Comic-Con

Breaking: NBC Renews Parenthood, Orders Playboy Club, Grimm and Inception-Like Drama

Thus far, all the news coming out of NBC’s early upfronts activity is good. On the heels of reports that Chuck will be back for a fifth season, a source tells TVLine that Parenthood and Harry’s Law also have been renewed for the fall.

NBC — which on Wednesday ordered to series Prime Suspect, Smash and the comedies Up All Night and Whitney — also has greenlit another three new shows: The Playboy Club, Grimm and Awake (fka REM).

Playboy Club stars Eddie Cibrian (CSI: Miami), Amber Heard (Zombieland), Jenna Dewan-Tatum (Step Up), David Krumholtz (Numb3rs) Laura Benati (Eli Stone), and is set at the titular infamous destination in 1960s Chicago.

A fantastical drama, Grimm stars David Giuntoli (Privileged) as a detective whose mission is to protect humans living in a world where Grimm’s Fairy Tale characters actually exist. Silas Weir Mitchell (Prison Break), Sasha Roiz (Caprica) and Kate Burton also star.

Awake, which comes to us from Kyle Killen (Lone Star) and throughout the development season has been pegged as an Inception-flavored thriller, stars Jason Isaacs (Brotherhood) as a cop who wakes from an injury to find himself living in two separate realities., Laura Allen (Terriers), Cherry Jones (24), Steve Harris (The Practice) and Michaela McManus (The Vampire Diaries) also star.

Comments (50)

• I think you meant that Chuck is about to get a fifth season… not a fourth.

Comment by Amely – May 12, 2011 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Parenthood is the best show on television right now – so glad NBC realizes how fabulous it is!

Comment by Maria – May 12, 2011 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yayyyyyyy

Comment by lipsticksocialism – May 13, 2011 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So has Chuck been officially renewed or not? I’m confused.

Comment by Tim – May 12, 2011 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • First time following the up fronts? Nothing is official official “official” until the networks make their announcements next week.

Comment by Esta – May 12, 2011 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It just seems that the wording in this topic etc. is more concrete than in the CHUCK topic. Maybe it’s just me worrying then.

Comment by Tim – May 12, 2011 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Things aren’t looking good for ‘Wonder Woman’, are they?

Comment by Derrick – May 12, 2011 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NBC passed on it, presumeably in favour of picking up Harry’s Law.

Comment by Kris – May 12, 2011 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Harry! Harry! Harry!

Comment by Anna – May 12, 2011 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • After seeing Kathy Bates on The Office for, what?, 3 minutes last night, I hope that next year David Kelley stops slipping sleeping pills into her coffee. She’s a much more interesting person when she’s awake.

Comment by Rock Golf – May 13, 2011 06:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m excited for Grimm!

Comment by Allison N – May 12, 2011 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So…Grimm is just the comic Fables…I would have preferred just having them make Fables.

Comment by JRose48 – May 12, 2011 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this show grimm sounds a lot like ginnifer goodwin’s new pilot (yet to be picked up i believe)in which she plays snow white on abc. What are the chances there would be 2 fairy tale shows!

Comment by jenna – May 12, 2011 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • that was my first thought too! I heard ginnifer talk about that pilot on jimmy kimmel and after reading about grimm for nbc its like seriously, what are the chances!

Comment by melissa – May 12, 2011 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy to see Parenthood will be back for a 3rd season. I wish they would move it to another time slot so it’s not having to compete with TGW for viewers. It’s a rare gem that can make a true “family” show with so much heart without making it corny or unrealistic.

Comment by Corinne – May 12, 2011 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Parenthood is one of the best shows on tv right now! It deserves more viewers, it’s really amazing and special!

Comment by Caro – May 13, 2011 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Grimm” sounds suspiciously like Michael Buckley’s “Sister’s Grimm” series…

Comment by Bells – May 12, 2011 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought the same thing. Kind of disappointed that they didn’t go for it and just make the Sisters Grimm a series.

Comment by Beth – May 12, 2011 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah Parenthood!

Comment by Amy – May 12, 2011 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awake sounds more like Life on Mars than Inception.

Comment by MikaC – May 12, 2011 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really wish they would greenlight 17th Precinct. BSG reunion!! (Well, sorta…) But if they’ve got Grimm, I really doubt they would okay a similar show.

Comment by Sarah C – May 12, 2011 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matt- any info on Precinct 17?

Comment by D – May 12, 2011 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes I was also wondering if any word on 17th Precinct? I was most looking forward to this.

Comment by Sarah – May 12, 2011 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They passed on 17th Precinct.

Comment by Michael D. – May 12, 2011 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO happy to see Parenthood back! Best acting on television, period.

Comment by Lisa – May 12, 2011 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good news for Parenthood! And that Grimm show is the first new show to sound interesting to me. I will probably tune in.

Comment by Amber – May 12, 2011 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So I guess this means BD is done with SVU. Sad day. :(

Comment by Alex – May 12, 2011 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t really know why they had to change the name from ‘REM’ to ‘AWAKE’ but I’m really exited for Killen’s show. I hope it’s not as disappointed as ‘Lone Star’.

Comment by cassi – May 12, 2011 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I actually really love the name REM. I think you can get a good general idea of the show just by that name alone. Shame they changed it

Comment by jenna – May 12, 2011 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed, R.E.M. was more unique and mysterious.

Comment by Alex – May 12, 2011 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woo hoo!! I’m so happy about PARENTHOOD! It is by far my favorite show on TV right now, with one of the best casts ever assembled. I’m so glad that we’re going to get more time with the Bravermans!

Comment by Wendy – May 12, 2011 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stoked for Harry’s Law and Parenthood. Intrigued by Playboy and Awake.

Comment by jasin – May 12, 2011 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! So SO happy that Parenthood has been renewed! And pleased about Harry’s Law as well. :)

Comment by Robin – May 12, 2011 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAYYYY for Parenthood!!!! Now just cancel The Event and bring Jason Ritter back to the role of Mark Cyr on Parenthood and life will be complete.

Comment by Saracen Riggins – May 12, 2011 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well considering the source who said that Wonder Woman was picked up on other sites has now been squashed that it has been passed on could mean Chuck is gone too. It could all be a hoax if you like. Imagine that. I still can’t see why NBC would pick Chuck up. Its been flatlining in the ratings. Just makes no sense to pick it up. Sorry Chuck fans. I won’t believe anything until i hear it from NBC and all the other networks from now on.

Comment by Guy – May 12, 2011 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The reason NBC would pick up Chuck despite the ratings is that, first of all, they can’t afford to be stuck promoting an ENTIRELY new lineup of dramas. Second, the show’s fanbase, despite being somewhat tiny, is very, VERY vocal, which means that canceling it right now is a bad PR move that NBC just doesn’t want or need right now.

Comment by John – May 12, 2011 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So essentially the Chuck source has become invalidated at this point? Is the fact that there are not conflicting reports GOOD news?

Honestly I’m just getting more and more worried that the Chuck Season 5 renewal wasn’t true. Would really like someone to confirm that the news about Parenthood and Harry’s Law are equally as skeptical as the Chuck renewal rather than more concrete like they sound.

Comment by Tim – May 13, 2011 05:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY Parenthood…I am soooooooooooo happy!!!

Comment by l – May 12, 2011 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy for Parenthood. the Best show right now, awesome cast. Another year with the Bravermans will be awesome.

Comment by Lina – May 13, 2011 12:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG that’s awesome….I am soo happy, Parenthood is such a grerat show!

Comment by Caro – May 13, 2011 03:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Harry’s Law!

Comment by Lorie – May 13, 2011 04:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Grimm” sounds interesting, kind of in the same vein as “Supernatural”. I can’t wait for the official announcements next week!

Comment by Ashley – May 13, 2011 06:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s great news about Parenthood! Prime Suspect and Smash both look worth a look as well.

Comment by Linderella49 – May 13, 2011 07:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why are people still hiring Michaela McManus? She is undeniably gorgeous, but cannot act her way out of a paper sack. My word.

Comment by Bethany – May 13, 2011 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hated her character with the fire of a thousand suns on The Vampire Diaries, but I have no problem with the actress herself.

Comment by Romain – May 13, 2011 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The best news PARENTHOOD is back ,the best show ever,Thanks Nbc no more reality show more drama and Braverman family in Parenthood,you guys make my day :-) Love it,this is the best news ever :-9

Comment by Mari – May 13, 2011 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really excited about Parenthood’s renewal, I love this show so much! I’m not interested in the least in Grimm, but will definitely be watching The Playboy Club. I’m undecided regarding Awake, I’ll wait for a trailer to make up my mind on that one.

I guess things even out for David E. Kelley with Wonder Woman not going to series but Harry’s Law getting a second season.

Comment by Romain – May 13, 2011 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood!!!

Comment by ChristineOH – May 14, 2011 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fabulous news! I usually watch Parenthood and DVR The Good Wife. I agree that this is one of the best scripted and casted shows on TV!

Comment by Maitefa – May 19, 2011 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thrilled, positively thrilled to see that Parenthood was renewed! It is one of the most realistic shows on TV and it deals with real problems and situations for these times. So happy that it will be back!

Comment by jan O – May 21, 2011 12:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post