Private Practice: Who Will Be Hit Hardest By the [Spoiler]? Plus Scoop on the 'Riveting' Finale

Private Practice this week uncorked a few whoppers that a lesser show would let suffice as a season finale.

You had a wedding that was, and then wasn’t… but ultimately was, plus an emotional break-up for two lovebirds -– Addison (Kate Walsh) and Sam (Taye Diggs) — whom many had hoped were in it for the long haul, baby talk drama be damned.

But lest you think the ABC series didn’t leave itself any juicy cards to play for the season finale airing May 19, fret not. Your jaw will be dropped, to hear cast members tell it.

Kate Walsh on Private Practice‘s Finale (‘So Much Happens!’) and the Arrival of a Sexy Bratt

But before we get into the how and what of the season-ender, let’s circle back to Charlotte and Cooper’s Las Vegas elopement, which though rational and romantic, will have its critics back home at Oceanside Wellness.

“We’re given a hard time by our friends, that’s for sure,” Paul Adelstein told TVLine at Thursday’s TV Academy Honors event in L.A.

Yes, cutting out on your well-planned and well-attended nuptials is a bit of a social faux pas. But beyond the dissed RSVP list, watch for a member of the wedding party to feel especially scorned by the elopement.

“It’s tough for Amelia, because she was really touched [to be asked to maid of honor],” shares Caterina Scorsone. “She tried really hard to make it perfect because she’s not a very perfect girl, and then they went and eloped. So she takes it pretty hard.”

Ask Ausiello: Scoop on the Private Practice Season Finale’s Final 30 Seconds

Amelia and any other Oceansiders feeling shunned likely will shake it off soon enough, as Private Practice‘s season finale promises to “shock and surprise you left and right,” says KaDee Strickland.

“Oh man…” Adelstein marvels when asked to tease what’s coming up. “In keeping with [series creator] Shonda [Rhimes], it features an amazing twist.” He goes on to sum up the hour as “totally riveting and terrifying, and unexpected. “

No one is spilling on the precise nature of what portends to leave viewer mouths agape, but Strickland says that after giving a first read to the very last scene, “I could not believe it. I don’t know where we’re going to be next season. “

Adds Scorsone, almost redundantly in light of the above: “It is not to be missed!” (With reporting by Megan Masters)

1. xav says:

So, what are the odds that Amelia is pregnant and will give the baby to Addison? Pretty good. I would be okay with that scenario. Addie and Amelia raising a baby together would be the best show ever.

• Jen says:

This I would LOVE! Amelia and Addison raising a kid would be the best twist they could ever come up with. Who says Addison needs a man to finally get her baby.

• Claudy says:

I thought of that as well and have been cringing about it. A little bit awkward/too close for comfort, don’t you think? We don’t want another Violet/Lucas incident again. (Not equating Amelia with Violet, but ultimately…she’d be the mother. IF she indeed is pregnant as we suspected. And we’ve already seen what could unfold from a mother who changed her mind. My point is – it’ll be weird.)

• Mary says:

I don’t think Amelia is pregnant. But I hope Addison adopts and Addison and Sam is over for good. He is an arrogant jerk who doesn’t deserve her. And their relationship ruined everything between Sam, Naomi and Addison and almost the whole show! Amelia can be the aunt of Addy’s adopted baby and she and Addison’s friends can help her with the baby.

• Justine says:

No chance. Women on Grey’s Anatomy and Private Practice stay with their verbally abusive, controlling, patronizing boyfriends, who suck all the live out of them and treat them like doormaths. That’s truuue luuurve, don’t you know. If Addison doesn’t get a new, better boyfriend next season I’m done with this show.

2. mkegirl says:

At first I thought Amelia was pregnant too, but then I remembered she is an addict. I’m guessing the sip of champagne plus getting “scorned” at the wedding means she’ll start drinking or using again.

• xav says:

I thought that at first too but she’s drank before on the show, I’m sure.

• MadameDame says:

The summary from ABC says “a struggling Amelia slips further away from sobriety”.

• xav says:

But that doesn’t have to do with alcohol. Her drug of choice was pills, like Charlotte.

• Jen says:

Amelia once said alcohol makes her want to go back to pills, it’s a trigger for her. The one can easily turn into a substitute drug for the other too.

• teniba says:

When Amelia first apeared on PP, Her, Sam and Addison were drinking wine on Addi’s deck (when she asked what’s goin on between sam & addi), i remember her drinking soooo many times with Addi, with Addi & Sam on the deck… I think it’s pregnancy!

• Jamie says:

Amelia is not pregnant. Read the episode description:

“God Bless the Child” – A second trip to the ER sparks concern for Betsey’s well-being and prompts the doctors to launch an investigation into her new foster family — risking sending the little girl back into the system. Meanwhile, Naomi makes a life changing decision for her family, and a struggling Amelia slips further away from sobriety, on “Private Practice,” THURSDAY, MAY 12 (10:01-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

• xav says:

You can see here that she’s doing shots and drinking beer with Cooper and Sam. I think that’s why Pete gave her the funny face. He wouldn’t have thought it was strange if she didn’t drink, right?

