Fox Cancels Human Target, Lie To Me, Chicago Code, Two Others

Get More: Cancellations, News, Scoop

Fox went on a killing spree late Tuesday, canceling five bubble shows including Human Target and Lie to Me.

The network also axed freshman comedies Breaking In and Traffic Light as well as Shield creator Shawn Ryan’s rookie cop drama The Chicago Code.

Fox Renews Bones For Seventh Season

The cancellations come one week before Fox is set to unveil its fall schedule to advertisers.

Fox, however, was also in the mood for addition as well as subtraction, granting orders to several new series including the Bones spinoff and J.J. Abrams’ Alcatraz.

House Picked Up For Season 8

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect this evening’s bloodbath.

Comments (514)

• TRAFFIC LIGHT was really funny and under-appreciated. I actually think it’s my second favorite new comedy of the year, after Better With You. It deserved better – better publicity, better fate.

Comment by joblo – May 10, 2011 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just don’t understand why they’re cancelling Breakin In. It had a great cast, good comedic moments and I never missed an episode. It had such potential…more so than some generic reality crap that’s out there.

Comment by Kiera – May 10, 2011 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked Human Target but I had a feeling that because of how they added the love interest it took away from the show. Still, it deserved another shot. Chicago Code should’ve been renewed – bottom line. And that Bones spinoff – The Finder? NO.

Comment by sladewilson – May 10, 2011 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have adored Mark Valley since he guested on ONCE & AGAIN & thought HUMAN TARGET was kinda similar (action, humor, mystery). This is really disappointing, but I didn’t like the direction the show went in this season. There was nothing wrong with just the 3 male leads. Nice seeing Chi McBride & Jackie Earl Haley on tv again, too.

Comment by Diane D – May 10, 2011 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • TOTALLY AGREE! Rats!

Comment by Melanie – May 10, 2011 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the finder = P00P = criminal intent

Comment by ur dad – May 10, 2011 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is ridiculous. Not only was Breaking In probably the best new show of the season, but its first 5 episodes average 7.8 million viewers while Raising Hope, which not only got a full season but also a renewal, had more than a million less (6.6) viewers. Don’t get me wrong, Raising Hope’s a good show, but Breaking In is a borderline great show and deserved to at least finish its season before getting cancelled.

This season, Fox has probably made the most mistakes programming-wise, canceling Lone Star, the Good Guys, and now Breaking In, while keeping around shows of a much lesser quality such as Bob’s Burgers and the Cleveland Show.

Comment by Will the Cashew – May 10, 2011 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooooo! They cancelled Lie to Me…! Guess we’ll never have a proper ending…

Comment by Amely – May 10, 2011 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know :( I was so happy that Cal finally admitted his feelings, and that last scene was so heartfelt and beautiful! But sadly we’ll never see how it would have played out…

Comment by Jeanne – May 10, 2011 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Noooooooo was my reaction, too! I suppose a wrap-up episode is too much to ask for? I think networks would earn a lot of good will if they allowed cancelled shows to shoot series finales.

Comment by AlyssaG – May 11, 2011 05:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also, as much as I love Bones, I think that the spin off is awful. Can’t believe they axed Lie to me to put The finder on the schedule…

Comment by Amely – May 10, 2011 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen to that. I can’t understand why FOX would waste money into developing a new show that did not go over well with their target demographic, and axe a show that had a rather loyal following. Also, FOX needs to stop switching up it’s schedule(mainly to accommodate AI). If you kept a steady schedule, you wouldn’t have such an issue with dwindling ratings.

Comment by Corinne – May 10, 2011 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alright, who can I punch in the face about this?

Comment by Kristen – May 10, 2011 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m totally with you on this one

Comment by Amely – May 10, 2011 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stupid Fox has cancelled my favorite show Lie To Me… die bitches!!!

Comment by Dann – May 10, 2011 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was really starting to get into Traffic Light!!! Seriously Fox, the only show I watch on your network anymore is Glee. You are making poor decisions, clearly!

Comment by Dee – May 10, 2011 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Noooo… not Breaking In! Dang it! I was so attached to that show. Stupid Fox.

Comment by Heather – May 10, 2011 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dude, I’m totally chill. You chill. Yo.

Seriously, though. You can’t create characters, put them in one episode and call it a spin-off. The Cleveland Show, that’s a spin-off. See: Simpsons season 8, episode 24, “Spinoff Showcase”.

Comment by TigerNightmare – May 10, 2011 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO :( I was really holding out hope for Lie to Me

Comment by Lex – May 10, 2011 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Time to clean up the DVR.

