Fall TV Preview

Will Breaking In Steal Back Its Spot On Fox?

Those slippery snakes on Fox’s freshly canceled Breaking In just might elude termination after all.

Though Fox gave the midseason comedy — as well as Lie To Me, Human Target, The Chicago Code and Traffic Lightthe hook earlier this week, TVLine sister site Deadline is hearing that the network is in talks with production studio Sony Pictures TV about ways to keep the workplace sitcom around come fall.

Were the Christian Slater-fronted series to dodge this latest bullet, it’d mark the second time it has cheated death, seeing as Fox originally passed on the pilot a year ago.

Fall Preview: TVLine’s Guide to What’s New

With its most recent outing, Breaking In brought in a few more viewers (totaling 7.65 million) but dipped a bit in the demo (to a 2.4). Its season finale is set to air next Wednesday.

No official decision on Breaking In‘s fate is expected until Fox holds its 2011 upfronts event on Monday.

Tags: ,

Comments (74)

• Ohhh, I hope it’s true!! I’d love for it to stick around. It really is one of the funniest shows on TV. And I watched all 5 of those shows FOX just canceled!! I’d reconsider divorcing them if they keep at least this one around!

Comment by Tobi – May 12, 2011 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like the show, but if I had my druthers, I’d prefer a stay of execution for Lie to Me over Breaking In.

Comment by Matt – May 12, 2011 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I vote for LieToMe too!
        It’s sucks that they canceled it without giving Cal/Gillian a closure.

Comment by allison – May 12, 2011 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope this is true. This show is absolutely hilarious, and Christian Slater is fantastic and I’ve been following Brett Harrison from Grounded for Life and Reaper. Let his show live!!!

Comment by Alyssa – May 12, 2011 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I miss Reaper too, it was brilliant.

Comment by Nadine – May 12, 2011 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I am the same way, i loved reaper along with this show! I think the middle of the week is just a bad time :( that’s my story and i’m sticking with it!

Comment by Tony – May 23, 2011 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they renew it.
    Surprisingly I liked it and the ratings aren’t that bad.
    Well, compared to American Idol they are bad, but honestly, those 2 shows don’t match at all.

Comment by TP – May 12, 2011 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is fantastic news if it comes true. I’ve been really enjoying the show so far, and while right now it’s just good, the potential is there for it to be a great show. Crossing my fingers!

Comment by Christian – May 12, 2011 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They definitely need to keep it!! Even if they were to put it on FX, I’d be thrilled!

Comment by Amanda – May 12, 2011 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope they keep it !
    A Very Funny Show !
    Rosenbaum is hilarious

Comment by Laurel – May 12, 2011 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring it back!

Comment by Brian – May 12, 2011 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is encouraging news, however I would also like to hear something positive about Lie to Me and The Chicago Code getting picked up somewhere. Lie to Me definitely feels more like a network show and I thought it fit in well at Fox, but The Chicago Code could work well on a cable network. DO IT!

Comment by Mikaylah – May 12, 2011 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I REALLY hope they decide to keep Breaking In! I haven’t liked Christian Slater in anything for years until this came along. He is an absolutely perfect Oz. It’s great seeing Bret Harrison on tv regularly too. I’d love it if Tyler Labine got a guest spot on the show. Yes, I miss Reaper.

Comment by Mandy – May 12, 2011 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well if you say that bring back Andy, if that is how you spell it :) I enjoy tyler’s current show (also suppose to get canceled) :(

Comment by Tony – May 23, 2011 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MICHAEL ROSENBAUM IS IN THIS SHOW. ENOUGH FOR ANYONE TO WATCH IT.

#Smallville

Comment by The only – May 12, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s exactly the reason why i started watching. And i’ve loved every episode.

Comment by gloria – May 12, 2011 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Loved this show and love Christian Slater! Please keep this on!

Comment by Angel – September 27, 2011 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope that this is true. I have followed this show all season and it has gotten progressively funnier each time. Christian Slater is absolutely hysterical as Oz and Brett Harrison is awesome as well. The real standout though is Michael Rosenbaum. He is hilarious as the douchy but lovable Dutch. Could not have been cast better. If Fox does not renew this show I can say that I will not be watching their network next season. They have such a history with ending shows before they have even had a chance to take off (remember Firefly anyone?) And they have done it again with Chicago Code. Don’t know what they are thinking. RENEW BREAKING IN!!!

