Fox Cancels Human Target, Lie To Me, Chicago Code, Two Others

Fox went on a killing spree late Tuesday, canceling five bubble shows including Human Target and Lie to Me.

The network also axed freshman comedies Breaking In and Traffic Light as well as Shield creator Shawn Ryan’s rookie cop drama The Chicago Code.

Fox Renews Bones For Seventh Season

The cancellations come one week before Fox is set to unveil its fall schedule to advertisers.

Fox, however, was also in the mood for addition as well as subtraction, granting orders to several new series including the Bones spinoff and J.J. Abrams’ Alcatraz.

House Picked Up For Season 8

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect this evening’s bloodbath.

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Cancellations, News, Scoop

1. Kathy V. says:

Lie to Me is such an interesting show…it opened up a whole new world of reading people.

2. Bella says:

No! I loved Human Target and was liking Breaking In, too. Two shows that made me laugh and were a nice break from the serial killer police procedurals that bloat the airways. And I even like those, but I like some humor and fun now and again to clean the palate. So disappointed.

3. Lor says:

Sigh! The Chicago Code is a very well written show…you would think they would try a different time slot before pulling the plug. I enjoyed Lie To Me….Tim Roth plays the role so well….but I guess it has ran it’s course. Breaking In is fun, but I figured it would not last.

4. Tiffany says:

I am really sad to see Chicago Code go! Lots of good actors and was well written with interesting characters. I honestly think this one deserved one more season to see if it could find a bigger audience. :(

5. Eric Dodson says:

It seems like Bret Harrison has the worst luck in all of Hollywood, he was awesome in Grounded for life, which had a great run, and I could have watched another 2-3 seasons to see what happens to the family after the birth of the new baby. Even tho Bret wasn’t a central charicter he was still very likeable.

He was awesome in Reaper, the whole cast was great. It just sucks that CW didn’t give it another 2 seasons to flush out the storyline and charicters.

I really liked Looped, and was hoping that it would be the breakout series for Bret, but it didn’t last and once again FOX screwed up it’s fan base AGAIN.

I will admit i’m a “nerd” and I thought the idea behind breaking in was very original, and I TiVo’ed it had friends over to watch, and they all liked the show, it’s a shame FOX once again does not allow a show to find an audience. Just imagine if Sienfield or Friends was cancelled after the first season because it wasn’t preforming the way NBC wanted it to.

6. Ket says:

I think everyone is missing that Christian Slater is the new Ted McGinley. I’m sure Michael Rosenbaum is now real happy he picked Breaking in over a longer arc on Smallville.

Fox needs to change its name to Reality tv as soon the entire network will be only that with almost half its programming being crappy reality shows. They are doing better programming the FX network then they are their main network.

• Frosty says:

Yeah but remember when they tried Lone Star, which was good programming but didn’t work on their network, they should have made it more ”MA”
      (mature) and just put it on FX. But then the actors would be getting lower salaries and all that jazz. But at least the show would have survived, and would have been better creatively.

7. jrs says:

For the love of all that is good, please let this be the last time we’ll see Christian Slater cast in a tv show. WHY do they keep doing that???

8. breaking in says:

please not close breaking in our russia is veri love

9. Frosty says:

Human Target sucked. Whoever casted/wrote that show. Wow. Storylines sucked, It was very much a boys show. There were hardly any female characters. Breaking In was bad also, I watched 30 minutes of the pilot. Could hardly get through it. I watched a few episodes of Lie To Me and enjoyed them. Oh well..

10. Wet says:

It seems fairly obvious someone at Fox didn’t like Human Target. Why else would they have treated this show thusly by giving it a poor time slot, abrupt pre-emption and anonymous rescheduling? You know what? Human Target managed to pull somewhat respectable ratings despite many viewers never knowing where or when it’s on.
    They could have easily fixed what was wrong with the show by killing off the woman boss in the very next episode since adding her in the first place was a huge mistake.
    They kill off a show with such potential while keeping many other crappy shows. Go figure.

11. helena says:

OMG !! I cannot believed!!! Why Human target????? I loved Human target.

12. flor says:

FOX I HATE YOU FOREVER! how could you do that? Lie to me? It was such a good showwwwwwww

13. Kat says:

I’m so upset about Human Target and Chicago Code getting cancelled! I’m tired of Fox giving up on shows that are different. These are both terrific programs and I’ve decided since Fox gave up on them, I’m giving up on Fox!!

