Dancing With the Stars: Did the Right Couple Get Sent Home This Week?

From a mathematical perspective, it ought to get easier each week to predict which Dancing With the Stars contestant is getting the boot. I mean, we’re at the point in the season where I can count the remaining couples on one hand, so how hard can it be?

Right or wrong, I applied that logic heading into tonight’s Week 8 results-show telecast, smug in the relative certainty that I had already figured out whose dreams of the Mirrorball Trophy were destined be dashed. He (yes, he, because my beloved Kristie just had to be safe!) would come from the duo at the bottom of the leader board–Ralph Macchio or Romeo–and a bum knee (aka a ruptured baker’s cyst, for you sticklers out there) meant the smart money was on the demise of the erstwhile Karate Kid. Then again, perhaps potential sympathy votes for Ralph would be enough to doom hot new box-office star Romeo. (Hey, he’s got a hit movie out right now, isn’t that enough?)

But slap me with a spoon, who didn’t forget about results for a few minutes with Adele in the house? My heart sank momentarily near the end of hour one when Adele unexpectedly appeared to tell Tom her voice was “a bit knackered” –- leaving Aussie sensation Delta Goodrem to take over her scheduled cover of the Aretha Franklin classic “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman.”

But I was ecstatic when the ever-fabulous 21 chart-topper hit the ballroom stage and ripped into “Rolling In the Deep” (“we could have had it awwwwwwllll”). If any spitfire diva can challenge my Kirstie obsession right now, it’s this spectacularly talented young woman. To me, she’s got all the fiery ferocity of “You Ought Know”-era Alanis Morissette, with a more emotionally complicated 21st century sensibility.

But enough about my iPod staples. As usual, the opening hour’s “Greatest Results Show Performances” made the minutes pass like hours, but all was forgiven when former DWTS competitor Michael Bolton (my greatest guilty pleasure ever has to be “Soul Provider”) got my ’80s nostalgia in high gear, performing “I’m Not Ready”(with special guest Delta Goodrem) from his brand spankin new album Gems: The Duets Collection.

Throughout the night, the infamous DWTS trio of Jerry Rice, Kenny Mayne and Len Goodman graced us with what were to me some less-than-hilarious Dance Center segments. (How come they harassed poor Kirstie the worst, those bad boys?)

But without further adieu, it’s time for the real moment of truth — tonight’s results:

FINAL TWO COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY” (THOUGH NOT NECESSARILY THE BOTTOM TWO)
Ralph Macchio and Karina Smirnoff
Romeo and Chelsie Hightower

ELIMINATED
Romeo and Chelsie Hightower

“I’m surprised because that was one of my best dances last night, but at the same time, I’m not surprised because the competition this year, anyone could go at any time,” said a gracious Romeo, who joins Kendra Wilkinson, Chris Jericho, Mike Catherwood, Wendy Williams, Sugar Ray Leonard and Petra Nemcova on the DWTS sidelines. “This show has changed my life forever,” added Romeo. “I was terrified at dancing. I didn’t dance at my own prom.” As the show came to an end, he offered one last bit of inspiration: “I want to show kids, don’t be afraid to try, go out there, fall on your face a few times and get back up.” Then, with a special shout out to the judges and Chelsie (“You know, we can still dance after this…”) and a plug for his Twitter account (@RomeoMiller), it was time for the last dance. Keep shaking those hips, Romeo!

And with that, it’s your turn. Did Adele roll you in the deep? Which was your favorite Dance Center segment? (The copy machine/Royal Wedding ditty gets my vote.) How big was the lump in your throat watching those amazing brothers Hefa, Solano and Tu’iniua Tuita, ages 19, 16 and 12, fulfill their DWTS dream? And lastly, which of the semi-finalists have the most momentum going into next week? Sound off in the comments, and let us know in our poll if the right couple went home! –-Mitch Rustad

1. Nicie says:

What an upset! I did not see that coming, Romeo!

2. MNCyn Cyndee says:

It’s down to ‘process of elimination’ mode and they’re all so good and/or so popular! I thought maybe Ralph might have hinted to friends that he’d be ok with being done with the (perceived) torture & pain, but he’s a competitor! Romeo turned into a really cool roll model! k

3. Kris says:

I was sad to see Romeo go but you’re right, this is a great season! Everyone is so good and by that logic, ANY elimination is sad. I though Ralph should have gone home but as long as my girl Chelsie is still in the game, I’m good. A Chelsie/Kirstie finale would be perfect.

4. Captain says:

Dial Idol was so wrong cause it said Romeo had the most votes. So that either means the DWTS people cheated or Dial Idol is just plain wrong.

• Meg says:

The same thing happened the week Petra was voted off.

And DialIdol only takes the call votes into account. It doesn’t count any of the text or e-mail votes. I think a lot of people would have done extra voting for Ralph yesterday since he had such a low score.

• Jerry says:

You can’t go by that web site any more due to the web and text votes…the phone calls are only a part of the voting and besides we don’t really know how ABC weighs the viewer votes against the judges do we?

• Danny says:

ABC has said in the past that judges scores count 50% and voter’s calls etc. count the other 50% of the total score. They figure out the total judges scores of the evening and what percentage of that each contestant got and do the same for voter calls/texts etc. Each category then is combined. Say, if you got 30% of Judges total scores and 50% of total viewer calls etc. then you’d have 40% of total combined score.
        But the short answer is Judges and Voters have equal say.

5. spencer says:

I am soooo happy he’s gone!!!!!!!!!!!! Petra should still be in the competition, btw.

6. Karen says:

I wanted Ralph to go. Something creepy about that guy. But alas, he got the sympathy vote, so there he stays.

7. Sam2 says:

I hated to see anyone get voted off last night, but I have to say Romeo’s exit was very gracious. And he has learned to dance…very well I might add. Ralph may have made a mistake by not bowing out of the competition..that knee is only gonna get worse.

8. Kate says:

Baker’s cysts heal fairly quickly once they burst, although they’re excruciatingly painful. Ralph should be back to form fairly quickly. At this point, I have to say I think Kirstie will be next. After that, I’m torn – it could be any one of the other three who take it. Man, it’s been CLOSE this season!

9. Virginia says:

Voting was extremely hard this week. All have performed so well. I chose not to vote for Romeo based on personality shown on air. He and Chelsie just didn’t have “it”. Sadly, Romeo shone best in his farewell speech. Sure would have liked to see that mirror ball split five ways.

10. Amber says:

I’m just kind of happy I don’t have to hear Romeo plug his movie, Twitter account, whatever, anymore. Self-promotion, especially when it’s done as heavily as he did it, really annoys me. From here, I’ll have a hard time seeing anyone go from the competition. I can’t begin to guess who it’s going to be next week, nor can I make a choice in who I would want it to be.

The most surreal moment of the night came for me during the segment with the Tuita brothers. DWTS showed something I see outside my living room window everyday…the beautiful Mt. Timpanogas. So I guess we’re neighbors, Tuita family. Here’s a shout out to ya!

11. verna says:

I am so upset that Chelsea Kane and Mark Ballas did not win last night!! They were by FAR the best dancers always. I admire Kirstie for all that she did on the shows but she wasn’t as good a dancer as Chelsea. I also didn’t think Hines Ward was that good a dancer but he was favoried from the start, I think. I may not ever watch Dancing with the Stars again I am so disappointed.