Scoop: Why Bones Killed a 'Beloved' Character

[The following story contains a major spoiler from this Thursday's episode of Fox's Bones.]

Here’s a fun little factoid: Did you know that there are at least 17 TV characters dying during this May sweeps period? And on this week’s Bones, one of those ill-fated folks met their end when – spoiler alert – former sniper Broadsky took out factoid-spouting squintern Vincent Nigel Murray (played by Ryan Cartwright) with a bullet intended for Booth.

As Booth desperately tried to put pressure on the bleeding wound and Brennan admitted that Vincent was her favorite, the lab rat begged “the universe” to let him stay. Alas, his time in the Bones universe came to an end.

The decision to kill off Vincent was in part a practical one influenced by the fact that Cartwright’s Syfy pilot, Alphas, got picked up to series. “The truth is he got a job,” series creator Hart Hanson explained at a Paley Center panel for the show, held earlier this week. “We knew [his exit] would happen before the end of this season, so the story has been in the works for a while. We knew that one of our squints, who are [played by] very, very talented actors, would get a job.”

The Jeffersonian assistant’s offing was also designed to give Bones viewers a punch in the gut. (Not to mention, it led Booth and Brennan into bed together, to do… something!) “He’s a well-beloved character… probably the favorite squint of the audience,” Hanson posited, “so we decided to kill him for the heartbreak.”

Well, consider Mission: Heartbreak accomplished. Even the Fox series’ cast found themselves wrecked by the loss. “Vincent is such a sweet character,” said Emily Deschanel, who shared that filming the death scene was “emotional.” “It’s just so heartbreaking. You love the character. You love the actor. I think he’s so talented.”

Did you predict that Vincent would be the one to die? Will you miss him? What did you think of his final scene?

1. Camila says:

It was totally predictable that it would be him… What I don’t like is that, why every time we have a something we love on this show they have to mess it up? Angela and Hodgins’ baby might be blind, B&B did “something” and we didn’t get anything else from that in the episode and we also lost an squintern, and I should say my favorite too!! Why couldn’t he win the lottery again and leave? Same thing with Zach, he just couldn’t go away, he had to be in a psychiatric facility… I feel like I’m watching a soap opera now…

2. zaza says:

I figured it would be Mr. Nigel-Murray and though he was my favorite intern, I thought I was prepared to let him go in a stoic manner. But I was sooo wrong. I cried like a baby…a hungry, angry baby. He was so sweet and his ending so sad. And I kept on crying…when Cam talked about having to tell his mother, when Brennan talked to Booth in the bedroom, when they brought out his coffin…ugh. Couldn’t stop.
    As for Brennan and Booth, I’m adopting a wait and see attitude. It SEEMED like they did it from her sheepish smile, but we’ve been fooled before (remember Booth’s dream?). But whatever happened (or didn’t) it feels like maybe they are moving closer to being a couple. Hope so!

3. Kevin F says:

Hart Hanson is wrong, Mr. Nigel Murray was not audience’s favorite. Zack was! Mr. Hanson, get your head out of you butt! Bring Zack back!

4. nessa says:

i loved this ep some much emotion ryan cartwright was amazing
    very sad we wont see him on bones again
    as for the b and b did they didnt they im sure everything will come out in the finale
    im hoping feverently for a flashback as to what exactly happened

• Maria Jose says:

Me too!!! I think as a faithful audience we DESERVE a hot flashback… ;) Remember when Brennan said that their “love making” would be great because of how they were so physical and had stamina??? Come on! We can’t be expected to thrive off looks and coy smiles,right? ;)

5. stone@ca says:

For a moment I thought Booth saved VNM and Cam had caught the bullet…I liked the bedroom scene and the innuendo…I mostly liked the expression on Booth’s face when Bones held onto his arm at the end :)

6. Cassandra_Elise says:

Once the promo pics were released several weeks ago, I totally knew it would be Vincent. That didn’t make his death any easier. He was my favorite squintern, and I bawled like a baby during the entire episode. :( I will definitely miss him, especially since I find all the other squinterns boring or annoying.

7. Rachel says:

SUCH A GOOD SENDOFF. Heartbreaking, and then they start singing all together and it’s just heartwarming…so many emotions! I’m glad I didn’t know who it was. Well played, Hart Hanson & Co. Well played. (although I must admit, I’m not excited for next week. I’m so emotionally wiped after this episode!!)

