Desperate Housewives Finale Preview: Is a Tom/Lynette Divorce Inevitable?

During seven years of Desperate Housewives, Tom and Lynette Scavo have weathered surprise children, cancer, numerous job changes and depression. But their biggest challenge may end up being each other as the season comes to a close Sunday at 9/8c on ABC. Now that Tom is the corporate hot shot bringing home the bacon, Lynette’s feeling uneasy about her husband’s new power-induced personality change. Is their marriage doomed? TVLine spoke with Tom’s portrayer, Doug Savant, to get the scoop on the killer two-hour climax.

TVLINE | How is the show going to up the ante for this year’s finale?
The Tom and Lynette characters are in a place that we’ve never seen them in before. That is how they’re really upping the ante because these two characters are pushing the limits with each other in their current power struggle conflict.

TVLINE | Do you think one of them is right and one of them is wrong? Or do you try not to take sides?
You’ll excuse me if I see things from Tom’s perspective, but of course, I think Tom’s right. [Laughs] For seven years, we’ve seen this guy really do everything he could possibly do to please his wife. He has taken a backseat to her. He’s supported her. He’s endured what she’s sabotaged – his promotions at work. He gave up certain dreams of going back to college and what have you. This year, when she pushed the button and said he’s forty-six-years-old and that he’s not really accomplished anything in his life, he made a firm commitment to change that. And now he has. The questions circling this storyline are really, What happens when you get everything you wanted, but yet, it’s not what you expected? It’s happening for Lynette with Tom. He’s really become everything she ever wanted. Yet, it’s not what she expected.

TVLINE | Are they going to take some steps in the finale toward repairing their marriage?
Yeah, in the finale, we start with a vacation to begin working on our marriage by going to a bed and breakfast. I can firmly say that. That’s where it starts.

TVLINE | I’m guessing it’s not exactly a relaxing B&B vacation.

Here’s the great thing… These people have had a profound love for each other for a good 20 years of marriage. So it’s not that easy. It is intense. I think they’re working desperately toward finding common ground and reconciliation. Neither one of these characters is giving up on this marriage.

TVLINE | Does that mean the dreaded D-word isn’t brought up?
I can say this: I sure hope not. I’ve been very proud of the fact that [this has been] a representation of what a good marriage might look like to most of America. I think that’s exceptional television. I think why audiences connect with this couple is because they see themselves in it. I’ll tell you this – I’m certainly rooting for Tom and Lynette.

TVLINE | Would you say Tom and Lynette reach a mutual decision about what to do at the end of the finale? Or should we prepare for a cliffhanger?
They have some uneasy closure, but there is some closure. So it isn’t as though you’re going to be left frustrated with the ending, but… I’ll leave it at that. [Laughs]

TVLINE | What can you tease about what else is going on in the episode outside of Tom and Lynette?
There’s just hilarity. As besets a Desperate Housewives ending, there’s lots of – how do I put this? – sexual dalliances happening. [Laughs] There’s sex/relationship problems and murder.

TVLINE | Are we saying goodbye to a recurring character or a regular?

Let’s just put it this way – it’s a significant character.

TVLINE | Your wife, Laura Leighton, is on Pretty Little Liars. Do you ever talk about coming over to each other’s shows? They’re both in the ABC family…
I love my wife, so I would love working with my wife. If she would come over to Wisteria Lane, I would happily have her there. And if they were interested in me coming over to whatever street the Pretty Little Liars live on [laughs] I would go over there. But at this time, there’s not. It’s just a blessing to both be working on shows that we not only have a great experience working on, but are very, very popular.

Are you hoping Tom and Lynette work things out? Or should they call it quits? And who you do think is getting murdered?

1. Ingmar says:

I think they will stay together but honestly I’d love them to see them seperateed for a while, just to end up together anyway. I think they just need space.

Who will die? It could be everyone but I highly doubt it’s one of the 4 ladies.

• BRETT says:

They’re all signed for next season, so I’m thinking possibly Paul. I really hope he gets knocked off. His character has not changed, and shouldn’t get another chance on the street. Over him.

• Tavis says:

Felicia.

• daniel says:

I’m hoping Felicia. It was fun when she popped back up in the story, but now Susan may get framed for attempted murder b/c of her. So I’m ready for her to go.

• Jake says:

Felecia dies but in a car accident. It’s gabbys step father who gets murdered, he is the one who has been Stalking her. Also he raped her when she was15, but u probably knew that.

