Exclusive

Scoop: House Renewal Imminent as Robert Sean Leonard and Omar Epps Ink New Deals

House co-stars Robert Sean Leonard and Omar Epps have closed deals to return for the series’ upcoming eighth (and likely final) season, which is thisclose to being a reality as a renewal agreement between Fox and House producer Universal Media Studios is being finalized tonight.

Leonard (who recently told TVLine that he was on the fence about doing another season), Epps and Lisa Edelstein are the three original cast members whose current deals expire at the end of this season. Edelstein’s deal is still not done, with the process delayed by the fact that she has been overseas. However, she is expected to close. Star Hugh Laurie has one more year on his contract, and newer cast members such as Olivia Wilde also have more time.

For more details on this story, head over to Deadline.com.

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, News, Renewals, Scoop

1. cliff says:

huh? I thought RObert Sean Leonard was leaving hosue and that he already filmed his last episode?

2. Sam says:

What about Jesse Spencer??? I want him on the show!!!
    He is the only one of House’s team who is not old or super boring! Without him the show is dead for me!

• Illel says:

Why don’t you watch “grey’s anatomy” ????

• Bob says:

Sometimes writers don’t spell everything out in an article. You have to pick things up by inference. The contracts for Epps, Edelstein and Leonard are the only ones up for renewal at the end of this season. The inference being no other cast member’s contract is up for renewal. So, calm down, Jesse Spencer isn’t going anywhere.

3. Ione_Ibsen says:

The wait during negotiations has been killing me. Thank you for the info. Lisa E. needs to be brought back too. She’s the best.

4. pax says:

I’m so glad it’s almost over! Just as long as LE and RSL are there next season I’ll be watching.

• Alicia says:

Preach! However the situation seems to be turning into a royal mess of a clusterf-ck; trying to cut costs by reducing ORIGINAL cast member’s salaries AND screen time?!! They better make the final season something really special and PLAN AHEAD.
      I will flip a bitch if they “use up” all of LE and RSL’s screen time in early eps and then just leave them out of the end of the season.
      Please Shore and Co, don’t f-ck this up!

• sarahyael says:

Too late. They f*cked it up in the season 7 opener. I wish they’d just let it die a quiet death instead of prolonging the agony with this soap opera BS.

5. Mia C says:

Jesse Spencer better be in season 8 or I’m going to freak out

• Nikki says:

This.

• Bob says:

See response above for Jesse Spencer status.

• Nikki says:

Speaking for myself, I want Jesse Spencer back because he is a great actor and actually has talent, which cannot be said about a certain up-coming movie star on the show. It’s a mystery to me why they would want to keep her. She’s had a contract for S7 but was hardly in it, now she’s back and the ratings are sliding down again. Just release her and let her persue her career, playing robots and video game characters, and bring back House into a character study of the people in this show. It used to be great as long as they didn’t concentrate too heavily on the shipper stuff and the useless effort to make Thirteen a viewer’s favourite.

6. Karen says:

No LE and I stop watching. Period. End of story. I’m also glad that RSL was willing to come back at his old salary after it seemed like he drew his line in the sand a few weeks back. The show needs him. The show must have HL, RSL and LE.

• Cassidy G. says:

Yep. I wonder how aware of their audience they are? I’ve really been missing Lisa these recent episodes. She brings something great to the show. Without her it feels like a testosterone overkill. I love the guys, and I love House, & Wilson’s great, but Cuddy is irreplaceable.

• Liz says:

Are you kidding me?! House is the only irreplacable person in this show! And Wilson to some extent. Cuddy is the most replacable person EVER.

• max says:

liz, chillax, dude. it’s okay if she likes someone you don’t and thinks they’re irreplaceable. her opinion is just as valid as yours.

i like Cuddy too. h/c/w are why i watch. without them i wouldn’t bother.

7. lprianne says:

I love, love the House Team they are so awesome together, working as 1 team that’s what its all about making it all work and I hope when its my daughters trun it will ne just like that (: And ya I know it just a show but I love it.