8. Liana in San Diego says:

I so miss VNM, as I adored his character AND his delicious English accent! As for Booth and Brennan, I don’t think they had sex. I think at most they had a good talk, and at the least, a gentle, sweet cuddle that awakened both of them to how they really feel about each other. I won’t for a moment believe the writers are so foolish that they wouldn’t let us in on what happened… that would be a collosal disdain for the viewers. And I agree with a previous commentor above that next week’s episode better have them both acknowledge that something – whatever that something is – did transpire between them.

9. Tom says:

That was one of the better Bones episodes this season (kind of faint praise considering it’s been a pretty weak season). It was nice to see Cartwright get a nice send off, but a little strange at the same time. Brennan barely noticed VNM most of the time he was on the show. Then, when he’s about to get offed, he’s suddenly collaborating with Brennan on projects and hanging out at the diner with the regulars. I thought that was a bit of a stretch. And where was Daisy? I didn’t see her at the funeral with the other squinterns. She is still Sweets’ squeeze, right?

As for the Booth/Bones bedroom scene, we’ll see where that goes. I still say it’s too little too late but we’ll see. I thought it was interesting the writers added this junior FBI agent (sorry,forget her name) who was trailing Booth around. I seem to recall Booth saying Booth/Brennan couldn’t remain partners per FBI rules if they became a couple. So I wonder if the appearance of this new character foreshadows something.

• zaza says:

I’m with you, Tom. The minute Vincent came in the diner, I knew for sure he’d be the one to catch a bullet, because they’ve NEVER shown him at the diner before.

10. Suncatcher says:

On a different note, why the heck did Booth only shoot Broadsky in the leg??? Why didn’t he just kill him? Looks like Broadsky will be baaaaaccckkk… (Yes, I know it was probably because Booth has retired as a sniper). : )

11. ggny says:

Hart Hanson can make up for killing VNM by bringing on Tina Majorino as a recurring character and a new love interest for Sweets

12. Lori says:

Such a pendulum episode – hilarious in the beginning with Hodges and Mr. Nigel-Murray (man vs. tyrannosaurus rex) and so, so sad with his death. Really liked his character and hope he does well on his next show.

No, No, No, do not show anything about Booth and Bones. If they get together then that’s the end of the show.

More fun to “keep wondering” on a new level!

13. Andie says:

I’m tired of this stupid relation between Booth and Brenan. Brenan is a cold, egocentric and stupid woman, i can’t believe all people is claiming for a romance and no one is sad because of vincent’s die. I really love vincet, he gived rithm and a little bit of comedy to each episode he appeared, and his death was really emocional. However, the only thing I read on each forum about this episode is about the possibility of a real romantic relationship between B&B. What about the others?? Bones is nothing without characters like Hodgins or Sweets, and as I said, withtout Vincent… Even Zac isn’t so beloved as vincent is for Bones fans. I’m Sorry for my english, I know isn’t good enough, but I really need to say something about this terrible sad episode. And yes, I hate brenan, because I’m tired of cuotes like “I’m the one” or “there’s no one as good as me in the world”. I mean, what about the treat she gaves to de canadian antropologist on foots episode?? and what about the fact of B&B have sex is more important for angela that vincent’s death?? Brennan, oh, she sucks, but is part of the charm of the show, like vincent was. I really hate the writers…

• Andie says:

Oh God, I read 1000 times my opinion and I didn’t realized about my gramatical mistakes until I send it… sorry for “foots” and no “feet” and things like that… I’m not an English speaker, so I can’t speak and write well. Sorry, and please, don’t hate me about my bad english and my bad opinion of Brenan. thanks

• Maria Jose says:

I can forgive you for your misspells but not for the Brennan hate letter, I mean we’re all entitled to our own opinions,but you do know this is a “forum” about Bones,right? Bones lovers and shippers???

14. Allyson says:

haha I just noticed that the tag on this says Vincent Cartwright, not RYAN Cartwright. I just found that amusing. :)
    I was sad to see VNM go. He was a great character. His death was pretty predictable to me though, so I wasn’t surprised.
    and the Bones/Booth scenes have me all curious as to what might unfold :)

15. Pamela says:

I’m going to follow Mr. Vincent Nigel Murray to Alphas & NEVER come back if those vague and cryptic scenes of B/B in bed and Angela/Brennan are all that the fans get after waiting 6 years. Grrrr. Very poor. Count me not in the least excited if that is it.

16. Diane Yaghoobian says:

Glad to see he hasn’t crossed the pond; I thought his US career might have nose-dived and his occasional appearances on Booth wouldn’t cover the rent. Bad enough Kris Marshall’s Traffic Light on Fox took a dive. It’s nice when Brits aren’t the bad guys on US shows, for a change. Now if they would just reciprocate with Americans who are not fat, stupid and money-grubbing…

17. Diane Yaghoobian says:

Oops, meant Bones but y’all know. Didn’t think Finder looked that promising but would give it a look when it shows up. Seems a limited premise.