Comment by Joanie – May 10, 2011 09:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stupid Fox! I am so mad right now! I love Lie to Me and The Chicago Code, and Human Target as well. I’ve also really been enjoying Breaking In. Even Traffic Light was funny.

Comment by Mikaylah – May 10, 2011 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe Lie To Me was canceled! :( I love that show!!

Comment by Erin – May 10, 2011 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a bloodbath. “24″ may have been canceled last year, but it seems they’re still employing Jack Bauer.

Comment by Shane – May 10, 2011 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of course they cancel the only unique show on tv…dammit I have watched lie to me from the beginning, can’t they at least give fans a proper sendoff

Comment by Jenn – May 10, 2011 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DAMN YOU FOX FOR CANCELLING “LIE TO ME”!!!!

Because heaven forbid your network should air shows that require higher brain function.

But I’m not surprised. We are talking about the same bonehead network that cancelled “Firefly” halfway through it’s 1st season (and no we’re never forget or forgive you for that)

Comment by Courtney – May 10, 2011 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am really, really disappointed about the cancellation of Chicago Code, it was appointment TV for my husband and I (and we only watch about 5 shows together). I just hate getting really into something and then having it yanked out from under me!!!

Comment by Diane – May 10, 2011 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree; my husband and I both really liked Chicago Code. The characters were so layered and becoming more and more well-developed.

Comment by Jana – May 10, 2011 11:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, merciless. I liked all 5 shows, especially Lie To Me and Human Target (though I’m with all of you that didnt like the Ilsa pucci character). Traffic light never got a fair chance, and was surprisingly funny, Breaking In was better than expected and Chicago Code was good even if it wasnt great (probably would have been a better FX show with less restrictions).

Comment by Doug – May 10, 2011 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did they renew Firefly?

Comment by Jason S – May 10, 2011 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ah… No.

What planet have u been living on?

Comment by Courtney – May 10, 2011 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • OH that sucks!! How about Lost? Will that be renewed for next season?

Comment by Jason S. – May 10, 2011 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooo!!! I’m so sad that they cancelled Lie To Me. It was one of my favorite shows. I thought it (or at least Tim Roth) was brilliant! I’m totally bummed now. I am actually OK with the Bones spinoff, though. I watched them introduce the characters on Bones and I love them. I think they’re interesting and clever and I love their little rapport. I also think the premise is (relatively, considering TV these days) novel.
    RIP LTM :(

Comment by Luna – May 10, 2011 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So I love how this article motives from “New Fox shows! With a couple of cancellations…” to “Fox Bloodbath!!!!!!!!! Oh yeah, they picked up a couple new shows too…”

Comment by Alex – May 10, 2011 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lol. I know, the back and forth changes on the homepage in the last hour have been kind of funny.

Comment by Tristan – May 10, 2011 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What the hell? They canceled Breaking In this soon? It constantly maintained its 7 million viewers after American Idol and actually went up a few points. Not to mention it was a pretty funny show. Watched Human Target but not surprised with its cancellation. Surprised with the Chicago Code and Lie to Me though.

Comment by Linda – May 10, 2011 09:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i did not watch any of these shows but i feel kind of sad reading all the comments. i feel bad for all the fans and the people that worked on these shows. hope this means a better chance for locke & key.

Comment by ZR – May 10, 2011 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ACK!!!! Lie to Me was one of the best shows in YEARS! Boo on Fox!

Comment by Hannah – May 10, 2011 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe they’re canceling The Chicago Code. It’s one of the best shows on TV!

Comment by Anon – May 10, 2011 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Noooooooo! I loved The Chicago Code! Man, why did they have to cancel it when it’s getting so good!

Comment by Melissa – May 10, 2011 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really heartbroken over Lie To Me. Not surprised, tbh, but I’m surprised Fringe was renewed when L2M brought in higher ratings.

Also, why are people hoping for a chance for renewal? I thought when FOX canceled a show, it meant that it was gone.

Comment by Em – May 10, 2011 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rats. I liked both HUMAN TARGET and LIE TO ME–the former in particular. I thought it really improved last season and was hopeful for another. I’m really going to miss it. I hope all five actors find their way into prime TV and film roles soon.

Comment by Cass – May 10, 2011 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What the hell FOX??? Lie to Me and Human Target were 2 of your best shows!

Comment by wtf – May 10, 2011 10:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • are you kidding me you said that Lie to me get 13 eps for season 4 and now you canceling it .. yall are stupid for doing that !! so dont cancel it put it back on!!!!

