Exclusive

Gossip Girl Exclusive: Taylor Momsen and Jessica Szohr Not Returning For Season 5

Spotted: Two fewer troublemakers on the Upper East Side.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Gossip Girl is parting ways with Taylor Momsen (Jenny) and Jessica Szohr (Vanessa).

A source close to the show confirms that the two actresses will not be returning as series regulars for the CW soap’s upcoming fifth season, but added that both have been invited back on a guest star basis.

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Grey’s Anatomy, Chuck, Community, Parks and Recreation and More!

The insider also confirms that GG‘s core five — Blake Lively (Serena), Leighton Meester (Blair) Penn Badgley (Dan), Ed Westwick (Chuck) and Chace Crawford (Nate) — will all be back in the fall. Additionally, Kaylee DeFer — who joined the cast this spring as Serena’s rabble-rousing cousin Charlie — has been promoted to series regular status.

Glee Exclusive: Look Who’s Returning!

The departures of Momsen and Szohr hardly come as a complete surprise. Momsen — who has made no secret of her desire to make music her primary focus — has appeared in only a handful of episodes this season. Similarly, Szohr’s alter ego has been given little to do save for a little eavesdropping and meddling here and there. What’s more, Vanessa recently revealed that she was leaving town to study abroad.

Thoughts? Will you miss either one of them? Do you think Serena’s cuz will ably fill the villainess void? Sound off below!

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Controversy, Exclusive, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Amanda says:

I’m glad JS is leaving. TM obviously wants to concentrate on her music.

I think they should have signed both Michelle Trachtenberg (Georgina) and Sebastian Stan (Carter) as regulars in Season 3 since everyone had graduated high school.

2. Chelsea says:

Not really a fan of either, and I wish Vanessa would just go away! Love Jessica Szohr, but the character is just awful. I don’t see a need for her to be invited back as a guest star.

3. Maria says:

I’m happy for Jess… and Taylor. They got away from this failing show. And now I don’t have to watch again. Vanessa was my fave.

4. M says:

I’m not thrilled that Charlie will be back as a regular, but I am SOOOOO so so happy to see Jenny & Vanessa leave! I really hate their characters (which is a shame, because both of those characters were so interesting in the books). Seriously, this news made my night.

5. wasabi says:

More Cyrus! He doesn’t visit nearly enough.

6. Kim says:

Charlie???? Who cares about her? You want a real physcho? Put Georgina as part of the series regular!!! And Prince Louis too!!! Nate is getting boring and he’s really useless right now.

7. VC says:

I for one am GLAD they are gone. I have hated those two from the start. It is sad that they are going out in a negative way but w/e.

8. Miffy says:

The producers didn’t plan this very well. They should have had Lily and Rufus have a baby a couple of years ago. Then, they could have aged the baby to be a teenager in order to take the place of Jenny.

• cb says:

You forget about scott? Or are you saying they should have had a baby after jenny and dan which to make it to a teenager they would have to do a time jump making dan and everyone quite old

9. impigbass says:

woohoo I am done with this stupid show. The ep tonight made no sense. Chair is so boring, I hate Charlie and the Dair buildup has been forgotten wtf!?

10. verynice says:

YAY! :D

11. anonymous says:

Thank goodness and good riddance. Vanessa may have actually been interesting if they had a better actress playing her. Jessica Szhor is terrible. Her mumbling is worse than Blake Lively’s.

12. Kc says:

I had to stop watching gossip girl this year. It’s just been way too much.

13. S says:

Id want Little J to come back but Vanessa can go lol.
    I wish Gossip Girl could go back to the way it was in Season 1. It was really good back then.

14. sara says:

I LOVE JENNY! She was my fav character. She brought the drama which I loved. Im done with GG. Sick of the abusive CB and stupid story-lines.

15. Andrea says:

I’m so HAPPY that Vanessa is leaving the show. She was such a pointless and annoying person, especially in this last season. She was only good for randomly being in some random place to see a “secret” event. I’m used to Jenny not being show, I almost forgot she existed.

