Exclusive

Two and a Half Men Shocker: Hugh Grant to Replace Charlie Sheen?

It’s long been reported that Two and a Half Men was going after a big name to replace Charlie Sheen next season, and now, thanks to TVLine’s sister site, Deadline.com, we know who it is: Hugh Grant!

Well, make that “who it was.” According to Deadline’s Nikki Finke, the deal — which would’ve paid the former matinee idol a cool $1 million per episode — fell through yesterday over creative differences. Mind you, that doesn’t mean that negotiations are completely dead necessarily. But it doesn’t look good.

Would you have watched Men with Grant as its leading man? Got another actor in mind to fill Sheen’s shoes? Let rip below. If CBS execs want to announce its fired lead’s replacement at next week’s upfronts, they needs all the help it can get!

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. alex says:

Kill this show already. It was never funny, and it wasn’t because of the actors in it.

• Andy says:

Amen to that!

• Booth_girl says:

I second that. It’s been dumb for years!

• matt says:

i think it only got less funny after season 5 when Jake started growing up. i think the safe bet would be to cancel

• TheOtherGuy says:

Exactly… Jake was continuously dumbed down as he grew up. The 1/2 man hasn’t been there for a while, now no Charlie? The STAR of the show? Nope won’t be watching no matter who they replace him with.

• Sourabh says:

I don’t think quality of the show is a determining factor when CBS renews/cancels a show.

• stevenjaba says:

amen!

• TargetDemo says:

I dont think quality is a determining factor for any network..
        It couldnt possibly be. Look at whats on television today… Most of it is trash… and the few good shows that come around get cancelled early.

• Ted says:

The show would be better if they made Alan & Jake into cop partners. CBS has a nice spectrum of shows, but they are clearly missing a police procedural show to round out the lineup.

• april-ann says:

Agreed about killing it already. It was dead in the water and stopped being funny the minute the boring fiance was introduced.

• Patricia says:

Agreed! Networks are so quick to cancel new shows but yet they won’t let a show die that so obviously needs to.

• sarah h says:

Actually, I might have checked it out with Hugh in the lead. It probably would have become a completely different show – one that had a bit of wit and didn’t treat women like crap! I’m kind of picturing the shallow man he initially played in “About a Boy.” Of course, Hugh isn’t enough to overcome truly awful writing (and a bad co-star) like Notting Hill, but he probably could have attracted a whole new demographic. But since they won’t be signing him because of “creative differences” TPTB probably weren’t planning on an interesting new take towards the show, anyway. Better just cancel it.

• Donna King says:

Charlie Sheen in my opinion was just a straight man for the real talent on this show. John Cryer didnt win an Emmy for nothing, Anges is beyond funny, Conchata Farrel is one of the best comidic actresses around and Holland taylor is amazing. The show has always been funny and NOT because of Charlie Sheen. I was SO tired of his drunken escapades any way. Hugh Grant would be great just as long as the show isnt canceled.

• Andrew Z says:

i agree!cancel the show!it was funny for 5 years and then went downhill.

2. Amanda says:

I would love it!

3. Alan says:

I had an idea this morning for a replacement – Corey Feldman

• Derek says:

That gave me another idea: Gary Busey. You’ll have enough material so you can fire the writers, too.

• Shania says:

I actually thought of this when I was watching Celebrity Apprentice. He’d be a definite improvement over Sheen, and I think he’d bring in some viewers.

4. Erik Avilez says:

That’s freaking awesome! Well, I rather not losing Sheen in the show, but since that ship’s sailed, I think Grant’s a great name. You can see in some movies that sam’old “I don’t care”-look in his face, and I’d most certainly watch the show.

Though he’s not, of course, the best sam’old: Charlie Sheen.

5. bmospr04 says:

I don’t get how it would have worked. Way to shott for the moon…might as well cancel the show

6. Mags says:

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again.. Robert Downey Jr.

• steph says:

who is making iron man 3 and the avengers, and i imagine is far too busy to commit to a tv show

• Bob says:

And don’t forget the Sherlock Holmes franchise.

• Laurel says:

Robert Downey Jr has so many offers for movies he’s turning them down and he makes top dollar doing it.
      I sincerely doubt he would want to be tied down or take a step down in his career for a TV sitcom.

Although he would be funny in the part.

• jrs says:

“the part” What part? They’re not going to just replace the actor playing that character.

• caz says:

I could so see downey playing a great charlie, but hes to in the limelight with movies right now if this was pre-07 i think they would have pushed for him

• Ralfieboy says:

yepp Robert Downey Jr is agood man for the role, but i will miss charlie sheen alot, he is a pretty good actor and i respect him alot, so i hope he will come in the later seasons. :)

7. Lisa says:

I can’t stand Hugh Grant…so no. Corey Feldman might be pretty funny. But I would really rather not lose Charlie.

