Ratings: A Better Week For All of ABC's Sitcoms

The season finale of bubble show Better With You led a strong night for ABC’s Wednesday comedy megablock, with all five shows showing small to double-digit gains.

The Better With You childbirth (6 mil/1.9) delivered a 19 percent bump in the demo, while drawing 8 percent more total viewers. That was coming off of The Middle (7.2 mil/2.1), which saw its own demos rise 5 percent.

In the 9 o’clock hour, Modern Family (10.1 mil/4.2) reversed a pesky downward trend by gaining 11 percent in the demo, and Cougar Town (6.14 mil/2.4) scored its own 9 prceent increase.

Come 10 pm, the midseason comedy Happy Endings closed the night by holding steady in the demo (1.7) while roping in a few more total viewers with each of its two new episodes (4.3 mil, 3.5 mil) — and just in time for the annual upfront schedule reveal next week. Cross fingers!

Elsewhere this Wednesday:

8/7c | American Idol‘s Top 4 sing-off drew 22.4 million total viewers and a 6.9 demo rating, up 9 percent week-to-week and plus 17 percent year-over-year. Survivor‘s penultimate episode held steady at 7.2 mil/2.1.

9/8c | Criminal Minds was up a bit, with 13.1 million viewers and a 3.3 rating. Fox’s freshly canceled Breaking In (7.65 mil/2.4) saw a 6 percent gain in viewers while dipping 4 percent in the demo.

10/9c | Criminal Minds: SB (9.1 mil/2.0) was tops in viewers, while SVU (8 mil/2.4) led the demo. Both shows were pretty much on par with their week-ago tallies.

What were you watching this Wednesday? Do you think ABC should renew BWU for a Season 2?

1. Dan says:

Gonna be sad if Better With You doesn’t come back next season. Never missed an episode this season.

2. Tyler says:

I for one, will not be happy if Happy Endings gets canceled. I mean, holding steady ratings at 10 PM on a Wednesday? What more does ABC want from it?

3. Liz says:

I still can’t believe that Fox canceled Breaking In when it’s numbers are better than ABCs Cougar Town and The Middle. Since when has Fox had higher standards for its shows than ABC.

• BRETT says:

Demo is more important, and this week BREAKING IN and COUGAR TOWN scored the same demo. The difference is that COUGAR TOWN is pretty consistent, whereas BREAKING IN has been dropping since it’s premier. Fox doesn’t have a lot of room on its schedule, and it just wasn’t doing what it took.

4. BRETT says:

I haven’t watched SVU in a while, but stayed up later to catch the west coast airing because I watched THE REAL WORLD at 10. It was really good. Surprisingly good. It’s consistently one of the best, and I can’t wait till next season, I will try to watch more regularly. So happy for COUGAR TOWN, too! All you naysayers just need to look at the demo.

5. Doris says:

I love Better With You, and I do hope it’s back. Although I liked Jennifer Finnigan in Close to Home, she’s better in comedy.

• Dave says:

Anyone who remembers Committed on NBC from a few years ago, ironically where her boyfriend there was played by Josh Cooke, her boyfriend on BwY, would agree.

BwY has improved greatly in the second half of its first season, so I’d like to see it given a second season.

As for Happy Endings, I agree with everyone else. It’s done all it needed to and more despite a terrible slot, so hopefully it’ll come back next year. It deserves to come back more than Mr Sunshine.

• Kris says:

Americans probably have never even heard of this show but I grew up watching Jennifer on Student Bodies. LOVE her! That show was basically my childhood. My 90s were spent watching her and Kathryn Winnick (Hannah from Bones) fighting over Cody and watching Elisha Cuthbert on Popular Mechanics for Kids. Oh the 90s, what a simpler time.

6. Mikaylah says:

I watched Better With You, Cougar Town, Breaking In, Happy Endings and Criminal Minds. All were great. I really like Better With You. The characters are all enjoyable and easy to connect with. Cougar Town is always just knee slapping funny, and last night’s “Torres Family” story line was no exception. I like the quirky feel of Breaking In, and I am really enjoying Christian Slater as a more than crazy boss. Happy Endings is also very funny, and the whole ensemble just meld so naturally. I love how all the different pairing work. And CM was amazing, as always, although Morgan isn’t my favorite character.

7. Jericho227 says:

Better with You to me seems like it is trying too hard. I liked it at first, until JoAnna Garcia’s character was revealed to be pregnant. We had this with her back on Reba, where it was done humorously, here, it just seems over done. Happy Endings is a 1st for me, the 1st comedy I have ever gotten into that doesn’t have a laugh track or audience laughter. The actors seems to be having a ball and have great chemistry, especially Damon Wayans Jr., he has chemistry with everyone and Casey Wlson who is just steals every scene she’s in. Hope this gets picked up for a 2nd Season

• Sam says:

Hmm, this kind of makes sense. I don’t like Wayans Jr. because he acts like he’s in a laugh-track sitcom, few of which I enjoy. I guess if you like that sort of thing, he comes off better than if you like 30 Rock or Community.

• Lauren says:

The actors on 30 Rock act like they’re waiting for their laugh track…I think Happy Endings is fantastic and so are all the cast, hope it gets renewed!