16. em says:

I stopped watching GG entirely at the beginning of season 3, but I loved Vanessa and Jenny in the seasons up to then (Yeah, I’m probably one of the handful). I came back when I read that Dair was happening, and I can’t say I didn’t see their departures coming, but Charlie as a replacement? She’s so annoying. If she gets any more screentime, I’m leaving the show again. I really do try to like this show, but the writers make it impossible!

17. Jordan says:

THANK GOD!!! Vanessa was one of my fave characters in the books and my LEAST favorite character on the show… good riddance!

18. Kris says:

Can’t say I’m surprised. I knew that Taylor Momsen wouldn’t agree to come back, she doesn’t enjoy acting much anymore and music is her passion. Furthermore Vanessa has absolutely no place in the show anymore, everyone hates her, she has no connection to the cast what-so-ever. I have a feeling Taylor chose to leave and they fired Jessica. I’m somewhat surprised Kaylee was brought on full-time but I’m enjoying crazy Charlie so I think it will be a fun change.

• Kris says:

I have to say though, I’m really going to miss Jenny. She made good drama, I loved her. Too bad Taylor isn’t interested in playing her anymore.

19. Lauren says:

It figures they get rid of Vanessa when she becomes likeable at long last. They should have actually gotten her character right in the first place, she was awesome in the books. I hope Jenny pops in every so often, I don’t want her permanently but I liked her one-episode appearance. I really love her band though, so its no great loss. I don’t like Charlie though, I wish she hadn’t been made regular. Really don’t like her with Dan, I wanted Dan and Blair.

20. Manie says:

Why not Raina?! Or even Georgina?! Charlie is such a boring and one dimensional character… Ov all the character they had to choose another Old Bee wannabe… GREAT!!

21. J says:

Vanessa was boring! Thank god she’s leaving though I really love Jessica Szhor! I was hoping jenny would make an appearance again, a story between her and Nate cos his character is ultimately boring! He doesn’t even have a story of his own he is always part of someone elses. Anyway I will miss J.

22. Monica says:

Though I havent been able to watch practically the entire season (long story), I never cared for either of those two. Maybe Jenny in the first couple seasons but never Vanessa. Good riddance to both lame characters!!!

23. AngrodTV says:

FINALLY!! Though I’d prefer it if annoying Charlie left too and Juliet would come back!

24. S says:

This has been the worst season of GG imo I know a lot of people say they hated S3 but for me it was better than S4. Everything is always about Serena this, Serena that and her getting with every guy she sees. The only good thing about S4 was the potential of Dair …..Vanessa could have been a great character but they didn’t do anything with her just like they don’t Nate and I’ll miss Jenny.

• GG says:

Are you freaking kidding me?! Serena this, Serena that? Everything in Gossip Girl is about Blair and it’s ridiculous! Every Blair fan says all the stories revolve around Serena! That’s total bull! More like Blair this, Blair that! Let’s see here, they made her the prom queen, Queen Bee, princess. What’s next?! What else does she get?! Why do people act like Serena gets everything?! I may be a Serena fan, but I don’t talk smack about Blair constantly and when people just sit there and run their mouths about Serena it’s insane! All of them do bad things and get handed things! It’s not just her! Serena does not get all the stories and she does not “get with every guy she sees!” Look at Blair: Nate, Chuck, Dan, Jack, Lord Marcus, Prince Louis, etc! Before you judge any of the characters, take a look at them all because none is better than the other!

25. jay says:

YAHOOOOOOOO bu bye Vanessa.

26. deedeedragons says:

Not Cuckoo Charlie! Couldn’t they of promoted Eric or bring back Chris Riggi’s character.

27. Katie says:

I am sad to see both go. I feel like Vanessa was finally turning the corner where I didn’t want to kill her every time she showed up. She really deserves the opportunity to tell Dan what a horrible friend he is. I hate that she may not get that.

In terms of Jenny I doubt we will ever know what really happened but it can’t be storyline dictated. They have so many potential stories for Jenny. She is the only Brooklyn character that works and generates interest. After last seasons finale I just feel like her story will never have closure. I think letting her out of her contract was a huge mistake.

Charlie seems fine. She is no Jenny.

• cb says:

lmfao you can’t be serious about dan?

Dan is starting to annoy me though. The way he was sticking up for charlie this ep grr. He keeps sticking up for all these girls he likes and they end up being crazy or scheming bitches. He needs to stop being played so much although it’s a likeable part of his character as well.

28. Pepe varela says:

Jenny has potential for comeback, but honestly Charlie? She is gonna be the “silver” of gossip girl…. i want Georgina like a regular star! She is the most meaner person there and i ask how many times youve seen her cry? The answer is NEVER! And Guat. Ladies and gentlemen is a real villian!

29. Nicole says:

It’s good to shake things up but I hope they bring Jenny back before the end. She needs to be with Nate. If they follow the books it makes sense for Jenny to disappear for a while anyway.

30. gio88 says:

it s a shame that nate is remaining and jenny has gone with all her storyline unsolved with serena or blair.this season sucks and the only good episodes were with jenny. Now the cousin storyline is pathetic… I hope the show will be cancelled with season 5

• GG says:

Okay, just because you do not like the show anymore does not mean you should wish people to be unemployed! Hello! If the show is cancelled all of the producers, assistants, directors, writers, and actors are fired! That is a very naive and rude thought!

31. Ashley says:

Oh, joy…that just leaves more screen time for Serena….

• GG says:

Seriously?! More screen time for Serena? Oh wait, let me guess. Blair fan? Why do all of you think Serena is the freaking star? Blair gets all the storylines! Josh and Stephanie give Serena crap! Sleeping with a teacher, almost dying from drug overdose?! If you really think Serena gets more screen time, you do not watch Gossip Girl at all! Blair is focused on so much more and is treated a lot better!

32. ann says:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Charlie!!!!!!!!!!!!! EW! OK , LOVE Jessica szohr and for me these is sad… Bat good for the girls ,because these show sucks now!! The writers doesnt care for the viewers… My Vufus, Nanessa , Danessa and Jane ship are dieing ……….. :( !

33. dan says:

I can only assume that this helps Jessica’s career 1000%

34. Math says:

I don’t know if i’ll will watch.. Vanessa is my favorite character, I was hoping Nate and Vanessa back, favorite couple. And I hate Charlie.

35. Silly B says:

If they don’t bring back they Dair story line i am done with the show! As far as this article, it’s no surprise to anyone who’s been watching this season. Besides, Jenny and Vanessa were probably the least favorite characters on the show..

36. melody says:

Bring back taylor momsen!!!!IDIOTS

• mary says:

my best character is Jenny Humphrey.Because taylor momsen such wonderful actress.Writers and producers are idiots!!!!

37. Sharpay says:

I effing hate charlie. She keeps flirting with dan. I want DERENA and CHAIR!!!!!

38. Heather says:

I’m all for this departure. The way the show went, Vanessa’s character was pointless for any of the plots. And with the horrible casting they did for Jenny’s character it made her character pointless too. Especially since they started writting jenny as Momsen and not Jenny!

39. Smilla says:

Eh, don’t care about Jenny leaving. I miss the Jenny from seasons one and two but then she turned weird and unlikeable.

Vanessa, well I’ve wanted her gone since the first episode she appeared in to be honest. JS can’t act to save her life and Vanessa was written horribly. Ironic though that they choose to drop her now when I’ve actually started sympathising with her. She’s been treated like total crap by Dan (what with his attempted sabotage, his cheating, the way he treated her at the start of season four) and should at the very least get to tell him what a jerk he is before she goes.

As for Charlie, I like her and Dan together so she’s welcome to stay. Not sure it’s time to promote her to regular already but at least she’s better than Raina. Would have preferred Juliet though.

Either way I’ll be watching season five so long as there’s lots of CHAIR!!! They are the only real reason I watch this show anyway.

40. Susan says:

I spent a whole freaking year waiting for Jenny to return for this? They said her return would be a surprise and now this? I want some explanation. I’m pretty much done with this show now.

