Fall TV Preview

Fall TV: Fox Is First Out of the Gate with Orders for Bones Spinoff, J.J. Abrams' Alcatraz

And they’re off! Fox popped the cork on the annual upfronts season by placing orders for four new series for the 2011-12 TV season.

Among Fox’s orders are the Bones spinoff The Finder, starring Geoff Stults and based on a “planted pilot” episode that aired last month, and Alcatraz, a time travel-flavored drama from Lost/Fringe VIP J.J. Abrams.

Also on Fox’s shopping list, two comedies: I Hate My Teenage Daughter, starring Jaime Pressly, and The New Girl, starring Zooey Deschanel as an unlucky-in-love school teacher who moves away from her ex-boyfriend and in with three unruly guys. (Of note, the New Girl ensemble includes Damon Wayans Jr., so the very funny fellow will have a job should Happy Endings not make the cut at ABC.)

Alas, there’s also some sad news coming out of Fox HQ: Human Target, Breaking In and The Chicago Code re the first casualties of the new TV season, and won’t be back for a third and second cycle, respectively. Read more on that here.

More details on Fox’s four pick-ups can be found at Deadline.com.

Comments (52)

• yesssssssssssssss so no the finder mixed with bones
    that would mean the death of bones
    however i will watch it as a seperate series no doubt

Comment by melita – May 10, 2011 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree I hope this is the end of Bones.

Comment by siglpop – May 11, 2011 05:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Melita wasn’t hoping for Bones to be canceled. Melita was thankful that The Finder wouldn’t be part of Bones as it would be the death of Bones if it was.

Comment by darclyte – May 11, 2011 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That bones spinoff is gonna fail. how many times did he say, ‘i’ll risk it” in the “pilot”, so annoying. Wasn’t impressed with the other 2 either. that was a complete waste of an episode of bones.

I REALLY hope they give The Chicago Code a chance, it’s a great show.

And super excited about season 4 of Fringe!

Comment by Leah – May 10, 2011 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • catch·phrase /ˈkaCHˌfrāz/ noun: a word or expression that is used repeatedly and conveniently to represent or characterize a person, group, idea, or point of view.

Comment by Amanda – May 10, 2011 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • We know what it is, and it’s annoying. Like how Danny on CSI:NY always said “Boom!” it drove me crazy. I’m glad I skipped this.

Comment by DJ – May 11, 2011 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m pretty surprised The Finder was given a go. It was one of the lowest rated episodes of Bones, and most of the feedback that I read about it from professional reviewers to fans was poor.

Comment by darclyte – May 11, 2011 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It really wasn’t a great episode. I love Bones, but I actually fell asleep during that episode. And didn’t care enough to try to watch it again later.

Comment by V – May 11, 2011 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have always loved Bones and I am glad that it is returning. Have yet to see the spinoff but if David Boreanaz is in it I will give it a go ;). I am also glad that Fringe will be back, but without Peter? I thought the last episode ended Fringe quite nicely. I am, however, absolutely gutted that Lie to me has been axed! Whhyyyyy? Chicaco code was also a very good series and deserves at least a second series. What is going on????? Please reconsider!

Comment by Annwyn Lewis – August 18, 2011 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Just realised after trying to view the episide on youtube that I had actually seen the finder and didn’t mind it, but I would prefer to see the characters turn up occasionally as part of Bones itself. Don’t think a show based just on them will be as good. Definitely not as good as some of the shows that they have axed. If it aint broke why throw it away? Sooooo glad they didn’t axe House!

Comment by Annwynlewis – August 18, 2011 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • happy about alcatraz, still hoping for locke & key

Comment by ZR – May 10, 2011 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe it’s me, but I don’t think Damon Wayans Jr. is funny. He’s rarely the subject of a story on Happy Endings, and he kind of brings the cast down.

Comment by Sam – May 10, 2011 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! I think all five are much funnier, and that includes Eliza Dushku, so that’s saying something.

Comment by Kevin – May 10, 2011 11:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Eliza Dushku isn’t in Happy Endings…

Comment by Lauren – May 11, 2011 03:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please tell me Michael Clarke Duncan, Saffron Burrows and Danny Trejo are also still in ‘Finder.’

