Exclusive

Criminal Minds Scoop: Shemar Moore Re-Signs

After lengthy negotiations, Criminal Minds co-star Shemar Moore has closed a deal to return to the CBS crime drama next season.

I hear Moore will be doubling his salary to about $100,000 an episode, up from just north of $50,000 under his old agreement. With Moore set, Thomas Gibson is the only remaining cast member without a contract to return. His negotiations are ongoing.

For more details on this story, head over to TVLine’s sister site Deadline.com.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Contract Talks, Exclusive, News, Scoop

1. Elizabeth says:

No show without Hotch! Here’s hoping that Thomas Gibson and CBS can come to an agreement soon.

((It would be great if Paget returned as well… the team back together again… but I’m not holding my breath.))

• Alicia says:

I really hope he signs as well. It would be sad if Prentiss returned and Hotch wasn’t there anymore. I need them to be “together.”

• Rowan says:

The only way to get Paget back is for her comedy pilot to not get picked up (and she would have to want to come back after the disrespect she and AJ got last summer from the studio.) I want her to be happy, but selfishly want her back on Criminal Minds, too.

I have no doubt they will come to an agreement with Thomas Gibson. He’s worth it and the show is a hit.

2. Danielle says:

Nice wordplay. Almost got nervous, thought this said resigns!

3. Dominique says:

Yay, nother one back for another season!
    Although mind you; CM is NOTHING without Hotch, so they better do whatever they can to make sure Gibson signs onfor another season.

4. S says:

Yes! Come on Thomas Gibson, sign already! Criminal Minds would be ruined without Hotch!

5. Brandon Rowe says:

At first when I read this I thought it said resigns(as in quits) and I was like WTF what is wrong with the cast of Criminal Minds!?! lol happy he’ll be back next year.

6. CM says:

It’s like I’ve been saying, Thomas won’t sign a new contract until he knows if Paget will go back to the show or not.
    But WITHOUT HOTCH THERE IS NO CRIMINAL MINDS!
    Morgan is the ONLY character I wouldn’t mind to see DIE, I couldn’t care less if Shemar’s contract was not renewed. I guess I’m not that lucky!

• hmm says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who has been wondering if Paget news was influencing TG’s reluctance to re-sign.

• D says:

You are definetly not the only one thinking that. I just hope he still signs his new contract even if she doesn’t come back. Hotch is the main character, it’s going to be weird to see him gone.

• amy says:

Seriously, what is your issue? Nothing but a racist pig I bet. I would hate to see any of the characters killed off.

• CM says:

I am NOT RACIST and I have NOTHING against Shemar Moore, I just can’t stand Morgan and his hero complex.

• C says:

Right, like Hotch doesn’t have a hero complex himself.

• Sara says:

Shemar Moore is a great guy and he is great for the show – Criminal minds. and yeah Hotch is a hereo and him and morgan are peoples favorites on the show. Yes hotch does have a hereo complex himself just like morgan. so don’t you people be dislikeing my main men “Hotch and Morgan!”. Their Awesome..

• Alicia says:

Agreed. I like Shemar, but Morgan’s self-righteousness and holier-than-thou attitude are grating. The last straw was when he basically told Prentiss that he forgave her for being a whore while she was dying. First, WTF??? Get off your moral high horse. Second, she’s dying–why are you making this about you?? Just STOP.

• CM says:

I think you have the other half of my brain. :) I hated that scene when Emily was dying, Lauren was a great episode and that scene just ruined it. That scene would have been perfect if it was Hotch there with Prentiss, holding her hand.

• Alicia says:

^^^YES. It should have been Hotch with her, at least he would have been legitimately sympathetic and upset. Also it would’ve had some poignant symmetry considering she was there for him after he was stabbed by Foyet. Oh well, they can “make up for it” next season when Prentiss rejoin the team. *fingers crossed*

• Morgan > Hotch says:

Oh please… He never called her a whore. Stop making up stories.

He was reacting to her not being on the up and up with him while the entire time, both of their lives were in danger. He reacted like a jealous boyfriend when she disappeared, and then re-thought about how he acted, which is what prompted the end scene where he was holding her hand when he found her.

Hotch and Prentiss? Jesus, I think I’m gonna puke.

Morgan > Hotch, a friggen million times over.

• amy says:

Oh ok… Like you are perfect. You sound just as stuck up. It is a character on a show. Seriously, you sound like a real gem, wishing for people to die. Fictional character or not.