3. Bella says:

I’m wondering if the medical board is either going to close them down or appoint someone to supervise them.

• Claudy says:

Maybe that’s where the Conor character comes in. I guess we’ll see.

• teniba says:

that could be it he arrives because of that and then he ends up in bed with addison…. the timing of his arrival is too much in sync with addisam downfall… I hope they cast a new girl for Sam as soon as possible…

• céline says:

ohh, you may have a point. Maybe Conor does have something to do with that and he’s gonna offer something related to the practice to Addison.

4. Alec says:

I Want AddiSam to get back together. ugh!

• lorna says:

NO! They were terrible. Kept secrets from each other, lied, and no chemistry. Although now I’m going to be called a racist simply because I don’t like a couple who happen to be different races. Welcome to the internet folks!

5. Danielle says:

Addison is pregnant.

• Lauren says:

That isn’t guess too. That pregnancy test was wrong and she ends up being pregnant. Notice she never sipped her champagne?

• angi says:

I agree. I think Addison had a one night stand or something with the Benjamin Bratt Character and now she’s pregnant and that’s how he comes into the picture.
      I also think that Amelia wanted not to drink but someone else took her gingeר ale – Addison.

6. Danny says:

Katie, who apparently never goes away, returns to blow up Oceanside Wellness–a la Kimberly’s 1995 season-ending act on “Melrose Place”–to cement her revenge against Violet, once and for all. Ya think?

7. Eve says:

I think the board will shut down Oceanside Wellness, which won’t shock us all since that is what this episode implied would happen, and with the quote above “I don’t know where we’re going to be next season” that kind of also backs up that they will all be out of Oceanside and not working together. That’s my guess.

8. Ingmar says:

I have a feeling the practice will be sold or something, and that that becomes known in the last 30 seconds.

9. MusicFan says:

I agree!

10. teniba says:

I know he since has supported her, but does anybody remember that Peter told Violet, her book is a very bad idea?

11. S. says:

If ABC was even remotely clever the Addison says yes to a new job with Connor leaving the rest behind, and next season starts with all new characters except for Addison and Connor.

Cooper and Charlotte are married in happy ever after land. As far as characters go they finished their journey, it has been boring and long enough already. Let them go in to the sunset. Or what are they going to to with them next season, rape or kill their parents? Again?

Violet and Pete are also in happy ever after land, and, if the practice is closed, they can also go their own way together. What are they going to do to them next season? Get Violet attacked by another patient? Kill her parents? Kill Lucas? That would actually be a good idea, except that Violet in pain is so annoying that it would kill the show with the infant if the viewers had to go through one other cycle of that.

The only people that hasn’t finished her journey is Addison. Sam and Sheldon are men, and men in Shondaland are props. They don’t get a journey. Amelia is barely a character, she is just an annoying brat who’s only argument and excuse is that she saw her dad get killed.

Still they could keep Sam around because he is Addison’s neighbor, and Amelia because she lives with Addison and get rid of the dead weight.

12. Daniella says:

It’s obvious the practice is breaking up. Conor offers Addison an incredibe offer out of state. We’ll be left with this as a cliffhanger. Either Addison takes it and they all relocate or she turns it down. We will not find out until next season.

Pay attention! Amelia is NOT pregnant. She goes to NA meetings and is not allowed to drink. She was drinking with Sam and Cooper BEFORE she started going back to NA meetings with Charlotte. In the rape episode while giving Charlotte an MRI she told Charlotte she was slipping and starting to drink again. Charlotte suggested they go to NA meetings together. Charlotte even said something to her about them being junkies and going to NA meetings last night. PAY ATTENTION because I hate having to explain every thing to people who jump to conclusions because they don’t watch or pay attention.

• Monique says:

Aren’t you a little angry with people you don’t know over a story that’s not even real? I love the show as much as anyone else, but perhaps you should PAY ATTENTION to reality and calm down a bit. :) Life is too short to get so worked up!

• Daniella says:

Sorry if stupid people who post stupid stuff they should know if they watch the show get under my skin.

13. céline says:

Amelia is not pregnant, she realized she had alcohol problems so she decided to stop drinking, that’s why she asked for ginger ale.

I really hope the cliffhanger is about Addison this times, it’s about time!! I doubt she’s pregnant though… And I hope that Addie and Sam are over good! Thi relationship ruined Addie, she was always sad and he is always so self-absorbed, she deserves better. Thank you for the spoilers!!

14. Gellie says:

I think Addison will decide to adopt Betsy.

15. Robin says:

I was puzzled by the spitting out of the drink by Amelia too…I took it as forshadowing of something. I definitly think the medical board is going to be invesitgating the practice as a whole and not just focusing on Violet anymore…which could mean it will be closed or that they all are potentially losing their license to practice…depending on what they find…which we will not learn until the fall.

16. Aimee says:

i agree about the drink foreshadowing something but i dont think addison will adopt betsy ithink naomi will

17. Lifer says: