Community's Gillian Jacobs Teases Paintball Finale, Part 2: 'The Dynamic Will Change'

This Thursday at 8/7c, NBC’s Community concludes its sophomore run with Part 2 of its season finale, “For a Few Paintballs More.” When last we tuned in, the dean’s idea to end the school year with a new round of paintball assassin sent the Greendale gang into Wild West mode, complete with Pierce lording over a saloon and the arrival of the Black Rider (Lost‘s Josh Holloway), an hombre as handsome as he was mysterious.

That gunman for hire was felled in the closing moments of Part 1, but then a larger threat emerged: the costumed mascot for Pistol Patty’s Cowboy Creamery and a Star Wars-flavored platoon of pistol-packers. Is it time for the splintered study bunch to assail this evil army as an ensemble?

“A Gatling gun has emerged, and the ‘stormtroopers’ have popped out of the ice cream truck,” notes Gillian Jacobs, who plays Britta. “So yes, the dynamic is going to change, to a more full-on group effort.”

Since Community‘s first paintball attack, “Modern Warfare,” was a bit Jeff and Britta-centric, Alison Brie’s Annie was showcased in the opening half of this season’s splatterthon. But as this new “war” escalates, Jacobs says, “People who didn’t have as large of a role in Part 1, you’ll see more of in Part 2.” And rest assured, Britta fans, “I fire off a few rounds,” her portrayer promises with a wink.

Thursday’s season ender also features a new, blink-and-you’ll-miss-it bit of internetwork adoration between Community and Cougar Town, a back-and-forth that started on the ABC comedy and continued with Greendale’s Abed sharing his obsession with Jules, Grayson et al. (In fact, Cougar Town‘s own upcoming season finale ups the ante even more.)

“That’s one of the things I love about our writers, that they don’t just throw something in as a one-off joke,” Jacobs enthuses. “Things develop over time, and I think that’s terrific.

“I mean, our shows don’t really have anything to do with each other!” she marvels. “It feels like there are no rules for us.”

As for what Community creator Dan Harmon could possibly have up his sleeve for Season 3 — having already gifted viewers with, among so many things, an animated Christmas episode, a zombie invasion, a faux “clip show” and a riff on My Dinner With Andre — Jacobs hasn’t heard a peep.

“I want Dan to just marinate in his brain for the hiatus,” she says. “Inspiration strikes at very funny times, and Dan is smart enough and our writers are talented enough that I think they’ll be able to surprise even themselves. Because they sure surprise us every week.”

1. From my blog’s review of part 1: “All-in-all, this show just continues to do things that a sitcom shouldn’t be allowed to do, and it continually succeeds at it. Creator Dan Harmon addressed this matter on Twitter in late 2010, saying that when it’s all said and done, he’d want to go down having created the best sitcom in the history of television. Creatively and qualitatively speaking, Community quickly approaching that realm.”

• NickC says:

From your blog?…classy.

• sashay says:

Yes, Michael is soooo lucky that Chris Griff the 3rd (???) uses his site to springoboard onto his blog. And we, the readers, are also lucky that we get to read the nuggests of brilliance that we so eagerly await!
        There’s at least two of these bozos in the threads I like to follow.

• Dave says:

I’d agree. Apart from that slight Scrubs vibe where jokey can suddenly become very serious, Community is deserving of those accolades and it’s a crime not more people watch it because it’s arguably the best all-round comedy on tv at the moment – and I’m including P&R, HIMYM, TBBT and even CT in that.

• Ell says:

I wish these were marked as spam, TVLine. This isn’t the place to advertise your stuff, whether it’s handbags or just self-promotion.

• How is it spam when it’s a commentary on the Season finale? I’m not linking anything in my post in any way, shape, or form. Was my comment out of context to the article? If I posted this on the link that was about Bones or American Idol then I’d agree with your assessment. Stay classy.

• I really don’t see any problem with what Chris Griff 3 did. Linking back to a full review connected to the topic at hand seems totally acceptable. Now, if you’re interested in some handbags, I might be able to help you out… ;)

• Mike says:

I second that. This should be spam. We don’t need some self promoting spammer here.

• Michael Sacal says:

I don’t think it’s spam. There’s nothing wrong with a fan of a show posting a link to his website where he talks about that show in a thread about the show he likes.

• sashay says:

I think I’m most offended by his attitude that we should care what he thinks. All of us are equal here. If we want to pontificate in such a pretentious matter, it comes with having established a reputation, having crafted an opinion that is both thought-provoking and creative, entertaining but of substance. What he’s written here does not meet that standard in any way. I think he’s using Michael, and it’s annoying.

• Michael Sacal says:

No one’s using me, I’m just not up in arms over what he posted. It doesn’t bother me, it doesn’t affect me. Why does it bother anyone else?

It’s not like he posted spam bs like what you find at EW.com or Watch With Kristin advertising a dating site or penis enlargement. He posted a link to his blog about Community and a piece from his op-ed column.

Someone call the Internet Police!

• Re; sashay says:

“it comes with having established a reputation, having crafted an opinion that is both thought-provoking and creative, entertaining but of substance”

Ha ha ha! Someone has a really high opinion of themself.

• Benjamin Kabak says:

Your blog stinks.

2. Sugarnatural says:

This is paintball!!!

Can’t believe I must go without new Community eps for months! This is so cruel. But season 3 will be awesome, I know it.

Would it be too much to ask for a Clue-inspired episode?

• josh says:

Excellent idea!!! I would love a Clue inspired ep!!!

• Michael Sacal says:

How about “Community goes to Comic-Con”? Not a fake comic con like they did in Hawaii 5-0 and Psych a couple of seasons ago, but shot on location in San Diego during Comic-Con.

Let Community offer a commentary on how Comic-Con has nothing to do with comics anymore.

Have them travel all the way to San Diego to see something comic book related only to get fed up with the Glee, Spartacus, and even rom-com movie panels that have nothing to do with comics.

3. Michael Sacal says:

Does anyone have any theories as to Patty’s identity? I’m guessing it must be a disgrunted student from some earlier episode that is looking for revenge or something.

• Evan Meadow says:

Supposedly, the guest credits for last week’s episode already spoiled who Patty is (since it was originally thought to air as a one hour episode.

I won’t say anything still, but if its true, just check the credits and you’ll spot who it should be.

4. huy says:

I bet Patty is Betty White from episode 1:Anthropology 101

5. Dexter E says:

This goes with Mr Ausiello’s earlier thing about a two characters in a comedy doing it for the first time…IS IT ABED AND ANNIE!?!?!

6. Seriously, though, I think it’s Professor Slater. We haven’t seen her all year, and on the “Intro to Political Science” news ticker, the news headline regarding her whereabouts twice scrolled across the screen. That very news ticker also suggested a Western-themed picnic and “no more paintball.”

7. Michael Sacal says:

Hah, interesting.

8. sashay says:

Are you trying to say it was Ken Jeong? Gee, shouldn’t a worthy and respectable blogger like yourself actually be able to name the actor in the show? Or is that supposed to be humour? Wow your blog really MUST stink if you know less than I do!