8. Lena120 says:

I think Cougar Town and Happy Endings are the funniest shows on ABC’s Wednesdays. I hope both return next season.

9. raypro says:

I think BWY improved over the season. I think it’s a good comedy that provides enough laughs after a stressful day. It doesn’t pretend to be hip or trendy. The little vignettes that contrast the three couples and start the show are the best.

Please bring it back ABC.

10. Kate says:

Please please please keep Better With You and Happy Endings. Better With You’s finale was the best yet, and it’s been getting better all season. Happy Endings has an unfortunate time slot, but is one of the funniest comedies on TV right now.

11. Jonathan says:

Yay! I’m glad some people at least are watching Happy Endings. I don’t want to have another Better Off Ted on my hands. Max is one of the best characters on TV right now, and the ensemble is clicking right out of the gate.

• Kay says:

Oh my god, AMEN! Better Off Ted getting cancelled was an absolute tragedy. I still miss seeing Phil and Lem :(

I too love Happy Endings. I felt like they started out a bit slow but these last couple of episodes seemed to work much better. I think if they were given more time to flesh out the characters and some backstory, it’d be even more funny. JMO

• Hells says:

A tragedy is ABC’s cancellation of two legendary soaps. One middling sitcom nobody watched getting the axe isn’t bringing about the end of a genre and bringing unemployment to literally thousands of people.

• Lauren says:

The reason soaps are getting cancelled are because they are of terrible quality. Better Off Ted was critically acclaimed. The only sad thing about those shows ending are the jobs being lost, but really, they’ve been around for a looooooong time, it’s time to go.

12. bmospr04 says:

For a laugh track show, Better with you is probably one of the funnier ones in recent memory. It’s not laugh out loud funny but you’ll have a small laugh a few times throughout the show and that gets you more involved. Hope ABC brings back all of the shows or maybe puts together Better with You and Happy Endings within a hour block separate from Wednesday. Better yet, they should just lock up Wednesday and save Happy Endings and Cougar Town for a midseason pickup. I see ABC dominating the Comedy shows next year with the 2.5 Men shenanigans and with Steve Carell leaving the Office, if they aren’t already

13. Sal says:

Better with You got much better as the season progressed and I would love to see it get a chance for a second season. The cast have all clicked now and the writing is good…Josh Cooke and Debra Rupp are really funny..

And Happy Endings…needs a happy endings. It is well written and cast is already in synch…I think this has potential to be another hit…

hopefully someone from ABC will read these posts!

14. fernando says:

ABC be smart and pick up Happy Endings for season 2!

15. Tavis says:

After laughing so hard at Cougar Town, I don’t like to stick around for a 10 o’clock comedy. I like to end the night on a high note and get ready for bed.

16. Geoff says:

I loved Better With You all season, and thought it one of the funniest traditional sitcoms in the last few seasons, but the last 30 seconds of the finale angered me. Maddie was a strong female character all season, then that’s quickly erased by her sudden realisation that she needs to give up her career, stay home and pop out babies if she’s going to feel fulfilled in life. Really? Are we back in the 1950s?

I still hope the series gets renewed though – I love the cast.

17. Carm says:

I like all of the ABC wednesday comedies. I really hope Happy Endings comes back. I hope BWY does too, but not as much.

18. sashay says:

I’ve never seen Better With You or Happy Endings, in fact I know nothing about them or when they air. Are they severely under-marketed? No wonder shows are cancelled so quickly, when they have no support from the networks.

19. Stef says:

Dear Fox: You know the only good thing about Breaking In was DUTCH. So stop torturing us. Go ahead and give MICHAEL ROSENBAUM a spin-off. Go ahead, do it.

20. Amy says:

I really enjoy all the ABC comedies and hope Better With You and Happy Endings makes the cut.

21. Amber says:

SVU was SOOOOOO good last night. That and Modern Family are pretty much all I watch on Wednesdays now. I am in mourning for my Wednesday night dates with Justified and Timothy Olyphant’s cowboy hat. Thank goodness I get to see the hat again on Joel McHale on Community tonight! The funeral for season 2 of Community will be held tomorrow. In lieu of flowers, please send me pictures of Joel McHale in that hat.

22. jess says:

I was interested in Happy Endings and Better With You, but I won’t be watching anything new on ABC, and once January rolls around and OLTL goes off the air, I will *never* watch another moment of ABC programming, nor will millions of other daytime fans. I hope every show they mount for the rest of the decade tanks.

23. Jack says:

I hope Happy Endings doesn’t get the ax, I freaking love that show.

24. Beth J. says:

I really like Better With You. It is cute, funny and has some great acting. I also think it as gotten better as the season has gone on and like it even more now. I have watched it from day one and really enjoy the inuendos and clever writing. I will be very upset if this show does not come back next season. Give some of these shows to catch on and build a following please!

25. Alphonse says:

I LOVE Better With You! I’ve been watching from the start and it has just gotten better over time. I love that there is a whole block of good shows and not some lame show stuffed in between on Weds. night – keeps me on ABC for the whole night, not skipping all over between shows. Keep them all – The Middle, Better With You, Modern Family, Cougar Town, Happy Endings!

Ok, I sounded a little cheerleader-ish there but I’m so tired of getting a good lineup and then half of it gets cancelled.