Daytime Emmy Awards: Ellen, General Hospital Lead Nominations

Nominations for the 38th annual Daytime Emmy Awards, to air June 19 on CBS, were announced on Wednesday, and The Ellen DeGeneres Show came away as the most acknowledged talker, while General Hospital edged out The Young and the Restless as far as soap opera nods go.

Who exactly got nominated for what? Well….

All told, GH collected 21 nominations, including bids for Outstanding Drama Series, Lead Actor/2003 winner Maurice Benard (“Sonny”) and Lead Actress Laura Wright (“Carly”).

Representing GH in the supporting races are Jonathan Jackson (“Lucky,” a three-time winner in the Young Actor category), Jason Thompson (“Patrick”) and Nancy Lee Grahn (“Alexis,” who last grabbed gold in ’89 as Santa Barbara‘s Julia). Lexi Ainsworth (“Kristina”) and Chad Duell (“Michael”) placed in the younger categories.

Y&R was close behind GH with 20 total nominations, including Outstanding Drama, Lead Actor/three-time winner Christian Le Blanc (“Michael”) and Lead Actress/two-time Emmy winner Michelle Stafford (“Phyllis”). Also up for Emmys are supporting stars Tricia Cast (“Nina,” who last nod/win came in ’92, for Younger Actress), Doug Davidson (“Paul,” a nominee last year) and Billy Miller (“Billy”). Emily O’Brien (“Jana”) will compete for Outstanding Younger Actress.

Recently canceled All My Children netted 13 nods (including lead contenders Alicia “Kendall” Minshew, Debbi “Angie” Morgan and Ricky Paull “Jake” Goldin), while the also-axed One Life to Live‘s dozen nominations include supporting bids for Bree Williamson (“Jessica” et al) and Brian Kerwin (“Charlie”).

(For a complete list of soap opera nominations, check in with our good friends at Soaps In Depth.)

As for The Ellen DeGeneres Show, its 12 nominations include Outstanding Talk Show (where it’s up against Regis & Kelly, Rachael Ray and The View), direction, set design, and makeup. Ellen doesn’t submit herself for the hosting category, so Dr. Oz, Regis & Kelly, Rachael Ray, The Doctors and the ladies of The View will compete in the Outstanding Talk Show Host race.

A list of nominations for every single Daytime Emmy category can be found at the award show’s website, EmmyOnline.tv.

1. Tavis says:

Go Tricia Cast! I am so excited she got a Supporting Actress nod!!

2. Cari says:

No Steve Burton or Rebecca Herbst? I guess maybe the story with their son came after their bids were due. They (along with Jonathan Jackson) were fantastic in those episodes.

3. magreeda says:

The fact that GH and AMC are nominated for Outstanding Daytime Drama Series and OLTL isn’t says a lot about how out of touch these nominations are. OLTL is by far the best of the three ABC soaps and definitely the one that shouldn’t be axed.

I guess it doesn’t matter that it’s a farce since soaps will be all but gone this time next year.

• Jessiekins says:

My sentiments exactly. A joke, and a disgrace. Ausiello, etc.- where are the mainstream entertainment media with regard to ABC’s actions? Why does NOBODY CARE about a genre that is STILL VITAL, still a successful prime time storytelling model, and a genre feeding literally dozens of young actors into nighttime and features? Sarah Michelle Gellar, Michelle Trachtenberg, Hayden Panetierre, Amanda Seyfried, Vanessa Marcil, Josh Duhamel, not to mention Oscar winners Melissa Leo and Marisa Tomei, nominee Julianne Moore…I mean, seriously, do we have to go through this every single time? Where are you guys?

4. maggie says:

GH is the weakest of the ABC soaps, and maybe of all soaps. The fact that it got nominated for best Drama is a joke. OLTL should be nominated instead of GH.

I would also liked to have seen DOOL nominated for Best Drama. When are they finally going to nominate Allison Sweeney as Best Actress?

• mirvin365 says:

My understanding is that nominations are based on a few submitted spisodes from the entire year that the network/producers choose. It can all hinge upon what they decide to send to the voters – and sometimes they don’t always pick the best stuff. GH’s prison abuse storyline with Michael was ground-breaking and risky – they have to receive recognition for that. They didn’t pull any punches but it was still done so well (in my opinion). My only complaint is that Steve Burton was not recognized for the central role he played in that story (but again – could totally be based on the episode he submitted).

5. Eve says:

I don’t watch GH but YAYAYAYAYAYA for Nancy Lee Grahn!
    I still watch Santa Barbara Julia clips on Youtube. She’s amazing !

6. Elizabeth says:

Soooo excited for JJ!! I’m assuming he sent in the episode from last January when Lucky lashed out at Nicholas and Liz. I was so mad that since the episode was in January he couldn’t be nominated last year. Sorry to the other best supporting actor noms, but if JJ doesn’t win – I’ll be completely shocked.

7. Amanda says:

Hey, Matt, can you tell us what date range these noms cover? Thanks.

Jonathan Jackson against Brian Kerwin is hard, but Jackson had much better material and more screen time than Kerwin.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I *believe* it’s the 2010 calendar year, and a quick Googling seems to confirm that. But I’ve been out of the soaps game for a while, could be wrong.

8. Dave says:

Doug Davidson was last nominated in 2010. I know because I helped pick his Emma reel.

9. Sia says:

I really want to say Chad Duell (Michael, GH) is a sure win because his performance last year was outstanding–even more outstanding this year.

• Dominique says:

there’s no such thing as a sure win. Last year, everyone was sure Drew Garrett was gonna win, and instead, another actor who didn’t even come close to Drew, won.

10. Dominique says:

I’m sore happy with all the nominations GH got. GH as a soap isn’t always strong, but it sure has the best cast in daytime, and for once in a very long time, all the RIGHT actors/actresses have been nominated.

11. Debbie M says:

Jonathan Jackson and Chad Duell knocked it out of the park this year. Don’t the actors have to put themselves up for submission for the awards? I think some of them choose not to do that because Tony Geary would have another slam-dunk if he was nominated.

12. John Berggren says:

The only fathomable reason to snub Ellen is because she’s already won the award before.

13. Rachel says:

I can’t believe they didn’t nominate Ellen for best host! She’s amazing!!

14. scarlettbama says:

Susan Lucci not even NOMINATED ??????? Ya kidding me? Still enraged ABC cancelled AMC. News is … Katie Couric offered AMC slot for daytime talk show. PLEASE ~ NEVER, EVER WOULD I WATCH HER, esp. in AMC’s place.

15. Jules says:

Ellen was not snubbed from the host category, she took herself out starting last year after having won four years straight a la Oprah. ;)

16. janie says:

No love for As the World turns?? There were so many great storylines! anyone remember barbara talking to the clown while trapped in the paper party outlet storage? So many good storylines with excellent acting!!

17. Mara says:

I’m excited for the Daytime Emmys! Did you know that Smile Train will have a featured spot this year to showcase some work they did with Dean Cain, Erik Estrada and Tatyana Ali? It should be interesting to see what they were doing in Mexico.