Comment by Mooshki – May 10, 2011 07:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So do I. It almost makes up for losing four shows I enjoy while more of Abrams garbage piles on.

Comment by Anna – May 11, 2011 02:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe and Alcatraz…. mind-blown!

Comment by Aimee – May 10, 2011 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would’ve rather they kept Human Target than Finder.

Comment by Pamela – May 10, 2011 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me, too. I did not like The Finder’s pilot episode at all. I’m going to miss Chance, Winston and Guerrero…Ames and Ilsa, not so much.

Comment by MelindaB – May 10, 2011 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully this means we won’t have to suffer The Finder taking over Bones when Emily’s on maternity leave… It will have its own show and be its own separate thing.

Comment by AngelMoonGirl – May 10, 2011 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You wont have to worry about it, Finder will be cancelled way before Emily goes on Maternity leave….

Sad day for Lie to me.

Comment by Grignac – May 11, 2011 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yesss! I really liked ‘The Finder’. Good character dynamic and writer. Can’t wait!

Comment by Lily – May 10, 2011 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the whole idea of creating TVline was to have a place for all the TV news, but what’s the point of this site if we have to go to deadline.com for most of the news now…

Comment by z – May 10, 2011 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad about the Finder! But still pissed about Human Target.

Comment by Dijea – May 10, 2011 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone else get the vibe that the Finder’s dynamic is a total rip-off of Burn Notice?

Comment by christina – May 10, 2011 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, I get the vibe that Geoff Stultz is ripping off Garret Dillahunt’s delivery and style.

Comment by Jon – May 10, 2011 10:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they can ok the Finder, which I have yet to see anyone post something good about, than I think they should be able to bring back Lie to Me.

Comment by Corinne – May 10, 2011 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate that fox won’t give breaking in more of a chance, yes it’s after idol but they haven’t given it much publicity

Comment by Kevin – May 10, 2011 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Breaking In is the funniest show that has started on television in the last five years. Fox is flat out stupid to kill it already

Comment by matt – May 10, 2011 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooo. Breaking In is really funny! They should have given it a longer chance and more adverts. Sucks to see this one canceled.

Interested in Abram’s Alcatraz, and I might give The Finder a shot.

Comment by Chadwick – May 10, 2011 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad they picked up Alcatraz and the Finder BUT they should of kept Chicago Code and Breaking In.
    Chicago Code was a great show and Breaking in was funny.

Comment by Laurel – May 10, 2011 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Abrams’*

Comment by Chadwick – May 10, 2011 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Zooey Deschanel’s The New Girl is the one I’m most excited for.

Comment by Ava – May 10, 2011 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • thank god fox had the sense to pick the finder others hart would have gone out of his way to destroy bones
    sheesh relief to that
    sad abt tcc,lie to me and breaking in awesome shows always get cancelled

Comment by melita – May 10, 2011 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You mean turning Tempe into someone who either doesn’t know or doesn’t care about basic human interaction while making the show’s plots completely inane and nonsensical isn’t going out of his way to destroy Bones?

Did the trick for my interest in the show.

Comment by Jon – May 10, 2011 10:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • seriously have you seen signs in the silence i think it was the best episode in tv for a very long time
        no matter what angry fans say even in its 6th season bones has got its strongest ratings

Comment by lexi – May 11, 2011 12:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Guess what Fox just did?

Killed any chance of me watching the network next year.

They killed Human Target, Lie to Me, and Chicago Code a/k/a the only shows I actually watch on their network. All that is left is Fringe, and I only watch that on DVD.

Bye-bye Fox! Glad you helped resolve DVR conflicts, but I wish you hadn’t done it this definitively.

Comment by Jon – May 10, 2011 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • TRY [H]OUSE! Hugh Laurie is AMAZING!!! :)

Comment by Grace – May 11, 2011 01:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m happy to hear about Alcatraz, but I’m extremely disappointed due to Human Target and Lie To Me. Shame on you, Fox.

Comment by Brandon – May 10, 2011 10:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Bones, but really didn’t find the Finder episode at all nice. I would rather keep Human Target and Breaking in. Damn, Fox!