• CM says:

Why can’t I wish Morgan’s death when so many people whished Prentiss’ death? I can think and do whatever I want and NO ONE has NOTHING to do with that.

• mariya says:

I only wish the Seaver´s death.

• Key says:

Glad to see shemar back.I would not have watched it without him. His chemistry with Garcia is very unique and part of what makes the show..they add a little light to all the darkness. I hope Hotch also comes back because as leader of the team he world be greatly missed. Both of the characters are irreplaceable, but shemar was why I first paid attention ro this show, so without him I would not watch it anymore. He definitely had the most charisma of all the characters.

7. Amy says:

YEAH! The show would not be the same without Morgan and the dynamic between Morgan and Garcia. Those two crack me up.

8. Corinne says:

So happy to hear this. I couldn’t handle seeing Garcia heartbroken without her man around.

9. Allie says:

I am so happy about this! Without Morgan and Garcia flirting, this show would be far too dark. Finally, CBS did the right thing; I think he’s worth every penny.

10. Ashley says:

Hooray! Now I’ll be crossing my fingers that Thomas Gibson re-signs too and holding my breath until we find out if Paget Brewster’s pilot gets picked up. Here’s hoping we get the pre-season 6 team back in season 7…

11. Tiffany says:

This is a good start, but I’m not back for next season until Thomas has a new contract, too. I don’t know that I buy the idea that he’s waiting to hear about Paget’s status, but I suppose it makes a certain amount of sense if he wants to make sure she really is offered her contract if her NBC pilot isn’t picked up.

12. Aiden says:

Two great news today! THIS and the Chuck renewal. Now just give me the Thomas Gibson re-signing confirmation and everything will be peachy in TV land.

13. Sandra says:

Thomas and Matthew make this show for me, I hope Thomas signs and great news about Shemar x

14. BallisticsGirl says:

I’ve been nervous all season about Shemar not signing so when my friend text’d me about this link I was all over it. Many fans and I have been impatiently waiting for any news after the rumors went crazy saying that there was a good chance three of the original cast wouldn’t come back.

While the show isn’t the same with Paget, its going to take a lot of getting used to if she doesn’t come back. As for weather Thomas re-ups I have to admit that I’m not against him taking over Strauss position permanently. I’m well aware that would mean less “Hotch” and more of the other characters but I think Jack needs that myself.

Anyway hearing that Shemar not only re-signed but got a considerable raise my season! Now I’m no longer sweating season 7!

Thanks for the info!

15. Renee says:

OK I’ll be shallow since nobody else is…he’s so pretty.

16. Idiot Morgan Haters says:

YES! This was the most important news. Now Criminal Minds won’t die.

I don’t give a crap about Gibson signing or not. I can’t stand Hotch and his holier than thou hero complex.

The Morgan haters sound like real morons, making up stories in order to hate him.

Without Derek Morgan, there is no Criminal Minds. I’m glad CBS came to that realization, and his deal came first, because they can’t afford to lose him and his awesomeness.

• Kimber says:

and you sound so smart and reasonable. *rolls eyes*

Look, Morgan did not literally call her a whore but it was quite obvious he was being judgemental of her actions. My CM watching friends all remarked how odd it was that when Morgan learns his good friend is in terrible danger and gave up all she had so she could protect the team all he could do was critize her actions and get all huffy and mad. Personally, I think he was just mad that somebody else got to “hit that” and he didn’t.

• okcdawn says:

i think maybe they were trying to express that he was a bit jealous and his feelings were hurt that she didn’t tell him the whole truth, much as any “macho” man like him would have reacted. i liked their relationship, and besides the Seaver character i think the show would have a huge hole if any of the other regular cast members left. hope prentiss comes back and pyched about J.J.’s return!

• Emily says:

LOL!! Now, I love Morgan, don’t get me wrong….but not many people could keep a team together like Hotch does. That’s why he comes across that way……he has to…..to do his job right. Then we see that at home, he is NOTHING like that. He’s a very down to earth man, husband and father.

17. teniba says:

all the actors have contracts for next year? but i thought Rachel Nichols will be saying goodbye, since the blonde she was replacing is coming back and having 2 blondes on the series isn’t really possible so i’ve been told… Unless Nichols is not considered an actress in that case it makes sense LOL just kidding i love Nichols and i hope they keep her on the show despite some fans being outraged that a rookie caracter could be part of that team!

