Fox Cancels Human Target, Lie To Me, Chicago Code, Two Others

Fox went on a killing spree late Tuesday, canceling five bubble shows including Human Target and Lie to Me.

The network also axed freshman comedies Breaking In and Traffic Light as well as Shield creator Shawn Ryan’s rookie cop drama The Chicago Code.

Fox Renews Bones For Seventh Season

The cancellations come one week before Fox is set to unveil its fall schedule to advertisers.

Fox, however, was also in the mood for addition as well as subtraction, granting orders to several new series including the Bones spinoff and J.J. Abrams’ Alcatraz.

House Picked Up For Season 8

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect this evening’s bloodbath.

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Cancellations, News, Scoop

1. joblo says:

TRAFFIC LIGHT was really funny and under-appreciated. I actually think it’s my second favorite new comedy of the year, after Better With You. It deserved better – better publicity, better fate.

2. Kiera says:

I just don’t understand why they’re cancelling Breakin In. It had a great cast, good comedic moments and I never missed an episode. It had such potential…more so than some generic reality crap that’s out there.

3. sladewilson says:

I liked Human Target but I had a feeling that because of how they added the love interest it took away from the show. Still, it deserved another shot. Chicago Code should’ve been renewed – bottom line. And that Bones spinoff – The Finder? NO.

4. Diane D says:

I have adored Mark Valley since he guested on ONCE & AGAIN & thought HUMAN TARGET was kinda similar (action, humor, mystery). This is really disappointing, but I didn’t like the direction the show went in this season. There was nothing wrong with just the 3 male leads. Nice seeing Chi McBride & Jackie Earl Haley on tv again, too.

5. ur dad says:

the finder = P00P = criminal intent

6. Will the Cashew says:

This is ridiculous. Not only was Breaking In probably the best new show of the season, but its first 5 episodes average 7.8 million viewers while Raising Hope, which not only got a full season but also a renewal, had more than a million less (6.6) viewers. Don’t get me wrong, Raising Hope’s a good show, but Breaking In is a borderline great show and deserved to at least finish its season before getting cancelled.

This season, Fox has probably made the most mistakes programming-wise, canceling Lone Star, the Good Guys, and now Breaking In, while keeping around shows of a much lesser quality such as Bob’s Burgers and the Cleveland Show.

7. Amely says:

Nooooo! They cancelled Lie to Me…! Guess we’ll never have a proper ending…

• Jeanne says:

I know :( I was so happy that Cal finally admitted his feelings, and that last scene was so heartfelt and beautiful! But sadly we’ll never see how it would have played out…

• AlyssaG says:

Noooooooo was my reaction, too! I suppose a wrap-up episode is too much to ask for? I think networks would earn a lot of good will if they allowed cancelled shows to shoot series finales.

8. Amely says:

Also, as much as I love Bones, I think that the spin off is awful. Can’t believe they axed Lie to me to put The finder on the schedule…

• Corinne says:

Amen to that. I can’t understand why FOX would waste money into developing a new show that did not go over well with their target demographic, and axe a show that had a rather loyal following. Also, FOX needs to stop switching up it’s schedule(mainly to accommodate AI). If you kept a steady schedule, you wouldn’t have such an issue with dwindling ratings.

9. Kristen says:

Alright, who can I punch in the face about this?

10. Dann says:

Stupid Fox has cancelled my favorite show Lie To Me… die bitches!!!

11. Dee says:

I was really starting to get into Traffic Light!!! Seriously Fox, the only show I watch on your network anymore is Glee. You are making poor decisions, clearly!

12. Heather says:

Noooo… not Breaking In! Dang it! I was so attached to that show. Stupid Fox.

13. TigerNightmare says:

Dude, I’m totally chill. You chill. Yo.

Seriously, though. You can’t create characters, put them in one episode and call it a spin-off. The Cleveland Show, that’s a spin-off. See: Simpsons season 8, episode 24, “Spinoff Showcase”.

