Idol's Best Performance Tourney Pits Carrie Against Allison! Melinda Vs. J.Hud!

It’s the ciiiiiirrrrrrrcle of liiiiiiife! Yes, folks, as one player advances in’s American Idol All-Time Greatest Performance Bracket Tournament, another one is left for dead in a ditch (metaphorically speaking). And today, the brutal choices in front of you could make you want to crawl under the couch and turn to dust. Melinda vs. J.Hud? Allison vs. Carrie? It’s not right, and it’s not okay, but it’s the only way we can narrow our single-elimination, 64-player tourney down to eight quarterfinalists. (For the uninitiated, every day around 1:00 p.m. ET over the next few weeks, we’ll launch a new set of duels to the death, so be sure to keep coming back and making sure your favorites advance.)

Kris Allen Vs. Chris Daughtry! Clay Vs. Archie! Vote Now for Idol’s Best Performance!

Before you head to the polls, you may want to peruse these memory-refreshing links to the performances entering the ring this afternoon:

Performance Links!
Melinda Doolittle, “My Funny Valentine
Jennifer Hudson, “Circle of Life
Allison Iraheta, “Cry Baby” (Exit Performance)
Carrie Underwood, ”Alone

It’s gonna be brutal seeing two of those great Idol moments cut down before their time, no? So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Voting will be open for 48 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

And if you’re interested in the matchups we’ve got planned for the coming weeks and how the early rounds of matchups played out, click here to check out the entire 64-player bracket (then click again for a zoomed in view), and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

Loading video...
Loading video...
Loading video...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. t.t says:

so tough!
    I love carrie but Allison gets my vote. and Jennifer Hudson obviously gets my vote! tough vote though. Oh Slezak whatever will you do if its melinda vs allison next?

• ryan says:

Carrie’s performance of Alone is a master class vocal. Allison whatever her name is– is not even in the same league. Why on earth are people voting for Alison over Carrie? Unbelievable.

• selena says:

Carrie losing. That is a joke!

• liz says:

i think there was something wrong with the poll – everytime I looked at the results they were exactly the same, even after I voted…

2. tuppy says:

Now that Katharine McPhee’s “Over the Rainbow” is INEXPLICABLY out (best performance of ALL TIME!), I’m backing Allison’s “Cry Baby” — I love Archie’s “Imagine” and Kris’s “Heartless,” but no performance was as wrenching, appropriate to the moment, and perfectly sung (yes, vocally AND “emotionally perfect”) as Allison’s exit. ALLISON FTW.

3. Cy says:

Go, Allison!!! GO, GO, GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• JBanana says:

ALLISON!! ALLISON!! No contest for me, frankly. Yes, I know Carrie is the most sucessful Idol superstar, etc. etc,.. but Allison is a better singer. BY FAR!!

• Sharon says:

CARRIE UNDERWOOD is the BEST singer..BY FAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Anita says:

Are you serious nobody can top Allison Iraheta emotions when she sings and she is much younger and better singer as simple as that

• Bryan says:

Allison WHO? Never even heard of this girl. Does she even have a song on the radio or a record deal? lmao

Carrie’s performance of Alone was EPIC good and blew this no-name chick out of the water. It is not even a contest. Carrie’s version is the best idol performance of all time. Period.

• Haley says:

LMAO at these Allison fans trying to say she is better then Carrie! What a joke! Are you freakin’ kidding me? Carrie Underwood is the best singer to ever come out of American Idol– and she literally sings circles around Allison. Wow. Unbelievable.

4. Chris says:

I went with Melinda and Carrie. As much as I adore Jennifer Hudson, I think Melinda’s is the one to beat.

• Evan says:

In theory, Melinda should wipe the floor with most of these. That is a vocally flawless performance. I do wonder, however, if “My Funny Valentine” is too old-school a song for this contest.

I sure hope not.

5. billybib says:

Allison for the win. Archie for the guys.
    Archie v. Allison??can’t think of 2 different types of singers. Both my favorites of their seasons and YES!!!They were both 16 at the time of their Idol.

6. Suzanne says:

Allison over Carrie is ridiculous, and I’m not even a Carrie fan.

• ramydam says:

overall, viewing their careers and body of work, or even entire runs on Idol, I’d agree with you.
      But in that performance, Allison’s ability to channel so much emotion so tightly simply blows me away every time. Carrie’s vocal is amazing, but not a performance that re-surprises me every time I see it.