Comment by Philly – May 12, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG! This show is extremely funny, especially last night (ex-Lex is the best!!) My family was just discussing this being cancelled yesterday and how we couldn’t believe it! HOPE IT STAYS!! :)

Comment by Sherry – May 12, 2011 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hee!! Ex-Lex is Best!!!

That is the reason I started watching this show.

It is really funny and a lot of cool things happen, love all the nerds.

That lockdown was hysterical. Oz is an ingenious boss.

Really do hope it gets picked up.

Comment by Dee – May 12, 2011 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is actually quite funny! You might have to listen a little closer or actually pay attention but its worth it. Nah, dont care for “Dutch” so much but Bret and Christian are great in this.
    I continue to find, for Mr. Slater, his shows have been quite good but took to long to catch on ….

Comment by curtlyon19 – May 12, 2011 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please, FOX, keep this show!!!! I love this show! Please!! The cast is fantastic.

Comment by Melissa – May 12, 2011 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Could the same thing happen with Lie to Me? If it were given a stable timeslot, proper advertising, and a fair chance, then its ratings would be amazing. It was the strongest show out of the five; I really hope that Fox reconsiders and brings it back somehow.

Comment by Alice – May 12, 2011 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I started watching Breaking In but after a couple of episodes I just wasn’t feeling it. It’s too bad about The Chicago Code. I mean it wasn’t the greatest cop show, and nowhere near in quality to something like The Shield, but it was entertaining. I think maybe if they would have had a more believable lead. Hopefully there will be some closure but probably not huh?

Comment by David – May 12, 2011 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I posted this on Deadline.com, too, but I wanted to comment both places: Oh please oh please! My husband & I love this show something fierce. The cast is too darn good to let go, and the premise of the show itself is so unique and so fun, it would be a crime for it to stay gone! Christian Slater is perfect as the sneaky, sly, but secretly caring Oz, Bret Harrison is pure gold in everything he’s been in, including this, and the rest of the cast is just as brilliant. I really hope FOX reconsiders!

Comment by Jenny – May 12, 2011 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESSSSSS!

Comment by topoopon – May 12, 2011 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely hope they keep it!

BTW, chances of the ‘yes, keep breaking in’ option winning this poll are very slim, considering that 3rd option is basically going to garner the votes of the fans of the other 4+ shows canceled.

Comment by XK – May 12, 2011 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Looks like you couldn’t be more wrong!

Comment by HAHA – May 13, 2011 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is funny and enjoyable, I guess…but why should this show get a second chance when much better shows like Arrested Development didn’t? Fox really makes me mad by cancelling good shows too early! Bah.

Comment by Renee – May 12, 2011 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • At least AD had three seasons, with 53 episodes, Breaking In only had 5 episodes before FOX cancelled it.

Comment by Save_BreakingIn – May 12, 2011 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please let this habit. Oz’s “I’ll allow it” makes me giggle. :)

Comment by Sonya – May 12, 2011 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want it back. It sucks that not everyone who watches it isn’t factored into the ratings.

Comment by Linda – May 12, 2011 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • of course! after the bloothbath bring back BREAKING IN instead of THE CHICAGO CODE!!, stupid producers

Comment by jfk – May 12, 2011 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like this show but I like The Chicago Code more so I have to say bring that back instead!

Comment by Sarah – May 12, 2011 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My husband and I LOVE Breaking In, I couldn’t believe that Fox cancelled it. I sure hope it gets saved, or I’ll be changing the channel after Idol.

Comment by Leslie – May 12, 2011 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back The Chicago Code!

Comment by david – May 12, 2011 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope so I really like this show.