14. Lex says:

NO :( I was really holding out hope for Lie to Me

15. Joanie says:

Time to clean up the DVR.

16. Mikaylah says:

Stupid Fox! I am so mad right now! I love Lie to Me and The Chicago Code, and Human Target as well. I’ve also really been enjoying Breaking In. Even Traffic Light was funny.

17. Erin says:

I can’t believe Lie To Me was canceled! :( I love that show!!

18. Shane says:

What a bloodbath. “24” may have been canceled last year, but it seems they’re still employing Jack Bauer.

19. Jenn says:

Of course they cancel the only unique show on tv…dammit I have watched lie to me from the beginning, can’t they at least give fans a proper sendoff

20. Courtney says:

DAMN YOU FOX FOR CANCELLING “LIE TO ME”!!!!

Because heaven forbid your network should air shows that require higher brain function.

But I’m not surprised. We are talking about the same bonehead network that cancelled “Firefly” halfway through it’s 1st season (and no we’re never forget or forgive you for that)

21. Diane says:

Am really, really disappointed about the cancellation of Chicago Code, it was appointment TV for my husband and I (and we only watch about 5 shows together). I just hate getting really into something and then having it yanked out from under me!!!

• Jana says:

I totally agree; my husband and I both really liked Chicago Code. The characters were so layered and becoming more and more well-developed.

22. Doug says:

Wow, merciless. I liked all 5 shows, especially Lie To Me and Human Target (though I’m with all of you that didnt like the Ilsa pucci character). Traffic light never got a fair chance, and was surprisingly funny, Breaking In was better than expected and Chicago Code was good even if it wasnt great (probably would have been a better FX show with less restrictions).

23. Jason S says:

Did they renew Firefly?

24. Luna says:

Nooo!!! I’m so sad that they cancelled Lie To Me. It was one of my favorite shows. I thought it (or at least Tim Roth) was brilliant! I’m totally bummed now. I am actually OK with the Bones spinoff, though. I watched them introduce the characters on Bones and I love them. I think they’re interesting and clever and I love their little rapport. I also think the premise is (relatively, considering TV these days) novel.
    RIP LTM :(

25. Alex says:

So I love how this article motives from “New Fox shows! With a couple of cancellations…” to “Fox Bloodbath!!!!!!!!! Oh yeah, they picked up a couple new shows too…”

26. Linda says:

What the hell? They canceled Breaking In this soon? It constantly maintained its 7 million viewers after American Idol and actually went up a few points. Not to mention it was a pretty funny show. Watched Human Target but not surprised with its cancellation. Surprised with the Chicago Code and Lie to Me though.

27. ZR says:

i did not watch any of these shows but i feel kind of sad reading all the comments. i feel bad for all the fans and the people that worked on these shows. hope this means a better chance for locke & key.

28. Hannah says:

ACK!!!! Lie to Me was one of the best shows in YEARS! Boo on Fox!

29. Anon says:

I can’t believe they’re canceling The Chicago Code. It’s one of the best shows on TV!

30. Melissa says:

Noooooooo! I loved The Chicago Code! Man, why did they have to cancel it when it’s getting so good!

31. Em says:

Really heartbroken over Lie To Me. Not surprised, tbh, but I’m surprised Fringe was renewed when L2M brought in higher ratings.

Also, why are people hoping for a chance for renewal? I thought when FOX canceled a show, it meant that it was gone.

32. Cass says:

Rats. I liked both HUMAN TARGET and LIE TO ME–the former in particular. I thought it really improved last season and was hopeful for another. I’m really going to miss it. I hope all five actors find their way into prime TV and film roles soon.

33. wtf says:

What the hell FOX??? Lie to Me and Human Target were 2 of your best shows!

34. dede says:

are you kidding me you said that Lie to me get 13 eps for season 4 and now you canceling it .. yall are stupid for doing that !! so dont cancel it put it back on!!!!

