Greatest Idol Moment Round 2 Continues: Jordin Vs. Katharine, La Toya Vs. Tamyra, and More!

Who’s ready for a diva-off? Yes, folks, it’s Round 2, Day 2 of’s American Idol All-Time Greatest Performance Bracket Tournament, and we’ve got the Season 6 champ facing off against the Season 5 runner-up, a pair of beloved fourth-place finishers in a heated duel, and two of the show’s most vocally powerful winners (Kelly and Fantasia) going up against upstarts from Seasons 9 and 10. Steel yourselves, Idoloonies, because you’ve got tough choices ahead. Then again, nobody ever said it would be easy to pare down the field in our 64-player tourney, which is composed of the most electrifying moments in the 10-season history of Fox’s ratings behemoth. It’s your job to vote in these single-elimination faceoffs, and decide which 16 Idol Moments advance to our third round.

Every day around 1:00 p.m. ET over the next few weeks, we’ll launch a new set of duels to the death that will have you joyously reliving your favorite Idol moments and biting your nails wondering how in the heck you’re gonna choose between ’em.

Before you head to the polls, you may want to peruse these memory-refreshing links to the performances entering the ring this afternoon:

Performance Links!
Fantasia Barrino, ”Summertime” (Movie Night)
Kendra Chantelle, “Georgia on My Mind
La Toya London, “Don’t Rain On My Parade
Tamyra Gray, “A House Is Not a Home
Kelly Clarkson – “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman
Siobhan Magnus – “Paint It Black
Jordin Sparks – “I Who Have Nothing
Katharine McPhee – “Over The Rainbow

‘Idoloonies’: Paul McDonald on ‘Blackbird,’
Crazy Dancing, and…Adam Lambert Comparisons?

It’s gonna be brutal seeing four of those great Idol moments snuffed out before the Round of 16, no? So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Round 2 voting will be open for 72 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks.

Greatest ‘Idol’ Performance (Day 8): Carrie, Brooke, Allison and Crystal Enter the Arena!

And if you’re interested in the matchups we’ve got planned for the coming weeks and how the first four days of matchups played out, click here to check out the entire 64-player bracket (then click again for a zoomed in view), and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. MSD says:

First three: SO easy.. Kelly, Jordin Fantasia—- and then, the moment I sadly new was coming- Tamyra v. Latoya–two of my favorite female contestants ever (both stiffled at #4). I gave the edge to Tamyra because I saw her as Mimi in Rent on Broadway and I still get choked up thinking about how stellar she was.

• Fsd says:

Why the heck is Kendra even listed here!!! She didn’t even make the Final 12. So random to put that little turkey legs there.

• For reals? Do you have any musical sense? Kendra’s 2 performances on the Idol stage were incredible and the judges choosing Ashthon over Kendra for the top 13 was one of the most shocking travesties I’ve seen on the show.

• ErinL says:

Agreed! It was pretty obvious after the sign-off that the wildcard results were pre-determined. No other explanation for not putting her through to top 12 after that last performance.

• Erin L says:

SHAME on you! Anyone who watched Kendra – the few times they actually showed her performances on TV – could see her talent. Watching her final wildcard performance was like nothing I’ve ever seen or heard before. Simply amazing, what a loss to the show and all of America that they didn’t put her through.

• Michael says:

I like Kendra but I don’t think that she gave one of the best performances ever by an AI female contestant, not even close. But…just 1 opinion. I don’t claim to be an expert.

@Michael Bauer…you don’t need to have “musical sense” to know what is pleasing to your ears. And, I’m sure that there are plenty of people WITH musical sense who might not like the shrill tone of her voice.

• ErixN says:

Thank you! I do think Kendra has a nice voice, but I do not get what everyone else is seeing/feeling when she performs. It’s empty and doesn’t seem genuine. Her performances lacked connection and it appeared that she was not staying true to herself (trying to be someone she’s not). I agree that it’s weird that she’s in this competition.

• Ablo says:

For me — I never thought Kendra was all that good. I don’t mean she was awful, just kind of meh. I think her duet with Paul was more Paul than Kendra. However, regardless of that — she didn’t make it to the top 12, so putting her in is odd. It says more about Michael than anything else.

• fastlabs says:

Kendra wild card performance was amazing and I would love to hear more of her music!

• BurnThis says:

How is it even close between Fantasia and that girl I didn’t remember and still don’t after watching the video? Summertime was one of the most memorable Idol moments ever. It’s crazy. Kendra must have one heck of a big family!

