Fall TV Preview

It's Official: X Factor Nabs Brit 'Brat' Cheryl Cole

The deal is done. As executive producer Simon Cowell foretold late last month, his U.S. port of The X Factor will feature Cheryl Cole — a fave from the original UK edition, where she has sat alongside Cowell for three cycles — as a judge.

A multi-platinum-selling solo artist and a member of Girls Aloud, one of the UK’s most successful female vocal groups of all time, Cole will sit at the Fox series’ dais with Cowell, recording industry vet Antonio “L.A.” Reid, and a fourth judge TBA (though likely to be Paula Abdul).

“I’m thrilled for Cheryl. She is massively excited about this show, and has been fantastic to work with,” Cowell said in a statement. “She is also a complete brat! Most importantly, this girl can spot talent.”

Cole is just as bloody enthused, saying, “I can’t decide whether I am more excited to find and nurture the talent, or for the unbelievable amount of amusement and entertainment I will have watching Simon doing everything and anything he can to beat me.”

Schooling U.S. viewers on her and Cowell’s long-running X Factor rivalry across the pond, she adds: “He’s tried to beat me for three years… and hasn’t even come close. His ego must be so bruised. America is gonna love this.”

What’s your current assessment of the crop of talent Cowell is amassing for Fox’s X Factor?

Comments (37)

• She has a conviction for assault and been accused of racism.She is also as fake as they come. Shocked he went with someone unknown in America.

Comment by teresa – May 5, 2011 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She was married to a black soccer player so I’m pretty sure the racism accusation doesn’t hold, don’t you?

Comment by Charles – May 5, 2011 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That was the reason for the marriage.

Comment by jay – May 5, 2011 06:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • As far as PR moves go, isn’t “marriage” a little extreme, versus, say, “donation to UNCF” or “sensitivity counseling”?

Comment by John – May 5, 2011 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Just because you marry a black guy does not make you racist (example – Mel Gibson) and just because it happened years ago doesn’t make it forgivable or irrelevant (extreme example – Osama. Crime not comparable but same deal, time does not heal all rounds).

Though that argument is old, still I don’t like her, she’s irritating and her music pedigree is debatable (and don’t give me album stats, plenty of crappy acts sell music). She’s gorgeous though so I’m sure she’ll be big like the many other pretty yet utterly useless reality tv girls.

Comment by Erin – May 5, 2011 05:45 PM PDT
          • Uh that would be doesn’t mean you are not racist and time doesn’t heal all wounds – frakkin iPhone.

Comment by Erin – May 5, 2011 05:48 PM PDT
    • Old news, move on, you’re getting boring. She was just 19, she paid her duties and she’s done extremely well since then.

Cheryl Cole will do great, give her a chance.

Comment by Alex – May 5, 2011 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was also EIGHT YEARS AGO. She was NINETEEN and was barely getting famous from Girls Aloud. She’s from a rough town. She has behaved since then. Give it a freaking rest.
      Cheryl Cole is amazing and I can’t wait for this to start. YAY!

Comment by Mel – May 5, 2011 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • (ala Mean Girls)
    “Stop trying to make Cheryl Cole happen…shes not gonna happen.”

If Paula indeed is the 4th judge– Simon honestly has created a 2nd tier judging panel (in the eyes of the general public). Especially if the panel on The Voice continues to be exciting and worthwhile.

Comment by MSD – May 5, 2011 06:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh please Shut up you haters. Glad CC is on the panel. She is a lovely girl with a wonderful personality and she is a marvellous entertainer. The Americans are going to enjoy her. So what that she punched a rude toilet attendant? Nobody knew Simon before American Idol either. Atleast the world knows CC. Americans are late. Within 15 minutes of her being announced, she is already trending worldwide. That did not happen for LA Reid so gimme a break.

All the haters have no solid grounds. If you don’t like her, dont watch it and stop commenting.

Comment by Lara – May 5, 2011 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited to hear this news! Cheryl Cole was the deciding factor in whether I would be watching or not. She’s completely charismatic and as a winner of a reality singing competition herself, brings a sense of understanding what these contestants are going through.

Can’t wait to see her on my tv (and hopefully hear her on US radio) this fall!

Comment by Vanessa – May 5, 2011 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I may actually care about XFactor now.