35. Brandon says:

I was already upset over the episodes of NCIS and NCIS: LA from last night, but now I’m astronomically upset.

I thought Lie To Me and Human Target were excellent, and though Human Target went downhill last season, they could of easily improved it and made a rebound.

Shame on you, Fox.

36. “Human Target” was among the best action-adventure shows on TV, combining humor and intrigue in equal measure. Likewise, “The Chicago Code” was among the best cop shows in years, tough, gritty, well written. In the meantime, a show like “American Idol,” which highlights mediocre talents but probably costs Fox a tenth the amount of these other shows to produce, continues to pull in the ratings. It doesn’t say much for the taste of the American public or the integrity of the Fox Network.

37. Jaim says:

Chicago Code should definitely be moved to TNT to join Southland. I loved this show and it really deserves another chance on a better network.

38. Jason A says:

Horrible move by Fox to cancel them all. They always decide to cancel good shows for BRAND NEW Shows at a chance of a huge hit(Lone Star did so great). That is why I hate Fox.

39. Lucy says:

Fox really sucks as a network. Why do they cancel the good shows with good ratings and keep the crappy shows. Goddamn them for canceling Lie To Me. I loved that show; it had intelligence, good writing, great characters and interesting stories. All they have now are the animations – they should just become another Cartoon Network (well, more like Adult Swim) and leave the good shows for the networks or cable channels that will appreciate them.

40. Jaim says:

I wish Fox would give these shows more time to grow and also promote them much more. A show like The X-Files wouldn’t last on Fox today. I’m actually surprised they at least allowed Fringe another season. But mostly I think that these tv execs don’t understand that the best shows take time to find a proper time and audience.

41. Maria says:

NOOO!! I LOVED CHICAGO CODE!!!

42. Shirley says:

RE: Cancellations

Congratulations, you’re screwing up your network. I think you’re relying too much on Fringe, Glee and American Idol. That and your schedule is up and down. Other networks DONT do this.
    As for the new additions I’ll reserve my judgement until I know more about them.

43. Jack Deth says:

Have watched only a few episodes of ‘House’. Hugh Laurie is a great talent, but every time I see him I see Wodehouse’s favorite British Twit, Bertie Wooster from the old ‘Jeeves & Wooster’ series.

Gave up on ‘Bones’ after the most interesting character, Zach left.

Was really getting to like ‘The Chicago Code’ after FOX ‘re-tooled’ and dumbed down ‘Human Target’.

44. Aurore says:

I can’t believe they cancelled lie to me. I think it’s a shame; it was a great show.

45. XK says:

This sucks. Breaking In was consistently funny. :(

46. LIE TO ME?! NOOO! says:

HEY CBS! take Lie to Me! Do it!

47. Joey says:

Aw/: I really liked traffic light!

48. Jon says:

Any chance another network can pick up Human Target? USA perhaps. It’s a much better fit for that network anyway. They could dump that terrible Fairly Legal and replace it with Human Target.

• Brandon says:

While I love Human Target, I don’t think it’d do well on USA. Also, Fairly Legal has been renewed for season 2 and I enjoy it, and as much as I’ll miss Human Target, I wouldn’t want it to be replaced.

• Jon says:

Yes I know Fairly Legal was renewed, but it’s still an insipid show.
        Human Target fits in perfectly with Burn Notice, Covert Affairs and White Collar.

49. XK says:

Just realized there is now nothing I watch on Fox.

I liked Bones for its first few seasons, but gave up on it after the whole Zach mess.

Stopped watching House several seasons ago.

Liked Traffic Lights, Breaking In, Human Target (though Pucci’s addition sucked), and The Chicago Code. Glad to see none of them are making it to next season. Fox does it again!

50. emica says:

I’m sad to see at least half of those shows go…Lie to Me, The Chicago Code, Human Target. They were great. When FOX cancels a show, I always think that the shows would have better off on FX or another *cable* network. I’ll miss watching them. Guess I’d better savor those remaining episodes left in my queue on hulu.