Exclusive

Dexter Exclusive: Colin Hanks Joins Cast... as Dex's New Archenemy?

Colin Hanks has landed a role most actors would kill for.

Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that the Good Guys star Mad Men alum is joining the cast of Dexter for a major Season 6 arc playing Travis, a highly intelligent expert on ancient artifacts who gets linked to a series of grisly murders in Miami.

If this Travis turns out to be an adversary of Dex’s, it’s unlikely he’ll fit the mold of past baddies such as Trinity and the Ice Truck Killer, given what Showtime president David Nevins recently told TVLine about the show’s coming season. “It is not [about] one big bad,” he told us. “There’s one interesting story that will move through the season, and it will be cast very interestingly, but it’s not exactly that one person.”

Hanks is on board for all 12 Season 6 episodes.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Emily says:

Yay! Love Dexter, love Colin Hanks.

• Mia says:

He better not be a flop in Dexter like he was in Good Guys. Dexter is such a great show and that show Good Guys sucked

• Coolness says:

Hey, there are a lot of us who really, really loved The Good Guys!

• Chris C. says:

Anyone who did not like the Good Guys does not have a sense of humor. It was one of the greatest and most funny shows to be on in a very long time. Fox totally screwed this show by putting it on Friday nights. If this show would have been on Mon-Thur, it would have survived. Even though Fox is great at bashing politicians, they sucked at promoting the Good Guys.

• Sheridan says:

i hope so too. i think the writers and director for Dexter bring out the best in actors. MCH and Jc are so damn good you gotta be damn perfect to work with them.

• Jennifer-Marie says:

The writing on ‘Dexter’ is so great I don’t think anyone would flop. …and ‘The Good Guys’ was a funny show …because of Bradley Whitford!

• Tish says:

The Good Guys was a great show

• igormishap says:

love Dexter. Collin is also very good. What is Collin going to do? I can’t see him go too deviant. Interesting choice of theme change.

2. MSD says:

Wonderful news! I’m always up for supporting Colin Hanks career…apart from being that other actors’ son, I think he’s really talented and likable in his own right.

• lorna says:

ahh i love colin hanks, he was great on roswell and in the teen flicks with shane west. also that creepy thriller with diane lane!

3. Lila says:

I fudgin love Colin Hanks. I was so sad when The Good Guys was cancelled, such a great show. So glad he is back on TV!

4. t.t says:

he’ll always be alex from Roswell to me.

5. Dave says:

Don’t forget that Colin Hanks has played a nemesis before to Charlie Eppes on the much missed Numb3rs. But of course you knew that Mr Ausiello. :-)
    I agree with the comparisons to John Lithgow. JL was known to many as one of the nicest guys ever, so when he played Trinity it made for compelling viewing. And he so deserved the Emmy for that role/performance.
    Like JL, Colin Hanks is very much in the nice guy mould (his Numb3rs character even helped Charlie in the end) so this to me is as equally inspired casting as JL for Trinity.
    So as saddened as I was by The Good Guys ending, this more than makes up for it. I await the MCH-CH showdown with relish. Season 6 of Dexter just got a whole lot brighter.

6. bmospr04 says:

nice casting by dexter. would like to see who else they bring in the fold ie Chicago Mike…it’s gotta be Laz Alonzo

7. Sourabh says:

LET THE GOOD GUYS STAR THING BE! It was a really nice show!

8. So excited by this. I adore Colin Hanks. Though I don’t think they will, I actually hope they make him super creepy. It’d be kind of interesting to see him in that role, vs. his usual adorably nerdy good guy role.

9. Abby says:

Awesome! Was able to catch Colin’s new flick, “Lucky,” at a film festival last month. He played a serial killer who won the lottery and was both hilarious and creepy. Hope he gets to be a bad guy in Dexter!

10. ggny says:

he will always be Alex from Roswell to me…The character they killed for no reason

i stopped watching Dexter along time ago but i think im gonna start again now that Colin is apart of the cast

11. luke says:

hell no… colin is fine actor but not on dexter… these people on dexter are loosing it man… bring back rita and all is forgiven you bastards…

• John says:

Ugghhh…

I was going to kill Rita myself if they didn’t get her off the show. All that non-stop nagging!!! Drove me nuts…and they weren’t even showing her how we liked seeing her best anymore:)

12. Josh M says:

Punch yourself in the face for using that lede.

13. kate'shomesick says:

HA-I’m really stoked now. I love that guy. He’s witty, smart, endearing and very likeable…of course I’m biased because I’m the biggest Roswell fan ever ;-)

14. bluestarlit says:

I am glad he would make a fantastic evil dude as he has such a sweet baby face. He is also such a great actor. Colin Hanks is awesome sauce!!!

15. jazzK says:

Well, I rather like the idea of Hanks as one of 3-4 new major characters being introduced on the show. Not sure I would have found him charismatic enough to pull off a Big Bad, but this sounds interesting. I was so sure Hanks would be the nerdy Louis Greene character who buddies up with Masuka, but this report says he’s not going to play one of the 3 announced leads. Hmmm….(Loved him as Alex in Roswell too).

16. Kealan says:

Inspired casting. Not that there was any doubt that I would be tuning in for another season, but this is a great move on the producer’s part, and will make for compelling viewing.

17. Maria de Los Angeles says:

Buenisimo ya! quiero verlo.

18. Holly says:

When does the new season start?

19. Theuns Kruger says:

I wonder if there are some tongues in cheeks here. I mean “playing a highly intelligent young expert on ancient artifacts who gets linked to a series of grisly murders” sounds like the main character for Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code as well as Angels & Demons, Robert Langdon, played in the movies by none other than TOM Hanks! Coincidence? I like it!

20. Sandra says:

Colin Hanks, sweet baby faced Colin Dexter’s enemy? I don’t know about this one.

21. Doosh says:

BAD IDEA! As with most great series, the last episodes are always the worst

22. Michael DeArman says:

doesn’t matter who’s in the next season of dexter either way it’s gonna be way better than the last

23. jessicap says:

Love to hear fm other Roswell fans! I loved Colin as Alex, and in other roles, and can’t wait to see how he is on Dexter. Would love to see him in a more intense part.

• NCSouthernBelle says:

LOVED CH in Roswell! And if the writers can make funny-nice-guy John Lithgoe transform so easily into the evil Trinity, then who else could they turn evil that would be more surprising than that?

24. Mikey says:

25. Aaw says:

Well, he’s better than Julia Stiles but BARELY!

26. micah trudell says:

Is it just me or did that memo have a typo at the end…. it says hank is on board for 12 season’s 6 episodes…. I think they need to switch the numbers…..

• Tkat says:

You’re not alone. It is not the 12th season. And 6 episodes???? There would be protests in the streets!!!!

• Heather says:

It’s not a typo, just a bit awkward. It says he will be on board for “all 12 season 6 eps”
      So, all 12 (of the) season 6 episodes…

27. notmia says:

wow!!! that is good news. i too was sad when The Good Guy’s show was cancelled!! I love Colin Hanks, he’s gonna be an excellent challenge for Dexter!!!! One question, Why do the bad guys always have to be so handsome?

28. DEXTERaholic says:

who cares about new cast members….its all about DEXTER!!! cannot wait for season 6!!!! :)

29. meela dark says:

I absolutely love Dexter! Can’t wait!

30. Rob says:

Lookinh forward to the fall – great show..

31. Coolness says:

This sounds great with Colin and all, but my more major concern is if this is the last season of Dexter. I’ve heard that but don’t know if it’s a rumor or not. Please say it ain’t so!

• Josh says:

im pretty sure (i could be wrong but i believe this is correct) that the actors contracts end after this season. however that dosnt mean that they cant get them all to sign another one. infact ive heard something about the producers mention the possibillity of a season 7. that being said due to the shows popularity it seems likely to me that the show will continue after this season.

32. deedeedragons says:

Well they can’t do much worse then the Julia Stiles season.

• Season 5 was about Dexter’s character journey and how it developed after Rita’s demise. I thought they did some very interesting stuff with him and I did like how they left his state of mind somewhat ambiguous at the end.

It was the Dexter character development that was front and foremost in season 5. Every season can’t necessarily be about a “big bad” like Season 4 (which was excellent of course). But the series as a whole is about the character journey and on that score, I thought season 5 succeeded. It certainly wasn’t worse than season 3!

33. Mikey M says:

I thought Colin Hanks was terrible in Mad Men. Hopefully he does better on this.

34. Benjamin Kabak says:

Dumbest cops ever? Dexter’s PD

• Bill says:

Oh I dunno… he’s basically been caught twice now. First by Doakes and then by Quinn. I can see where your coming from, but I don’t really have an issue with the rest of them ‘missing it’. It’s often hardest to see what’s right in front of you.

35. Sharon says:

No way, haters. Julia Stiles rocked. It scared the hell out of me that someone could become so obsessed with revenge. And Colin Hanks is actually really quite endearing, so it will be interesting to see his character’s idiosyncracies. He also played John Lithgow’s son in one really silly movie, coincidence? I don’t think so. … All that said, no one can top Michael C. Hall. He’s one of the best actors of his generation. Brilliant.

36. Diego says:

it’d be pretty cool if the Dexter forensic team made a cameo in Supernatural.Linking two of my favorite series together XD.Can you imagine the comedy that could come out of that?