2. Tavis says:

I hope they divorce. Tom deserves better than that emasculating bitch Lynette.

• sashay says:

Sadly, I agree. I love Tom’s character, and more times than not, Lynette IS a bitch. Sometimes you really feel for her though, and she does provide a lot of the humour. Think Felicity does a terrific job with her. Any problems I have with the character arise from the writing, not the acting.

• Toots says:

Does anyone remember the pizza joint and how hard Lynette worked dor his dream at the time?

3. Amanda says:

I’d like them to stay together since so many couples give up on marriage. However, Lynette definitely needs to make a change in how she treats Tom. She needs to get some help with her control issues.

4. Steven says:

I love Doug Savant! He and Laura Leighton make an adorable couple.

5. bmospr04 says:

Lynnette needs to learn how to take a back seat to Tom. This show is past it’s expiration date. There aren’t stories to care about anymore. It’s time to wrap up the show.

6. Blake says:

They should divorce, or at least separate for a bit. It’s been the same story for them since the pilot episode. Lynette hurts his feelings, he sulks the whole episode, she apologizes at the end. Same ‘ol same ‘ol. Keep them apart and see what stories come up. I loved Lynette working in Season 2. She should go back to work.

• sashay says:

Yeah, she was a lot more likable then, it seems as if the character feels more at home at the office than home with the children. Like many other women I know. Tom seems equally happy at the office and at home with the kids.

7. Marc from Brooklyn says:

It’s time for Laura Leighton and William H. Macy to appear as married couple in a Tom/Lynette storyline, as was rumored about five years ago.

8. Daniel says:

Nice to see a Doug interview about the show. Makes me happy. One of the two first wisteria husbands still keeping their marriage afloat. I hope Tom and Lynette make it through, then I hope they get back to a meatier storyline. Lynette and Bree have generally been the two good storyline housewives, but they’ve gotten cheesy, roles generally reserved for Susan and Gabby.

9. Sharrie says:

Lynette is an emasculating Beeyotch. He should drop her like a hot rock, even after 20 years of marriage.

10. Amber says:

McCluskey is the one who will bite the dust, I bet.

Let’s not be so quick to use the B word, everyone. People aren’t bitchy, they’re just complicated, sometimes misunderstood, and everyone has their good qualities and their bad qualities. Tom and Lynette are two very complicated, independent persons, and maybe they do need to break up. Both want to be in the driver’s seat, and that doesn’t often work in relationships when neither person wants to relinquish control. Tom has definitely been emasculated by Lynette, but at the same time, he probably wouldn’t be the person he is now without her pushing him to greatness. But Lynette needs to find something in her life that makes her feel worthwhile and shouldn’t be trying to live vicariously through her husband. He needs to be able to make his own decisions about his destiny, and she needs something to manage that’s outside the home. Lynette has never been meant to be just a housewife.

• morgan says:

McCluskey won’t be the one killed off, Cherry has promised her he’ll never kill her off, my money’s on Felicia

11. Jen says:

I love Lynette! Tom wants to remain the eternal 18-year-old boy, so it’s no wonder Lynette has fallen into unhealthy patterns of control. They both have their problems, as all couples do. I’d be heartbroken if they divorced.

• Jane says:

Thank you for being the voice of reason. People are quick to label women. And even if she were indeed a “bitch,” even bitches find mates. Tom is not of sterling character either, but no one hurles gender-based epithets at him. The characters are as fallible as any human, and there’s a lid for every pot. They’re more or less equally flawed.

In general, Tom and Lynette have a good thing going, should learn their lessons, and try to reconcile their differences. I think the basic ingredients are there to thrive as a couple. It would be lame to have these people part now after all they have been through over, essentially, Tom’s resentment of Lynette’s dominant ways– to throw it all away over ego. For better or worse, he benefitted from her drive and strategic planning when it worked to his advantage. Now it is time to put effort into the marriage.

12. Preethi Khan says:

If Tom & Lynette do get divorced, do you think that Tom and Renee might hook up?

• Kris says:

My guess would be no. I don’t think Tom would want to hurt Lynette by taking up with a friend of hers. Anyhow he’s a rich and good looking guy and could find someone unconnected to Lynette.