7. Koolkat says:

Allison killed that performance! She’s Amazing!

8. Karrie says:

I hated Carrie while she was on AI but absolutely love her now. It is the opposite with Allison now although I still like her, she just needed some better music that wasn’t just geared towards teens.

• RoqueMocan says:

If you have only heard Friday I’ll be Over You from Allison, you should hear the entire CD. It is Pop, but very good Pop (I like Scars, Don’t Waste the Pretty, Trouble Is, Holiday, Still Breathing, Pieces, No One Else, You Don’t Know Me, Just Like You) <– Totally worth the CD!

9. JVC says:

I’m surprised allison is inching ahead of carrie. And i voted dolittle over hudson. But this only going to get tougher once we get to round 4.

10. Brecken P says:

Melinda Doolittle’s “My Funny Valentine” is one of the greatest performances ever to grace the Idol stage. “Circle of Life” is up there, for sure, and I voted for it both times through, but Mindy Doo turned in a masterpiece there. It’s gonna be brutal if it moves past this round and faces up against Fantasia’s “Summertime.” Those two, along with Clarkson’s “Stuff Like That There,” Sparks’ “I (Who Have Nothing),” and Bowersox’s “People Get Ready” are my favorite Idol performances ever by female contestants.

Carrie vs. Allison was practically a coin flip for me in terms of performance quality, but I voted for Carrie out of principle–I don’t think it’s quite fair comparing exit performances to those actually performed in the competition. I would have taken Allison’s “Alone” over Carrie’s, though, as it has more of an edge, which I like.

• Anita says:

Allison is way superior in or out of competition even considering Carrie being 10 years older and her mileage

11. dejo says:

I can’t help but think that someone else picked Haley’s song in round one. What better way to throw her under the bus…

12. jason says:

slezak!! alone vs. cry baby? too hard. ridiculous. i hate to vote against your true love. but gotta go with carrie.

p.s. randy jackson is a douche. a dirty one.

13. Sean D says:

Ahhhh toughest one so far by a large amount. But, it has to be Melinda and Allison at the end of the day. I respect JHud and Carrie completely, but my heart says Melinda and Allison is the way to go.

14. Antonio says:

I like carrie but with any of these cry baby or alone I pick Allison carrie is very succesfull but the rocker is superior GO ROCKER

• Trisha says:

Are you people smoking something? How can you even seriously say Alison is better then Carrie, on any song, much less Carrie’s best performance of her career– which was Alone. That performance won Carrie american Idol- period. I think allison is decent but she is not even in the same league as Carrie. And I have never even heard of Allison since American Idol. Is she even a recording artist? She has gone nowhere. Carrie all the way

• RoqueMocan says:

You should hear Allison’s CD “Just Like You”. Bad marketing, so not many people have heard of it. Even though not a commercial success, it is full of very enjoyable songs. Give it a spin sometime!

15. Emily m says:

allison vs. carrie? thats not qiustinable, carrie may be more populer but allison can sing her guts out, allison by far

16. whootowl says:

AL LEE SOWN !!
    AL LEE SOWN !!!

Turn up the Iraheta.

17. iraheta love says:

so much iraheta love in the comments… did any of you buy her album?
    (fwiw i did)

• Koolkat says:

Yes! I did as well the very 1st day it came out! And I hardly ever buy albums, so thats saying something.. It’s burned out from all the times I’ve played it by now, I need new Allison music! Cannot wait to buy her next album!

• RoqueMocan says:

I did buy Allison’s CD too! Totally worth it!

• RoqueMocan says:

(… and also, a very underappreciated album… if more people had the chance to hear it, it would spawn many chart hitters)

• fenix says:

Yes I did I get 4 gave away 3 and I couldnot find any more at the stores

18. Jake says:

I love Allison, but Carrie gets my vote.

If I had to pick, I’d say it’s probably my all time favorite AI performance.

19. ramification says:

So tough, I love all four performances. I voted for Melinda because of the choices she makes in the song, her phrasing, everything about it is so spot on. It took me somewhere else completely. Alison v Carrie was even tougher, I went for Alison

20. pious0907 says:

Go ALLISON!!! Allison have the tough and strong voice and she can sing any genre.

21. Ray says:

CARRIE UNDERWOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. Evan says:

We talk about “Idol Moments.” Allison sang amazingly well, but Carrie’s “Alone” was a star-making performance. It was easily the best of its season and it’s where the judge’s pimping of Carrie got actual legitimacy. I’d actually say it was the first time in my AI viewing where I said at the time, “That was a special performance.” (I didn’t see “Stuff Like That There” until later).