• BT says:

I’ve noticed a lot of the support for the character of Ashley Seaver stems from a love of the actress, not liking the character on her own terms. As someone who is completely neutral about Rachel Nichols, I wish the actress good luck in her future projects, but I hope Seaver is GONE next season. That character is a placeholder, saying JJ and Prentiss’ lines and doing what they would do, only not saying and doing it convincingly – no personality and dead weight.

I’m so happy Shemar Moore re-signed. The show needs him almost as much as it needs Thomas Gibson. Hopefully we’ll be hearing about TG re-signing any day now!

• Cari says:

She doesn’t have to be a placeholder though, especially now that JJ (and hopefully Emily) is back. They introduced an interesting backstory for her, and Reid’s getting too grown up to be the baby of the group now. I think I’ll like Seaver’s character a lot more once I stop comparing her to JJ and Emily. Also, I think the writers will be free to give her a unique personality now that they don’t feel she has to be the stand-in for them. I want her to stick around for awhile, just to see what they can do with her character.

• BT says:

But why do team of elite FBI agents need a “baby” just for the sake of having one (Reid was always more than just the “baby”)? They blew Seaver’s interesting backstory by basically playing it out in her first episode and she’s stuck around long enough for us to see what they can do with her character – nothing. JJ’s coming back and hopefully Emily is too, so why should this character who hasn’t made a very good impression throughout about a dozen episodes stick around in the hopes people will start liking her?

• teniba says:

I am not supporting her and you are not answering my original question… I hate it when people distract me with their pseudo analysis of a tv show, like they’re some kind of experts!

• BT says:

Forgive me for interpreting you saying “…i love Nichols and i hope they keep her on the show despite some fans being outraged that a rookie caracter could be part of that team!” as support for the character Nichols plays on the show you hope they keep her on. My pseudo analysis is obviously completely off and you were able to see through my fiendish plot to distract you.

Seriously, I don’t think anyone knows if Nichols will come back for season 7 yet. The network and showrunners are probably seeing how the whole Thomas Gibson and Paget Brewster situations will play out before they can figure out what to do with her.

18. hello says:

Fantastic news, keep em coming

19. Jamie says:

Ah yes, let’s fire the two women on the show because of money problems but then turn around and double the salary of one of the men. Gee CBS, that’s not sexist at all.

20. cm0305 says:

Well, I for one am thrilled that Shemar signed the contract! I wouldn’t even bother watching if he wasn’t on it. He plays such a great character. Regardless of those that think he’s self-righteous, I think you’re barking up the wrong tree….shounds like shamar jealousy to me. They all play such an integral part of the team and it would be great to see all (or at least most) of them get back together.

21. Melissa says:

I’m so glad he’s coming back. The show would not work without Morgan and Garcia and their banter. Now we just need Thomas Gibson, because this show does not work without Hotch!!

22. Elle says:

So glad to hear the news. Really hope Thomas Gibson returns as well.

It would be wonderful to have Prentiss back with JJ and the whole team. I have really missed that whole team dynamic this season. They each have a role to play and the teams just “fits” together.

23. Benny says:

He’s gonna sign.
    No way they don’t make him an offer he can’t refuse.
    No CM without Hotch.

24. phil says:

Has CM even been picked up for next season? I don’t see anywhere on the web that they have an official pickup. We may be getting ahead of ourselves here.

• kate says:

Not yet. They’re probably waiting for Gibson’s decision to announce of they will renew the show or not.

• Becky says:

I doubt it. I personally wouldn’t want a CM without Hotch but I don’t see CBS giving up on this show if they lost Gibson. CBS hasn’t announced a renewal because there isn’t any need to. Everybody knows it’s a done deal.

25. LDSK says:

There has been no official announcement but that doesn’t mean anything. Many networks wait until the upfronts in May to make it official. CM is a top performer for CBS which brings in good ratings despite going up against American Idol. There is no way on this Earth that CBS does not renew it.

26. Adam says:

I have to admit that it seems kind of fishy that CBS was complaining about show cost earlier this year and now they are giving their actors a big raise. Hummm….

Still, I’m glad that Shemar is coming back and hopefully Gibson too. (I’m betting he will). This is nothing but good news for the show which has been through a lot this season.

27. Amiee says:

CM fans have had to suffer through enough controversy this year. Let’s all enjoy the good news that is finally coming our way and be happy!!!

