Crystal vs. Allison! Melinda vs. Diana! Vote Now as the Idol Bracket Tourney Continues!’s American Idol All-Time Greatest Performance Bracket Tournament rages on today with a head-to-head matchup of Janis Joplin classics, a battle between Season 3’s runner-up and Season 6’s third-place finisher, and a couple of talented upstarts trying to score TKOs against Idol’s Oscar winner and reigning country queen.

Yes, folks, time to rip off the band-aid and get voting in the latest set of single-elimination faceoffs to decide which 16 Idol Moments advance to Round 3 of our 64-player tourney. Every day around 1:00 p.m. ET over the next few weeks, we’ll launch a new set of duels to the death that will have you joyously reliving your favorite Idol moments and weeping into your clenched fists over the fact that you have to choose between ’em.

Kris Allen vs. Jason Castro! Archie vs. Taylor! The Idol Bracket Tourney Rages On!

Before you head to the polls, you may want to peruse these memory-refreshing links to the performances entering the ring this afternoon:

Melinda Doolittle, “My Funny Valentine
Diana DeGarmo, “Don’t Cry Out Loud
Alexis Grace, “I Never Loved a Man (the Way I Love You)
Jennifer Hudson, “Circle of Life
Allison Iraheta, “Cry Baby” (Exit Performance)
Crystal Bowersox, “Me and Bobby McGee
Brooke White, “Let It Be
Carrie Underwood, ”Alone

‘Idoloonies’: Paul McDonald on ‘Blackbird,’
Crazy Dancing, and…Adam Lambert Comparisons?

It’s gonna be brutal seeing four of those great Idol moments snuffed out before the Round of 16, no? So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Voting will be open for 48 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

Greatest Idol Moment Round 2 Continues:
Jordin Vs. Katharine, La Toya Vs. Tamyra, and More!

And if you’re interested in the matchups we’ve got planned for the coming weeks and how the first round of matchups played out, click here to check out the entire 64-player bracket (then click again for a zoomed in view), and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. TinCan says:

What I’d rather see and read about would be “how they are doing now?”

• Jane says:

That’s where google and wikipedia come in handy.

• takakupo says:

Wikipedia doesn’t say what current or future projects someone is working on (less they have avid fans). More than likely for someone who’s been on Idol and isn’t as popular, you’d have to be in touch with a website like IMDB or hope that google news has something handy.

• melikey says:

If an artist has avid fans, it means his/her singer/songwriter’s talent appeals to audiences (common people) who are ready to walk the extra mile to promote them ;) Of course, “popularity” doesn’t equal “quality” but that is a fact of life or rather, today’s music scene. What I like about places like wikipedia (which is not always accurate) and other fan sites is that they are genuinely invested in that artist just because… no particular interest involved.

• MDEP says:

You can also check out Idoloonies on this site, where he has had a few past contestants on and interviewed them.

2. Ryan says:

My two favorite Idol performances ever are Crystal’s “Me and Bobby McGee”, and Allison’s “Cry Baby” exit performance. Don’t make me choose!

• Lauri says:

Seriously, Michael, how in the world did you come up with Crystal vs. Allison, with these two songs?

Btw, how were all of these brackets chosen? Did you you throw the contenders for your 4 categories in a hat, or was there some other other ulterior motives going on??

PLEASE CLARIFY. Thanks!

P.S. I would add Crystal’s version of “Summer Wind” as one of her greatest- every time I hear it again, it blows me away – so subtle and brilliant:

• Brandon R. says:

Finally, someone else that loves her version of “Summer Wind”! I always have thought it was incredibly underrated. She did a beautiful job on that song, and the killer arrangement by Harry Connick, Jr. really added to it.

• Jurybox says:

I forgot about this performance and replayed it. You are right – it was brilliant!! Crystal’s amazing.

• Linda says:

Yes, Michael – I think it’s completely UNFAIR to compare an EXIT performance to a JUDGED performance. I LOVE both Allison and Crystal – but how did you arrive at this matchup?

For me, Crystal’s performance of “Up to the Mountain” in the finale is my favorite. Too bad that you seemed to have just decided to do it this way. The way you set it up made it impossible for both Crystal and Allison to be in the finals.

3. Tahoe Mike says:

Have you been taking lessons from Ryan? You want me to choose between Alison and Crystal? Nope, NOT gonna do it.