14. Dawn says:

I love Chicago Code…. Why are all the good shows cancelled? Ugh!

15. susantampa says:

What a shame. I loved Lie to Me, Chicago Code. Enjoyed Human Target. I’ll never watch the Bones spinoff. It was painful to watch.

16. Bob says:

Blame it all on Kevin Reilly. He calls all the shots at Fox. If he can get a better deal with a new show than an old show, he’ll dump the old show quicker than dumping his own grandmother. It’s all about the green. Green, give me the Green!

17. jax1341 says:

Thanks FOX for freeing up 2 hours of my life a week. I really like both Chicago Code and Human Target, it’s a shame the network is giving up on such quality shows. I for one will skip a pointless Bones spin-off and continue (like the majority of people) to NOT watch Fringe.

• sarah h says:

Hey no reason to trash Fringe just because they canned your shows. I liked Human Target too, but Fringe aims a lot higher. And best of all, they both had Mark Valley, an awesome actor. Just hope to see Mark and Chi Chi and Jackie somewhere else soon.

18. April says:

You cancelled The Chicago Code and Human Target and kept Bones and a Bones spin-off; are you stupid? TCC is the best show I’ve seen in a long time and HT was awesome (although the direction it took with Ilsa Pucci was disappointing). This doesn’t leave much left to watch on Fox.

19. St.Jon Clark says:

Can’t believe they canceled Breaking In. It made Entertainment Weekly’s Must List for Pete’s sake. I loved it. What do ya’ gotta do Fox?

20. Brian says:

WHY CANCEL CHICAGO CODE? AWESOME SHOW. THEIR ARE OTHER SHOWS THAT CAN BE CANCELLED! KEEP CC GOING

21. raelee514 says:

Well, I am glad I didn’t watch Breakin In, no matter how tempted. And damn it on Lie To Me and Human Target, I love both those shows!

22. Caro says:

Major bummer!! I’ll miss “Lie to Me”!

23. Dave K says:

What is up with Fox? The bring out great shows and then dump them quickly but keep horrid trash like Running Wilde. Goodbye Chicago Code. I loved this show (finally a cop show with teeth) and it’s gone. FU FOX!

24. SAM says:

I’ll miss Lie To Me. I thought it was a great concept. I used to watch Human Target but fell out of it. I thought the uneven scheduling hurt both shows because I could never consistently know when the shows would come back.

I haven’t even got into the Chicago Code, and it’s cancelled…Life on FOX.

25. NF says:

dammmmmmmmmmn ! CHICAGO CODE WAS A FAV!!!!!!!! WAS REALLY HOPING FOR IT! ARGH!!!!!

26. Kevin says:

Ugh…Why cancel Human Target? I haven’t seen a show with this much mysteriousness, humor and action into one. After all those episodes we still do not know who Christopher Chance really is, same goes for the other ones. Guerrero is just a unique character, doubt there’s a character in any series who can beat him. The three of them were great but unfortunately some women came in, although I don’t mind it too much. Pucci was too much of a drama queen and kept a lot of action from the series, “dangerous this, rules that”. Ames was alright, got me some laughs.

Shoot Pucci and return HT like it used to be: a bunch of mysterious figures helping people in need and using every possible option that breaks the law while risking their lives?

Bad, bad, bad choice, missed potential.

27. Erin says:

What a bummer… I actually really liked Traffic Light, and was enjoying Breaking In. I am liking comedies more than drama right now, so I’m extra sad to see two more go!

28. Lorie says:

Dang! I really liked The Chicago Code.

29. Jill says:

Damn! I was enjoying The Chicago Code.

I guess I watch too much TV anyway, and one show fewer is probably a good thing…

30. Tna says:

I will miss Traffic Light and Breaking In. Very funny shows imo

31. Rachel Dunn says:

so they cancelled lie to me but think that “finder” show is going to do better?

NOT. HAPPY. i LOVED lie to me.

32. BillK says:

Sad to see Chicago Code go. They should have moved it to FX and let it be what the Shield used to be.

33. Andy says:

Fox made a HUGE mistake cancelling Human Target and Lie to Me. They just cut the amount of shows I watch on their network in half.

34. Kris says:

Lie to Me was my favorite show. It was the only show I watched on Fox. Their loss.

35. Fox Sucks the big one says:

Fox is run by a bunch of retarded, window licking, short bus riding idiots. Why anyone would approach Fox with a show is beyond me. These shows should take their ideas to another network and it’ll thrive (Family Guy). Then Fox will get down on their knees and take what’s given. This is continually the case.

