Will Breaking In Steal Back Its Spot On Fox?

Those slippery snakes on Fox’s freshly canceled Breaking In just might elude termination after all.

Though Fox gave the midseason comedy — as well as Lie To Me, Human Target, The Chicago Code and Traffic Lightthe hook earlier this week, TVLine sister site Deadline is hearing that the network is in talks with production studio Sony Pictures TV about ways to keep the workplace sitcom around come fall.

Were the Christian Slater-fronted series to dodge this latest bullet, it’d mark the second time it has cheated death, seeing as Fox originally passed on the pilot a year ago.

Fall Preview: TVLine’s Guide to What’s New

With its most recent outing, Breaking In brought in a few more viewers (totaling 7.65 million) but dipped a bit in the demo (to a 2.4). Its season finale is set to air next Wednesday.

No official decision on Breaking In‘s fate is expected until Fox holds its 2011 upfronts event on Monday.

1. Tobi says:

Ohhh, I hope it’s true!! I’d love for it to stick around. It really is one of the funniest shows on TV. And I watched all 5 of those shows FOX just canceled!! I’d reconsider divorcing them if they keep at least this one around!

• Matt says:

I like the show, but if I had my druthers, I’d prefer a stay of execution for Lie to Me over Breaking In.

2. Alyssa says:

I really hope this is true. This show is absolutely hilarious, and Christian Slater is fantastic and I’ve been following Brett Harrison from Grounded for Life and Reaper. Let his show live!!!

3. TP says:

I hope they renew it.
    Surprisingly I liked it and the ratings aren’t that bad.
    Well, compared to American Idol they are bad, but honestly, those 2 shows don’t match at all.

4. Christian says:

This is fantastic news if it comes true. I’ve been really enjoying the show so far, and while right now it’s just good, the potential is there for it to be a great show. Crossing my fingers!

5. Amanda says:

They definitely need to keep it!! Even if they were to put it on FX, I’d be thrilled!

6. Laurel says:

I hope they keep it !
    A Very Funny Show !
    Rosenbaum is hilarious

7. Brian says:

Bring it back!

8. Mikaylah says:

This is encouraging news, however I would also like to hear something positive about Lie to Me and The Chicago Code getting picked up somewhere. Lie to Me definitely feels more like a network show and I thought it fit in well at Fox, but The Chicago Code could work well on a cable network. DO IT!

9. Mandy says:

I REALLY hope they decide to keep Breaking In! I haven’t liked Christian Slater in anything for years until this came along. He is an absolutely perfect Oz. It’s great seeing Bret Harrison on tv regularly too. I’d love it if Tyler Labine got a guest spot on the show. Yes, I miss Reaper.

• Tony says:

Well if you say that bring back Andy, if that is how you spell it :) I enjoy tyler’s current show (also suppose to get canceled) :(

10. The only says:

MICHAEL ROSENBAUM IS IN THIS SHOW. ENOUGH FOR ANYONE TO WATCH IT.

#Smallville

11. Philly says:

I hope that this is true. I have followed this show all season and it has gotten progressively funnier each time. Christian Slater is absolutely hysterical as Oz and Brett Harrison is awesome as well. The real standout though is Michael Rosenbaum. He is hilarious as the douchy but lovable Dutch. Could not have been cast better. If Fox does not renew this show I can say that I will not be watching their network next season. They have such a history with ending shows before they have even had a chance to take off (remember Firefly anyone?) And they have done it again with Chicago Code. Don’t know what they are thinking. RENEW BREAKING IN!!!

12. Sherry says:

OMG! This show is extremely funny, especially last night (ex-Lex is the best!!) My family was just discussing this being cancelled yesterday and how we couldn’t believe it! HOPE IT STAYS!! :)

• Dee says:

Hee!! Ex-Lex is Best!!!

That is the reason I started watching this show.

It is really funny and a lot of cool things happen, love all the nerds.

That lockdown was hysterical. Oz is an ingenious boss.

Really do hope it gets picked up.

13. curtlyon19 says:

This is actually quite funny! You might have to listen a little closer or actually pay attention but its worth it. Nah, dont care for “Dutch” so much but Bret and Christian are great in this.
    I continue to find, for Mr. Slater, his shows have been quite good but took to long to catch on ….

14. Melissa says:

Please, FOX, keep this show!!!! I love this show! Please!! The cast is fantastic.

15. Alice says:

Could the same thing happen with Lie to Me? If it were given a stable timeslot, proper advertising, and a fair chance, then its ratings would be amazing. It was the strongest show out of the five; I really hope that Fox reconsiders and brings it back somehow.

16. David says:

I started watching Breaking In but after a couple of episodes I just wasn’t feeling it. It’s too bad about The Chicago Code. I mean it wasn’t the greatest cop show, and nowhere near in quality to something like The Shield, but it was entertaining. I think maybe if they would have had a more believable lead. Hopefully there will be some closure but probably not huh?

17. Jenny says:

I posted this on Deadline.com, too, but I wanted to comment both places: Oh please oh please! My husband & I love this show something fierce. The cast is too darn good to let go, and the premise of the show itself is so unique and so fun, it would be a crime for it to stay gone! Christian Slater is perfect as the sneaky, sly, but secretly caring Oz, Bret Harrison is pure gold in everything he’s been in, including this, and the rest of the cast is just as brilliant. I really hope FOX reconsiders!

