X Factor Names Nicole Scherzinger, Brit Steve Jones as Hosts; Paula Abdul Officially on Board

Former Pussycat Doll/Dancing star Nicole Scherzinger and Brit hunk Steve Jones have officially been named hosts of Fox’s U.S. port of The X Factor, to premiere this fall.

Interestingly, one of the two was not executive producer Simon Cowell’s first choice. American Idol vet Paula Abdul, meanwhile, has officially closed a deal to join the judges dais.

It’s Official: X Factor Nabs Brit ‘Brat’ Cheryl Cole as Judge

A singer/songwriter, Scherzinger recently served as a guest judge on the UK X Factor, while Jones is a fashion model-turned-TV personality who across the pond has hosted several shows, including the weekend kiddie program T4.

“I loved working alongside Simon on the UK [X Factor], and cannot wait to see what he has in store for the U.S.,” Scherzinger said in a statement.

An unfamiliar face to America, Jones said he had been approached about working in the States before “but never felt right about those opportunities. But when [Fox’s] The X Factor came up, I lept at the opportunity.”

Jones was not the first pick to cohost with Scherzinger. Cowell was partial to High School Musical alum Corbin Bleu, but to hear Deadline tell it, Scherzy was sour on the idea of working alongside someone so young-looking.

Effective immediately, Scherzinger and Jones — a la American Idol‘s Ryan Seacrest — will dog wannabe contestants starting with the audition stage and through to the live performance shows.

The one remaining loose end for Fox’s The X Factor had been the fourth judges’ chair. But after down-to-the-wire negotiations, Abdul has signed on the dotted line to reunite with Cowell as Judge No. 4. Music industry vet L.A. Reid and Brit singer Cheryl Cole round out the dais.

1. BGW says:

But, but… What about The Sing Off??

2. David says:

I really hope that the deal with Paula doesn’t work out. I think she was pretty much a train wreck on Idol for the last several seasons. While that may entice people to tune in I just hope they go for someone more serious and credible. When she left Idol I think it was a significant improvement (even with that season with Karen and Ellen) so to see her have a shot at this spot is frustrating. I’m sure others feel the same way I do.

3. mosie says:

I wont watch if Paula gets on as got real tired of her on Idol.You would think Cowell could find some one better.Getting to be alot of talent shows already on.

4. Jon says:

“in Limbo” pretty much sums up Paula Abdul period.

5. Clarissa says:

Wish it had been Dermot instead.

Please no Paula! We already have cheryl to banter with Simon. What they need now is a big name star to judge alongside them.

6. Frag says:

Steve Jones has quite a welsh ascent are the US going to understand him? Good luck to them, and wish them well. But saying that i wish there was not as much reality TV on our screens, I dont mind having some reality shows but the amount now is getting silly. I wiosh that they would cut the amount of reality shows down and put more scripted shows back on.

• Missie says:

good poiint her has quite a welsh ascent on him and so does cheryl are they really going to take to them well? I love to hear ascents myself – I have quite a Devonian one myself but if you are not used to hearing some of them they can be difficult to understand.

• missie says:

Opps – I don’t mean Cherly has a welsh ascent i know she has a gordie one. I meant she just has quite an ascent.

7. Kylie says:

Just a small thing but T4 isn’t a kiddie show. It’s for teenagers and young adults. They interview musicians and actors, play music videos and review movies. Definitely not something my 5 year old cousin watches.

So is Steve Jones hosting the way Dermott does in the UK? Not sure how the US will take to him at all

• Sam says:

I’m gutted that Simon appointed Steve Jones instead of Dermot O’Leary but i guess if Simon, Cheryl AND Dermot went to X Factor USA, ITV would just have to cancel the show.
      But I think that Steve Jones will be struck by the Konnie Huq syndrome

8. SallyinChicago says:

I hate to be nitpicky, but it seems the only people making mega-money and getting some traction out of these singing shows are the producers and the judges.
    The singers seem to fade from memory….Kelly Pickler, remember her? Bucky Covington, remember him? Anwon Robinson, remember him? And the list goes on and on. But the one main constant and the ones getting rich are the judges and the producers.

9. liz says:

Yaaaaaaaay Paula!!!

10. Jay says:

Steve jones is hot, dosent matter if he’s understood at all. Puts Angus thong back on to watch him shirtless again….,

11. ReMMeZ says:

The Voice beats X-Factor any time. And i can not think of one single reason to see Paula again. She sóóóó over and done.