41. D says:

I WAS SO EXCITED FOR JENNY TO COME BACK NOW THIS F*CK VANESSA

42. D says:

im not watching gg no more

43. Andrew says:

Ohh god, at least I hope they come back on season 6 (or guest stars on season 5), hey people all is not about chair, there are other really interesting characters that sadly producers didn’t develop in a good way, Jenny should end with Nate, Vanessa has always been there supporting Dan (and the Humphreys) I think it was a awful mistake when vanessa fell for Dan (they were amazing as friends), all characters have a lot of potential, really hope they don’t still focus just in chair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

44. Blairw says:

damn them to hell!!!!!!!!! a great thing they don’t come back!!!!!!!!

45. Paul says:

I this is great news for the show! Jenny is cool but season 3 jenny sucked. Now Taylor is doing her thing she will only be back a couple of times but its ok. Vanessa’s character doesn’t make a big difference on the show and she will be back just not as a regural which I dont think she was this season either. I hated charlie but now with the season finale I kind of want to see whats going to happen there. I like that GG keeps changing the characters and bringing old ones back its fun and it makes it real because in real life people dont just stay in one place or go away and never come back. I cant wait for season 5! And for all of you who say you would watch it anymore at least give it a chance you might actually like it

46. tezha says:

i simply cant understand their choice of actress to play the role of charlie. she’s a plain jane. nothing interesting abt her. heck her body dsnt even look interesting. if the show wanted to raise the bar even higher, they could have chosen an actress who is a par with serena or blair. then the show would have been interesting.

btw, would it be really hard for serena to just not be in one relationship to another all the time? there must be somethng really wrong wth her.
    and yes, i totally love DAIR.

47. denise says:

whatever ill miss little j

48. Gossip Girl Fan says:

Jessica and Taylor are both great actresses and fantastic people, you may not like the characters, but don’t insult the people. As for my opinion on this, let’s just say I am nowhere near pleased! Before season four began, information was leaked that Taylor was focusing on her music and wouldn’t be in many episodes. After seeing how few of episodes she actually was in, I knew she wouldn’t be back permanently next year. I’ve just finished season four today. While watching the second half of the season, I kept waiting for either Jenny or Vanessa to show up. Finally, Vanessa came back to apologize to Dan and he told her to leave him alone. Over the next couple episodes, Jessica got maybe at max five-seven minutes of screen time and people say she was taking up stories? When the writers had her say she was studying abroad, it came as no surprise she would be gone temporarily, but now that it has been revealed that she has been dropped, I’m pretty angry! Not only did they completely character assassinate Vanessa this year, they also did everything in their power to make us hate her! She sided with Juliet against everyone else, betrayed Jenny, stole Dan’s book and published it. That is so not the Vanessa we fans like! Sure, she is the outsider, but don’t make her a total bitch to the core characters! Now, about Charlie/Ivy. Are you freaking kidding me, Josh and Stephanie?! That girl is such a selfish little twit! Why not keep Raina, who a lot of us like?! Instead you keep her? Really?! Okay, no offense to Kaylee DeFer, but we don’t like her character! DO NOT LIKE HER! Like others have said, we would rather have Georgina than her! Anyone over her! And what’s up with Nate? The guest stars got better and more storylines than he did! If he wasn’t with his dad, Chuck, or Raina, we never saw him! What the heck?! Why can’t he get a storyline? He is a regular for a reason! Good lord! At least give Chace the decency of a story! Anyway, I’m done with my rant. Josh and Stephanie, if you are reading this, bring Gossip Girl back to what it used to be! Don’t get rid of Taylor and Jessica! Keep them and add characters we like to your regular roster! Not people we despise!

49. Gossip Girl Fan says:

Another thing, what the heck happened to Dair?! I’ve been a Chair fan since episode one and the second I saw them together in season four, I switched ships! They have amazing chemistry and you dumped them like yesterday’s dinner! We finally get the kiss and then you have Blair say, “Oh, I love Chuck again!” For real?!