By the way I still don’t think you picked either of their best for this thing. Papa Was A Rolling Stone, and Put A Candle In The Window were the the best of each.

• Gabe says:

Crystal sang the song “Long as I can see the Light”, put a candle in the window was just the opening line.

• JBanana says:

whew, I’m actually kind of glad now that Michael picked “Me and Bobby McGee” for Crystal instead of “Up to the Mountain”, because it made it easier for me to choose Allison in this face off. “Cry Baby” vs. “Up to the Mountain” would have been impossible.

4. Dani says:

Allison vs Crystal??!! you are EVIL!

5. SharonM says:

I have to go with Allison.

6. Zach says:

I picked Crystal on Me & Bobby McGee. That was her best performance. But overall Allison is superior. She might have won for me for Someone to Watch over Me.

7. JayK* says:

I loved Cry Baby, but Bobby McGee was a Moment. An arrival. I get goosebumps just thinking about it. That was Crystal kicking down the door and announcing to the Idolverse, “Step aside, kiddies. THIS is how it’s done.”

8. Brecken P says:

Mindy Doo, J. Hud, and Carrie easily win their matchups for me. Crystal vs. Allison was tougher–I probably prefer Crystal overall over Allison by a little bit, but out of Crystal’s great performances (including Hand In My Pocket, Long As I Can see The Light, Give Me One Reason, You Can’t Always Get What You Want, Me And Bobby McGee, Come Together, Saved, People Get Ready, Falling Slowly, Maybe I’m Amazed, and Up To The Mountain), Me And Bobby McGee is probably my least favorite. Cry Baby is one of Allison’s best (though personally I preferred Alone), so I went with Allison.

9. Kevin says:

It’s getting tougher. I definitely would have chosen “Alone” for Allison, but “Cry Baby” was pretty good as well. And give some love to Alexis, everyone! She’s a stellar singer! Don’t let her lose to J-Hud!

10. Ems says:

I must be an idiot. Where do you vote? Does it not show up on the mobile website?

11. Ems says:

Ps, definitely Allison over crystal. That exit “cry baby” was so full of raw guts and rage and glory… Crystal was good but no Janis. For me crystal never really topped her “natural woman” audition.

12. Mia says:

I had never heard the Alexis Grace or Jennifer Hudson songs, but wow, Alexis blew that song UP! Very nice.

13. joan battaglia says:

Oh man def allison irahetas cry baby – allison left me with goosebumps and actually turned me into a cry baby!!! Allison iraheta by far one of the best singers idols ever seen!!

14. Mari says:

Allison Iraheta’s Cry baby will always be it for me, so much raw emotion and such power, it’s no doubt every single performance posted here is excellent, but that one does it for me.

15. Afagh says:

16. Jason S. says:

Where is Carly Smithson “Blackbird” and Lily Scott “Fixing A Hole” and Didi Benami “Playing With Fire”. Plus Slezak was doing producer manipulation in early rounds by putting two performances of contestants against each other assuring his favorites made the second round. Slezak = Nigel.

17. leathergoods says:

Where’s Pia’s greatest Idol performance? Oh, wait, there weren’t any.

18. Jason S. says:

slezak should start over and have the readers pick their top five performances of boys and girls. Add em all up and then make the brackets. Him choosing only his favorites made for a really weird poll with mostly sappy ballads and left out most of the cooler left of center performances.

19. Sad to see Diana Degarmo get knocked out, but Melida Doolittle did kill “My Funny Valentine”

20. Paul says:

LOVED Diana’s & Melinda’s performances– those 2 performances rank in the Top 10 of my personal favorites of all time. Hard to choose between the two, but I went with Mindy Doo.

I don’t think the Crystal/Allison matchup was even though, because that was by far NOT Crystal’s best performance.

21. Dolf G. from the Netherlands says:

I will write this in caps so you won’t miss it Michael!
    Don’t know how to reach you otherwise…

I found out something interesting when re-watching Idol with my headphones on:

So, they discuss their reaction to Haley, J Lo knew it would be safe to sweep the floor with Haley because Randy was backing her up.

I was shocked when I heard that (and only because I listened with my headphones on).
    What do you think of that, Michael?

22. Sandi says:

I picked Alison I.’s Cry Baby but, IMO, Papa Was a Rollin’ Stone was her best performance. And I loved almost everything Crystal B. put out there so it’s a tough call.

23. agrimesy says:

I liked Crystal Bowersox last season, BUT nobody . . . NOBODY tops Allison Iraheta singing Cry Baby that night!