I was hoping Simon was serieus about this show. It already sounds like a Joke. L.A. [Randy/Jimmy Levine], Cheryl [Kara/Ellen/J-Lo], Paula [Steven/Paula], Simon [well euhm Simon]. Hmmm, ik mos def prefer the Judges on The Voice.

• Vetle says:

For you to compare Cheryl to Kara, Ellen and J.LO is total and utter BS. Have you even seen her in action on the UK version?

• SpyKi says:

Yeah, Cheryl is better than Kara, Ellen and J-Lo combined. We have no idea what L.A. will be like and Simon himself beats every other judging panel on his own. and I like Paula, even if she does suck as a judge, she’s more entertaining than Steven Tyler.

• Kate says:

Is this a joke, i have been forced by my friends to watch Cole for the past 3 seasons, and she is the BIGGEST joke of a judge, she doesnt know anything about the industry or singing, its all about her fashion, her music, her rivarily with Cowell! To say that she is better than JLO, JLO whose career has spammed well over a decade, and continues to stay in style, who worked her ass off to get where she is, not just get in a band through a relatiy show!

• SpyKi says:

J-Lo is useless, her comments are bland and everyone’s amazing for her. At least Cheryl is useful and can give negative comments. Also, you mean spanned, not spammed.

• ReMMeZ says:

Unfortunately i have watched all the UK BS of X-Factor and Cheryl is a total and complete blankhead. Cheryl is not better than Ellen and J-Lo combined. People who claim that are not real..

Are you guys for real. This judging table is a joke. It’s AI season 7-8 in reverse.

Cheryl had to marry a soccer player to get this big.. ‘Nough said.. ? Nough said!

Like i said.. The Voice has allready killed X-Factor USA.. Or are you guys and girls really hoping this will be better?! It won’t

• kateshomesick says:

At least Cheryl is gorgeous and she’s just kind of …nice…she seems to be a genuinely nice person, always very passionate about her contestants…and uhm I think I ran out of arguments :D…but I tried cause I love her accent aaaaand she’s gorgeous. Wait- I said that before didn’t I?

12. Christina says:

The whole hiring process for this show was a circus, I’m betting when the show airs too that it will be a circus.

13. K says:

I am skeptical of Paula’s ability to coach anyone. She certainly never gave any constructive criticism on idol.

14. Frances says:

I just told my mother that Steve Jones was going to co host American X Factor and her first reaction was “Really! With Cheryl Cole on there as well?” When I said yes she then replied “They wont understand them, they are probably going get given elocution lessons”

15. Suncatcher says:

Yay, Paula! She was terrific on Idol – especially the last 3 years. She has been in the business for a very long time. She’s a singer, dancer, recording artist. If you go back and look at some of her Idol judging, you will see how really good she was. She is very specific and, yes, did point out where improvement was needed. She could spot talent a mile away – and those with no hope.

Simon Cowell is a billionaire. He got there because he knows how to surround himself with the right people and how to spot/make winners -whether you like him or not. He’s very loyal to those loyal to him and he adores Paula for the same quality. Paula will do her best for him.

16. Denise says:

I can’t wait to see paula and simon together again!!!! Now if only they had signed Corbin Bleu, they made a mistake there.

17. Kevin says:

Watching the U.S. version of X Factor is not on my watch. PASS.

18. SDDeutscher says:

Just got back from the first round of LA Auditions, very poorly organized in all was 3 hours late went 1.5 hours over and we still only got to see 13 acts, with 3 making it through, but NO talent what so ever. There was a kiddie group of 5 and their lead-singer Molly should be going solo. The rest ouch, Cheryl’s accent is very hard to understand, she is not English, I think Scottish or Welch. Very slow all together. Hopefully by the fall when the live shows are on they have better chemistry.

• Brit says:

She is English, she has a Gordie ascent as she is from Newcastle, there are a lot of regional ascent in England just as there are a lot of ascents in the US. Steve Jones is the one from Wales and has a Welsh Ascent

19. Meg says:

Omg it is accent not ascent!!!!Sorry to correct spelling you make some great points!

20. Meagan says:

I don’t think I’m going to watch it. I was gonna watch it if Corbin was hosting but now I maybe not. I just don’t understand the appeal.