8. Martijn says:

Now that’s what I call an amazing idea! From what I’ve seem in American Dream, Hugh can play a great d*ck and still be charming as hell.

It probably won’t happen, but I’d sure watch the show with Grant in it!

9. Jessica. says:

Wow…It would be great *___*

10. Kiki says:

I’ve always hated 2 1/2 men, refused to watch it. THIS I would watch. I LOVE Hugh Grant.

11. Megan says:

I’ve never watched Two and a Half Men, but I would have given it a try if Hugh Grant was on the show.

12. Blink says:

Hugh Grant is amazing, I’m all for him on Two and a Half Men!

13. Sarah P. says:

Don’t do it, Hugh!!!

14. Kerry says:

No… Hugh Grant

I think Christian Slater would be perfect!!!!

15. Mona says:

Wow, Yeah, had that happened, I would’ve watched my first two and half men episode.

16. Karen Koepke says:

What about Judd Nelson from The Breakfast Club?

• BRETT says:

He’s a psycho and a menace to work with. There’s no way that would ever happen. They’re looking for someone that people get along with..

• Amber says:

Judd Nelson already played the ex-husband of that girl from Melrose Place that Alan was/is dating, no? It would be weird to have him play two different people on that show, unless they just had him keep playing the ex-husband guy. But they obviously don’t seem to have a problem working with him if they’ve hired him before. However, I don’t think he’s a big enough name if they’re really going for a big name. But the problem with big names is who’s really want to want to step down from doing movies to going back to doing a TV series? It would have to be someone who’s on their way down in life instead of on their way up, and they’ve already seen that hiring someone who’s on their way down doesn’t work.

17. Gilby says:

I’m with the others who have never watched this show (save for a rerun here and there) but this would make me tune in! Hugh Grant would be the perfect addition – like Martijn said, he’s great at playing a d*ck while still being charming. I wouldn’t miss an episode if he were brought on! I hope negotiations continue!!!!

18. brynna says:

Would have totally watched.

19. galley says:

Hugh Grant would be phenomenol! He can play an idiot womanizer and still be loveable. It would be interesting to see him up against Jon Cryers character and I can totally see a cool dynamic between him and Charlie & Alans mother!

20. Thais says:

I know someone! Why not give it to the guy who never should’ve left? Bring Charlie Sheen back, for crying out loud!!!

• Carm says:

Charlie deserved to be fired and he should stay fired.

• Thais says:

I disagree 100% with you on that one, but hey, we’re all entitled to have an opinion.

• dee says:

Charlie needs to stay gone until he realizes that he is just as sick as Lindsay Lohan. The public does not deserve to put up with either one of these crack pots. 2 1/2 Men does deserve to complete some storylines that are out there swimming in the Pacific Ocean. Dollars to donuts, Alan has a daughter with the ex. Charlie could just marry Rose and disappear. Please do not end the show just yet. Jake could become the next Charlie!!!

21. Lulu says:

I was done with 2 1/2 men but Hugh Grant is a great choice. I would watch.

22. Renee says:

Thanks to the idiots at Fox, Christian Slater is now available so I think Two and a Half Men should hire him.

23. Kevin says:

How about Jeremy Piven

• Jana says:

Yes please! I was thinking about that too. He would be a perfect fit and I’d love to see him in that role now that Entourage is ending soon. =)

• jrs says:

Oh gawd, two words to jeremy piven – “pee” and “yuke”. That man makes my skin crawl, not that it really matters. I’ve never watched an episode of this show and never will, but still they do show commercials.

24. Pearl says:

I’ll agre: ROBERT DOWNEY JR IS PERFECT FOR THE ROLE! Especially cause he might get the show bigger and better!

25. John Berggren says:

I hope they work this out. I would watch all 22 episodes if they made this change.

26. Jerzy says:

I’ve never watched this show. Not for any particular reason, I just never tuned in. I would definitely give it a shot for Hugh Grant!

27. silly says:

is he going to play charlie or just someone else??? because they really don’t look alike!

28. I Lohr says:

I like Hugh G. I think the producers should play the gay card. It would give new direction to the show. Another womanizer would be boring. Been there, done that. Change is needed to revive the show.

29. Benny says:

Ralph Macchio

30. Rolfe says:

Why would Hugh Grant agree to do this?

• Benny says:

1 million a week maybe?

• lacey says:

Though I can’t think of anything that he’s done recently Hugh Grant is a pretty popular movie star. $1 million per episode might be enticing if his career is in the toilet, but still he’s a big enough star that he shouldn’t have to settle for a show that fired it’s star.

31. Jay says:

Whose moronic idea is this? This is a terrible idea. Charlie had to go, but I only watched the show to see John Cryer anyway. He was the funny one. Build the show around him. Adding Hugh Grant, would essentially kill any chance this show has, at succeeding without Sheen. Grant is horrible! I certainly wouldn’t be tuning in again, if he was added.