18. topoopon says:

YESSSSSS!

19. XK says:

Definitely hope they keep it!

BTW, chances of the ‘yes, keep breaking in’ option winning this poll are very slim, considering that 3rd option is basically going to garner the votes of the fans of the other 4+ shows canceled.

20. Renee says:

This show is funny and enjoyable, I guess…but why should this show get a second chance when much better shows like Arrested Development didn’t? Fox really makes me mad by cancelling good shows too early! Bah.

• Save_BreakingIn says:

At least AD had three seasons, with 53 episodes, Breaking In only had 5 episodes before FOX cancelled it.

21. Sonya says:

Please let this habit. Oz’s “I’ll allow it” makes me giggle. :)

22. Linda says:

I want it back. It sucks that not everyone who watches it isn’t factored into the ratings.

23. jfk says:

of course! after the bloothbath bring back BREAKING IN instead of THE CHICAGO CODE!!, stupid producers

24. Sarah says:

I like this show but I like The Chicago Code more so I have to say bring that back instead!

25. Leslie says:

My husband and I LOVE Breaking In, I couldn’t believe that Fox cancelled it. I sure hope it gets saved, or I’ll be changing the channel after Idol.

26. david says:

Bring back The Chicago Code!

27. Kirstin says:

I hope so I really like this show.

28. bmospr04 says:

it would be cool for breaking in to come back. I know i’ll be the only one to thinks this but i rather have Traffic Light, But any show that can come back from the dead (besides Chuck), Kudos

29. Anonymous says:

Yes! I was shocked when i read this show was getting the axe, it is just so darn funny and well cast. They don’t use Trevor enough, but I’m sure that will be corrected as the show progresses. Finally a bright light in this horrible week of tv for me. Last SGU and last Smallville. :(

30. Jenny says:

I hope! I hope! I hope! I was just getting used to having Michael Rosenbaum around again!!! He’s so funny!

31. Rachael says:

This show is fantastic. I have missed Bret Harrison since Reaper was cancelled. He is hysterical. This cast is great together… KEEP IT!!

32. Alison says:

Come on Fox! The FANS want it saved!

33. SAVE BREAKING IN says:

best show on tv. period.

@Save_BreakingIn

34. topoopon says:

TWO thoughts:

1) If SUBWAY saved “Chuck”, could KFC do the same for “Breaking In”.

2) What FOX exec do we send our clean urine to?

35. Lu says:

Save Lie to Me!
    FX should pick up LTM. I already miss Tim and Kelli!

36. Rod says:

Traffic Light is way funnier!!

37. Emer says:

Fingers crossed! Now start praying to whatever you hold holy that Fox will see the light. The light being that warm glow of awesomeness that radiates from Christian Slater and the whole Breaking In team!! Save Breaking In

38. Liz says:

Save Breaking In! Or give Micheal Rosenbaum his own show. I with some of the other people on here who was just getting use to him being around again.

39. Anneli says:

Good — why axe a show that does have viewership? It’s entertaining and different. The ensemble works well together, and I’ve enjoyed it. And I simply do not understand the decision to cancel “Lie to Me”. It’s one of the most compelling and interesting shows on TV, and they’ll replace it with dreck, CERTAIN to do poorly. Their programming decisions are bufoonish. Keep “Lie to Me” on the air.

40. Janaya Warren says:

SAVE THIS SHOW!!! PLEASE!!!

41. jen says:

love this show. dutch and cash are hystarical on the show. i really hope that fox saves this show.

42. Kevin says:

I just finished watching last night’s episode and thought it was the funniest one to date. Was thinking it was a shame it got cancelled just as it was getting going. Hope FOX reconsiders.

43. dydddd2x says:

PLEASE RENEW BREAKING IN! ITS ONE OF THE ONLY SHOW ON FOX THAT’S ACTUALLY FUNNY!

44. Leigh says:

If Fox does the unthinkable, who do we contact at TNT, it would a perfect companion to Leverage.

45. Moviefan2 says:

Really? And they get rid of The Chicago Code and Lie To Me? I am done with Fox. I will just borrow the Bones dvds when they come out.
    STUPID FOX NETWORK

46. Edward B says:

They need to save this show – it’s great.

It has that good overall vibe while watching it – with definite influences from Chuck and BBT – and it’s cleanly executed with some great sets, especially on the interior sets where they’ve gone to a lot of trouble with the detailing.

I think the cast ‘fit’ their roles well. They each have their comedy characteristics which, as long as they aren’t repeated so much to become stale, could grow on an audience that discovers and sticks with the show.

I think the biggest risk is that the plot ideas could dry up or begin blurring between episodes.

There’s a lot of love for Breaking In out there – I really hope it gets more of a chance to prove itself.

47. Nadine says:

I hope Breaking In makes it, it’s fast-paced, unique, funny, has a great premise and cast. I want more!

48. Nic says:

I don’t watch many comedies but loved Breaking In. The cast was terrific. I really hope they can salvage it somehow and keep it on the air.

49. Matt says:

SAVE THE SHOW!!

50. Laura says:

Save Human Target or Lie to Me instead!