Scoop: NBC Picks Up Glee-Esque Musical Smash, Prime Suspect Redo, Two Others

NBC is the latest broadcast net to get a jump on “upfront” week, ordering four pilots to series including the Steven Spielberg-produced musical drama Smash, a romantic comedy starring Chelsea Lately mainstay Whitney Cummings (titled Whitney) and a remake of the Brit hit Prime Suspect starring Maria Bello.

The Peacock also gave a green light to the Christina Applegate sitcom Up All Night, which finds the Samantha Who? actress playing a working mother. Will Arnett costars as her husband.

Chuck Spies Fifth Season, Parenthood Inching Closer to Renewal

NBC — which will unveil its fall schedule to advertisers on Monday — is expected to announce additional pickups on Thursday.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Fall TV Preview, News, Scoop

1. ScrubsGuy says:

So no 17th Precinct? D’OH!

2. Eva LePelley says:

anything on what is being cancelled..im still hoping Outsourced comes back next season!!

• DryedMangoez says:

It will be interesting to see how NBC can justify renewing similarly low rated series yet not renew Outsourced which was their best performing new scripted series before they moved it to 10:30.

• jenna says:

i’m having doubts :( The show has gotten significantly less funny as the season goes on, hoping theres still a chance for season 2 though!

3. AJ says:

That’s it?

4. DryedMangoez says:

When you say “Glee-esque” does that mean horrible writing, tired gimmicks and a plot-less mess?

• Joshua says:

Most reviews have said its not really like Glee. It seems more drama based and has original songs. Much better than Glee IMO.

• butter says:

Yeah it won’t really be like Glee but it will have Katherine McPhee so no thanks! Ugh!

• jenna says:

anyone else feel like one musical show is more than enough? I mean add that to the number of music reality shows (American idol, X-factor, the voice etc.) its gets tiring listening to all of these covers

• Allie says:

This is about people actually creating Broadway productions. It is far more sophisticated and the musical numbers happen in actual performance context. It’s also being helmed by some pretty great people who know how to put on a good show, both television and theater wise, i.e. not Ryan Murphy. So I think it should be pretty good.

• ErixN says:

haha… Katherine McPhee could be the deal breaker for me to not watch. Yeah, I voted for her to win against Taylor only because I didn’t want Taylor to win, but she didn’t deserve to be in the top 2 that year either.

• NickC says:

McPhee is the reason i will be watching…I think she’s Great.She is going to break out acting.IMO

• DryedMangoez says:

Seriously though, it’s as if Glee is the first musical ever produced for television. Just because it is a musical doesn’t mean it’ll be anything like Glee. And if anything Glee is “High School Musical-esque.”

I was just annoyed by the horrible headline.

• Caio says:

Actually, all of these shows, glee including, should be called Cop Rock-esque

• sashay says:

Yep, and I didn’t like that show either. Musicals are best as one-offs, and they better be written by talented people! I believe that would exclude Ryan Murphy et al.

• Johnification says:

I’m sick of hearing this show is “Glee-esque” just because it’s a musical. It’s literally like comparing 42nd Street to High School Musical.

I imagine the association between TV’s two musicals is being done to draw buzz for Smash, but I hope the showrunners eventually realize that it only creates NEGATIVE connections (bad writing, thin characters, etc).

If anything, they should advertise it as the “anti-Glee.” Or “Glee for grownups”.

5. bmospr04 says:

Cool on the Prime Suspect pickup

6. Stevie says:

Any word on My Life as an Experiment?

• Tiffany says:

I’m definitely interesting in this one, too. I want to know if Criminal Minds is getting Paget back!

• LDSK says:

No official word but Deadline reports intrest in the pilot is very low. I would love to get Paget back on CM but just because her pilot isn’t picked up doesn’t mean she will go back. She may just deside she wants to keep pursuing something else.

7. Sam says:

GOD…Please cancel CHUCK!

• JC says:

nope already picked up for season 5!

• I_Captain Blanco says:

Or hey, here’s a thought: NBC doesn’t cancel CHUCK, but “Sam” exercises his/her god-given right to NOT WATCH IT.

• sashay says:

Totally agree. I can understand someone hating a show because it advocates treating women like garbage (21/2 Men), you cannot get away from it on any entertainment platform (Glee), its fans troll other threads (Harry’s Law), but Chuck and its fans never hurt or bothered anyone. Some people are just plain unpleasant to deal with or be near…

8. Caio says:

Please. Just because the show is about the making of a musical doesn’t mean it has anything to do or is anything like Glee, thus calling it Glee-esque is ridiculous.

9. Josh says:

I dislike Whitney Cummings….she is sort of like a not as great Sarah Silverman…and I’m not even a big Sarah Silverman fan.

10. will says:

RE: SMASH — you said before that JONATHAN GROFF might star in it. can this be confirmed? coz i don’t usually like musicals but i love GROFF. i didn’t watch GLEE this season until he came back and if SMASH has him, i’ll be watching it. if not, i don’t think i will.

11. Stephen S. says:

What’s the word on the Playboy show? Anybody know? I actually thought that show sounded kind of promising.

• Caio says:

NBC has only ordered shows produced by NBCUniversal. Playboy is produced by another studio, so no early pick-up, though it seems likely it’ll get a series order.

12. deedeedragons says:

They’re going ahead with Prime Suspect? Helen Mirren’s portrayal is still way too big to step out from.

13. eviltwit says:

I like Maria Bello, but it’s going to be nigh near impossible to follow Helen Mirren.