Ratings: Supernatural Tops Smallville, Fringe Ends Season on Low Note

Supernatural scared up a rare victory this week over CW sister show Smallville, drawing more viewers (2.08 vs. 2 million) and a better demo rating (0.9 vs. 0.8). Both shows, with their penultimate episodes of the season/series, saw slight upticks in total audience.

Speaking of finales, Fringe (3.3 mil/1.2) ended its third cycle on a low note, dipping 6 and 8 percent, respectively. Everyone still collecting their brain matter off the floor…?

Fringe Finale Exclusive: WTF Happened?! Producers Answer (Some) Burning Questions

Elsewhere on Friday:

8/7c | CBS’ Flashpoint led the hour in total audience with 6.9 million viewers (up 13 percent from its previous premiere), but was down 15 percent in the demo (with a mere 1.1 rating). Friday Night Lights (2.72 mil/0.8) gained 33 percent in the demo.

9/8c | CSI: NY (9.3 mil/1.5) was topis in viewers and in the demo, despite dropping 12 percent in the latter.

10/9c | Blue Bloods was the night’s most watched program, with 10.1 million viewers, but placed third in the demo (dipping to a 1.5) behind the second hour of Dateline (1.8) and 20/20 (1.7).

What did you watch live/live-ish this Friday?

1. Mario says:

Fringe was way beyond incredible last night. So mind bogglingly amazing.

2. cassi says:

No wonder, Supernatural was just AMAZING! Ben Edlund did a great job with directing ‘The Man who would be King’, his first episode since the epic ‘Smile Time’.

3. TJCrinc says:

It shows alot about castiel and his struggle. Though i wish Edlund would have included a puppet SOMEWHERE in the episode.

4. SPNJunkieJude says:

Sad to think that Dean has now joined ranks with Sam & Bobby in believing Cas is a traitor in league with the smarmy, vicious Crowley only for personal gains!!!!! Aaaarrrgggghhhhhh!! Poor Cas !

If only they knew he was only trying to win the War in Heaven to prevent Raphael from undoing all the hunters’ hard work & sacrificing, by starting the Apocalypse all over again! What an awesome episode! Our Guardian Angel begging his Heavenly Father for a sign! It deserved all the viewers it attracted last night! Ben Edlund did a great job on an episode that required so many scenes….and so many characters. Solid writing! Solid directing! Solid GOLD!!!

5. Glory says:

I’m glad SPN did well (relatively speaking considering it’s a Friday night show on the CW). I’ve really been enjoying the last few eps of Supernatural (starting with “Frontierland”). I just wish the writers had given the War in Heaven storyline more attention throughout the season (a story told ON screen instead of off) instead of being tacked on to the back end. I find it far more interesting than the Soulless Sam plot that seemed to plod on forever, taking up way too much of the season with no expansion of focus to additional stories to balance it out. It’s nice to see SPN back on track, I hope they can continue the momentum through the finale and that they manage to plot out a better balanced, and better paced, season 7 than 6 has been.

6. Ale says:

Fringe is the best show right now and I don’t get why the ratings have to be based on a sample of 0.02% of the households!!! It’s dumb

7. Sourabh says:

Fringe had one of the best TV episodes ever. Sad about the ratings.

8. JGNY says:

Never watched supernatural. Long time Smallville watcher. Sadly, Smallville has lost a lot in regard to writing, SX effects and storylines. I know it must be hard to continue to write quailty scripts to keep the folks coming back. Now I watch expecting to be disappointed and I have not been left down. At least this week ended with Lois pulling the plug, but we will see in the wrap up. Maybe Clark will kiss her and she will forget who he is. The show lost so much when Rosenbaum, and the Mom disappeared. The only thing that sort of saved it for me was Kara, what a beautiful lady.

9. carla says:

Friday night’s episode of Supernatural was amazing!! It was about time that we got Castiel’s story.

I just feel sorry for the heartbreak Dean is going through. Although if they would only listen to why Cas is doing what he is doing.

10. deedeedragons says:

Ugh, Kara saved that episode from being a stink-fest.

11. Ali says:

I’m not surprised Supernatural did well. People have been craving some attention to the Dean-Cas relationship for about two seasons now.

12. Mikaylah says:

Supernatural, Smallville and Fringe were all amazing! My only complaint is that I didn’t know Flashpoint was premiering last night. Now that I know its on, I’ll be watching it every week. :)

13. frag says:

Thanks for the ratings. Nice to see CSI NY win thier hour, hope CBS renew it.

14. timotey says:

And don’t forget that Supernatural tied for the 1st place in its time slot in A18-34! What an amazing ep!

15. O says:

No wonder SPN got 1st place it was an awesome episode.

On the other hand , I’m really disappointed about Fringe’s ratings. It was a REALLY MIND BLOWING episode!!! Can’t wait for season 4.

About Smallvillem its storyline has been declined since season 7. They should’ve ended the show a while ago. I only hope that the series finally WILL KICK A**!

16. deborah says:

I thought Misha Collins (Castiel) gave an awesome performance in “Supernatural’s” ‘The Man Who Would Be King,” but I’m disappointed that the trend of the show seems to be that Misha’s Cas is being turned into a villain. I hope this doesn’t mean the character will be written out. Frankly, he’s my favorite in the series; the scenes between Dean and Cas are always the best in the show. If Misha’s Cas doesn’t return in season 7, I’m NOT going to be a happy viewer and I know other fans who feel the same way. It will hurt the series, big time!

17. Corinne says:

“Smile Time” was that Angels’ Muppets/Puppets episode? It was the most I ever liked Angel.

18. Corinne says:

I don’t think anywhere in the episode did Dean think Cas was out for personal gains only. He knew it was just another case of doing the wrong things for the right reasons.

19. Jessalyn says:

Seriously Fringe fans, what is going on?! How did the show drop from a 1.9 in its first two friday episodes to 1.2 for its finale. I expected the show to drop and maybe settle in the 1.5-1.6 range but to drop to 1.2 must be really disappointing for FOX who renewed the show and also for the cast and crew who works so hard on this show. As Fringe fans we should be doing everything we can to get the ratings back up for next season. I’ve read many Fringe fans saying that they are resigned to the fact that season four will be the last. It doesn’t have to be, lets get the ratings back up and show FOX we want this show around for more than just four seasons.

20. Laura says:

Both Supernatural and Fringe were outstanding Friday night!! What a shame that the best two shows on tv both have to air in such a crappy timeslot against one another! They deserve to have 10 times the number of viewers that they get!

21. MJ says:

I watch both shows so am always conflicted about which to watch and tape. I wound up taping both but was able to watch Spnl at 10pm, but was tired and knew I had to have my mind clear to watch a Fringe finale so I waited til saturday. Both were excellent shows.

The end of Fringe had my jaw on the ground ! And Spnl – well my heart was just breaking for Dean when he found out what Cas has done. What a fab ep for Mischa though !

22. Doug-H says:

I think the Fringe audience knew there was no rush to watch since it’ll be available all summer and knowing it was renewed made it not necessarily I’ve got to catch it moment but it certainly was mind blowing…

Didn’t care much for the SV and it was nice to see Flashpoint back… That was just a filler episode to explain Kara not being in the finale ( off to the future world) and setting up some drama about the wedding… Nice to see some Ed backstory on FP…

23. sherry b says:

Love Supernatural!! This season SOLID!!! The Man Who Would Be King yes homerun guys!!!

24. Gossip lady says:

I didn’t watch this season because I am catching up on TNT. Once that happens, I will start watching on CW. LOVE LOVE LOVE Supernatural.

25. Tony says:

Scared up a victory…. I see what you did there!