28. Kisha says:

I think that the Seaver character is getting a bad deal b/c the writers haven’t used her character to make the show fresh again. Her character could have been used to give the viewers a fresh perspective of the BAU from a rookie’s point of view…someone that isn’t a pro, that isn’t used to the tragedy and gore that are secondhand to the team. It would have been interesting to see this character grow into someone worthy of a spot on the BAU and not someone that’s just been implanted there robotically, ready to hit the ground running.

29. Kayla says:

I honestly didn’t care if shemar got signed again. I don’t really like Morgan because of his hero complex. He thinks he’s like fricken Jesus. Nothing against shemar. And I hated how he was all over Prentiss in Lauren bc she was doing her job to get a profile. And then was all like trying to make up for it as she was dying. I want Paget back! Emily Prentiss was and still is my fav character. The shows like so boring and awkward and odd without her. Seaver needs to go home. And if Tomas Gibson is not resigned honestly the show is over. Plus I was Prentiss and Hotch “together”:)

30. Jon says:

That headline is misleading, please change it. If you scan it, it easy to mistake that Moore Resigns, rather then re-signs.

Thought all the cool lingo was ‘re-ups’ or ‘signs on for season x’

I’m sure it’s been said, but I don’t want to crawl through comments.

31. emily luver says:

who ever says that someone on CM shouldnt be on the show, your just a hater.I think all the cast should stay on the show and Prentiss and JJ should come back. i also think that gidean and Elle should come back just 4 a couple episodes. i luved Elle when she was on the show.it would make a perfect season 7 begging.

STOP BEING HATERS & STOP CRITISIZEING PEOPLE WHO ARE ON THE SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. Lesley says:

It makes you dizzy the way the cast is changing from week to week. I miss Gideon. It’s too bad that money rules. The cast was great with Prentiss, JJ, Morgan, Garcia,Reid,Hotch, Elle. I haven’t really seen any shows with the new girl. Why mess with perfection? Oh I forgot, money rules. Of course there’s always the fact that maybe the actors want to move on and get tired of playing the same characters season after season. Regardless I am sure I will still be a huge fan of Criminal Minds, the only show I really look forward to watching.

33. Caitlin says:

Shemar Moore is my favorite cast member!! When I heard that he had not yet signed for next season I was nervous!!! The show would not be the same without him!! I am so pumped that he will be returning next season!!! He is so SEXY!! I sure hope that Thomas Gibson signs as well!!! I would love to see all of them back again!! They make a great team and should not be split up!!! Last year the same thing happened with my other favorite crime show NCIS I read that Michael Weatherly’s contacted had ended and I was praying he would come back because he is my favorite from the show, when I read he did I was so pumped!! (:

34. AJ says:

Well that’s good news I like Morgan, he may be the hero type but I don’t see it as a bad thing, he obviously has what it takes to lead the BAU and he knows his stuff. I like the current cast, including JJ (YAY!), I just wish Seaver’s back story could be explored more. People need to realize that FBI teams are not together forever, people leave and people die and to make the show even close to real it has to happen every once in a while. They could have brought in an agent from another department with the same back story though, I bet it would’ve gone over better. If it were up to me, I would have brought back Jordan, she fit the team, she had years of experience and she cared enough that sometimes it affected her. As far as the money goes… it’s because they don’t have to pay the CMSB cast anymore, that’s part of the reason AJC was brought back so quick… FW’s pay alone will cover SM’s raise and maybe one for someone else. CMSB sucked the bank dry just on salary’s. Hopefully they will stick to 1 show and if they do decide for another spin-off, it will be someone from the core team moving on in the world. From the looks of it TG will be getting promoted (Strauss will be out for a while) and I think that JJ might be in a different position than her last 1.

35. sxdavey says:

Seriously… it’s a TV show… and you’re arguing over characters. Characters acted out by people who are just following a script. So if anyone goes for poor characters, it should be the writers. They could simply write an episode that put a character with a hero complex through a seriously humbling experience, and change the character’s disposition that way. I think you’ll see that in the return of JJ… except in reverse. I think that character will finally have a spine.

36. trana says:

$100,000 is not match with what the current tv stars are getting paid for. Peanuts ..

37. Justin says:

GREAT! My favorite character is back!

38. van says:

Do he got a brother that’s in seattle and works at cleveland high school in seattle wa I wanna no

39. van says: