Breaking: ABC Cancels Brothers & Sisters, V, Mr. Sunshine, Four Others

Get More: Cancellations, News, Scoop

Friday the 13th turned out to be doomsday for Brothers & Sisters and V: ABC has axed both shows. The Alphabet net also pulled the plug on rookie series No Ordinary Family, Off the Map, Better With YouDetroit 1-8-7 and Mr. Sunshine.

Though, as Deadline reported, the network was trying to find a way to bring back B&S for an abridged final season, in the end, the suits elected to free up their post-Desperate Housewives time slot for a new show. As a result, last Sunday’s B&S season finale is now, retroactively, the series’ finale.

V, meanwhile, was on the upswing. Its ratings remained so-so, but after a shaky start, it returned for a second season on solid ground creatively. Heck, it even added to the cast the delectable Jane “Diana” Badler from the ’80s version.

So, are you surprised that the Walkers have popped their last cork? That the aliens are no longer a threat? And which dearly-departed ABC series will you miss the most?

For up-to-date intel on the fate of all your favorite bubble shows, bookmark TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard and check back frequently.

Comments (526)

• I hope this is good news for Happy Endings!!

Comment by Kenbud – May 13, 2011 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ME TOO! That’s my only show I’m really worried/eager about.

Comment by Dana – May 13, 2011 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s been renewed!

Comment by Anissa – May 13, 2011 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Detroit 1-8-7 was an excellent show with a wonderful cast. It’s such a shame that ABC cancelled it. Now we’ll be left with just a handful of written shows and the rest ridiculous and brainless reality t.v. Way to go ABC.

Comment by GK – May 13, 2011 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m REALLY disappointed over Off the Map. I really loved that show.

Comment by Ruby – May 13, 2011 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO! I really liked Detroit 187, I think ABC is making a mistake not giving it another year and a chance to catch on. When these networks just cancel every new show each year without giving any of them an actual chance i’m beginning to think I won’t even bother with any new shows this next season and just stick with SVU/CSI/NCIS and any other same old same old show that I know won’t get cancelled.

Comment by Ash – May 13, 2011 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved both shows. I just hoped they could bring B&s back for a real finale. Too bad!

Comment by D. – May 13, 2011 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one that’ll miss Off the Map?? I love that show cuz it had the same effect that Grey’s had when it first started and it was original! I don’t know of any other shows about surgeons in the jungle and the characters were great. Don’t even get me started on V! That show was amazing! They were just getting to some answeres and the individual stories were starting to get really interesting.. Please tell me that they’ll find some way to sew up loose ends and show the last few episodes like NBC did for Chase!

Comment by Sally W. – May 13, 2011 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I will miss it also. Many of my friends like it also. You are noit alone.

Comment by mary – May 13, 2011 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not surprised Brothers & Sisters got cancelled. It was getting worse and worse. First Tommy left, then Rebecca, then Holly lost her mind and the final straw was Robert dying. The show was doomed when that happened. It had lost it’s magic touch… Stories went from bad to unbearable; Justin/Rebecca splitting, silly Saul story lines, Ojah sold, Sarah/Luc had no chemistry at all and the golden couple Kitty/Robert ended. Unfortunately because it used to be one of my favorite shows… I enjoyed four amazing seasons but after watching parts of the time warp and seeing Kitty flirting with another man, I quit watching. Robert’s death was the final straw. What a pity. It was so promising. It could have gone on for years and years if they had continued the amazing writing they had done these first seasons. Too bad, it wasn’t meant to be.

I’ve also watched No Ordinary Family, Mr Sunshine, and Off The Map. Not surprised those got axed as well. It wasn’t fun to watch.

Comment by Caro – May 13, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO WHIT OUT WALKER? ABC WTF??????????????????????????????

Comment by ilona – May 13, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No more “No Oridnary Family”??? Loved that show. Geez, why all the cuts? Welp, ABC, I’m done with you! Adios!¡¡

Comment by JAC – May 13, 2011 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO WAY! I LOVED NO ORDINARY FAMILY! It was just getting really good. I couldn’t wait to see what they had in mind for next season! This sucks! ABC never gives anything a chance. Desperate Housewives was awful this season. It should have been cancelled and switched time slots with No Ordinary Family. Boo on you ABC!

Comment by Dori Rosenthal – May 13, 2011 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Detroit 187 was the best new cop show in years. ABC should be ashamed they didn’t stand behind it.

Comment by PJL – May 13, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll miss Mr. Sunshine! It had great potential! And it was nice to finally see Matthew Perry again…

Comment by Eline – May 13, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really sad to see OTM go. Not that I didn’t see it coming, but I felt like it had real potential, had it been given a real chance, and especially since the season ended with a cliffhanger..

Comment by Dominique – May 13, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • V was a great show yea sure it was cheesy but still it was some good sci-fi and Elizabeth Mitchell is Uh-Maze-ing.Kind of bummed about Mr Sunshine it was a fun comedy and it means Matthew Perrys out of a job but it does give Happy Endings better odds especially since it wasn’t in this list!*CROSSES FINGERS*As for B&S thats sad news for the fans as I know it has a big devoted following I used to love the show but lost interest around Season 3 but RIP B&S anyways tell Gilmore Girls and Veronice Mars I said hey gurls.

Comment by Elle – May 13, 2011 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as ABC doesn’t cancel Better With You I wont complain!

Comment by alison – May 13, 2011 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They best not cancel that great comedy! Aren’t too many great comedys out there nowadays in my opinion.

Comment by Robin – May 13, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe I misunderstood the article, but doesn’t it say Better with You got axed too?

Comment by Amber – May 13, 2011 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It must have just been added as it was originally 4 freshman series…I’m bummed. I really liked Better :(

Comment by Anissa – May 13, 2011 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Both B&S and V were two of my favourite shows!!!! And I thought No Ordinary Family and Off the map were really good as well.
    BadbadbadBAd Friday the 13th…. :-(

Comment by Svada – May 13, 2011 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC. I don’t care about any if these shows but know a lot of people who did. This network will just continue to fail. As soon as OLTL is actually ended I will never, NEVER watch another show on this network. It’s the only show I watch on there now because they’ve cancelled everything I’ve ever liked watching. I’m beginning to wonder if there is a long term gas leak in their home office because the decision makers are all obviously high.

Comment by Ikitty – May 13, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When I saw and heard the voiceover at the end of Brothers & Sisters, I thought to myself that it was a wonderful fitting series finale if it were to get cancelled.

However, V – Noooo, it still had so much more story to tell.

Comment by Jon – May 13, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That REALLY makes me mad about V. I am a diehard V fan! They had such a great 2nd season, and the season finale set up next season so well! Stupid ABC. They keep cancelling all the good shows & leaving ridiculous nonsense like Desperate Housewives.

Comment by Missy J – May 13, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok this is more rage that I have felt since Melinda Doolittle got knocked off Idol. How on Earth that is going to be the series finale for an Emmy nominated show is unacceptable. Not to mention that the network lied to us again and said they weren’t canceling the show and then they cancelled it.

Comment by TheReasonsY – May 13, 2011 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So upset about V. Last season was amazing.

Comment by Jackie – May 13, 2011 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC sucks. I am so mad that they keep stupid ass shows like the Bachelor & Bachelorette and cancel good programming like Brothers & Sisters and Detroit 187. What is wrong with you TV Execs??? Do you even watch TV. Reality shows are NOT our reality. We love dramas and dramadies we can relate to and invest our emotions into the characters and get lost in their lives. Who the hell cares about BS bachelors, bachelor pads or stupid people getting hit with things on Wipeout…yet you insult us by keeping these programs on.
    Brothers & Sisters and Detroit 187 were just as good as Private Practice, Desperate Housewives and Greys and they are renewed.
    I say it again, what’s wrong with you people??

Comment by Maree – May 13, 2011 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’re keeping on the shows they think they’ll earn the most money on. Generally, the shows with the best numbers. If they made their decisions based on quality, they’d have to cancel ALL the shows when they went out of business. If you’re going to ask “what’s wrong with you people,” your question would be better directed at the American public. (That said, I’m sorry some of your shows got cancelled! I’m going to miss B&S too!)

Comment by Dana – May 13, 2011 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am completely with you but Dana has a point. Those other shows are so cheap to produce so they make a considerable amount of money for the number of people who watch them. I do think it is so sad though that most people would rather watch the crappy shows you mentioned than something like Detroit 187, which I feel was one of the best shows to come on TV in a really long time.

Comment by Deena – May 13, 2011 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t believe they cancelled Brothers & Sisters! Just loved that show. Way to go ABC, making “solid” choices for your new season line up already….freaking ridiculous.

Comment by Corinne – May 13, 2011 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i’m glad B&S got cancelled, very snobbish show, V never cared about…i’m kinda nervous about ABC’s comedy shows, They are loading up, hopefully Happy Endings and Better with You is safe

Comment by bmo – May 13, 2011 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m bummed that they took off “No Ordinary Family.” Why is it the shows with fun characters and good plots get run out the door but things like “Two and a Half Men” (Which is a terrible show, IMO) has people bending over backward to save!!! UGH! We finally had a good show for the whole family to enjoy and what do they do??? AX it before it even has a chance to find it’s footing! Honestly, are there people in these boardrooms saying things like “Oh my…look a that show…It’s fun! It’s family friendly!! It’s got interesting plots and characters that families can enjoy! Somebody get rid of it FAST!”

Comment by Toni – May 13, 2011 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn! Brothers & Sisters! Damn! Good the series had a proper ending but I realy had my hopes up!

Comment by Ingmar – May 13, 2011 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHAT! WHAT! No no no this is unacceptable…not Brothers & Sisters! :( I am so SO upset about this. What can we do to fix this? Can we do anything to fix this? :(

Bummed about No Ordinary Family and perhaps slightly about Off the Map. I was liking both these shows. :( Though not nearly enough as I am about Brothers & Sisters.

Though I suppose the season finale could play as a series finale…I mean there were a few loose ends like Kitty’s pregnancy especially, but at least there wasn’t a huge cliffhanger or anything. But But it really can’t be…goodness I can’t even form a decent sentence!!!

Comment by Robin – May 13, 2011 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, since I am only the second person to miss Detroit 187, I guess we know why it is getting cancelled. I know it wasn’t great yet; but I really thought it had potential. Oh well, the days of letting a show breathe a little or grow into its own are long gone. Farewell, 187!

Comment by BethBooth – May 13, 2011 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @BethBooth Since you posted there have been several other comments about Detroit 1-8-7. There were lots of people on Twitter and Facebook too trying to make some impression on ABC. Maybe they should have made the suspects sing or do stupid human tricks…….

Comment by PJL – May 13, 2011 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With Mr. Sunshine getting cancelled it should basically gurantee a pickup for Happy Endings! Which is awesome! It’s one of the only half-hour sitcoms on Network TV that I literatly Laugh Out Loud at every week. Plus, as an added bonus the chicks are hot! Haha.

Comment by Louie – May 13, 2011 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh ABC what are you doing to me, now you are canceling Brothers and Sisters, Off the Map, and Mr. Sunshine. I think I hate you even more than I did when you decided to cancel One Life to Live!

Comment by Erica – May 13, 2011 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gosh! Not V. I’m hurt and mad. Now, I need a Bliss from Anna, or I will turn on my rage and off someone with my tail.

Comment by T – May 13, 2011 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • B&S needed to go – it just hasn’t been the same the last couple of seasons.

For me the saddest part of this article was the confirmation that Detroit 187 is cancelled. I really loved that show.

Comment by mundisue – May 13, 2011 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m most sad about All My Children and One Life to Live being cancelled. This is awful news about Brothers and Sisters. My husband liked No Ordinary Family and V…Why is ABC killing all it’s scripted shows??

Comment by imasoapfan – May 13, 2011 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bummer, I like Brothers & Sisters and Off the Map. :/

Comment by TheSveed – May 13, 2011 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC needs to renew Detroit 187. It was brilliant.

Comment by prish – May 13, 2011 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • V did such a great turn around at the end that I really hope it would return. They should revisit this for maybe a mini-series type run instead like the original show.

Comment by Wayne Ancell – May 13, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • och, i liked mr. sunshine :(

Comment by Leila – May 13, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Off the map shouldn’t be cancelled such a good show and they left way to many questions unanswered please don’t cancel it

Comment by michael – May 13, 2011 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bummer. Off The Map was my guilty pleasure, and Detroit 187 had grown on me. V lost me after the first season because it took way too long for them to air the second one and I moved on. I never watched Brothers & Sisters but I know it had some hardcore fans; my condolences to them.

Comment by Chatty – May 13, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously, Mr. Sunshine? That was literally my favorite show of the year. So much for “yay.”

Comment by ss – May 13, 2011 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • wow, and Better With You. The other show I loved. The only thing left is Cougar Town. :(

Comment by ss – May 13, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn! B&S, V and Off the map?! :O
    not to sad about mr.sunshine though, kinda lame.

Comment by Mafalda – May 13, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOO! I will really really really miss Brother’s and Sisters! I LOVED that show so much!!!! =( And they didn’t give Off the Map much of a chance…I was really getting into that show.

Comment by Rachel – May 13, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is why I have practically given up on episodic TV. Seems every show I like gets cancelled without any resolution. Loved V!

Comment by Richardfromno – May 13, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am truly saddened that Brothers & Sisters is not coming back!!!! I feel like a part of the Walker Family! Top notch writing & superb acting. Big mistake ABC!!!!!

Comment by Nanci – May 13, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Stories went from bad to unbearable; Justin/Rebecca splitting, silly Saul story lines, Ojah sold, Sarah/Luc had no chemistry at all and the golden couple Kitty/Robert ended. Unfortunately because it used to be one of my favorite shows.”

I agree with most of this. I also hated the retconning of Sara’s paternity and Kevin and Scotty behaving more like asexual roommates than a couple for most of the season.

The last episode wasn’t bad for a series finale. It obviously wasn’t intended to be one but he last few minutes of the episode, with everyone happy and dancing and Nora’s voice over had a series finale feel to it.

Comment by anonymous – May 13, 2011 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First AMC and the OLTL and now B&S and V. Are they kidding? What is wrong with ABC? I don’t even want to watch ABC anymore. Next will be Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice, Castle, Oprah’s gone, Oh yeah, there’s the News. We can watch that if we want to.

Comment by Joan – May 13, 2011 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We’ve heard the news – ABC has cancelled V – which is why it is important, now more than ever to join PROJECT ALICE in our fight to get V renewed on a different network! We don’t have very much time so PLEASE write (and if you’ve written before, write again & tell your friends to as well!) to the following WB execs!

ATTN: Mr. Bruce Rosenblum
    President, Warner Bros. Television Group
    Warner Brothers
    4000 Warner Blvd.
    Building 2, Room 215
    Burbank, CA 91522

ATTN: Mr. Peter Roth
    President, Warner Bros. Television
    4000 Warner Blvd.
    Building 140, Room 229
    Burbank, CA 91522

And remember to include in your letters that you are a part of PROJECT ALICE!!!

Comment by PROJECT ALICE – May 13, 2011 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • None of these cancellations come as a surprise. While I watched Brothers & Sisters, V, and Off the Map, I’ve accepted that they aren’t coming back. I treated Brothers and Sisters last show as it series finale, Goodbye Walker family.

Comment by Christina – May 13, 2011 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad, if expected, news about V. The show finally seemed to be hitting its stride. I wonder if there’s a chance of another net (SyFy maybe?) picking it up.

Comment by Cassandra – May 13, 2011 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What has already be started must be completed

Comment by Tegajojo – May 13, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post