36. Miv says:

Pretty gutted over Lie to Me, to be honest. I thought if they cancelled Human Target, Lie to Me was likely safe? Such a shame. Any chance of another network stepping in?

• Mackenzie says:

I sure hope so. Lie to Me is such a unique, amazing show and I’m crazy mad that they cancelled it.

37. NANCY says:

I AM NOT VERY HAPPY THAT THEY ARE CANCELLING THESE SHOWS. 18-40 YEAR OLDS ARE NOT THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO WATCH TV, MATTER OF FACT YOU GOT PEOPLE WHO MAY BE OLDER WHO REALLY HAVE LOTS OF MONEY TO BURN (COMERCIAL WISE)WHO ENJOY THESE SHOWS BECAUSE THEY MY NO LONGER HAVE AS MANY ADVENTURES AS THEY USED TO & LIVE VICARIOUSLY FOR THW THRILL THES SHOWS PROVIDE. I LOVE THE CHICAGO CODE, LIE TO ME & HUMAN TARGET WHICH HAD WONDERFUL EYE CANDY I ENJOYED SEEING ONCE A WEEK. FOX IS MESSED UP & I AM VERY UPSET, ITS LIKE WHEN THEY MOVED THE X-FILES FROM THE ORIGINAL DAY, I LOST INTEREST & HERE I GO AGAIN……

38. Vanessa says:

I was brought here by a link that said “‘killing spree’ over at Fox,” and remembered the show “Firefly.” *sadness*

39. Mackenzie says:

WHAT?!?! Lie To Me is cancelled!!!!! That is one of my favorite shows OF ALL TIME!!!!!! :( :( :( :( They got rid of Cal Lightman for the stupid “Finder guy” from Bones. :( :( :( :(

40. helena says:

I dont’t believe!!!!
    why Human target??? I loved human target

41. Ross says:

Soooo, they keep two shows that I cannot stand anymore and ditch 4 of my favorites. Sigh, I guess I do need to read more.

Thanks Fox.I hope you’re not putting on more competition shows. Please, please, oh please don’t.

42. Stephanie says:

Thanks, Fox. Now I’ll never know what was to become of Cal and Gillian.

43. prish says:

I have no more fun reading these sites now that Human Target is gone. I kept hoping and hoping. Please, suits, pick up Human Target on another channel. It is great!

44. Jaim says:

Everyone who wants to save The Chicago Code, go to the TNT channel site and send an e-mail letting them know that Fox’s hasty loss could be TNT’s gain. I am not on Twitter or Facebook but those who are start a TNT SAVE THE CHICAGO CODE campaign. We can get this great show back. Thanks everyone for your time.

45. GoodWtitchPA says:

And Fox cancels two of my favorite shows: HT and Lie to Me. As much as I love Bones, the spinoff looks way too much like a Burn Notice rip-off. Fox shoots themselves in the foot again. Ijits.

46. Katrina says:

I watch(ed) EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE!!! Darn you Fox!

47. Natalie says:

This makes me very upset. Lie to Me was one of my favorites, and it ended on such a cliff-hanger of an episode. Now we’ll never know what happened… :(

48. Mulder says:

Cancelling Chicago Code and picking up Finder, and Alcatraz will prove to be more mistakes for FOX. I predict Finder won’t last one season, nor will Alcatraz.

JJ Abrams is not a wunderkind, but he’s treated like one, and that’s the biggest mistake of all: believing that one creator/producer can be the savior of your self-inflicted problems.

When network executives try to out-think their viewers, it’s a sign of hubris; not listening to what viewers want or even understanding what they’re saying. That’s why perfectly good shows like Chicago Code get cancelled regardless of ratings, and replaced with more crap like “reality programming”.

49. chikenkicker says:

Loved lie to me and Chicago code really hate to see those 2 go. didn’t watch the others.

50. Odin says:

Fox sucks so much, they had to ruin the last season of Human Target with the stupid chick characters who added nothing but stupidity, tone down the violence and the dark nature of the show, and change the score on the show which used to have some the best scores on television, they ruined everything. I remember when they weren’t going to renew it for a second season and they were cramming Lie to Me down everyone’s throat but it had such a following they decided to bring both back. Fox tries to force crap like Lie to Me to everyone when they really wanted Human Target. To all the Fox network executives, You Suck. You did the same thing to Human Target that you did to Firefly, go back to sucking Seth Macfarlene’s sclong, that’s all you’re good at.