Dexter Exclusive: Colin Hanks Joins Cast… as Dex's New Archenemy?

Colin Hanks has landed a role most actors would kill for.

Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that the Good Guys star Mad Men alum is joining the cast of Dexter for a major Season 6 arc playing Travis, a highly intelligent expert on ancient artifacts who gets linked to a series of grisly murders in Miami.

If this Travis turns out to be an adversary of Dex’s, it’s unlikely he’ll fit the mold of past baddies such as Trinity and the Ice Truck Killer, given what Showtime president David Nevins recently told TVLine about the show’s coming season. “It is not [about] one big bad,” he told us. “There’s one interesting story that will move through the season, and it will be cast very interestingly, but it’s not exactly that one person.”

Hanks is on board for all 12 Season 6 episodes.

Comments (61)

• Yay! Love Dexter, love Colin Hanks.

Comment by Emily – May 9, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He better not be a flop in Dexter like he was in Good Guys. Dexter is such a great show and that show Good Guys sucked

Comment by Mia – May 10, 2011 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hey, there are a lot of us who really, really loved The Good Guys!

Comment by Coolness – May 10, 2011 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Love a few of the bad guys too….. Look at how great Lithgo was!! Dexter rocks~

Comment by igormishap – May 11, 2011 12:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Trinity killer season was the best season of all.

Comment by sparkofinsanity – May 11, 2011 01:36 PM PDT
      • Anyone who did not like the Good Guys does not have a sense of humor. It was one of the greatest and most funny shows to be on in a very long time. Fox totally screwed this show by putting it on Friday nights. If this show would have been on Mon-Thur, it would have survived. Even though Fox is great at bashing politicians, they sucked at promoting the Good Guys.

Comment by Chris C. – May 10, 2011 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i hope so too. i think the writers and director for Dexter bring out the best in actors. MCH and Jc are so damn good you gotta be damn perfect to work with them.

Comment by Sheridan – May 16, 2011 05:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The writing on ‘Dexter’ is so great I don’t think anyone would flop. …and ‘The Good Guys’ was a funny show …because of Bradley Whitford!

Comment by Jennifer-Marie – May 17, 2011 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The Good Guys was in my opinion one of the greatest shows on t.v. since Pushing Daisies!!!! I absolutely loved that show and looked forward to it every week!I miss it terribly-hope it comes out on DVD.

Comment by Laura Dronet – October 10, 2011 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • An utterly horrific performance.

Comment by Wb – November 4, 2012 12:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The Good Guys was a great show

Comment by Tish – August 29, 2011 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • love Dexter. Collin is also very good. What is Collin going to do? I can’t see him go too deviant. Interesting choice of theme change.

Comment by igormishap – May 11, 2011 12:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wonderful news! I’m always up for supporting Colin Hanks career…apart from being that other actors’ son, I think he’s really talented and likable in his own right.

Comment by MSD – May 9, 2011 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ahh i love colin hanks, he was great on roswell and in the teen flicks with shane west. also that creepy thriller with diane lane!

Comment by lorna – May 9, 2011 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I fudgin love Colin Hanks. I was so sad when The Good Guys was cancelled, such a great show. So glad he is back on TV!

Comment by Lila – May 9, 2011 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree 100%!

Comment by Amanda – May 9, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Us, too! LOVED The Good Guys. Can’t beleive a show like that was cancelled with all the other real crapola on TV, dang.

Comment by Coolness – May 10, 2011 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • he’ll always be alex from Roswell to me.

Comment by t.t – May 9, 2011 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t forget that Colin Hanks has played a nemesis before to Charlie Eppes on the much missed Numb3rs. But of course you knew that Mr Ausiello. :-)
    I agree with the comparisons to John Lithgow. JL was known to many as one of the nicest guys ever, so when he played Trinity it made for compelling viewing. And he so deserved the Emmy for that role/performance.
    Like JL, Colin Hanks is very much in the nice guy mould (his Numb3rs character even helped Charlie in the end) so this to me is as equally inspired casting as JL for Trinity.
    So as saddened as I was by The Good Guys ending, this more than makes up for it. I await the MCH-CH showdown with relish. Season 6 of Dexter just got a whole lot brighter.