Comment by Kirstin – May 12, 2011 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it would be cool for breaking in to come back. I know i’ll be the only one to thinks this but i rather have Traffic Light, But any show that can come back from the dead (besides Chuck), Kudos

Comment by bmospr04 – May 12, 2011 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! I was shocked when i read this show was getting the axe, it is just so darn funny and well cast. They don’t use Trevor enough, but I’m sure that will be corrected as the show progresses. Finally a bright light in this horrible week of tv for me. Last SGU and last Smallville. :(

Comment by Anonymous – May 12, 2011 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope! I hope! I hope! I was just getting used to having Michael Rosenbaum around again!!! He’s so funny!

Comment by Jenny – May 12, 2011 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is fantastic. I have missed Bret Harrison since Reaper was cancelled. He is hysterical. This cast is great together… KEEP IT!!

Comment by Rachael – May 12, 2011 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on Fox! The FANS want it saved!

Comment by Alison – May 12, 2011 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • best show on tv. period.

@Save_BreakingIn

Comment by SAVE BREAKING IN – May 12, 2011 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TWO thoughts:

1) If SUBWAY saved “Chuck”, could KFC do the same for “Breaking In”.

2) What FOX exec do we send our clean urine to?

Comment by topoopon – May 12, 2011 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Save Lie to Me!
    FX should pick up LTM. I already miss Tim and Kelli!

Comment by Lu – May 12, 2011 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Traffic Light is way funnier!!

Comment by Rod – May 12, 2011 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fingers crossed! Now start praying to whatever you hold holy that Fox will see the light. The light being that warm glow of awesomeness that radiates from Christian Slater and the whole Breaking In team!! Save Breaking In

Comment by Emer – May 12, 2011 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Save Breaking In! Or give Micheal Rosenbaum his own show. I with some of the other people on here who was just getting use to him being around again.

Comment by Liz – May 12, 2011 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good — why axe a show that does have viewership? It’s entertaining and different. The ensemble works well together, and I’ve enjoyed it. And I simply do not understand the decision to cancel “Lie to Me”. It’s one of the most compelling and interesting shows on TV, and they’ll replace it with dreck, CERTAIN to do poorly. Their programming decisions are bufoonish. Keep “Lie to Me” on the air.

Comment by Anneli – May 12, 2011 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SAVE THIS SHOW!!! PLEASE!!!

Comment by Janaya Warren – May 12, 2011 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love this show. dutch and cash are hystarical on the show. i really hope that fox saves this show.

Comment by jen – May 12, 2011 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just finished watching last night’s episode and thought it was the funniest one to date. Was thinking it was a shame it got cancelled just as it was getting going. Hope FOX reconsiders.

Comment by Kevin – May 12, 2011 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE RENEW BREAKING IN! ITS ONE OF THE ONLY SHOW ON FOX THAT’S ACTUALLY FUNNY!

Comment by dydddd2x – May 12, 2011 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Fox does the unthinkable, who do we contact at TNT, it would a perfect companion to Leverage.

Comment by Leigh – May 12, 2011 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really? And they get rid of The Chicago Code and Lie To Me? I am done with Fox. I will just borrow the Bones dvds when they come out.
    STUPID FOX NETWORK

Comment by Moviefan2 – May 12, 2011 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They need to save this show – it’s great.

It has that good overall vibe while watching it – with definite influences from Chuck and BBT – and it’s cleanly executed with some great sets, especially on the interior sets where they’ve gone to a lot of trouble with the detailing.

I think the cast ‘fit’ their roles well. They each have their comedy characteristics which, as long as they aren’t repeated so much to become stale, could grow on an audience that discovers and sticks with the show.

I think the biggest risk is that the plot ideas could dry up or begin blurring between episodes.

There’s a lot of love for Breaking In out there – I really hope it gets more of a chance to prove itself.

Comment by Edward B – May 12, 2011 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Breaking In makes it, it’s fast-paced, unique, funny, has a great premise and cast. I want more!

Comment by Nadine – May 12, 2011 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch many comedies but loved Breaking In. The cast was terrific. I really hope they can salvage it somehow and keep it on the air.

Comment by Nic – May 12, 2011 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SAVE THE SHOW!!

Comment by Matt – May 12, 2011 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Save Human Target or Lie to Me instead!

Comment by Laura – May 12, 2011 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post