Kelly Vs. Jordin! Fantasia Vs. Tamyra! Idol's Greatest Performance Tourney Continues!

The Great Lady Tour is the unofficial theme of today’s Round 3 matchups in’s American Idol All-Time Greatest Performance Bracket Tournament. We’ve got the winners of Season 1 and Season 6 in a head-to-head battle, while Season 3’s champ takes on the shock evictee of the show’s inaugural installment. How many devastating glory notes are delivered over the course of these four performances? Only a math major can tell us for sure.

Anyhow, once you’re done pondering the awesomeness of Kelly, Jordin, Fantasia, and Tamyra, you’ll need to get voting in the latest set of single-elimination faceoffs to decide which Idol Moments will become Quarterfinalists in our 64-player tourney. Every day around 1:00 p.m. ET over the next few weeks, we’ll launch a new set of duels to the death, so be sure to keep coming back and making sure your favorites advance.

Elliott Yamin Vs. Adam Lambert! David Cook Vs. Bo Bice!
Idol’s Best Tourney Enters Round 3!

Before you head to the polls, you may want to peruse these memory-refreshing links to the performances entering the ring this afternoon:

Performance Links!
Fantasia Barrino, ”Summertime” (Movie Night)
Tamyra Gray, “A House Is Not a Home
Kelly Clarkson – “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman
Jordin Sparks – “I Who Have Nothing

It’s gonna be brutal seeing two of those great Idol moments fail to crack the final eight, no? So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Voting will be open for 48 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

Crystal vs. Allison! Melinda vs. Diana!
Vote Now as the Idol Bracket Tourney Continues!

And if you’re interested in the matchups we’ve got planned for the coming weeks and how the early rounds of matchups played out, click here to check out the entire 64-player bracket (then click again for a zoomed in view), and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Jaime says:

When are you gonna put those videos about Idol? I can’t wait for them to be uploaded already.

• TrueT says:

SO not fair that Tamyra’s House has to face Fantasia’s Summertime in this round. They are both in my top 5. IMO Tamyra’s HiNaH still stands as the best idol performance ever. I bet had she won her season, she’d sweep this competition.

• ThereasonsY says:

I agree – it is so weird to me that these titan matches are already happening. Like Bo Bice’s In A Dream holds a candle to any of these four performances?

• takakupo says:

Really? Tamyra’s House is not a Home is really not that great. It’s kinda soulless :(

2. Paul says:

I had to vote for Kelly. Though personally, I do prefer “Stuff Like That There” over “Natural Woman”, but she was just so darn great every week. She paved the way for all future Idols– without her talent & success, Idol would not be what it is today!

I love Tamyra’s performance, and as much as I was gunning for LaToya/Diana instead of Fantasia, I had to give it to Fantasia. Just a classy performance; one of the few that I really did enjoy her. But it’s a hard one because Tamyra’s performance was just SO excellent as well.

• G-Mom says:

I agree! If Kelly hadn’t been so great and won American Idol, it wouldn’t be where it is today. She was a really DESERVING winner. I also like “Stuff” better than “Natural Woman” even though both were GREAT. It was really different from all the other songs she sang. I really hope Kelly wins this contest – she really is the best by far!!

• Blair says:

I know what you mean, Paul. But there’s another way of looking at your comment and saying that Kelly had nothing to do with the way Idol is today. And I mean that in a positive way as far as Kelly is concerned. I really don’t know how Idol turned out to be the way it is today, but I wish that fundamentally, Idol would return to the days of when Kelly was on the show, before it became so jaded and corrupt. As the song goes, “Those Were The Days”.

3. Kathryn says:

Tamyra Gray was robbed. That is all (and yes I still haven’t gotten over it LOL)

4. AMY says:

Please update date the full 64-tourney bracket. I like to see whose won and whose lost in the head-to-heads so far and remind myself who I voted for that didn’t make it through.

5. Nancy says:

I hate the song “A House is Not a Home” with a passion, but not nearly as much as I need Fantasia to GO DOWN!!!

6. D says:

Yes Kelly is great and she was very consistent but not a single one of her performances, holds a candle to ‘I Who Have Nothing.’ Theres simply no comparison, Kelly is getting the votes because she is the winner and all of her performances were great, but if were talking the BEST performance, Jordin rightfully deserves to go forward.

• Meghan says:

THIS. 100% agree, I Who Have Nothing is getting robbed because its Kelly. Vote for the performance people!!

• JBanana says:

I did vote the performance. I wholehartedly prefer “Natural Woman”, believe it or not. “I Who Have Nothing” is a perfectly fine performance, but I wouldn’t put it as one of my faves. It’s just not one I’m interested in watching over and over again. But we’ve all got different tastes.

• Shelby says:

Natural Woman was an incredible performance and the tone of Kelly’s voice can not be beaten by anyone else that has ever been on the Idol stage. I’d love to hear Kelly sing “I Who Have Nothing” because that is an incredible song. Anyone would sound impressive (if they hit the notes) singing that one. One day we may hear Kelly’s rendition and with her tone it would blow all others out of the water.

