny, when I saw the woman from Better Off Ted on it, I was like “well, at least she got work on a much more legitimate show”. Who’dve guessed it would actually do worse?

22. Gammo says:

Kinda bummed about Detroit 187. Michael Imperioli is great & Natalie Martinez is 1 of the most underrated sexy women on TV IMO.

23. fulton UK says:

Come on what you playing at any thing really great
    gets the AXE it sucks.. come on its not just usa viewers
    here iam from the uk. and love both and really look forward to them coming on.. and now THIS…

24. Kira says:

Brothers and Sisters has been awful for a few seasons. I’m really disappointed that they canceled Better With You, as it was doing pretty well in the ratings and was finally finding it’s stride as a show.

25. Mary c says:

A shame about NOF, and Mr.. sunshine. Never watched the others.

26. Corax says:

Detroit 187 was one of the best shows I’ve seen in a long time. ABC seemed to put very little into marketing it, and now they’ve canceled it. Once again, ABC has shown how little they value their viewers.

I’ll keep watching Castle and Modern Family (the only ABC shows I have left now that they’ve cancelled Detroit 187, V, and One Life to Live), but I won’t be investing my time in any new ABC shows since there doesn’t seem to be much point.

27. Nick says:

I AM PISSED!

28. Nick says:

I Agree with Corax. ABC you guys fail.

29. daniel says:

BROTHERS & SISTERS are you kidding me abc
    Mr. Sunshine Really matthew Perry the funniest man after steve carell its bad enough i stopped watching the office after steve left
    BETTER WITH YOU AFTER IT ENDED with a not so bad finale raitings
    WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY? and more further what the heck is wrong with Jenna elfman’s(BAD MOM) TO NOT PICK IT UP YET I FIND HER SHOWS AMAZING AND I FIND HER LIGHT AND HER SITCOMS ARE ALWAYS FANTASTIC AND FUNNY at least bring her back next fall at least plzzzzz you have nothing funny left on ur screens

30. Ace says:

Bummed about Off the Map, even though we all saw it coming. Oh, well. Maybe now Zach Gilford and Mamie Gummer can find something better to do.

31. Mark says:

Best cancellation: Brothers and Sisters. Rachel Griffiths’ character is probably the single most loathsome on all of television.
    Saddest cancellation: Brothers and Sisters. Sally Field never finds true happiness.

32. Tvaddict says:

Is this good or bad news for happy endings? Still need news on that & Nikita!!!!!!!!!!!

33. Eissa says:

They should have at let B&S finish up story lines and stuff.

34. Kristopher says:

Detroit 187 was a modern day NYPD Blue. I loved it. It had great stories, fantastic characters and just the right bit of heart, action and humor combined. It sucks that it was getting such low ratings.

35. Brenda says:

I’ll miss BWY and OTM, for sure! BWY was so cute and clever.

36. Ali says:

I know Brothers & Sisters had its ups and downs, but I was really hoping for just maybe half a season to really bring it all to a close. This just makes me sad. They keep DH, which in my opinion, has been terrible for a while.

I’m gonna miss the Walkers. They truly helped me out this past season.

37. JeffDJ says:

Wow! V, Off the Map and B&S. I was a fan of all three shows, though I never returned to B&S when it came back after the winter break. I guess I’m most disappointed with OTM, if for no other reason than it put Caroline Dhavernas back on my TV.

38. Erin says:

I’m upset about Off the Map, Better with You and No Ordinary Family. They all had a stellar cast and I am sad to see them go. I honestly don’t think there is an ABC show left on my DVR now. Ugh.

39. SAM says:

They cancelled Brothers & Sisters, but Desperate Housewives is still on air? Is this true?

• Penny says:

Yep, that’s true. They leave silly, garbage shows like “Desperate Housewives” on and take off a high quality show like “Brothers & Sisters”. It’s one of the few shows I look forward to and make a point to watch. I guess my tv will now be turned off on Sunday nights.

40. juliet says:

I’m pissed that No Ordinary Family and V were cancelled (especially given the cliffhangers for both shows). Then again, the comes from the same network Whose Daytime division thinks its viewers are dumb and will watch reality crap over quality soaps like All My Children, One Life to Live, and General Hospital. Brightside: I now have no reason to watch anything related to abc/disney after my soaps go off the air.

41. Dia says:

brothers and sisters ç___ç this show would have deserved a worthy series finale!

42. fearless halo says:

Omg! I freaking love OTM! I can’t believe its not coming back :( ABC there is something wrong with you! I kind of liked NOF too. Double noooooo

43. Kelly says:

I loved Better with You, it was a cute show!

44. Cheryl says:

Out of the 7 shows canceled, I watch 6! They are killing me. I am going to miss V and Better With You. Fantastic casts!!!

45. Michael says:

V was cancelled by ABC executives for political reasons.

This has been said for a long time. The writers of V had a political agenda at times, and the ABC exeuctives are Republicans that didn’t like the way it was going to be headed in Season 3 now that President Obama went into Pakistan without permision in order to kill the most wanted criminal in the world, Osama Bin Laden!

You can read all about this controversial subject here:

Take it from me, there is more to this than meets the eye! When you read this article, you will realize that politcs were involved with the cancellation of V far more than ratings.

46. Dinah says:

I’m most upset over the cancellation of ABC soaps, especially One Life to Live. Now everybody will see why daytime viewers are so upset. ABC/Disney doesn’t care about what viewers want to watch. It’s all about cheap programming over quality.

47. Elizabeth says:

I loved Better With You. It was funny. I liked how they compared the 3 different relationships. And I really like Joanna Garcia Swisher

48. Jacki says:

ABC, what are you thinking???? Getting rid of Brothers & Sisters, V, No Ordinary Family, even Mr. Sunshine. B&S, is one of the best shows on your network, V was a welcome break from all the reality crap! NOF was a family show that parents actually WANTED to watch with their kids (not every show needs to have singing and dancing to qualify as family programming), and Mr. Sunshine was a smart comedy. ABC, you have canceled several shows that kept me glued to your network, there’s very little left to keep me coming back. Big mistake! Cable programming is surpassing you in leaps and bounds, USA, Bravo, and TNT are quickly becoming my go to stations.

49. Mikey says:

ABC = Another Busted Channel!!

Thank you for cable TV like AMC, A&E & TNT and USA!
    (looks like the networks want to force us to buy cable since you can’t get those cable networks on Hulu!!)