2. Winnie says:

Win or lose, Katharine McPhee’s over the rainbow is my choice. Love love love her version of it. Also La Toya London’s Don’t Rain on My Parade was magical. Kendra is another underrated one. She really was very very good in Georgia on My Mind.

• tuppy says:

Katharine’s Over the Rainbow is, hands down, the best Idol performance of all time. Jordin is lovely, but I Who Have Nothing does not compare. Please go back and listen to them again before you vote if you’re not already convinced.

• B.Rich says:

Agreed, actually 4 of my all time favorites were in this group. Over the Rainbow, Natural Woman, Summertime, and Paint it Black. And you can now add Haley’s House of the Rising Sun to that list.

• Dallas says:

Just asking here, but did anyone have Carly Smithson’s “Blackbird” on a favorites list?? It is way up on mine.

• CB says:

I nearly forgot about Carly Smithson, but she was lovely!!! yes yes she deserves a place amongst these women.

3. OliversMom says:

Oops. Need to change my Kendra vote. I forgot who she was. She was the one in S. 10? I want to vote for her over Fanty.

As for LaToya and Tamyra…didn’t like either so didn’t vote. Kat McPhee vs. Jordin. Difficult but voted for Jordin because I like the song better.

SOTR and Unchained Melody need to be retired.

4. Eric says:

I voted, Siobhan one of my favorite contestants ever. Kendra and Mcphee were my other choices. I personally didnt care for latoya or tamrya so i voted for tamrya

5. Tim says:

It kills me to have to choose between Jordin and Kat, those are two of my favorite performances of all-time.

6. For Tamyra Gray’s version of that song to hold up all these years later shows what kind of performance it was, and how much she completly choked and blew her shot of winning with that “I’m So Excited” performance. I really believe that if Tamyra didn’t choke she would have beaten Kelly Clarkson. It might have been close but I think she would have prevailed. She was just so good. I love Kelly and am glad she won, but up until the Top 4 Tamyra was killin it.

7. jaxguy says:

Wow how the world has changed and musical tastes have bottomed out. I loved Jordan Sparks, but to say you liked her I Who Have Nothing over McPhee’s milestone Over the Rainbow, because you don’t like the song, is….I have no words. Kate’s vocal was perfect!
    We must teach music in school so all they young people, if you are, get some culture and appreciation for great music. Over the Rainbow was the voted the GREATEST song of the 20th Century. It has to be one of the most beloved songs in history. I know you have an opinion but that one left me dumbstruck, confused and sad. And McPhee’s rainbow was masterful. I know I’m going to be bombarded with, “right to opinion,” “who are you,” or whatever but some things are blasphemy. Don’t like Kath, but trashing one of the greatest songs with one of the most gorgeous melody’s ever written has to be rebuked.

• Lily says:

I voted for Jordin over McPhee; I thought that, as you say, Kate’s vocal was perfect but workmanlike. Jordin was feeling her song deep down to her soul. Hard choice, but I went with the heartfelt, soulful singing over the precise, technical mastery.

• Drew says:

I will agree that Katharine’s vocal is incredible on that song. I’ll also agree with you in going against the bashers of such a fantastic and well-known song as Over the Rainbow. For me, I chose Jordin because it wasn’t just about the stunning vocal (which Jordin also had), but because of a true Idol moment. Katharine had just survived the shock elimination of Daughtry and needed to redeem herself. She did that in spades. It was a stellar performance. But for me, it wasn’t nearly as monumental as Jordin’s. Keep in mind, that was Top 11 week. They had just started the live shows in what everyone already thought would boil down to a Melinda-Lakisha final 2, she created such drama and flair, and command of the stage. That performance may not be the top 5 vocal of the series in my eyes, but it’s easily top 5 Idol Moments.

8. brandy says:

You put Kendra up against Summertime?? Are you kidding me?

• John Berggren says:

I’m actually shocked that she’s doing so well against Fantasia. I don’t think it’s a realistic contest if we’re being honest.

• fastlabs says:

I haven’t bought into the idea that America has made all the right choices on AI. My guess is there were others like Kendra Chantelle that didn’t get the air time they should have. I do believe that from what we saw of Kendra that she was deserving of a place in the top 12 and that her version of Georgia certainly deserved to be considered for one of the best performances on the show.

9. Robin Lemke says:

You put Siobhan against Kelly! Noooooo!!!! Kelly’s gonna win just because she’s Kelly but Siobhan’s performance really should be in the final rounds. It’s too good to throw under the bus like that!

10. Karrie says:

Kendra got my vote! Loved her and I’m still pissed that she didn’t get chosen over the wild card girls!