• GinaBallerina says:

I love both Kelly and Jordin, and Kelly’s “Stuff Like That There” would easily hold its own against “I (Who Have Nothing),” if it had gone forward. A tournament without “Stuff Like That There” making it to the finals is a real shame.

As it stands, Kelly/Jordin is the first match-up that has really made me whine. “(You Make me Feel Like a) Natural Woman” is the performance that turned me into a Kelly fan and to this day she is one of my absolute favorite singers. I really like Jordin, too. Her performance is probably the better one if I’m really being objective. However, if Kelly’s “Without You” (or “Stuff Like That There”) were in this poll, there would be no contest.

• aislinn says:

Yeah, I thought the bracket was supposed to be about best performances, not favorite contestant. Jordin’s performance on “I Who Have Nothing” is stellar – I might have had a harder time choosing if Kelly’s “Stuff Like That There” had made it through(much stronger performance for Kelly), but Jordin’s performance in this specific song is better than “Natural Woman”

• Yael says:

I think ‘Stuff Like That There’ would be easy to choose – . when the choice is between this Jordin’s performance and Natural Woman of Kelly, I definitely think Jordin’s performance is stronger. I voted for Jordin and for Fantasia

7. Davers says:

Kelly v. Jordin was tough. I ended up voting for Kelly (as Paul put it, I “had to vote for Kelly) even though I actually prefer IWHN to NW. I’m not sure if that’s breaking the rules, but Kelly was really, hands-down the best, most consistent Idol performer ever, and that needs to be rewarded. I would pick SLTT or You’re All I Need to Get By over NW…As for Jordin, IWHN was spectacular, but it was really the only performance of hers that I think still stands up today.

• Meghan says:

Seriously? You just admitted you liked Jordins better but voted for Kelly? Its best performance, not best Idol. Stop talking about who had the better trajectory and vote for what matters in terms of the performance, lame.

• Exactly. Even though Kelly is my favorite Idol, Jordin’s I Who Have Nothing was one of the best and I had to vote for it. You vote for the best moment, and Kelly’s overall run was better than Jordin, but Jordin’s one performance killed Kelly’s.

• Davers says:

“Seriously?” “lame” – any more tired internet chat room cliches for me? Calm down. I can vote however I like, and I wanted to give my vote to Kelly. I think we have to consider these performances in the context of an Idol’s run too. YMMV.

8. PFitz says:

The entire bracket REALLY needs updating….someone is waaaaay behind…..

9. John says:

Hardest votes yet. I can’t believe “Summertime” beat “I Believe” in the first place, but Tamyra killed it with “House.” Same challenge with Jordin vs Kelly, but the shock of seeing Kelly nail “Natural Woman” in season one takes the cake.

10. Marta says:

I’m just chiming in with what other posters are saying…. Listen, in many different avenues there is nothing better than Kelly Clarkson— but in my opinion in terms of best performances on Idol (and I’m know I’m not alone)– I Who Have Nothing is better than Natural Woman. If you agree… Jordin!!

11. MarkW says:

Am I the only person who found Kelly’s high note in Natural Woman to be painfully flat? Ruins the performance for me…

• Ted says:

Not the only one. Sure its a good vocal but from the whole look of it all to that note to the guy ruining up at the end, it just doesnt hold a candle to Jordin’s opus..

12. D says:

Sorta unrelated to this article but in terms of the whole bracket my prediction for the final two is either Mad World v. Summertime, or Always be my baby v. Alone. Any variation of those 4 seem to be the most obvious. My personal two are ‘I Who Have Nothing’ and ‘Paint it Black’ but thats just me!

13. Brecken P says:

Honestly, I was never a fan of that high-pitched squeal Kelly threw into “Natural Woman.” Yes, the rest of the performance was great (like most of her performances), but that note pushes it below her other great performances like “Stuff Like That There,” “Respect,” and “I Surrender.” If the first two had been the Clarkson song here, I would have had a much tougher time deciding–I think SLTT is in the all-time Idol Top 10, and “I (Who Have Nothing)” is right up there, as well, but Jordin’s performance wins easily for me against this particular Clarkson performance. Too bad it looks like it’s going down.

“Summertime” vs. “A House Is Not A Home” was a brutal choice. But while AHINAH is a definite contender for the all-time top 10, “Summertime” is a shoo-in and possibly the best performance overall, so I voted for it.

• Chip says:

I feel that if more people knew the technique of ‘scooping’ up the to that high note, they wouldn’t think it was butchered. I strongly weigh ‘difficulty in replicating’ in my assessment of these performances, and I believe Kelly’s performance would be harder for another Idol to replicate than the other offerings (I admit the others could not be replicated with much success either, but I think the divide is wider with Natural Woman).

• Brecken P says:

I didn’t say it was butchered. It just wasn’t pleasant to my ears, and that’s all that really matters to me in music. Jacob Lusk had amazing range and could do stuff with his voice that few can, but it was often unpleasant to listen to.

• MarkW says:

I just don’t think that note was intentionally “scooped”, though. To me it sounded like she missed, then recovered.

Intentional or not, though, it just didn’t hit my ear right.

14. MT says:

Oh gosh, this was the hardest decision yet!!