Comic-Con

Breaking: NBC Renews Parenthood, Orders Playboy Club, Grimm and Inception-Like Drama

Thus far, all the news coming out of NBC’s early upfronts activity is good. On the heels of reports that Chuck will be back for a fifth season, a source tells TVLine that Parenthood and Harry’s Law also have been renewed for the fall.

NBC — which on Wednesday ordered to series Prime Suspect, Smash and the comedies Up All Night and Whitney — also has greenlit another three new shows: The Playboy Club, Grimm and Awake (fka REM).

Playboy Club stars Eddie Cibrian (CSI: Miami), Amber Heard (Zombieland), Jenna Dewan-Tatum (Step Up), David Krumholtz (Numb3rs) Laura Benati (Eli Stone), and is set at the titular infamous destination in 1960s Chicago.

A fantastical drama, Grimm stars David Giuntoli (Privileged) as a detective whose mission is to protect humans living in a world where Grimm’s Fairy Tale characters actually exist. Silas Weir Mitchell (Prison Break), Sasha Roiz (Caprica) and Kate Burton also star.

Awake, which comes to us from Kyle Killen (Lone Star) and throughout the development season has been pegged as an Inception-flavored thriller, stars Jason Isaacs (Brotherhood) as a cop who wakes from an injury to find himself living in two separate realities., Laura Allen (Terriers), Cherry Jones (24), Steve Harris (The Practice) and Michaela McManus (The Vampire Diaries) also star.

1. Amely says:

I think you meant that Chuck is about to get a fifth season… not a fourth.

2. Maria says:

Yay! Parenthood is the best show on television right now – so glad NBC realizes how fabulous it is!

3. Tim says:

So has Chuck been officially renewed or not? I’m confused.

• Esta says:

First time following the up fronts? Nothing is official official “official” until the networks make their announcements next week.

• Tim says:

It just seems that the wording in this topic etc. is more concrete than in the CHUCK topic. Maybe it’s just me worrying then.

4. Derrick says:

Things aren’t looking good for ‘Wonder Woman’, are they?

5. Allison N says:

I’m excited for Grimm!

6. JRose48 says:

So…Grimm is just the comic Fables…I would have preferred just having them make Fables.

7. jenna says:

this show grimm sounds a lot like ginnifer goodwin’s new pilot (yet to be picked up i believe)in which she plays snow white on abc. What are the chances there would be 2 fairy tale shows!

• melissa says:

that was my first thought too! I heard ginnifer talk about that pilot on jimmy kimmel and after reading about grimm for nbc its like seriously, what are the chances!

8. Corinne says:

Happy to see Parenthood will be back for a 3rd season. I wish they would move it to another time slot so it’s not having to compete with TGW for viewers. It’s a rare gem that can make a true “family” show with so much heart without making it corny or unrealistic.

• Caro says:

I agree. Parenthood is one of the best shows on tv right now! It deserves more viewers, it’s really amazing and special!

9. Bells says:

“Grimm” sounds suspiciously like Michael Buckley’s “Sister’s Grimm” series…

• Beth says:

I thought the same thing. Kind of disappointed that they didn’t go for it and just make the Sisters Grimm a series.

10. Amy says:

Yeah Parenthood!

11. MikaC says:

Awake sounds more like Life on Mars than Inception.

12. Sarah C says:

I really wish they would greenlight 17th Precinct. BSG reunion!! (Well, sorta…) But if they’ve got Grimm, I really doubt they would okay a similar show.

13. D says:

Matt- any info on Precinct 17?

14. Lisa says:

SO happy to see Parenthood back! Best acting on television, period.

15. Amber says:

Good news for Parenthood! And that Grimm show is the first new show to sound interesting to me. I will probably tune in.

16. Alex says:

So I guess this means BD is done with SVU. Sad day. :(

17. cassi says:

I don’t really know why they had to change the name from ‘REM’ to ‘AWAKE’ but I’m really exited for Killen’s show. I hope it’s not as disappointed as ‘Lone Star’.

18. Wendy says:

Woo hoo!! I’m so happy about PARENTHOOD! It is by far my favorite show on TV right now, with one of the best casts ever assembled. I’m so glad that we’re going to get more time with the Bravermans!

19. jasin says:

Stoked for Harry’s Law and Parenthood. Intrigued by Playboy and Awake.

20. Robin says:

Yay! So SO happy that Parenthood has been renewed! And pleased about Harry’s Law as well. :)

21. Saracen Riggins says:

YAYYYY for Parenthood!!!! Now just cancel The Event and bring Jason Ritter back to the role of Mark Cyr on Parenthood and life will be complete.

22. Guy says:

Well considering the source who said that Wonder Woman was picked up on other sites has now been squashed that it has been passed on could mean Chuck is gone too. It could all be a hoax if you like. Imagine that. I still can’t see why NBC would pick Chuck up. Its been flatlining in the ratings. Just makes no sense to pick it up. Sorry Chuck fans. I won’t believe anything until i hear it from NBC and all the other networks from now on.

• John says:

The reason NBC would pick up Chuck despite the ratings is that, first of all, they can’t afford to be stuck promoting an ENTIRELY new lineup of dramas. Second, the show’s fanbase, despite being somewhat tiny, is very, VERY vocal, which means that canceling it right now is a bad PR move that NBC just doesn’t want or need right now.

• Tim says:

So essentially the Chuck source has become invalidated at this point? Is the fact that there are not conflicting reports GOOD news?

Honestly I’m just getting more and more worried that the Chuck Season 5 renewal wasn’t true. Would really like someone to confirm that the news about Parenthood and Harry’s Law are equally as skeptical as the Chuck renewal rather than more concrete like they sound.

23. l says:

YAY Parenthood…I am soooooooooooo happy!!!

24. Lina says:

So happy for Parenthood. the Best show right now, awesome cast. Another year with the Bravermans will be awesome.

25. Caro says:

OMG that’s awesome….I am soo happy, Parenthood is such a grerat show!

26. Lorie says:

Yay for Harry’s Law!

27. Ashley says:

“Grimm” sounds interesting, kind of in the same vein as “Supernatural”. I can’t wait for the official announcements next week!

28. Linderella49 says:

It’s great news about Parenthood! Prime Suspect and Smash both look worth a look as well.

29. Bethany says:

Why are people still hiring Michaela McManus? She is undeniably gorgeous, but cannot act her way out of a paper sack. My word.

• Romain says:

I hated her character with the fire of a thousand suns on The Vampire Diaries, but I have no problem with the actress herself.

30. Mari says:

The best news PARENTHOOD is back ,the best show ever,Thanks Nbc no more reality show more drama and Braverman family in Parenthood,you guys make my day :-) Love it,this is the best news ever :-9

31. Romain says:

Really excited about Parenthood’s renewal, I love this show so much! I’m not interested in the least in Grimm, but will definitely be watching The Playboy Club. I’m undecided regarding Awake, I’ll wait for a trailer to make up my mind on that one.

I guess things even out for David E. Kelley with Wonder Woman not going to series but Harry’s Law getting a second season.

32. ChristineOH says:

Parenthood!!!

33. Maitefa says:

Fabulous news! I usually watch Parenthood and DVR The Good Wife. I agree that this is one of the best scripted and casted shows on TV!

34. jan O says:

Thrilled, positively thrilled to see that Parenthood was renewed! It is one of the most realistic shows on TV and it deals with real problems and situations for these times. So happy that it will be back!