11. Liz says:

Kelly, Jordin, Kendra and LaToya so freaking easy!

12. Wally says:

Why is Katharine losing? :(

13. Geoff says:

I can’t believe Siobhan’s “Paint It Black” is even competing – that was one of the worst performances of the season. So cringe-inducingly, shriekingly bad I had to laugh my way through it. I didn’t mind some of her other songs, but….this one? Really?

14. Sandra says:

Siobhans paint it black was INCREDIBLE! I still listen to it today

15. Louis says:

When I think of “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” I don’t think of Judy Garland in “The Wizard of Oz”… I think of Katherine McPhee in what I feel was one of the best performances in Idol history.

• Pietro says:

agreed.I know kat had her ups and downs on idol. But “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” was a moment !!! I cried like a baby watching that, she just connects with that song in such a emotional level that jordin never did with any song during idol.

16. maj says:

this is getting SO hard!

17. Buster Cretin says:

Why isn’t there a Jordan Sparks/Lusky Stank showdown in the Diva category? Don’t you all know Lusky Stank has one of the best voices to grace the Idol Stage?

18. Jeff Y says:

I voted for Kendra Chantelle (was one of my 2 favorite idol performances of all time, the other was last year Didi Benami Rhiannon!)

Also voted for Magnus, Mcphee and gray!

Kendra got screwed! Most talented artist this season! She should be asked to come back and sing Georgia On My Mind on the season finale! Please make it happen! Please, Please Please!

• B.Rich says:

Nice call on Rhiannon, Didi was amazing on that and on Terrified. That season was promising until we lost Lilly Scott, Katelyn Epperly, Didi, and then Siobhan all way too soon.

19. Brecken P says:

I’m shocked the competition between Fantasia and Kendra is so close. Kendra came out, knowing she had to sing for her life, and delivered a great performance. Fantasia came out against much stronger competition and delivered perhaps the greatest performance ever on American Idol. Kendra wasn’t even the best of the night (Stefano’s “I Need You Now” trumps her performance), and her performance is unlikely even to be remembered past this season–I’d wager most Idol viewers outside of Slezak’s bubble of readers have already forgotten it. Fantasia’s performance is still one of the benchmarks by which all other performances are judged. It shouldn’t even be a contest.

As for the other matchups, I took Siobhan over Kelly (mostly as a protest vote since “Stuff Like That There” SHOULD have won that last round, but also because I think Siobhan’s was a worthy competitor that deserved SOME votes), Jordin over Katherine (Jordin’s had much more emotion and power, IMO, and I would probably place it in my all-time top 10), and Tamyra over LaToya (though both are among the most remarkable vocalists ever to grace the Idol stage).

20. AJ says:

Latoya is one of the most underrated contestants the show has ever had, and Tamyra is one of the must overrated.

21. Kevin says:

I think that Haley Reinhart’s House of the Rising Sun should be submitted into this tournament.

22. WillB says:

Poor Bonbon never had a chance. :( Best moment of season 9.

23. ghg says:

I don’t see the point. I think people are just voting according to who their favorite is, regardless of the particular performances.

• cnuck says:

Not true. Voted for Casey James’ ‘Jealous Guy’ over David Cook (in a different category here), solely based on that performance, though I love Cook much much more overall. If it had been Cook’s ‘First Time Ever I Saw Your Face’ however.. it would have been different.

24. ItsFridoyy says:

aww.. Siobhan’s going down. Ah well, you’re all going to lose to Kelly anyway so whats the point of this competition? -.-

25. matt says:

Without a doubt, Kat’s rendition of Over the Rainbow was the greatest on earth, nothing can compare to that. Jordin has to piss off, though i like ms. sparks. Katharine McPhee is the BEST

26. Malcolm says:

‘I Who Have Nothing’ in my opinion was superior to ‘Over The Rainbow’. They were both stellar but Jordin was just…a bit more magical. The dramatic vibrato towards the end “The window paneeeeeeeeeeeeee” was just awesome. Greatness.

27. Cindy says:

I didn’t start watching Idol until season 2, so was not really familiar with Tamyra. After watching the video, all I could think of was that Casey and Haley from the current season could learn a lot from her about the judicious use of the “growl.”

28. Suzanne says:

It’s so great to see Kelly back when she was slim.

29. Two of Kendra’s performances were incredible. Kendra has a nice voice. I was so upset that Kendra got booted off on American Idol. I voted for Kendra Chantelle. I love her songs. Kendra Chantelle is my favorite American Idol. I would love to hear more of her music.