Fox Cancels Human Target, Lie To Me, Chicago Code, Two Others

Get More: Cancellations, News, Scoop

Fox went on a killing spree late Tuesday, canceling five bubble shows including Human Target and Lie to Me.

The network also axed freshman comedies Breaking In and Traffic Light as well as Shield creator Shawn Ryan’s rookie cop drama The Chicago Code.

Fox Renews Bones For Seventh Season

The cancellations come one week before Fox is set to unveil its fall schedule to advertisers.

Fox, however, was also in the mood for addition as well as subtraction, granting orders to several new series including the Bones spinoff and J.J. Abrams’ Alcatraz.

House Picked Up For Season 8

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect this evening’s bloodbath.

Comments (514)

• Very sad to see Lie to Me and Chicago Code cancelled, esp as someone who rarely watches any TV (I grew up without one so never get attached). Lie to Me was different and intriguing, and Chicago Code was also not your typical copy show. The only other show I watch is House and that is getting kind of stale, it feels like they are running out of ideas and just make House act crazier and crazier, not sure if I will be watching much longer. Reading some of the other posts I gather that this is how Fox operates, canceling shows people like!

Comment by Markus – May 11, 2011 10:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are you kidding me?!?! Breaking In is CANCELLED?!? I LOVE that show!! It was one of the few TV shows worth watching!!! It was clever, fresh and entertaining. (Did you see the list of nicknames they came up with for Cam on the last episode?!? HILARIOUS!) The show made me laugh out loud each and every week…something I can’t say about any other show on TV.

(I only found this site because I did a search for the show to find out more information about it…and unfortunately, I ended up here. :-S)

Comment by CC – May 11, 2011 10:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, looks like Fox screwed itself yet again. Low viewership or not, The Chicago Code deserved more than one season, no doubts about it.

Comment by Dave – May 12, 2011 06:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lie to me is the best of the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You are really stupid if you won’t renew it!!
    Fox sucks!!
    кто не согласен – мудак!

Comment by Anastasia – May 12, 2011 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fox is so trigger happy with their shows it’s crazy.Breaking In is a great show and hilarious for just one example…they don’t give the shows even a minimum time to build an audience.It sucks.
    IT’s like Fox is owned by complete soulless morons who have no idea what they’re doing….
    Wait….oh right..they are.

Comment by Benny – May 12, 2011 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ARE YOU KIDDING ME!???!!!! Breaking In was one of the best shows Ive seen in YEARS!! It had potential to be up there with the shows like How I Met Your Mother and all those shows! UGH! I just found this out right now and I am so depressed….. F U FOX!!!!!!!! BOYCOTT!!!!!!!!! BRING BACK BREAKING IN!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Cole Cusumano – May 12, 2011 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chicago Code and Breaking In have rocked.

This is a shame.

Comment by Meg – May 12, 2011 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hated that episode of The Finder, and now I probably won’t watch it because they made me mad. I liked the Chicago Code, honestly it was probably the best new series in my opinion. I really looked forward to watching it and hearing thta they’ve replaced it for this dribble bad episode of The Finder.

Comment by Amy – May 12, 2011 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • VERY VERY VERY Disappointed in the Lie To Me cancellation! Wish a decent network would pick it up. Fox has been on my list since they canceled Firfly. Booo Fox….you stink.

Comment by cc – May 12, 2011 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m appalled, APPALLED I say, that Lie to Me has been canceled. More Reality TV? Attention FOX: I’ve never been attracted to ANY of it AND in addition was totally utterly completely disinterested in Lost. Why the blasted hell does anything I’m even remotely interested in get canceled within a season or two (of 13 not 24 episodes, so there’s barely enough to go back to, let alone expand the storylines properly — think about it: the original Star Trek only lasted 3 seasons, but there’s about 75 episodes. that’s HUGE by today’s standards, and look at the shoestring budget they had back then!) but then the stuff I find stultifyingly uninteresting live on and on and and on. AND ON. Please, ENOUGH blasted reality tv already.

Attention Network Executives of all stations: you are THIS close to losing my interest forever as a viewer. I think I’m going back to reading books and only watching movies, because at least with books, generally the author has to DIE before the ‘series got canceled’.