Coincidentally, Allison’s star-making performance would also be “Alone.” I think Allison gets a little too much credit for “Cry Baby” because it’s compared to mostly ‘phoning it in’ post-elimination performances. I’d have preferred the battle of the “Alone”s.

23. dy77 says:

I’ve often thought if only Allison had waited until S9. She would have owned that year. But then we would have no Kradison. In any event, Allison’s exit was touching and if you followed that season, a really pivotal storyline moment (notice Gokey’s smug look vs. Kris and Adam obviously sad).

• RoqueMocan says:

Kradison is one of the best friendships – Kris deadpan humor, Adam brotherliness and Allison mischievoness. A reason why Season 8 was special. And it wasn’t only them, but all of the group, Matt, Anoop, Lil, Megan, Scott, Michael, Alexis, maybe even Danny – all friends and interesting people. Even the comic fodder was inspired: Tatiana, Nick Mitchell…

• Evan says:

Leave out Scott and Michael and recognize Danny as a semi-villain (sorry, Gokey fans) and I’d agree with you.

And yes- the fodder was epic. I’m so glad they allowed us that Norman Gentle performance rather than stringing him along like Crazy Dave or someone similar and then dashing our hopes at the end of Hollywood.

24. Paul says:

“My Funny Valentine” is probably one of the best if not THE best vocal performance ever delivered on Idol! Melinda Doolittle is flawless!

The Carrie/Allison matchup was hard as heck.

25. teri says:

REALLY CARRIE vs. Allison??? I didn’t even know who Allison was until I saw her picture. This is crazy! There is no comparison.
    CARRIE TAKES IT ALL. She is IDOL’s #1!!!!! Who is Melinda??? Jennifer is fantastic!!!! Who paired these singers up?? It’s just crazy!

• RoqueMocan says:

Get to know Allison as well – another über talented singer coming from American Idol, just like Carrie

26. lacey says:

I liked Allison’s Cry Baby performance but I’m shocked that she’s currently beating Carrie. Not only is Carrie extremely talented and successful but her performance of Alone is incredible. I honestly thought in the end it would be Kelly vs. Carrie.

27. Alleycat says:

Carrie Underwood blew Alison out of the water on Alone. what are you voters even tninking????

• RoqueMocan says:

We think with our hearts. Allison is full of heart!

• Anita says:

No wayyyy Carrie shows 0 emotion when she sings the Rock Goddess is just superior and her smoky beautifull voice ahhhh

• Mari says:

We’re not thinking, we are feeling and singing is so much more than hitting notes. No offense to Carie of course, it’s just personal taste.

28. Salvador says:

Now that I see what the judges are doing to haley I give 1000% credit to Allison Iraheta. if we compare what nasty dog simon did to Allison they are not that evil

29. David says:

Allison V Carrie it was like operation desert storm but Allison I raheta’s “alone” V Melinda is STARS WAR. GO Allison

30. Kyle says:

Allison vs. Carrie… What a joke, Carrie wins it hands down! for everyone saying Allison can outsing Carrie, you need to have your ears checked! you may like her more but she definatley cannot outsing Carrie Underwood! This poll is such a joke!

• RoqueMocan says:

It may not be that Allison would “outsing” Carrie in the technical sense, but sing with a fiery passion and a smoky blues and rock and roll voice.

31. Brittany says:

Wow how awesome is it that Allison won this poll? This will definitely help her career. LOL

• RoqueMocan says:

Allison winning this poll shows how dearly loved she is by her fans… and those who love her continue to spread the word. There is a reason why she is so loved.

32. ace says:

Carrie lost! This is so unbelievable and just goes to prove how tone death some people are!

33. Jader says:

Yey! Allison and Won!!!! She is so underrated. I am looking forward for her new album, She is coming darker and dirtier.

34. allisonrox says:

Oh please. It’s not like Allison won in a land slide, Carrie’s just .50 above Allison! I love Allison, but i think it’s over reacting. Both of them are equally fantastic.

35. allisonrox says:

I mean Allison’s just .50 above Carrie. :)

36. Alan says:

Well done Allison– two great performances.. but please show some respect without the bad mouthing (Allison was after all only 17 in that performance– amazing and something all the US should be proud of).

37. Dave says: