Exclusive

Exclusive: Dexter 'Getting Back To its Roots'

It’s out with the new and in with the old as Dexter heads into its sixth season.

Dexter this season will be in some ways a return to the Dexter that you’ve seen in the early seasons,” Showtime president David Nevins told TVLine at Thursday’s 4th Annual Television Academy Honors in Beverly Hills. “There’s a really interesting story and journey that he’s going to be on this year. There’s going to be some degree of getting back to his roots.”

Meet the New Blood That Will Populate Dexter‘s Sixth Season

And that includes putting the focus back on the sibling dynamic at the heart of the show. “There will be a microscope on the Deb/Dexter relationship this season,” Nevins revealed. “Over time you’re going to see that relationship evolve and change, no questions about it.”

Season 6 — production on which begins later this month ahead of a fall premiere — will be similar to Season 5 in at least one key way: Dexter won’t face off against a singular menace a la Trinity and the Ice Truck Killer. “It is not one big bad,” he confirmed. “There’s one interesting story that will move through the season, and it will be cast very interestingly, but it’s not exactly that one person.”

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, News, Previews, Scoop, Spoilers

1. Stehpo says:

Finally going to see the cult who tried to kill Dexter in the books?

• hi stehpo says:

Doubtful (which is good since I thought that the third book was awful) mainly because the show technically only bought the rights to the first book and so after that they’ve been free to tell *their* Dexter story and not so free to tell stories from the books.

• Rob says:

Although I wouldn’t mind seeing the Alana Acosta character in the series, I don’t know if the Cannibal Cult will work on TV. Even if the show had the rights to other books, a lot of the stuff that worked in the books would not work on TV. One thing that worked well in the books that would be hokey on TV is Cody and Astor having their own Dark Passengers and Dexter training them like Harry did to them.

2. JOSH says:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU MICHAEL!

3. NickC says:

Soooooooooooooooooo glad to read not only will Deb be a part of the season but a BIG part.It’s good to know they can still work together….great news.

4. AlistairCrane says:

I hope Dexter FINALLY gets caught this season—not just by Deb but by EVERYONE. The dramatic fallout of the Dexter revelation—like LaGuerta learning he framed Doakes—will be amazing.

• Amy says:

Hmm, not sure about everyone finding out but it definately sounds like Deb will finally find out if Dexter/Deb is going to be the focus. Can’t wait!

5. Megan says:

I don’t get it though. Last year they said before the start of the season that it wouldn’t be “a season finale with a big bad strapped to Dexter’s table,” when actually it was exactly that. How was Jordan the evil inspirational speaker not a “Big Bad?” He totally was! I just hope this season is better, the cop-out at the end of last season REALLY sucked, I was so excited Deb was about to catch him and then she just leaves? UGH.

• mst3k says:

I agree with you. Also, I am dissapointed that the last two female leads not named Morgan left the show. It took me a while to warm up to Julia Stiles’ character, but when I finally did she inexplicably goes back to her old life, leaving Dexter. Rita should never have been killed off.
      I can not buy Deb the homicide detective letting a mysterious, revenge driven serial killing couple just leave that house because she was “totally down” with killing rapists. Blarg…

• Marfa says:

I think that Debra knows, in the back of her mind, what Dexter really is. That’s why she let them go, because she doesn’t want to be the one to “out” her brother. We don’t see what we don’t want to see.

• Rob says:

I guess the showunners didn’t consider him the Big Bad because he really wasn’t revealed until midway throught the season.

• LoopyChew says:

It was Lumen’s kill table; that’s why they got away with saying that.

6. Aiden says:

I am so looking forward to this. The Dexter producers proved last season that they’re willing to take risks and shake things up in a super creative way, that they can keep the flow and interest and excitement going despite a hugely successful previous one.
    I thought they can’t possibly follow the intense Trinity Killer arc well, but they did in a unique and unexpected way with Lumen, Liddy, and the crazy Jordan Chase, along with Dexter’s satisfying character development. I don’t have huge expectations, I just know Dexter Season 6 is in good hands, and we’re assuredly in for a real treat.

7. Chris says:

You’d think the Dexter formula would be dull after 5 seasons, but no. I’m looking forward to this year almost more than any other. Love how the show have kept the interest up with the realistic and mind-blowing twist and turns they put in this serial killer’s double life. Dex has developed and we’ve had a variety of badass villains, and I’m still at the edge of my seat to see how our anti-hero is gonna handle the next big bads.

8. Mikey M says:

How terrible would it be to marry your costar, stay together for a year and break up and then…have to go back to work with them.
    Never date a coworker.

9. Marfa says:

There is one loose end in Dexter that I hope the writers don’t just forget about it. After Rita’s death Dexter gets in his boat and he takes off. He stops in an almost deserted place where he meets a guy and kills in a horrible and totally careless way. We never hear about this murder again. Is that going to be his final undoing? Or are the writers just going to sweep it under the rug and forget all about it? I have to wonder.

10. dgman says:

Big Deb fan here. How big? Like since I saw her in White Chicks big!

11. DL says:

I happen to love Deb. *shrug*
    And I think Jennifer Carpenter is fantastic in the part. Wish she’d get more recognition.

12. postsalot says:

Totally agree – Stiles was great last season but for me Jennifer Carpenter keeps getting the shaft recognition-wise when she’s actually made Deb into a super interesting/fun character who can carry another storyline in the show.

She’s kept that on the verge of freaking out, cursing personality from the first season and yet somehow evolved Deb into someone who is super competent at her job.