Comment by Vanny – May 11, 2011 01:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hated that Bones episode about The Finder. It was awful. I can’t believe they’re going to make that into a series. Yuck.

Comment by maggie – May 11, 2011 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t even remember the episode about the finder. Must not have been that good. I guess I will try it if I have DVR room? Human Target was awesome! They always take the good ones away!

Comment by Michelle – May 11, 2011 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I did not like The Finder episode at all. In fact, I switched over to something else. I would much rather have Fox keep Human Target instead. Too bad. I won’t be watching The Finder, that I know for sure.

Comment by Bella – May 11, 2011 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a big Bones fan but I was NOT impressed with the Finder characters that they debuted in the Bones episode. I can tolerate the main guy (as long as he stops saying “I’ll risk it”) but the girl was HORRIBLE and Michael Clark Duncan was just meh. I honestly have no desire to spend another hour with those characters, much less watch them every week.

I have watched and enjoyed every episode of The Chicago Code and I’m pissed that The Finder was granted a spot and Chicago Code was axed.

Comment by tiffanylynn – May 11, 2011 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m excited about I hate my teenage daughter. I loved the idea of this show since i read about its pilot and premise a few months ago. Putting Jamie Presley in one of the title roles will be good too. I find her hilarious.

Comment by Heather – May 11, 2011 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one that really enjoyed the introduction of The Finder? I was actually more interested in that episode than in a lot of the other Bones ones this season. Of course I am of the opinion that the show hasn’t been as good since Zack got tossed out. I don’t like the rotating interns, and I really don’t want them to get Booth and Bones together (I never thought the duo was compatible and Booth didn’t give her a second glance until after his surgery and the weird dream that came with it).

I think The Finder has potential to be a good show.

Comment by Nicole – May 11, 2011 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmmm…what’s that smell. Oh, I know, it’s Fox trying to rip off Big Bang Theory with The New Girl. How original of them. And I hope The Finder tanks big time. That’s what you get for dropping Lie To Me.

Comment by Bob – May 11, 2011 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a little surprised that so many Bones fans are writing off the Finder before it even had a chance. I, for one, trust Hart Hanson and the show is in his hands. He has made Bones a great show. I know they pick series based on pilots, but that is never the best episode of any series and so much changes from most pilot episodes. I will definitely give Finder a chance. I do hope they do something about the Saffron Burrows character though – if not replacing the actress (which I heard rumors about), then at least change that horrid accent!

Comment by KDW – May 11, 2011 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lie to Me and Human Target were both great shows, won’t miss The Chicago Code, Breaking In was the only funny show on Fox. Din’t find the Finder all that interesting would have rather they keep one of the other shows. Oh well at least I still have Fringe

Comment by Nun Yo Business – May 11, 2011 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alcatraz is probably the only one I’ll give a try and it better be a Grand Slam out of the box or I won’t stick around. They will probably pair it with Fringe on Fridays. Fox should do something really unexpected like kill American Idol and give a few hours a week for better television.

Comment by BillK – May 11, 2011 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lets show FOX what we think about cancelling The Chicago Code! Help get everyone you know to watch the final episodes. http://on.fb.me/jsyZwS

Comment by jschro155 – May 13, 2011 05:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Finder epiosde just aired on Wed in the UK and as a loyal Bones fan since it’s pilot, I can honestly say this was the worst episode. I have seen other shows where they tan almost subliminal pilot for a spin off within the show (Millenium in X Files, Private Practice in Greys, the CSIs, and the new Criminal Minds show to name a few), but this just stank. You tune in to watch a show – in this case Bones – and spend an hour watching 3 strangers take control!!! The Bones cast only got about 5 min screen time combined for the whole epiosode!! I did like the lead in the Finder but that woman made me cringe every time she opened her mouth. Worst British accent I have ever had the displeasure of hearing!!!! If they get rid of her, I might consider watching it if it makes it over here. But I oculdn’t listen to her. So disappointed that Lie to Me – with a fantstic British lead, who shows what Brits are really like and has the same accent as my Dad (I’m a northerner)- has been canned. Loved that show, loved teh whole cats and thought Tim Roth was great – and I loved the dynamic of Tim and Hayley McFarlane, they really shine when on screen with each other!!!

Comment by Katy – May 13, 2011 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post