13. Kris says:

This talk of Tom taking a backseat to Lynette is the kind of thing that makes me dislike the character. It’s much more the other way around. They ran his dream pizzeria for 7 or 8 years. She stayed at home while he was the breadwinner until the twins were 6. That’s well over half of the marriage. She had about a year of earning more while he was working before the twins were born. So she’s emasculating because he married someone with more success? She had about 2 years (if that) when she was working for Ed while he was house husband or her subordinate (which he chose to work under her). And part of the house husband time was because he was fired for punching the boss and stealing. Then she had less than 2 years working for Carlos (which at the time Tom acknowledged it was her turn.

• Kris says:

Sorry if the above was harsh on the character, just seems like totally ignoring the sacrifices Lynette made and trying to turn Tom into some poor put upon hero. Doesn’t work for me when she’s given up so much more than him and he’s where he is now because being in Lynette’s old job gave him the chance to be noticed.

14. kemi kamson says:

i think i love both tom and lynett the made it through thick and tough

15. gel says:

i want lynett an tom to stay together i wud not be the same i love the pair of them its ment to be xx

16. Gillian Atteck says:

I hope that Lynette and Tom stay together- for the sake of the children , also. It is usually not just one person’s fault when a marriage ends.

17. Just Me says:

They both treat eachother poorly. When Lynette was working for Carlos and up for promotion, Tom knowing what would happen told Carlos that Lynette was prego…resulting in Lynette not getting the promotion and I believe actually getting fired. They are also both vendictive to eachother

18. Kris says:

May I respectfully say it bugs me when Lynette is called an emasculating b****? Tom needs to be in charge of his own manhood. Lynette is not protector and custodian of it. He needs to look into himself.

Even control freak kind of ticks me off. Not because it’s false necessarily, but because Tom doesn’t acknowledge that in himself and Lynette owns it. Because of that he uses it against her. He is way too quick to throw that out the second they have a dispute. Almost as if Lynette doesn’t have the right to control anything. It seems when there is a dispute that each have equal right to feel how they do it presented as Lynette should cave and she’s the emasculating shrew for wanting her way if she presses and doesn’t cave and hand Tom what he wants on a silver platter. He presses and it’s Good for Tom sticking up for himself. When I don’t see the need to applaud him for it (as if it’s a rare thing for him to get his way).

19. Kendra says:

Lynette is my absolute favorite character. She is NOT a bitch. She’s a hardworking mother who does that best she can for her family and loves her husband unconditionally. I look at Tom and Lynette as the epitome of what marriage should be. I wish that my family was like that. They are absolutely phenomenal. Felicity Huffman is absolutely miraculous and Doug Savant is a perfect match. I’m very upset the show is ending. Tom and Lynette give me hope.

20. Shawna says:

Are yoh kidding,Desperate Housewives is number one,hands down.Also,wht would the show be w/out Tom and Lynette they belong together.She also took a bk seat for Tom she even put up with tht bratty azz daughter of his.She holds her man down,she has given up her career,birthed those kids and held tht family together through cancer,an alcoholic parent,a fire and all of Tom’s bk problems.Lynette is wht Tom needs.

21. Melinda says:

OH WHAT ABOUT WHEN TOM CHEATED ON LYNETTE! They got into an argueement and he slept with Lynette’s bff Renee and she forgave him then he dates another women what time there MARRIED! How do you work out a marriage when your cheating? You can’t fix a marriage when you keep your MISTRESS!!!!! uhh i want Tom to stop being an a$$ and get back with Lynette no one is perfect she is still willing to work out the marriage they both need to work on there issues! Tom is a JERK! I liked him untill he started dating that skank!
    I wish this wasn’t the last season its my fav. show ):

22. Melinda says:

Also YES IT STILL IS CHEATING even though your seperated. Tom pissed me off to when they were at the marriage counciler and he said he wasn’t sleeping with his mistress YET!!!!! i cant remember her name i think Jane? whatever Im sad to see them seperate but Lynette deserves better!

23. Jonna says:

What are you talking about?! Lynette is a strong woman, demanding much from herself and people in her life. There’s nothing wrong about that. She needs a strong man, and It seems that Tom is not the one for her. It is never ok to cheat! Lynette could do so much better!

24. Gina Khan says:

I want Tom and Lynette to get divorced. She is such a selfish bitch. She should not be with Tom. Tom deserves better.

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

Tom is weak, whiny, immature, selfish, and lazy. Lynette had to make up for all those things for 20+ years.