32. Davey says:

If Hugh Grant does a TV show he should have a new show built around him.

• Cincy says:

Totally agree, Davey. If he’s willing to do TV, he should have a fresh show. If he does one for the same producers, everyone but the actors could keep their jobs. Sorry, “Jake”!

33. V3n0m says:

The entire show got two and a half laughs during it’s whole duration. Sometimes people need to put an old dog to sleep. And this show should’ve happened years ago!!! I hate to see someone (or some show) suffering!!!!

34. ketta says:

I probably won’t watch the show anymore. But I am really disappointed with Charlie sheen. Obviously he doesn’t understand that he made that show. It definitely will not be the same.

35. Goldie says:

Isn’t ii obvious?? Emilio Estevez

• tory says:

@ goldie……………..GENIUS, now that’s what i am talking about

• Amber says:

Emilio Estevez already played a character on the show, and I believe he died in the episode he was in. =) It’s a funny idea, though.

• I like the show says:

How about Martin Sheen? He can play their father’s twin brother that they never knew about but turns out to be Alan’s “real” dad. He moves into the beach house to get to know Alan better… and then the mom moves in because she lost her home because of the economy. Have the boy come around more often and keep the housekeeper. Send Charlie away with Rose on a cruise around the world to explain his absence. Ta Da. Re-write complete!

36. Tania says:

This series was NEVER funny. That it lasted this long says a great deal about the viewers and what THEY consider funny. As for Hugh Grant, it would be nice to see him on television but in something that resembles a true comedy as opposed to this sophmoric nonense.

• Dave says:

I’m quite confused about all the people who say this show isn’t funny. I’m highly educated, very intelligent (140 IQ), and very well-versed in a wide array of comedy and I think this is one of the funniest shows on TV in recent memory. Heck, even the vanity cards often make me laugh out loud. Maybe everyone who’s complaining is some sort of “The Office” snob and thinks that all the best comedy has to be so subtle as to be nearly invisible?

• Big Tone says:

Man, learn a sense of humor. This show was consistently funny. Whether it dealt with “Charlie”, “Allen”, or “Jake”. The show just had good writers. And the same producer as Big Bang Theory Dumbass. Is that not funny too?

37. tory says:

That has got to be the most preposterous casting EVER!!!!! Hugh Grant on Two and a Half Men?????????? Oh goodness, they need to fire whoever came up w/ that idea.

38. Richard head says:

I say Charlie sheen should replace Charlie sheen. Just don’t hire any trolls.

39. Fox Jericho says:

I wouldnt watch this without Charlie Sheen, especially if that panzy chick flick magnet Grant would be in it. Sheen IS Two and a Half Men. Without him, the show is DOD.

40. Kevin says:

Creative differences and they have not filmed an episode yet we want a whole season not a creative shutdown again

• Dwigt says:

It reminds me of the Harry Shearer’s word about his departure from SNL for “creative differences”: “I was creative. They were different.”

41. Josh says:

Jeremy Piven should replace charlie sheen!!! he would take the humor
    to a whole new level!!!!

42. Jill says:

I would have watched it with Hugh Grant. Definitely wouldn’t have with Charlie Sheen still on it.

43. Rich says:

Like the idea of Hugh Grant but throwing another name into the mix, John Cusack. Awesome comic timing with the nonchalant face to match and let’s face it his film career seems to be stumbling a bit recently.

44. WB Frog says:

Have Sheen, Lorre, WB and CBS make up and bring Sheen back for one last season.

45. Brad says:

Great another loser to replace a loser. Just cancel it already.

46. Jawsphobia says:

Hugh Grant would be a good choice, assuming the show has a fiscal need to continue at all. Presumably there is an unsurance obligation or something between the network and Chuck Lorre obligating the attempt.

There may still be some equity in the brand, as a habit for some viewers.

But rather than another celeb who has been busted with a hooker, how about going in the opposite direction?

A female who has also been tabloid fodder. Maybe Lindsay Lohan is going through gender reasssignment so the grown-up son and Jon Cryer are the two men and Lindsay is the half-man.

47. c-me says:

Betty White.

48. Xtremecamera says:

I’m no prude, I make a living shooting fine art nudes, but the crap that this show, HIMYM, and even mike and Molly are just way too raunchy for broadcast TV. I don’t understand the appeal of this show nor it’s characters.

• Big Tone says:

prude. get laid once in a while you’ll understand. and not by your steady 4 year girlfriend Trisha. From a skank down the street. Then you’ll start liking the humor more

49. raelee514 says:

That would have been interesting!

50. Natalie says:

Yes. I’d watch Two an a half men if Hugh grant was to take Charlie sheen’s place!!