Comment by dede – May 10, 2011 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was already upset over the episodes of NCIS and NCIS: LA from last night, but now I’m astronomically upset.

I thought Lie To Me and Human Target were excellent, and though Human Target went downhill last season, they could of easily improved it and made a rebound.

Shame on you, Fox.

Comment by Brandon – May 10, 2011 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Human Target” was among the best action-adventure shows on TV, combining humor and intrigue in equal measure. Likewise, “The Chicago Code” was among the best cop shows in years, tough, gritty, well written. In the meantime, a show like “American Idol,” which highlights mediocre talents but probably costs Fox a tenth the amount of these other shows to produce, continues to pull in the ratings. It doesn’t say much for the taste of the American public or the integrity of the Fox Network.

Comment by John J. Puccio – May 10, 2011 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chicago Code should definitely be moved to TNT to join Southland. I loved this show and it really deserves another chance on a better network.

Comment by Jaim – May 10, 2011 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Horrible move by Fox to cancel them all. They always decide to cancel good shows for BRAND NEW Shows at a chance of a huge hit(Lone Star did so great). That is why I hate Fox.

Comment by Jason A – May 10, 2011 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fox really sucks as a network. Why do they cancel the good shows with good ratings and keep the crappy shows. Goddamn them for canceling Lie To Me. I loved that show; it had intelligence, good writing, great characters and interesting stories. All they have now are the animations – they should just become another Cartoon Network (well, more like Adult Swim) and leave the good shows for the networks or cable channels that will appreciate them.

Comment by Lucy – May 10, 2011 10:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish Fox would give these shows more time to grow and also promote them much more. A show like The X-Files wouldn’t last on Fox today. I’m actually surprised they at least allowed Fringe another season. But mostly I think that these tv execs don’t understand that the best shows take time to find a proper time and audience.

Comment by Jaim – May 10, 2011 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOO!! I LOVED CHICAGO CODE!!!

Comment by Maria – May 10, 2011 10:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RE: Cancellations

Congratulations, you’re screwing up your network. I think you’re relying too much on Fringe, Glee and American Idol. That and your schedule is up and down. Other networks DONT do this.
    As for the new additions I’ll reserve my judgement until I know more about them.

Comment by Shirley – May 10, 2011 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Have watched only a few episodes of ‘House’. Hugh Laurie is a great talent, but every time I see him I see Wodehouse’s favorite British Twit, Bertie Wooster from the old ‘Jeeves & Wooster’ series.

Gave up on ‘Bones’ after the most interesting character, Zach left.

Was really getting to like ‘The Chicago Code’ after FOX ‘re-tooled’ and dumbed down ‘Human Target’.

Comment by Jack Deth – May 10, 2011 10:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe they cancelled lie to me. I think it’s a shame; it was a great show.

Comment by Aurore – May 10, 2011 10:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sucks. Breaking In was consistently funny. :(

Comment by XK – May 10, 2011 10:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HEY CBS! take Lie to Me! Do it!

Comment by LIE TO ME?! NOOO! – May 10, 2011 10:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aw/: I really liked traffic light!

Comment by Joey – May 10, 2011 11:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any chance another network can pick up Human Target? USA perhaps. It’s a much better fit for that network anyway. They could dump that terrible Fairly Legal and replace it with Human Target.

Comment by Jon – May 10, 2011 11:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • While I love Human Target, I don’t think it’d do well on USA. Also, Fairly Legal has been renewed for season 2 and I enjoy it, and as much as I’ll miss Human Target, I wouldn’t want it to be replaced.

Comment by Brandon – May 10, 2011 11:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes I know Fairly Legal was renewed, but it’s still an insipid show.
        Human Target fits in perfectly with Burn Notice, Covert Affairs and White Collar.

Comment by Jon – May 11, 2011 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just realized there is now nothing I watch on Fox.

I liked Bones for its first few seasons, but gave up on it after the whole Zach mess.

Stopped watching House several seasons ago.

Liked Traffic Lights, Breaking In, Human Target (though Pucci’s addition sucked), and The Chicago Code. Glad to see none of them are making it to next season. Fox does it again!

Comment by XK – May 10, 2011 11:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sad to see at least half of those shows go…Lie to Me, The Chicago Code, Human Target. They were great. When FOX cancels a show, I always think that the shows would have better off on FX or another *cable* network. I’ll miss watching them. Guess I’d better savor those remaining episodes left in my queue on hulu.

Comment by emica – May 10, 2011 11:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post