Comment by Dave – May 9, 2011 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • nice casting by dexter. would like to see who else they bring in the fold ie Chicago Mike…it’s gotta be Laz Alonzo

Comment by bmospr04 – May 9, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LET THE GOOD GUYS STAR THING BE! It was a really nice show!

Comment by Sourabh – May 9, 2011 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My wife and I loved The Good Guys.

Comment by Steve – May 10, 2011 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited by this. I adore Colin Hanks. Though I don’t think they will, I actually hope they make him super creepy. It’d be kind of interesting to see him in that role, vs. his usual adorably nerdy good guy role.

Comment by HideTheRemote – May 9, 2011 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! Was able to catch Colin’s new flick, “Lucky,” at a film festival last month. He played a serial killer who won the lottery and was both hilarious and creepy. Hope he gets to be a bad guy in Dexter!

Comment by Abby – May 9, 2011 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • he will always be Alex from Roswell to me…The character they killed for no reason

i stopped watching Dexter along time ago but i think im gonna start again now that Colin is apart of the cast

Comment by ggny – May 9, 2011 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hell no… colin is fine actor but not on dexter… these people on dexter are loosing it man… bring back rita and all is forgiven you bastards…

Comment by luke – May 9, 2011 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ugghhh…

I was going to kill Rita myself if they didn’t get her off the show. All that non-stop nagging!!! Drove me nuts…and they weren’t even showing her how we liked seeing her best anymore:)

Comment by John – May 10, 2011 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “I was going to kill Rita myself if they didn’t get her off the show.”

You would have had to stand in line.

Comment by Porschelad – May 10, 2011 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ditto!!

Comment by dragongirl – May 11, 2011 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Punch yourself in the face for using that lede.

Comment by Josh M – May 9, 2011 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HA-I’m really stoked now. I love that guy. He’s witty, smart, endearing and very likeable…of course I’m biased because I’m the biggest Roswell fan ever ;-)

Comment by kate'shomesick – May 9, 2011 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am glad he would make a fantastic evil dude as he has such a sweet baby face. He is also such a great actor. Colin Hanks is awesome sauce!!!

Comment by bluestarlit – May 9, 2011 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I rather like the idea of Hanks as one of 3-4 new major characters being introduced on the show. Not sure I would have found him charismatic enough to pull off a Big Bad, but this sounds interesting. I was so sure Hanks would be the nerdy Louis Greene character who buddies up with Masuka, but this report says he’s not going to play one of the 3 announced leads. Hmmm….(Loved him as Alex in Roswell too).

Comment by jazzK – May 9, 2011 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Inspired casting. Not that there was any doubt that I would be tuning in for another season, but this is a great move on the producer’s part, and will make for compelling viewing.

Comment by Kealan – May 10, 2011 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Buenisimo ya! quiero verlo.

Comment by Maria de Los Angeles – May 10, 2011 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When does the new season start?

Comment by Holly – May 10, 2011 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if there are some tongues in cheeks here. I mean “playing a highly intelligent young expert on ancient artifacts who gets linked to a series of grisly murders” sounds like the main character for Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code as well as Angels & Demons, Robert Langdon, played in the movies by none other than TOM Hanks! Coincidence? I like it!

Comment by Theuns Kruger – May 10, 2011 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Colin Hanks, sweet baby faced Colin Dexter’s enemy? I don’t know about this one.

Comment by Sandra – May 10, 2011 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BAD IDEA! As with most great series, the last episodes are always the worst

Comment by Doosh – May 10, 2011 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • doesn’t matter who’s in the next season of dexter either way it’s gonna be way better than the last

Comment by Michael DeArman – May 10, 2011 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love to hear fm other Roswell fans! I loved Colin as Alex, and in other roles, and can’t wait to see how he is on Dexter. Would love to see him in a more intense part.

