Exclusive

Fringe Exclusive: Seth Gabel Returning Full-Time

Looks like someone’s going to take advantage of that fancy new “bridge” between universes next season on Fringe — and that someone is Seth Gabel!

Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that the actor — who has recurred the last two seasons as Bolivia’s “Over There” colleague, Lincoln Lee — will return in Season 4 as a full-fledged series regular.

Fringe Finale Exclusive: WTF Just Happened?! Producers Answer (Some) Burning Questions!

In a March episode, viewers finally met Linc’s “Over Here” doppelganger — a mild-mannered FBI desk jockey. But I think it’s safe to say it’s the immensely popular alt-Linc who will be the version we see more of come fall.

This marks Gabel’s first full-time series gig since he starred as silver-spooned brat Jeremy Darling on ABC’s Dirty Sexy Money.

Fringe Spoiler: New Intel on The Top-Secret ‘Bridge’

I’m going to go out on a limb and say Fringe fans will greet this news with open and loving arms. Feel free to back me up on that in the comments.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. rip van winkle says:

yay! he’s a great character. hopefully he’ll get some fauxlivia action this season.

• Kat says:

Oh my fricking goodness I am too excited I love Lincoln Lee! He became my favorite character over this season. I just began to adore him. His sarcastic humor and cheeky smile. I’m SO pleased. Him and fauxlivia are awesome together. He made me like her.

Thank you Seth Gabel for signing on and thanks Fringe peeps for signing him on he’s AWESOME!

• Tallulah says:

I agree kat! I was like hmmm, well if someone as lovely and awesome as HIM can love Fauxliv, then fine, I like her too… =P
        Also, the whole trying-to-save-both-universes thing too helped, but yes :)

• Tizzy says:

I totally love Lincoln! I like the Alt. Lincoln, though. The original One is…nerdy. Me and my sister call the Alt. Lincoln “Puncoln” (Punk+Lincoln) and the original One is Nelincoln (Nerdy+Lincoln)

2. Jacob says:

I had a hunch this was coming.

3. Sam says:

Great news!!!

• mel says:

I agree, I love this character. He is such a sweetie and a cutie. But don’t bring back the wierd nerdy other version of him.

• Tasha says:

I LIKE the nerdy this side version of him. I hope that version becomes part of Olivia’s team. They will be needing someone to replace Peter anyways.

• hadenb says:

Peter won`t be needing replacing for long, I`m sure. There is room in either universe, for Peter AND an ACTION Lincoln.

• Jacob says:

I like Over There’s Lincoln. I feel I could LOVE Over Here’s. Hopefully we’ll get to see a little bit of both next season.

• jlark11 says:

I like this side’s Licoln Lee. Love having two of each. It makes the show more exciting.

4. Mike says:

Yes. Love Seth Gabel, and Lincoln Lee. Awesome.

• Q says:

YES! I love Seth Gabel in everything he does – he was so scary-crazy in Nip/Tuck, and then delightfully spoiled but good hearted in DSM. Having him on Fringe, my favorite show, is fantastic!

5. ck says:

Thanks! It’s like a spoiler without being a spoiler ;)

6. Adrienne says:

What about Charlie Francis? Does that mean we get to see more of alt-him? I miss him so much!

• Jared says:

I assume that Charlie will continue to show up as a recurring character in the alt-universe storylines, as he did this year. However, Kirk Acevedo has a pilot at NBC (Prime Suspect) that’s been getting good buzz, so if it gets picked up, he may not be as prominent in Season 4. It’ll all depend on how many guest appearances his contract would allow him to make.

• Mica says:

I like Charlie very much. Of course I’d like to have him as a regular, but as a recurring character is good as well, since he shows up now and again.

• Eross says:

Wait, they’re now doing a U.S Prime Suspect!?!? And I was scared when SYFY started a U.S Being Human! Anyhow, Love Lincoln(both versions) and Charlie, so this this season should be fun.

• Mel says:

I miss Charlie too!! Everytime we watched an episode in the beginning we always said “hope they never get rid of Charlie, we love him” and then we were sooo upset when they killed him!!! Please bring him back.

7. John Berggren says:

Awesome. I can hardly wait until September/October/November for new episodes.
    I do hope the Fringe team is planning an endgame, and gets the network on board for a specific duration of the show. I could easily see them being able to wrap up the series in the next 22, but if they need another 22 beyond that, I hope WB and Fox can come to an agreement.

