Ratings: Happy Endings' First Bit of Sad News

ABC’s comedy cavalcade delivered an impressive .800 batting average this Wednesday, as four of the network’s five laffers enjoyed week-to-week increases.

The Middle (7.14 million viewers/2.0) and bubble comedy Better With You (5.5 mil/1.6) started the night right, registering demo gains of 11 and 7 percent, respectively, while drawing more total viewers as well. The 9 o’clock hour then saw (a terrific episode of) Modern Family (9.64 mil/3.8) and Cougar Town (5.6 mil/2.2) inch up in the demos.

Alas, come 10 pm, Happy Endings suffered the first major stumble of its freshman run, plunging some 20 percent in the demo and even more in total viewership.

Elsewhere on Wednesday:

8/7c | American Idol led the night with 20.6 million viewers and a 6.4 demo rating, dipping ever so slightly week-to-week by up a hair from a year ago. Survivor held steady with 10.7 mil/a 3.0 rating.

9/8c | Criminal Minds was the night’s most-watched scripted program with 12.8 million viewers, but was down 9 percent in the demo (with a 3.2). Fox’s Breaking In (7.25 mil/2.5) slipped a bit.

10/9c | Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior (8.75 mil/2.1) claimed a slim win win in total viewers, while SVU (8.3 mil/2.5) topped the demos, gaining 4 percent from its last fresh outing.

What’d you watch Wednesday?

1. Farley says:

All I cared about last night was the “Justified” season finale. It was sooooooooooooooooo good! How will I wait until next season?!?!

2. Buffy Freak says:

So surprised to see how many people tune out after Modern Family and skip Cougar Town. They seem like such a great pairing.

• davey says:

It also surprises me – since Cougar Town is usually the funnier show. Poor Happy Endings, I dig it, but it’s ratings are really starting to plummet!

• Carrie says:

I like “Modern Family”, but I always skip “Cougar Town”. I can’t stand that show. The characters behave too immaturely.

• dave says:

My lord Cougar Town is excruciatingly horrible. If they got rid of the son, might give it another go. But that kid is beyond annoying to look at. And we got enough Monica with Friends. Do we really need the exact same character down in Florida?

Now Happy Endings OTOH. Damn I hope people start tuning in. That show has some serious legs. Funny as hell.

3. man in black says:

So what exactly were the numbers for Happy Endings?? You didn’t even mention them! What’s the point of talking about it when you’re not going to give the whole story…

• davey says:

1.7 / 4.0 million viewers…pretty low.

• man in black says:

damn that sucks… the show’s so funny, i really hope it pulls through!

• SusieQ says:

I hope so as well. I really like the show but it came on so late in the season I totally forgot to watch it last night or DVR it. I DVR the whole ABC block after 9pm. :-( I have it set now, and will have to watch it online, I just hope that can count as something.

• Sunshiny says:

Agreed – such a funny show, it really deserves to keep going. Drop it in after Modern Family and watch it take off!

• Amanda says:

I really like Happy Endings, but I do not like the Penny(Casey Wilson) character at all!

4. Dijea says:

JUSTIFIED was all I watched. What an incredible show. Too short a season though, would love to see 20+ episodes per season. If there aren’t some Emmy nods out of that show I would say they were robbed.

5. laserian says:

Even though it is a low rating, according to the Futon Critic “Happy Endings” still “improved Wednesday’s 10 o’clock hour year to year for ABC in Adults 18-49 (+33%) and Adults 18-34 (+88%), over original drama programming on the same night last year.” I love this show, but a 10 – 11 PM time slot is a hard sell for a comedy. Great cast, I hope ABC gives it a better time slot and run next season.

6. luke says:

no wonder Happy Endings did so poorly last night… “Krav Maga” episode (06) was garbage, bottom of my 6 year old running shoe has a better understanding of world views… I love when these guys in California who face 4 pm traffic as their toughest daily challenge start writing/spewing garbage like this… luckily people who watch tv these days have attention spans of a gold fish just before you flush it down the toilet so no harm done!!!

7. Mark says:

ABC needs to revamp their Wednesday nightline up. They need to Cancel that show that comes on before Modern Family, it is terrible. Put Modern Family at 8, The Middle at 8:30 Cougar Town at 9 and Happy Endings at 930. Then they can put on some drama or something at 10, Happy Endings deserves a better slot than 10pm that is a death slot for a half hour comedy.

• mads says:

I agree. Happy Endings deserves a better time slot. I really hope they pick it up for another season cause so far I love it.

8. John says:

I was glad to see Justified finish up a story line I hated. I really didn’t sign on to watch a bunch of drug dealers and murderers.

Happy Endings needs a lot of work, and a couple of the characters are miscast. At least the dialogue was a bit less cringe worthy this time around.

• NickC says:

I respect that you have your own opinion but Justified is about a LAWman.Killers/Drug dealers are a big part of that world.It’s like saying”I like GREYS but i wish there wasn’t any sex or sick people”….

• Amber says:

I agree with Nick. What on earth did you sign on to watch for in Justified? Without the murderers and drug dealers, you don’t really have any conflict in the show. It’s just Raylan and Ava or Winona living happily ever after while Boyd is depressed working an honest life in the mines. I’m also under the impression that drugs are a pretty big part of the whole Dixie mafia culture, so it would have to be a part of the show.

9. Ben says:

Such a shame about Happy Endings. I started watching it knowing it probably wouldn’t get another season, ans just saw it as a bit of fun. Then last week it increased and I got my hopes up, now I love the show and it’s as good as dead.

10. Amy says:

I really like Happy Endings and would like to see it stick around. Here’s hoping ABC gives it a chance and a better timeslot!

11. jonathan says:

the people who arent watching this show: this is genuinely hysterical
    on Modern Family level of funny
    i am obsessed

12. billk says:

I was there up to Cougar Town. Don’t get the whole cougar thing and find that the few times I watched it my attention shifted to something else and never remember the end of it. As to the 10 pm hour shows, too busy getting ready to call it a night to watch so-so comedies. I get up early.

• AlistairCrane says:

LOL you’re ignorant. No one on Cougar Town is a cougar–the title is a misnomer!

• Carrie says:

I don’t think there was any need to call that person ignorant. Courtney Cox’s character does date younger guys and there’s another character on the show who is a total ‘cougar’. Cougars are women who go after younger men. Plus, the show is called “Cougar Town”. What else is a person to think?

13. Jon says:

I love Happy Endings. I think the problem was giving us two episodes back-to-back. Happy Endings overload. We need a break in our night to get a snack, run to the bathroom, prep for bed, etc. One episode of Happy Endings and a repeat of Cougar Town or Modern Family would’ve been better.

14. bmospr04 says:

ABC has a nice Comedy arsenal but they have to find the right day and line up. 2 shows on Monday? They shouldn’t have comedies @ 10pm. No half hour shows perform well @ 10 pm. I wonder if ABC feels strongly abotu Cougar Town to let it stand alone on a different day. Hopefully they bring back Happy Endings. I agree they could dial down Penny’s role a bit. Just a bit

15. Cosmab says:

Modern Family and watched Todd Stashwick’s scene on Better with You. He’s always Great!

16. OK says:

I love Happy Endings. I hope they keep the show. “I’m deflecting bullets!”

17. Amber says:

I also only cared about the season finale of Justified, but I did turn on Modern Family after that was over. Justified was a pretty good finale, don’t you think? (Spoiler alert!) Dicky got super scary, Mags remained her scary self, Loretta finally lost it, Winona is pregnant (I did not see that one coming, and neither did Raylan), we said goodbye to dirty police chief Doyle, Raylan almost got killed TWICE, Art proved himself to be the best friend Raylan has, Boyd returned to his unflinching criminal ways, and Mags did the unthinkable. I did see her suicide coming the second she pulled out her apple pie moonshine, but the show is good enough that it made me second guess what was going to happen in those last few minutes. There was real fear in Raylan’s eyes that also made me ask, “What did you do, Mags????” Action packed!

18. Cat says:

Noooooo! Happy Endings has been one of this season’s nicest surprises. I hope it weathers the storm somehow :)

19. D. Marie says:

I was worried about Happy Endings after the pilot but, man, did they pull through. How can you not love that show? I’m laughing at it way more than Modern Family. Happy Endings may need Modern Family’s time slot. I wouldn’t be mad.

20. john says:

I’m so with you guys! It’s seriously my new favorite show and makes me laugh out loud more than modern family. Please keep it around and get rid of better with you.

21. Eli numerical says:

Love happy endings, me and my wife watch it every Wednesday.