Comment by jessicap – May 10, 2011 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOVED CH in Roswell! And if the writers can make funny-nice-guy John Lithgoe transform so easily into the evil Trinity, then who else could they turn evil that would be more surprising than that?

Comment by NCSouthernBelle – May 16, 2011 05:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Mikey – May 10, 2011 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, he’s better than Julia Stiles but BARELY!

Comment by Aaw – May 10, 2011 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it just me or did that memo have a typo at the end…. it says hank is on board for 12 season’s 6 episodes…. I think they need to switch the numbers…..

Comment by micah trudell – May 10, 2011 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re not alone. It is not the 12th season. And 6 episodes???? There would be protests in the streets!!!!

Comment by Tkat – May 10, 2011 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I thought I read that they were adding 6 more episodes. That would be 18. I sure hope so.

Comment by Pat – May 10, 2011 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not a typo, just a bit awkward. It says he will be on board for “all 12 season 6 eps”
      So, all 12 (of the) season 6 episodes…

Comment by Heather – May 10, 2011 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wow!!! that is good news. i too was sad when The Good Guy’s show was cancelled!! I love Colin Hanks, he’s gonna be an excellent challenge for Dexter!!!! One question, Why do the bad guys always have to be so handsome?

Comment by notmia – May 10, 2011 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • who cares about new cast members….its all about DEXTER!!! cannot wait for season 6!!!! :)

Comment by DEXTERaholic – May 10, 2011 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely love Dexter! Can’t wait!

Comment by meela dark – May 10, 2011 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lookinh forward to the fall – great show..

Comment by Rob – May 10, 2011 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sounds great with Colin and all, but my more major concern is if this is the last season of Dexter. I’ve heard that but don’t know if it’s a rumor or not. Please say it ain’t so!

Comment by Coolness – May 10, 2011 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • im pretty sure (i could be wrong but i believe this is correct) that the actors contracts end after this season. however that dosnt mean that they cant get them all to sign another one. infact ive heard something about the producers mention the possibillity of a season 7. that being said due to the shows popularity it seems likely to me that the show will continue after this season.

Comment by Josh – May 10, 2011 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well they can’t do much worse then the Julia Stiles season.

Comment by deedeedragons – May 10, 2011 10:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Season 5 was about Dexter’s character journey and how it developed after Rita’s demise. I thought they did some very interesting stuff with him and I did like how they left his state of mind somewhat ambiguous at the end.

It was the Dexter character development that was front and foremost in season 5. Every season can’t necessarily be about a “big bad” like Season 4 (which was excellent of course). But the series as a whole is about the character journey and on that score, I thought season 5 succeeded. It certainly wasn’t worse than season 3!

Comment by Dissecting Dexter – May 11, 2011 03:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Colin Hanks was terrible in Mad Men. Hopefully he does better on this.

Comment by Mikey M – May 11, 2011 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dumbest cops ever? Dexter’s PD

Comment by Benjamin Kabak – May 11, 2011 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh I dunno… he’s basically been caught twice now. First by Doakes and then by Quinn. I can see where your coming from, but I don’t really have an issue with the rest of them ‘missing it’. It’s often hardest to see what’s right in front of you.

Comment by Bill – May 12, 2011 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No way, haters. Julia Stiles rocked. It scared the hell out of me that someone could become so obsessed with revenge. And Colin Hanks is actually really quite endearing, so it will be interesting to see his character’s idiosyncracies. He also played John Lithgow’s son in one really silly movie, coincidence? I don’t think so. … All that said, no one can top Michael C. Hall. He’s one of the best actors of his generation. Brilliant.

Comment by Sharon – June 23, 2011 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it’d be pretty cool if the Dexter forensic team made a cameo in Supernatural.Linking two of my favorite series together XD.Can you imagine the comedy that could come out of that?

Comment by Diego – October 4, 2011 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post