Meredith Vieira Confirms Today Departure, Ann Curry Named New Co-Anchor

It’s official. I mean, we knew it was coming — the buzz was so loud, I think I lost hearing in one ear. But now it’s a done deal: In June, Meredith Vieira will be leaving her anchor seat at Today to Ann Curry.

In the shuffle, the show’s current third-hour co-host, Natalie Morales, has been made news anchor. Taking her old gig will be NBC News White House correspondent Savannah Guthrie.

“This is a difficult day for me,” Vieira told viewers on today’s Today. “I’m going to try to hold myself together here. But after months of personal reflection and private conversations between my family and my friends, I’ve decided to leave Today in June… I’ve really had a great time, but time is one of those weird things; you can never get enough of it. And it just keeps ticking away, and I know that I want to spend more of mine with my husband, Richard, and my kids, Ben, Gabe and Lily.”

What do you think? Will you miss Vieira every Today? Or are you happy to see Curry get her due?

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: News, Scoop

1. J says:

Ann Curry has definately put in her dues, but she should not be getting this job. She can not do a live interview well at all. She is great on pre taped pieces and her work off the Today show is great.. but every time she interviews live I find myself fast forwarding. Guess I’m going to GMA in June.

• B says:

Totally with you. If she didn’t get it when Katie left, she shouldn’t get it now.

• Leahei says:

Totaly agree. I don’t watch now when Ann Curry is filling in and wont watch anymore at all. I used to really enjoy Today but anymore it is just another celebrity show…we want the NEWS! That said, I won’t miss Meridith either. She is a mean “I am woman, hear me roar” bore. Poor Matt.

2. bmospr04 says:

I believe Meredith wasn’t as likable as Katie Couric ever was. For die hard Today show fans, it was a shock when Ann got pass over the first time. Happy to see Ann as the co anchor and to see the others make the switch. The key when Matt leaves who will replace him. I say Lester Holt but they might try and go younger. Who knows? Maybe the retooling could hurt them too.

3. Jared says:

Ann Curry has always been my favorite anchor on Today. This is well deserved for her. I will love Ann and Matt together.

4. april-ann says:

There’s no question that Ann Curry is lovely and pleasant, knowledgeable and smart, and that this is well deserved and that she has earned the position. However, “pleasant” won’t grab viewers’ attention enough to keep the ratings up there. Unfortunately, for the morning shows as well, ratings matter. The other networks’ morning shows will no doubt be happy to hear of this decision.

5. Jon says:

Meredith will be missed. I loved her on Today. I thought she was excellent. I also adore Ann Curry. I know she will do a wonderful job.

6. Michael says:

Ann talks entirely too fast. She’ll say ‘good morning’ about three times in half a second. Okay, that’s a slight exaggeration, but she speaks entirely too quickly.

I’ll miss Meredith. She’s always fun, but she knows when to get serious, too. She had that on The View and she brought it to Today.

• McFly says:

Agree about talking too fast. I notice it when she fills in from Brian Williams on Nightly News. She sounds like she has rocks in her mouth. I think she is trying too hard. I would have preferred either Savannah Guthrie or Natalie Morales over Ann Curry. Or even Kate Snow.

• mike says:

My wife turns the station when Ann Curry is co host. We both agree Natalie Morales would have been a better choice. I think they will loose some viewers. You know even Hoda would have been good but our vote remains Natalie.

7. Sharon says:

I just don’t see Ann Curry next to Matt every day. She has no chemistry with anyone and talks so fast it is impossible to connect with her. I seriously hope this is a temporary thing while NBC keeps looking.

• Jim says:

Ann is a camera hog. All she wants is air time. It is obvious to me that there is no chemistry with Matt. Ann will have a very negative effect on Today’s ratings.

• Carolina says:

I agree…Ann is not good enough to be co-anchor with Matt. Good at the story pieces that require sympathy since she’s always saying “hmmm”….but does not have the charisma to carry the show!!!

8. Renee says:

I will really miss Meredith, but totally respect her reasons. And I’m glad Ann got the job she’s paid her dues.

9. Lola says:

I personally never got over Katie Couric leaving. I hate the Meredith only works 4 days a week, but I don’t know about Ann Curry in this position. I’m bummed that they’ve fussed with my show. Now how will I ever wake up? If Matt leaves, that’ll be the end.

10. Ringgold and Tuscaloosa Rocks says:

Right after the announcement I switched to GMA and will stay there. Ann interrupts the interviewees and talks too fast. Like other posters I cringe when she subs in the co-anchor spot. I am baffled why the TS producers don’t see this flaw.

11. pcfltvfan says:

I will not miss Meredith – she was okay but I didn’t care for the chemistry between Matt and her. Meanwhile, Ann Curry is just the worst. Her interviews drive me to other channels. Just so drippy. I don’t know who else – maybe someone completely new. Hey, I think Maria Shriver is available. The Today show has too many stories about Lindsay, Kate plus eight, trashy murder stories. Bleah. I sometimes turn on Angel–dark, campy vamp is preferable to stories about useless starlets.

12. R says:

Ann Curry makes me want to vomit, particularly her interviews. I’ll not be watching.

13. Converse says:

Shame on you NBC for letting Ann Curry fill such an important spot in the mornings. I’m sure you know Ann has absolutely no skills as an interviewer. She is ill-mannered, far from authentic and boring! I guess the clause she managed to win in her contract spoke louder than your common sense. You surely lost a loyal viewer. Poor Matt!!!

14. CM says:

Completely agree with R — Ann Curry gives me the dry heaves ESPECIALLY when trying to interview anyone. Goodbye Today.

15. maureen says:

sooooo glad ann curry is finally getting anchor for Today show.. I really wanted her in the first place……like meredith, but really like Ann……she has earned it!!!!

16. M.B. Patterson says:

Meredith Viera was lovely, smart, warm and witty, and professional!!! Ms. Curry has pawed male visitors, leaned over them, flirted outrageously which, for me at least, completely disqualified her for this job long ago. Except it won’t matter for me. I’ve already gone over to GMA. Good Morning, America!!!!

17. brenda says:

I will no longer watch, tried the first week without Meredith and cannot take it. Poor Matt, I love him and will miss him but Ann Curry has got to go. She has no personality, show is sooooooooooo boring now.

18. Genevieve says:

I have been a fan of Today for years. I really missed Katie Couric when she left, but Meredith quickly drew me in with her ability to do live interviews and also her ability to keep things light and fun as appropriate. I very much enjoyed the less serious side of Meredith and Matt together. I definitely do NOT see Anne Curry as a step in as co-anchor with Matt. I like Anne, but she is uninteresting, not good with live interviews and really doesn’t have the TV Presence to command viewers to watch. Sad to say, but I’m going over to GMA.

19. W Fleming says:

I’m not sure what it is about Anne….I just don’t enjoy listening to her on the Today show. She doesn’t seem to connect very well with people, awkward. Watching Savannah, I think she may be a better choice. Really I liked Meredith and Katie so much better!

20. happy pup says:

seniority as a reason for promotion makes no sense. savannah guthrie is sharp as a korean kitchen knife, natalie morales is another great choice. But Ann Curry??? what were you thinking NBC??