8. Lucie says:

Cuddy is the only original female left on the cast. She’s also the best character next to House and then Wilson. So I really hope they sign her back on. I hope that just because she’s a girl that her importance as a character isn’t underestimated. Because this article makes me worry that she is undervalued.

• astra says:

**Cuddy is the only original female left on the cast.**
      Because TPTB are horrible people so they trampled the sweet Jennifer Morrison

• Nisha says:

Agreed.Personally I think Cameron added more to the show than Cuddy did. If anyone doubts it rewatch the first 3 seasons, Cameron was amazing.

• Alex says:

I don’t agree. Cameron had potential to be a great character, but they flattened her out. Any development that could have been interesting was cut short or reset. Not sure who is at fault here, the actress or the writing. Probably the combination of both, since actors inspire the writing in one way or another. Too bad.

• Alicia says:

Cameron AND Cuddy are both amazing. I miss Cam and it’s probably not going to happen, but it would be incredible if they could get JMo back for an ep or two considering this is likely the last season.

9. Carrie says:

I want Jesse Spencer! If he is not in it, there would be no more reason to watch for me.

• un-holy says:

Yeah, where is Jesse’s contract deal? I couldn’t watch the show without him.

• Nikki says:

I really want them to bring back the Dr. Chase that I grew to love during S1-6. What they did with him in the current season is a joke for any decent actor who can play drama and emotion so well as Jesse Spencer does. Just re-watched The Tyrant from S6 again and he was awesome. If they give him back his depth and more screen time, probably with House instead of Foreman and the boring & cliched Mary Sue character of Thirteen, then I really do hope that Jesse’s going to be in another season. If he isn’t because they can no longer ‘afford’ him but keep Olivia Wilde instead, then I’ll quit. Make it the Thirteen show for good and keep reminding the audience that House so cares for Thirteen because she is so like him and don’t forget to mention every five minutes how hot she is, and I will gladly move on.

• un-holy says:

Jeez relax, Thirteen was barely on the show this season. I want everyone to come back (well, ok I could have done without Foreman if I’m being totally honest) but they must even the screentime more of each cast member. And again, for the sake of complete honesty I really want Lisa Edelstein back, but with much much less screentime for her, I really can’t stand the total focus on her character the past few seasons.

• Mary says:

I agree so much it hurts, especially about Chase. I’ll admit Thirteen is growing on me, but it’s a fine line right now, and I fear more exposure will retreat to the early days of Thirteen. But Chase–I kept expecting a dramatic storyline for him this season, even a small one, but got nothing. Just an acknowledgment of the events of The Tyrant, hints that his decision still effects him, would’ve been nice. More than my-wife-left-so-I’ll-drown-my-sorrows-in-hot-women.

• Bob says:

See response to Sam above for Jesse Spencer.

10. Dan says:

Man I hope they bring back LE/Cuddy. I have sorely missed her presence recently. Luckily next week’s episode has her and House being wicked crazy. Those two elements are all I needed to watch. But her being so MIA lately really helps me realize how sucky next season would be without her. She’s a must have.

11. Amber says:

I kind of had a feeling Robert Sean Leonard’s drama about leaving the show was just publicity ploy to get the upper hand in negotiations. I’m suspicious that’s really what was going on there. But if it was, more power to him!

12. Sally says:

To be honest, I’m sick of Cuddy and I really hope she will leave. She’s the most replacable person left.
    I’m so glad to hear RSL will be back though. No House without Wilson, Holmes needs Watson!

13. Brooklyn says:

Hope Lisa signs back on soon. Won’t be able to rest easy till she does. I’m glad things finally look like they’re getting settled with the show.

14. pia says:

I’d throw a party if LE would leave!!! The end of the awful,neverending Huddy would save the show in my honest opinion.

Glad that RSL doesn`t leave the show but what about Jesse Spencer?