Hello Netflix subscription, bye bye cable tv, bye bye network tv.

oh and ‘webisodes’ ? sorry, not long enough to do storylines any justice, although LXD is sufficently different to capture my interest. otherwise, “fuhgeddaboutid”.

What have I been watching lately?

Mental,
    The Gates,
    Haven,
    Heroes,
    Journeyman,
    The Listener,
    Sanctuary,
    Stargate (SG1, Atlantis and Universe)
    Starhunter 2300,
    V,
    Warehouse 13,
    Dexter,
    Dr Who,
    Torchwood,
    Dead Like Me,
    Sanctuary,
    Farscape,

there’s been others, but this is what I’ve been watching lately, (or catching up on missed episodes) mostly via Hulu.com.

Question my tastes all you want, but with much of what catches my interest getting canceled all the time, I no longer trust YOUR judgement, Mr. Network Executive. As a result, I’m less likely to even START watching anything and getting involved in its characters UNTIL you’ve got more than a season or two for me to watch. I’m not sitting well with never getting to find out how the story ends. starhunter was a particular disappointment, ending on a cliffhanger as it did. DAMN you.

*opens window and leans out, shouting* “I’m MAD AS HELL, and I’m NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!

Comment by Scott – May 12, 2011 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • also forgot to mention

The 4400,
      all three CSI series (loved equally, zero distinction),
      John Doe,
      The Beast (wow is all I can say, here. I understand why this series can’t continue due to the death of Patrick Swayze, but DAMN this was good, and at least the primary story arc was finished by season’s end and not left as a cliffhanger),
      Daybreak (slow start but by the time I get 1/3 in to the series, it’s marathon time — can’t stop)
      Zatoichi (old one. guilty pleasure. great great story),
      and just to toss them out, the exellent miniseries’ The Lost Room, and Tin Man.

Comment by Scott – May 12, 2011 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • *Throws fists in the air* YOU GO SCOTT!!! YEAH!!! Mr. Executive person is a moron.

Comment by Tom – May 13, 2011 01:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh Scott,
      I loved that show “The Forgotten” why in the heck did they take that of in the first place I think it had good ratings….I was disappointing when it said Show Finally….. :(

Comment by Bee – May 14, 2011 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lets show FOX what we think about cancelling The Chicago Code! Help get everyone you know to watch the final episodes. http://on.fb.me/jsyZwS

Comment by jschro155 – May 12, 2011 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what the hell is fox been thinking?
    “Lie To Me”, “Human Target” should not be cancelled, they should let them have another season and let the writers finished up their story…
    If they were to cancel the two shows, they should cancelled “Fringe” as well, it have lower ratings than the two shows. What is wrong with them?

Comment by bobdarkson – May 12, 2011 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree breaking in is an awesome show. I found it to be very funny. Maybe F/X will pick it up. I actually thought this would be a show Christian Slater could actually last in. We should start a petition if they can save Chuck..maybe we can save breaking in?

Comment by Teddy B – May 12, 2011 11:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lie to Me IS not WAS, an AWESOME show, and The people at Fox, whoever executed the order to cancel it, I’m going to be blunt here, IS A MORON. LIKE SERIOUSLY??? I know it comes down to money, and honestly that show has a VERY SOLID FANBASE!!! They have 1.9 million fans on FB and thats SAYING ALOT. I think thats more than Papa Roach has and PROACH has been around since mid 90s. I hope someone storms down you guys’ doors and really shows you guys whose boss, or you smarten up to prevent that, and bring LIE TO ME back!!! I’m gonna write you guys,and say this directly to you, as I’m not sure you’ll see this. BRING BACK LIE TO ME!!! After Smallville and Supernatural ends(that is if Lie to Me doesn’t come back) I might just be done with TV period, and I never really liked FOX anyways.