Tom is NOT the one who deserves better. Lynette deserves a medal, a hunk, and years of happiness.

25. Melinda says:

I wounder why they didn’t give a preview of the next episode? As if i wouldn’t look online! This Tom and Lynette thing is killing me! I have been a big fan og desperate housewives since the show first aired but this season has kept me wanting more than all the other seasons combined!

• DANNA says:

I am so with you on the Tom and Lynette thing, it is driving me crazy.. I am have been watching too long to see them split up… lol this show is my calm sanity in my life.. ha ha

26. denise says:

i think they should get bac together, yeah lynette was kinda a bitch sometimes but tom let her walk all over him, so its his fault to, plus they got a family, and theyve both got good intentions, a marriage is always a wor in progress, i hope they stay together it breaks my heart to watch them seperate, so sad

27. Lila says:

I didn’t watch the seventh and eighth episodes just because of Tom and Lynette. I can’t bear to see Lynette’s sad expression while Tom is having fun with Jane. Seriously I think both Tom and Jane are very cruel. Jane knows how it feels to be in Lynette’s shoes but she selfishly choose to let Lynette be miserable.
    They are still married… they just separated. I can’t believe that Tom does this to Lynette. I don’t remember Lynette cheating on him when he was “taking the backseat”. Now that Lynette is only a mere housewife it looks like Tom can’t wait to get someone new. Really why even bother going to couple therapy, like Lynette said. He does not want to work the marital problems out. If he does, he would be reading books about it like Lynette did, instead of hooking up with Jane… ugh.
    Maybe it’s better if they divorce after all, I think Lynette deserves a better man. I hope Lynette will find happiness by then too… not like it’s easy with her age and 5 children. Tom really disappoints me in this season. I used to adore him among other husbands…

• Rach says:

Well, Lynette ALMOST cheated on Tom with the pizza guy at Tom’s restaurant.

But yeah… I just can’t stand Lynette and Tom breaking up, it hurts to see Tom with Jane almost as if I was Lynette myself hahahah.

• Lila says:

If we wanna talk about cheating, Tom definitely holds the records… a secret child with another woman, sleeping with Renee, and now dating Jane during separation. Lynette’s only fault was the “almost” cheating with the pizza guy :(

I think what really hits me the most is the fact that Tom dumped Lynette when he’s all successful and career-oriented. If it’s the other way around I wouldn’t bother much. I’m worried for Lynette >_< what if she commits suicide because she has nothing left in her life? Kids all grown up apart of Polly and Penny, no job no husband…

• fanlady of desperatehousewives says:

i agree with all the tom hate. i am disappointed in him. NO Class at all.
          they have a BABY still. after the cancer, the numerous children, he’s ready to be this mid crisis jerk? if karma exists in tv shows, tom is asking for it.

28. fanlady of desperatehousewives says:

i saw the episode where tom actually says to lynnette (about jane) “i’m very happy”. if he’s happy, then, there’s NO Way He’s getting back to lynette.

The ONLY way, logically, (and i mean logically) because men usually use their logic and if theyre not, it’s their nuts and therefore, the nuts in this case is tom with jane and jane is one smart cookie. you can’t underestimate jane. she knows what she’s doing. and the only way he’s leaving jane is that he UNhappily finds out something really bad about her.
    that’s as bout as logical as it gets. sorry but tom is a bit of jerk for being inconsiderate about lynette. it’s as if he is purposely shoving jane in front of her – saying i’m done moving on.

29. KLS says:

So Tom wants to leave Lynette because she is controlling. That’s news? Funny it worked for him before when she ran the show everytime he chased a flight of fancy or had a new dream. Worked for him when she took control of dealing with the yucky things he wouldn’t want to deal with because they woulf have made him bad cop. Now that she’s been by his side for decades helping him get to where he wants to be she’s disposable because the journey to what he wanted to reach is over?

30. Kris S. says:

I don’t agree at all that Lynette sabatoged the promotion. If what she said was really sabatoge why did Peterson have to lie and put words in her mouth to justify killing the promotion? Couldn’t what she said stand on it’s own? Seems to me it was no accident Lynette’s actions and words were changed up. So did she plan to sabatoge the promotion with the obvious concerns (that would be more odd if she wasn’t worried about it) and expressed no emergency? Or maybe I missed the episode where they made it clear Lynette and Janie spoke in code.