24. Princess Adora says:

I think I’ve figured out who it’s gonna come down to. I know who I want to win, but it’s hard to say if it’ll happen…THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!!! Awesome tournament idea Slezak!! ^_^

25. Vetle says:

Allison vs. Crystal is BRUTAL! I had to chose Allison though, but Crystal is my second favorite idol, of all time. :|

Also, Alexis Grace vs. Jennifer Hudson… *sigh*. I picked Alexis though.

26. JVC says:

I agree with you Vetle. I mean it was easy for the others (Dolittle, J. Hud, and Carrie for round 3). But Alison vs. Crystal i was like “DARN YOU SLEZAK! Making me choose between these two, I can’t believe i’m using the phrase but “bodacious babes!”” Ultimately I had to choose Alison, again she should’ve at least finished 3rd instead of Danny “Dream On, Scream On!” Gokey. Go for it Iraheta!

27. Georgia says:

This was a very tough round, and I felt like “Sophie’s Choice”. I loved all of these performances. What a stellar group of female artists.

28. brookkieee says:

I might be the only person in the known universe who voted for brooke over carrie. It’s an odd matchup anyways – sensitive singer-songwriter type vs power-belter type. Carrie’s Alone was significant because it announced her arrival as well as displayed her vocal chops. But did you actually sense any yearning from her of being Alone? Compare it to Allison & Carly, both whom sang Alone with that certain desparation that makes the song so haunting. Brooke might not have a 16-octave range or lung power, but she always made you feel the song.

29. Jurybox says:

why doesn’t the Melinda vs. Diana voting box pull up on my screen? Argghh. This happens all the time – all the voting boxes don’t load up – I have to keep refreshing until the box finally appears. Haven’t gotten the Melinda/Diana box to come up and I’ve refreshed about 10 times. They need to fix this site – make it work with Safari, for one – I always switch to chrome to view the site cause the scripts don’t work on Safari. Come on, TVLine – some of us have Macs!

• Jurybox says:

So I refreshed one more time and it worked! Like my mom says, “the squeaky wheel gets the grease.”

But they still need to work on the tech stuff….

30. Linda says:

Slezak –

Alison’s “Cry Baby” EXIT performance was killer! But I think it’s a little UNFAIR for you to have that against Crystal’s COMPETITION performance. When the pressure of judging is off, everyone sings better. It’s not fair to Crystal.

31. Meyling says:

No one has brought this up, but I’m in the minority with Brooke’s Let it Be vs Carrie’s Alone. I thought Alone was a great vocal, but ehh. It was lacking something.

And Allison vs Crystal was a no brainer because of the performances you chose. Crystal had much better performances than Me and Bobby McGee.

32. Jason says:

Wow the four pictures on this page. Could you find four fuglier performers?

33. whootowl says:

Allison’s “Cry Baby” and Crystal’s “Me and Bobby McGee” were both phenomenal performances, but could anyone ever connect more emotionally to song than Allison did that night? Truly mind blowing.

I would have liked to have seen Allison’s “Alone” up against Carrie’s “Alone”. I believe the results of that vote would’ve demonstrated Allison’s true caliber of talent.

34. Portia says:

Where is Bowersox’s Up to the Mountain? Crystal and Lee gave us the highlights of last season, and Bobby McGee was certainly one of them. But, for me, for you, for me, Mountain was the biggest “moment” of the season.

35. ThereasonsY says:

GA-DAMN! Is it me or are the woman performances unevenly matched? Like the best of the best is knocking each other out in round two. How can Brooke’s amazing Let It Be even compete with Carrie’s Alone? I still remember waking up from a 104 fever listening to Carrie perform this live and I had to call in and vote.

36. Salvador says:

I love crystal but I had to pick Allison she can sing any genre plus that unique emotion and power she is so amazing, how about ALLISON’s alone there are two the yahoo I think vs carrie’s alone v. please slezak

37. amberen says:

hey there and thank you on your information ? I’ve certainly picked up something new from proper here. I did then again experience some technical issues using this site, since I skilled to reload the website a lot of times prior to I may just get it to load properly. I had been brooding about if your web hosting is OK? No longer that I am complaining, but slow loading instances times will sometimes impact your placement in google and could damage your high quality rating if ads and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I’m including this RSS to my email and can glance out for a lot more of your respective exciting content. Make sure you update this again very soon..