Comment by Tom – May 13, 2011 01:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as BONES is not canceled, I am immensely happy. That’s the only show I watch anyway. I haven’t even heard of half of the shows that were canceled. I just watch BONES because it’s AMAZING!!!! and I didnt mind the Finder but I didn’t really like it either. He helped Brennan find something she lost and that was pretty much the only thing I liked about, especially since he had a thing for Brennan. But BONES is THE BEST SHOW EVER!!!!! <3<3<3<3<3 :)

Comment by Temperance – May 13, 2011 03:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Chicago Code picked up by a cable network. If I were TNT or USA I would have been on the phone with the people 2 seconds after this announcement.

Comment by Steph – May 13, 2011 04:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s not just Fox who doesn’t give shows a chance. I’m just glad Bones came on when Fox was more willing to wait and let a show grow.

AS far as shows like the Jersey Shore braindead people should have TV to watch. It’s a show about the braindead for the braindead. Not one person with more than a single digit IQ either watches it or is on it.

Comment by Steph – May 13, 2011 04:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LTM was a great show! FOX sucks…

Comment by Cirdan – May 13, 2011 05:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lie to me :(

Comment by juil – May 13, 2011 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooo!! I love LTM!! =’(. . . I was hopping (at least) a decent finale!!

Comment by Jessy M – May 13, 2011 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is not fair! they dont advertise properly! how am i supposed to fall in love with a show i dont know about? i want more BREAKING IN!!!

Comment by numb – May 13, 2011 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back Lie to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by dew – May 14, 2011 04:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You idiots finally get a adult program on TV (Chicago Code) and now you cancel it If you had any brains you would take them out and pee on them,just go back to being last and put 5th grade crap on your network

Comment by jake80 – May 14, 2011 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why are they taking “Lie to me” of…..I Love this show….bring it back and take something else of…This is the best show I ever got into and I think other people agree with me.

Comment by Bee – May 14, 2011 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THE CHICAGO CODE WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF FOX??

Also sad for Christian Slater who deserves so much better.

Comment by Ellen – May 14, 2011 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You mean there are other shows on FOX besides Lie to Me? Who knew? It was the only show I watched on FOX. Now I have a reason to delete it from my channel selections.

Comment by John Mihalko – May 15, 2011 10:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FOX SUCKS for taking away the Chicago Code.

Comment by VT – May 16, 2011 06:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHICAGO CODE WAS AMAZING!!! I dont ever get into cop shows, until this came along. Stupid fox!!!

Comment by meli – May 16, 2011 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like Chicago Code, Human target, and Lie to me.

Comment by D. Orndorff – May 16, 2011 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was under the impression that Lie to Me was sold abroad fairly well. Was this show so costly the revenues did not do the math?
    Or is it a shortage on domestic timeslots?

I must admit the development of Tim Roths character Dr.Lightman was not going in the right direction. The show would have done better if other characters were developed more.

As a foreign outstander I’ve always wondered what a relatively intelligent show as Lie to Me was doing with FOX anyway.

Cheers,
    Loek
    (the Netherlands)

Comment by Loek Gijben – May 17, 2011 03:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s too bad about Human Target. There are not many action shows on any more… just shows about geniuses crime dramas. Which are fine, but there needs to be variety. HT was my modern day MacGyver or A-Team. There is still a market for that. But… at least there was no cliffhanger.

Comment by JAKe – May 17, 2011 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is wrong with FOX, Chicago Code and Human Target are great shows. Why do they continue to take off all the good shows?

Comment by Debbie – May 17, 2011 06:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fox, you suck. Lie to Me and Chicago Code were two good shows. What else can I say? Besides you SUCK.

Comment by Rich – May 17, 2011 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • dont’ forget they also announced the cancellation of Americas’ Most Wanted from Prime Time TV. It will still maintain at small 2 hour slot on off times. Which currently looks like sunday nights 9 p – 10 p

Comment by Jason – May 17, 2011 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why on earth would they cancel ‘Breaking In’??? It’s a hillariously funny show with great writing and convincing actors. Not to mention it had a completely new and promising concept.

Instead Fox will add the so-called ‘Bones’ “Spin-Off”, even though it has nothing whatsoever to do with ‘Bones’ in the first place, and a vast majority of fans disliked the blatantly obvious promotion attempt that was done for the new show on ‘Bones’? Seriously?