8. trylobyte says:

Now that Peter is ‘gone’ Will he be in the middle of the love triangle between the Olivias??? :-P

• SAM says:

Funny – my immediate thought was something along those lines, i.e. since Linc doesn’t seem to have a chance with Fauxlivia then he might be more open to Olivia.

• Irishgirl says:

Excellent news!!! I like Lincoln Lee….both versions! I wonder if he will be the father of Faux’s baby now….if the non-existence of Peter shifts the paternity to Lincoln. He was the closest person to Faux outside of her BF.

• Matt says:

That’s a fascinating question – I hadn’t thought about that part of
        peter’s disappearance. Will Fauxlivia still have a baby at all? It’s more interesting if yes, but they’ll have some serious ‘splaining to do!

• Martine says:

Nope there is no baby. I don’t know who twittered it but without Peter there is no baby.

• ev says:

Without peter theres no reason for walter to rip the universe. Peter has to be somewhere otherwise none of the last four seasons happened.

• debbiedee says:

Exactly…without Peter, there is no baby. But if there’s no Peter, how & why did Walter 1st cross-over? Wasnt his action the first hole? Is Peter really gone for good? I dont understand why a deal wasnt worked out! Im glad Jeremy Darling got a new gig…but why did Peter leave? I apologize for asking if Im the only person in the Universe that doesnt know.

• Ruthie says:

I don’t think the writers even contemplate these questions when developing a script. I don’t know if they even look back to see where they’ve been. They leave the gaps and the holes and questions for us, the audience, to try an figure out.

• allie says:

I’ve been wondering if there will even be a baby… if he never existed that could be a bit of a problem.

• Claire says:

Wouldn’t Altivia still be with Frank since there was no Peter to ruin that?

• Irishgirl says:

I contemplated that possibility too. That would seem to be the easiest fix to the baby angle, and the one I think they are most likely pursue. Babies and sci-fi don’t normally gel. I guess I like the idea of Lincoln and Faux together since he loves her so much.

• Claire says:

I’d like for Lincoln to end up with Altivia too, mostly cause the way he cares for her is just so… Lovable. Plus, that frees up Peter to be with the woman he belongs to be. :D

• Akshaye says:

Well… If Peter didn’t exist and thus neither the baby, then there’s no point in fauklivia’s ex bf leavin her in the first place. So it’d be stupid to have Lee as Fauxlivia’s new love…

9. Daniela says:

Yay! I love Lee!!!

10. Donna says:

I only care about Joshua Jackson coming back.

• Fre says:

He will come back.Don’t worry.

Happy for Seth Gabel.Lincoln is such a great character.

• Audrey says:

I’m sure he’s coming back. His character doesn’t hold much interest for me. He doesn’t appeal to me as a leading/romantic actor. It’s Walter and Olivia that carry the show. Now we have some eye candy with Seth Gabel!

• tee says:

I agree…without Peter, no one’s going to want to watch the next season, which means the ratings will drop like lead, and then the show will end up being cancelled.

• SH31 says:

Argh! Peter IS coming back!! I wish people would stop saying he’s left, when a simple look online reveals that J Jackson is still contracted for the entire next season.

Great news about a regular Lincoln though.

11. Will says:

Great news!

12. burn0321 says:

This is sweet news man! How is he going to deal with being in love w 2 Olivia’s

13. RiffRaff says:

I knew this was coming and I absolutely love it, He may not take Charlie’s place in my heart but he is a very welcome addition!!

14. NickC says:

After a Bad season ender this makes me very happy.Both Agent Lees are very cool…Lets be straight.If this show does not get more people watching this will be the end of FRINGE.I hope they move it and put it with another show that will help it.

15. Julio says:

YES! Best news ever!

16. Pat says:

This, I like.

Lincoln Lee is a good character, JP an JW did good making this move.

17. Laurel says:

I didn’t realize that I was a fan of Seth Gabel until I saw Lincoln Lee. This is welcome news!

18. Pamela says:

Great news!

19. mare says:

I guess since they cut Josh Jackson and got rid of Peter, they had a budget for new cast member. Too bad, Peter was the only reason I still watched. Wish they had been canceled.

• Pamela says:

Josh Jackson is coming back to Fringe.

• DrewH says:

Um…they didn’t cut JJ. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005045/news Simmer down.

• Jess says:

Josh Jackson is still a full series regular. He will be back…we’re just going to have a different version of Peter than we’ve seen before, probably.

• John Berggren says:

Just want to echo what a silly comment this is. Apart from the fact that you can easily clarify his series regular status by using google, anyone with TV experience would caution you to assume a cast member who disappears in a season finale wont’ be back the next season.
      Further – no actor/actress/character is greater than the needs of a story. If their death or disappearance moves the story forward, all the better for it. I can’t imagine getting invested in a show and having it all hang on one character. If that were the case, you could just watch Dawsons Creek reruns over and over.

• Catherine says:

Ok, then. Let’s kill Walter and see how long the show lasts. Fringe is very much a character story.

• John Berggren says:

If Walter’s death made for a better story, I would be all for it. There are no stakes when characters you’ve grown to love HAVE to live for you to continue enjoying the show.
          If I were in charge of the show I’d be very hesitant to remove or kill any of the characters precisely for the reason you’re referencing – but if the story calls for it and it makes for a better show, I’d rather they have the balls to do it. I’d also like to think that the audience would respect the decision and enjoy the story.

• James says:

If Peter never existed would either Walter have made the machine to go to alternate universe? I think the entire story would change.

• Freddo says:

Wow, that’s a silly thought. The core characters DO matter. And if the writers mess with them too much, the ratings will just keep sliding.

I trust the writers understand this, so I’m not worried… yet.

• John Berggren says:

It would take a miracle for the ratings of Fringe to move in a positive direction. Don’t jump on me for saying as much – I’m a huge fan of Fringe. It’s my #1 show on TV right now. Given the position the show is in, though, I’d say that nothing should be disregarded because it might interrupt the ratings.
          To me, at this point, they should be balls-to-the-wall. They should do anything and everything that makes sense for the story, and don’t mind the ratings evermuch. I hope that Fringe makes a phenomenal 5 year series – but the producers would be unwise to plan on a season 5, unless there is another sweetheart deal waiting in the wings that I don’t know about.

• Aimee says:

I am glad that you agree. It’s going to be awhile, but I am going to trust it will be OK.

• Emily says:

Just want to point out what a silly comment yours is. First, have you ever heard of a little show called House? If that show doesn’t hang on one character, I don’t know what does. Second, in my experience, a good show never does anything that big without resolution. The cliffhanger wouldn’t have been the Observers noting that Peter never existed if they weren’t going to explore that.

And, maybe you are wiser than everyone else, but somehow, when an EP says someone will be back, I tend to believe them over your experience.

• John Berggren says:

The first part of my comment affirms that Peter will be back per the producers comments – so I don’t know where you are going with that. And sure, a show with a TITLE CHARACTER would probably not do well with the loss of that TITLE CHARACTER – but evenso it’s been known to happen – check out Valerie/Valerie’s Family/The Hogan Family for a solid example.
          I don’t look at Fringe in the league of HOUSE. I look at Fringe in the league of shows like LOST or BATTLESTAR GALACTICA. Neither show was shy about making characters you care about gone. If you love the character at the expense of the show, you are probably not invested in the SHOW. FRINGE is greater than the sum of it’s parts, no matter how wonderful each of those parts is.
          The comment was in reference to someone wanting to quit watching the show and wishing it was cancelled because of their misunderstanding that the disappearance of PETER meant that JOSHUA JACKSON would not be returning next year. My point is that even if that was true – the loss of one character making you turn on the show and wish it was cancelled probably means you aren’t a FRINGE fan in the first place. I think JOSHUA JACKSON has more respect for FRINGE than that.

• Donna says:

“If you love the character at the expense of the show, you are probably not invested in the SHOW.” No, I would say most people are invested in the character relationships on the show… which are “the show” to most of us.

• Seth says:

John Berggren, I think that her point was that contrary to what you said, it isn’t at all unimaginable to get invested in a show and have it hang all on one character. Careful about speaking in absolutes.

But I know what you mean. I’m tired of seeing declarations that Peter is gone and so is their viewership. Think, people. Fringe fans have got to be smarter than that.

• Kevin says:

The fact that the Observers made a comment that “peter” never existed implies that they are doing far more then just watching. That on a cosmic level they are actually interfering for some reason. Now, is it a possibility that they make it so those in this “room” at liberty island don’t remember “peter” in an attempt to force them to solve the two universes being destroyed from an angle other then using a machine?
            Fringe is NOTHING if not willing to give us the same actors, with changed around characters, in different times even. I suggest we all wait and see.

• pwincess says:

I’m so embarrassed for you right now.

20. cris says:

awesome. ive grown to like his character.

21. Megan says:

Super excited. Love Lincoln Lee. I like our Lincoln Lee Clark Kentesqueness.

22. Dave says:

This is great news. More Lincoln in hopefully BOTH universes is a good thing.

Any news about Charlie/Kirk Acevedo?

23. Missy says:

I like him and glad to see he is there but i was really hoping for Charlie Francis played by Kirk. I was told that it depends on a tv series pick up if he will be back. What about Joshua Jackson as Peter..the Fanale is confusing..It looks like he might not be returning as Peter =( they are forgetting about him already after he vanished and doesn’t exist now.

24. Lisa says:

So happy! I love Lincoln on both sides and was hoping he’s be around permanently. Woo-hoo!

25. Cass says:

This makes me sooooo happy! Seth Gabel has been fantastic; I like both Lincoln Lees (and hope he can woo Fauxlivia). Now, if they’ll bring back Kirk Acevedo full-time (you gotta have the awesomeness of Charlie Francis, especially to work with Alt Lincoln Lee), and somehow bring Peter back into the sweet, rich relationships he has had with Walter and with Olivia, I’ll be satisfied.

26. Daniel says:

This is great news Lincoln/Seth was a great addition last season. And I disagree we wont see ‘our’ Lincoln. I suspect with Peter never existing that Lincoln would be similar to their Lincoln as well

27. Araceli says:

This alone is worth the s4 Fringe renewal.

28. Fernanda says:

Yes! I love love love Lee!
    But he deserves better, not that phony bi**h he’s in love with.

29. austin says:

Arms open and loving, check
    Excitement for Season 4, check
    Ausiello Fringe Scope, Love!

30. KARL says:

I much prefer Kirk as Charlie.

31. Rew12 says:

This is such bad news. These writers have treated Josh like crap all season long and now they HIRE SETH FREAKING GABEL? Wonderful, I guess Lincoln will replace Peter, on the show and in the fans hearts. Poor Josh, shafted for 3 years by Anna, John and seth.

• Rob says:

Oh, yes, poor Josh for getting great material for the past three seasons, being one of the most crucial characters on a much-loved cult series, and having steady acting work for which he’s well compensated. Poor Josh!

• Fre says:

I don’t get what is the problem.

Joshua WILL come back in season 4, producers confirm that.
      Seth joins the cast as series regular but he will not replace Joshua.

• Irishgirl says:

Christ….you need to calm down. Josh Jackson hasn’t been replaced and isn’t leaving. They’ve said that many times. And Peter has been central to the story/mythology for all three seasons. If you feel he’s been shafted for three years, then your blame lies on the writers and producers, not his fellow actors.

32. Annie says:

OMG OMG! Thank you, Fox! And thanks TVLine for the news!

33. Steven says:

Yes! I love his character, so dorky and funny….and his performance during the Fauxlivia birth scene was one of the best performances this season!

34. Lou says:

I am delighted with this news, Lincoln is one of my favourite characters on the show. I wonder if he will help Olivia out over here in absence of Peter? Obviously Peter will be back in the end but I do adore FBI Lincoln as well

35. Coco says:

Wonderful. Does this mean even less screentime for Nina now? Maybe Fringe should give more time to the characters who have been there since the beginning before adding another regular.

• Emily says:

Totally agree with this. I hope we don’t see less of Nina, Broyles and Astrid. Writers they are just as important as the others.

• RT says:

exactly my feelings. what about giving more screen time for Astrid, Broyles and Nina instead of promoting recurring actors to regular? way to go, Fringe. ¬¬

36. Ashley says:

Whooohooo! This partially makes up for the news of fox canceling chicago code. Okay doesn’t make up for it but helps ease the pain a little!

37. soc says:

Well I’m not very happy about this but I guess as long he stays away from “our” Olivia! Great now I’m going to be emo all summer. Sorry guys guess I’m not much of Lincoln fan.

• Aimee says:

Count me as one not exactly thrilled about this. I like Peter’s character, and if he doesn’t show up soon, I may lose interest. I like Walter, Olivia and Peter’s dynamic.

• soc says:

Glad I’m not the only one who feels this way. POLIVIA FTW!!

• Aimee says:

I do like Seth, and think that the Lincoln Lee character has potential. But the finale has left me wary. I missed Peter in the Over There episodes, but it was a good story. But I don’t want to see too many episodes without him. Sorry, but Fringe:”The Search for Peter” doesn’t interest me. Guess we’ll see.

• Ruthei says:

I agree. If Lincoln is supposed to replace Peter, I, too, am not happy about this. I want Peter back!