18. DramaMomma says:

I really wish they had some of the known sqinterns such as Wendell carry the the coffin out to the car. It would have been a nice nod to the competition the sqinterns were in to be Bones’ favorite.

19. Trista Drumm says:

Did anyone else notice the time on the clock when she entered booths bedroom 4:47 was the exact time in the dream episode that brennan got into bed with booth…. Pretty interesting!

20. Sara says:

Way to honor Vincent in your opening statement!

21. BigFan says:

I cried when Vincent died.
    I didn’t watch the show very much but I’ve seen a few episodes and I thought he was an awkward funny person I can’t believe they killed him off..(I understand why though)

22. Mary Anna says:

Please…….someone help me? What/Who did the song as VNM was dying? It sounds like that Blonde singer that was on the show a few weeks ago, but cannot for the life of me think of her name. Not really interested in her, but the song that was playing as Mr. Vincent Nigel-Murray passed away.

23. Corinne says:

“Keep the Streets Empty for Me” by Fever Ray

24. Mariana says:

I Love mr.Nigel-Murray, he was my favourite squintern :´( i cry a lot when he started saying:”i don’t want ot leave” but i did see it
    coming when he appeared in the episode (i knew they weren’t going to kill a main character) R.I.P Mr. Nigel-Murray

25. FKG says:

This was so heartbreaking. Vincent was my favorite. I hope his new show has a lot of success.

26. Sarah N says:

Does anyone know which song was being played as Broadsky was preparing to shoot into the lab? Thanks!!

27. Sarah N says:

Sorry…I thought I was on the last page when I posted that!!

28. Stuart says:

Killing a squint was the easy way out. I was hoping it would be Angela. She’s so annoying, and completely unrealistic how she can do all that reconfiguration and such in the matter of a click or two of the button. Then have Hodgins go off the reservation, and start spending his millions and millions on some payback!

Booth and Bones, it’s so worked up, when they have them finally do it, it won’t meet viewer expectations.

To me this show is way too predictable anymore. I wish they’d change it up some.

29. Barbara says:

I was shocked, and sad to see him go. He was my favorite intern. But I’m happy to hear he’s on a new series and will look for it.

30. JB says:

Just love this show. Wishing all the best to all in the show. Hopefully they continue with more seasons.

31. Melissa says:

I hate Hart Hanson.

32. Nickel says:

I predicted it would either be him or Cam…because those are the only characters that wouldnt inpact the show entirely if gone. I am very sad that vincent is gone but happy that Cam isn’t.

33. Carol Hubbell says:

How is the fact Brennan has announced she is pregnant going to fit?
    We have been waiting years for B&B to get together and that was it?
    Maybe I missed something. I have watched the final several times and still haven’t figured it out. Any help out there??? I think the Hannah thing would have been great.
    Comment by Carol

34. Kellie says:

I cried so much when Vincent died. I think he was my favourite TV character ever (no exaggeration), he was so funny and sweet and Ryan Cartwright is such a talented actor. I think everyone’s in agreement that Daisy should have died instead, but I think they would have lost the sadness of it all by killing off a character that no-one particularly liked.

35. Joyfulone says:

I love the show and watch it every chance I get . I hated to see the young man (Nigel) go but the way the script was written was just awesome. I think that if it would have been Caroline I would have quite watching the show. She is the “Abby” (NCIS) to Bones and without her personality it would not be the same. She is her character, so to speak. If they ever change Abby or write her off I would quit watching it as well.

36. Ruby Gaffney says:

As brilliant as it was, I could not help but despise the episode. Vincent’s departure was heart breaking and I had this niggling hope that suddenly the ‘real’ Vincent would appear and prove that the entire ‘getting shot’ was just a test to lure out Brodsky. Alas, this was not meant to be, and instead I watched as Vincent spluttered his last words, bringing tears to my eyes. Hmmm, perhaps I take my television too seriously, but hey, that’s just me. I loved Vincent even more than I loved Zack, which is most certainly saying something, and he was definately my favourite squintern. His random facts were hilarious and his geeky antics were heart warming. Vincent, you will be missed.

37. Lily says:

Why do the networks always have to kill off characters? Why can’t they just give them new jobs?

38. Donna Gilleece-Smith says:

This hasn’t even aired how has everyone one seen it??? It’s May 10th and it’s airing on Monday 12th not Thursday in the eastern US

39. acurat says:

I am confused, Bones in on Monday, now on Thursday? Will fox stop moving this around?