15. Kate says:

‘Edelstein’s deal is still not done, with the process delayed by the fact that she has been overseas. However, she is expected to close’
    I’m so glad. Cuddy is awesome. :)

16. Lurker says:

I’m glad RSL will be back. LE can go, as far as I’m concerned. She adds nothing to the show. It was much better when she had less screentime. They can get someone else to play the Dean of Medicine. Maybe that would breathe some life back into this show.

17. says:

One more year of “House” is about 3 years too many. It is simply AMAZING how much life the program has exhibited, considering it jumped the shark (for the first time) 3 years back and then jumped into the tank with the shark not long after (visions of Amber, anyone?). Now don’t get me wrong, I am all for milking the cash cow until nothing but pennies are falling into the bucket, and everyone is entitled to dip in, but…c’mon.

18. vala509 says:

Taub, Foreman, Cuddy, 13 and Chase don’t count.
    House and Wilson rulez.

19. Lilly says:

Is Jesse Spencer still with the show? He is the best duckling ever. Foreman is boring-boring-boring, Taub is so old and has like the same storyline for 4 years, 13 who? Chase is cute and hot and young and sexy! He has to “STAY!!!”

20. Jenny says:

Thank God! The series is not the same without my favorite bromance: House and Wilson! I was worried there’d be no Wilson, but I can breathe a sigh of relief now!

21. Talia_** says:

bring back jennifer morrison!!!

22. Jane2 says:

I hope we get news about Lisa E soon! Cuddy is the reason I still pay attention to this show.

23. CC says:

I just don’t like Cuddy anymore. The dynamic between her and house was more interesting when she was just trying to keep him from doing illegal stuff. They suck and are horrid as a couple, and now she always seems to have a stick up her rear. She isn’t a fun character at all anymore. I hope that contract is never signed. They could really do something fun and interesting replacing the dean of medicine with someone else!

• un-holy says:

It’s kind of sad for me personally, but I agree. I think I could like her again if she returns next season, but the TPTB really have to reduce her screetime a lot. The total focus on her character has been very annoying.

24. andrew says:

YAY WIIILLLSSSSOOONNNN

25. Lisa says:

Bring Cameron back!

26. wtf says:

OMAR EPPS WAS OVERSEAS TOO, JUST SAYIN’

27. Carol says:

The fact that you mention RSL, OE & LE are the “three original cast members whose current deals expire at the end of this season”, I take that to mean that Jesse Spencer had already signed for season 8. Please confirm this since he is the main reason I watch ‘House’.

28. DanieGermany says:

So glad that those nervewrecking negotiations will soon be over.

I could’ve done without Foreman, Taub and 13, but Lisa E and Jesse Spencer definately have to return next year.

The show is nothing without the House/Cuddy/Wilson dynamics and I’m sure Lisa will sign a well-deserved improved contract soon.

Can’t wait for Season 8 (which I hope will be 24 eps of awesomeness)

Hugh Laurie is my hero :-)

29. jrs says:

Glad to hear about RSL…not so much about Epps – I don’t like him; never have; never will. But, as a loyal fan of this show over the years, I’m ready for it to end next year. These last few episodes have barely held my attention; and last night I noticed I really couldn’t wait for the hour to be over. And, yes, Hugh Laurie totally rocks!

30. maggie says:

As long as House and Wilson are there, I’m there.

31. tahina says:

Since season 8 seems to be the last, I bet everyone will be back, so dont be surprise if more than the regular cast comes back! surprise!!

32. Thyme says:

I hope they sign Lisa Edelstein soon. Her presence is essential to the humanity and spark of the show. I am glad that both OE and RSL have been signed already. While I would certainly miss Omar if he wasn’t coming back, in all honesty it has seemed as if RSL was phoning in his performance all season. He seems bored with Wilson and therefore so am I. For me the essentials are Hugh Laurie and Lisa Edelstein, the rest of the cast are tasty icing on an intriguing and substantial cake.

33. Leiney says:

I don’t like having to read between the lines. Can someone actually confirm Jesse Spencer’s status?

34. jhon says:

Jennifer Morrison el patito mas bello de house

35. Vero says:

A Huddy- and Cuddy-free season 8 would be great.