• Sarah says:

Yeah, I don’t really like Lincoln either and never did. And it’s not even to do with the whole romantic storyline. He just rubbed me the wrong way from the first episode he was in.

There’s something off about him to me. And it was pretty much confirmed with how he treated the Frank proposing to Alt-Livia news. Kind of a dick move dude.

Having said that, I prefer our version of Lincoln so maybe that will balance it out.

38. Michelle says:

Yes! This is great news!

39. Fringie6989 says:

YAY that is AWESOME news!!!! I love Lincoln!! Especially alt-Lincoln, but Lincoln over here has a place in my heart as well! AND this means that Fauxlivia can have her love interest (fingers crossed) so when Olivia finds Peter they can be one big happy family…I might be pushing it with that lol but YAY!!!!

40. brynna says:

So freaking awesome. I love that guy! Here’s hoping he and Alt Liv finally make a go of it.

41. Lore says:

That it is great news!!
    but i really really want Charlie Francis, but the thing is, if Linc can cross anytime, what will happen, he will fall in love with our Olivia or what?

42. Donna says:

I like Seth Gabel, but I really hope the writers don’t seriously believe that most fans care equally for the Other Side characters. It’s bad enough that they zapped Peter out of existence (and, by extension the Walter and Olivia that we knew). Please, I love the show and fought hard for its renewal, but I didn’t expect to be “rewarded” by having one of my favorite characters disappear. Bring Peter back, AND SOON.

43. Guess What says:

I guess I’m the only person who can’t stand Lincoln Lee. … I’d much prefer Charlie or “Alt Astrid” 2 Lincoln “Lovelorn” Lee. He’s such a pansy when it comes 2 Olivia. Also that thing where he can’t keep a secret got old quick. Didn’t he tell her fiance she was pregnant when he wasn’t suppose to?

• m says:

Trust me your not the only one. I feel the same way.

• Irishgirl says:

No, her fiance discovered that information himself in the ambulance. Lincoln spilled the beans that Frank was going to propose to Fauxlivia.

• D says:

You’re definitely not the only one. I found Over There’s Lee to be a shallow, boring, immature character, and utterly unattractive. I liked the Over Here version slightly better, but I find Seth Gabel bland as an actor. I was hoping we’d seen the end of the Red-Verse, but it seems not, and I’m disappointed.

• Sandra says:

Yeah me either. I never liked Lincoln. More Alt-Charlie and Alt-Astrid would be WAY better.

He told Altlivia that Frank was proposing to her. I thought that was dodgy and manipulative.

44. Elvis G says:

Sorry to nit pick, But isn’t the “over there” Olivia names Faux-Livia and not Bolivia? Fuax as in the fake one.

• Irishgirl says:

Fans created the Fauxlivia moniker. The actors and writers called her Bolivia….as in Olivia B….but then adopted the fan moniker in an episode as it became more prevalent in reviews and interviews.

45. Pam says:

Open and Loving Arms here.

46. Brandon says:

This is wonderful news, he’s the only character from Over There that I like.

• Judy Burton says:

Brandon, no offense,but all the characters “over there” are pretty much the same as over here…LOL!

47. Kaibosh says:

There is a sad almost tragic quality to the character. Props to Seth Gabel for his sensitive portrayal of Lincoln. Further to this… I suspect that with Peter having been erased from history, Lincoln will somehow fit in as a romance interest for either one or both Olivias in both worlds. But I fear his character is destined for some kind of tragic end and/or twist because obviously there will be a need to search for Peter. There will be persistent clues that will compel Olivia (either or both of them) to search for him. Such as reference to Peter in the first peoples book or the drawing of Peter in the machine will mysteriously appear. Or the drawing of Peter and Olivia in the field of tulips. The question will persist early by everyone; who is Peter? The search and subsequent recovery of Peter will bring Olivia back with him eventually and this will lead to Lincoln’s tragic end in some way. Really I’m just guessing but I can the writers going in that direction.

• Donna says:

Interesting idea. I wouldn’t mind seeing that.

• S.H says:

That’s very interesting. But as long he doesn’t fall for “our” Olivia, because then I would be heartbroken. I can’t wait to see how they’re going to bring Peter back! Maybe they should pair Lincoln with Astrid, girl needs some action.

48. Stacey says:

Wonderful news! Yet one more reason to look forward to the new season. Can’t wait.

49. emy26 says:

awesome! i love his character, lincoln is so sweet, he and fauxlivia are so meant to be!! and let’s face it seth gabel is hot!

50. Erin says:

So thrilled to hear this!