Same old, same old. Count on Fox to make the wrong programming decisions.

Comment by nicky – May 18, 2011 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Always when new shows are just getting warmed up and catching my attention… They get canceled… Breaking In… So sad to see you go. Human Target as well… Lie To Me… Farewell… A Bones spin off… Really!?! Yuck… Why mess with a good thing…

Comment by Wendy – May 18, 2011 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Да блин!!! как так можно с людьми поступать!!! Сколько людей ждет сериал Lie to me а Кости никто не смотрит!!! Я не знаю это тупость!!! БРЕЕЕЕЕЕЕД!!!

Comment by Егор – May 19, 2011 04:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Human Target…how could they cancel it? awesome show, BRING IT BACK!

Comment by Kyan Jackson – May 19, 2011 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m very upset with lie to me being cacelled . What a great show !

Comment by Ken Carroll – May 19, 2011 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hi SUPER mad that they cancelled Lie to Me, Human Target and Breaking In.

What is Fox thinking???? Come on…..don’t you consider all the people around the world that happen to like these shows?

I’m disappointed. I used to believe that FOX was the one channel that gave a shot to shows that other networks were to stupid to keep, and now they’re becoming no better than the rest of the networks……Bringing 15 new shows to the fall line up…..why?….so you can cancel 14 of them?

Comment by Sam – May 19, 2011 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I only recently watched human target for the first and i got hooked on it …

i just honestly cant believe that they cancelled it …

who would do such a thing? BLOODY MONSTERS :(

Comment by Asad – May 20, 2011 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t believe they canceled Breaking In. That was the funniest show on TV in a long time and my hubby and I both loved it! Networks cancel all the best shows..

Comment by Rebecca – May 20, 2011 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!!!!!!! “LIE TO ME” WAS THE BEST SHOW ON!!!!! I LOVED THAT SHOW. WHY do you always cancel the good ones and keep the loser shows? “house”, really??????? That show sucks! Reality TV sucks! Animated shows suck! And you suck for taking off “LIE TO ME”! I think we all should stop watching tv, stop buying gas and refuse to comply with the “man” until some normalcy comes back to the world! Really who wants to watch these other sucky shows?????? Who wears what? Who will marry me? Who will fight with me on a deserted island??????? REALLY?????????? Who’s my baby daddy??????? Human brain cells are dying as I speak! FOX, YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!

Comment by Des – May 23, 2011 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so tired of getting invested in tv shows and then they cancel them. These tv stations better wake up and realise people are watching the shows sometimes on their computers and that if their not careful tv stations will go the way of the 8 track and maybe it should. quality tv like Human Target and Chicago code are being replaced with stupid ass SNOOKI type reality it makes me sick.

Comment by wally – May 23, 2011 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When are they going to learn. Fox the viewers will just go somewhere else. AI, Glee, and all that reality crap doesn’t cut it. After next year House will be gone. Where are the real characters?…

Comment by Paul – May 24, 2011 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish Fox would bring back Lie to Me, it was seriously the only TV show I ever watched.

Comment by Ben – May 24, 2011 11:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Lie to me! It’s smart and has wonderful actors. How Fox can cancel it is a mystery… Honor to them if they decides to take it back.

Comment by Elin – May 25, 2011 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Да что ж вы делаете??? Вы закрыли самый мировой сериал который:
    1) Не завершен!
    2) Нет смысла закрывать!
    3) Снят по восприятию и лжи, а каждый знает что это всегда интересно!!!
    4) Да там же Tim Roth снимается!!!
    Если Fox считает что сериал унылое говно, то люди, которые там работают просто идиоты!

Comment by Egor – May 27, 2011 12:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am extremely disappointed that Lie to Me was cancelled.

Comment by Tabitha Grimm – May 27, 2011 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i loved Chicago code and human target! they were the best shows on fox. i just started to watch fox network again because of these shows now that they took them off i stopped nobody in my household wants to see fringe and gee are more house because we’re tired of him. hopefully they sell Chicago code and human target to another network!!

Comment by jessica – May 28, 2011 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post