Comment by AL – May 5, 2011 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the choice. America might not know who she is, but they will very quickly.

Comment by Christina – May 5, 2011 07:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Cheryl Cole! Excellent news!

Comment by Alex – May 5, 2011 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Cheryl. Definitely excited about this now. I love Cheryl and Simon’s banter, it’s my favourite part of the show.

Comment by xav – May 5, 2011 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love how Americans are calling Girls Aloud a “female vocal group”. They’ve obviously never seen this: http://youtu.be/ZSIgojvlRLw

Comment by Ross – May 5, 2011 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Your beef is with Fox; that’s how Girls Aloud is typified in their press release.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – May 5, 2011 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sorry Matt, was only joking. I love Girls Aloud & Cheryl and very excited to see her on the show.

Comment by Ross – May 6, 2011 03:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My only problem with Cheryl judging the US version is that her accent may make it hard for many Americans to understand her. Otherwise, she’s always seemed very sweet and likeable on the Brit version of X Factor.

Comment by DonMI – May 5, 2011 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yes yes yes yes thank you simooooon cant waiiit!!!!

Comment by phill – May 5, 2011 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent choice.

Comment by SpyKi – May 5, 2011 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If U haven’t seen Cheryl on the X Factor UK yet, then just shut up. She’s the best judge (aside from Simon) u can imagine, she’s sweet, she’s fun to watch and she actually has a nose for talent.

So just wait and see, I think the USA will be pleasantly surprised with Cheryl!

Comment by Jake – May 5, 2011 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m with you, man. Well said!

Comment by Saulo – May 5, 2011 10:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m SO excited for Cheryl! She’s amazing.

Comment by kdzl – May 5, 2011 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited she is going to be on our version,love her on the British one. This show is going to be great!

Comment by nicoltate – May 5, 2011 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think a 50% British judging panel is a smart idea. The Voice is going to eat Simon’s lunch.

Comment by Chuck – May 5, 2011 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please keep her, America. She’s another in a long list of talentless bimbos, as you’ll soon find out, we seem to export on a regular basis. Looking at her is the ONLY reason for her ‘success’….and that always wears thin over time.

Comment by Michael – May 5, 2011 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Too true. I’m so glad she has this job. At least we are rid of the overhyped, self obsessed woman. How anyone can call her talented is beyond me. She has the worst voice of any of Girls Aloud.

So she behaves herself now and doesn’t glass people in rest rooms. Only because she came near to losing her fame and fortune. Dannii Minogue is a far better judge on the UK show but she isn’t up Cowell’s bum like Cole. We win all round.

Comment by sarah – May 5, 2011 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who is Cheryl Cole? I thought they said Cheryl Crow, and I got all excited. DAMN

Comment by Lil Jo – May 5, 2011 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Old joke from the British tabloid Daily Fail, I bet you’re British, because Cheryl Crow doesn’t exist, if you were a fan of her you would know that Crow goes by the name Sheryl, Sheryl Crow, nothing to do with Cheryl Cole.

Comment by Anna – May 5, 2011 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m from Ireland so I’ve seen the English version. She is the best judge on it and isn’t just one of those girls secretly in love with Simon… She fights back :)

Comment by Ian – May 5, 2011 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does it really matter? What with American Idol, The Voice, and the numerous other TV talent shows currently on, I really don’t see this show lasting very long.

Comment by Emily – May 5, 2011 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cheryl Cole is great on X Factor UK and she’s hot (of course), but I don’t know that she’d be a good hire for X Factor US.

Comment by DryedMangoez – May 5, 2011 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You haters have no idea how good Cole is. She has won X Factor UK twice and 2nd once from being there 3 years. Plus she knows what she is doing. She is going to be brilliant for this job. This is the best news ever and i can’t wait to see how it goes down.

Comment by Guy – May 5, 2011 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you think Simon Cowell is a great judge, wait until you see Cheryl Cole. She’s funny and smart and I can’t wait to see next Simon vs Cheryl round, which I’m pretty sure she’ll win.
    And by the way, guess who is gonna be in J-Lo’s Sexiest Woman spot next year?

Comment by Saulo – May 5, 2011 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can see a lot of confused faces in the future when they are trying to understand her accent….

Comment by Amanda – May 6, 2011 04:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @ teresa

Being accused of racism isn’t the same thing as being racist now is it. As others have pointed out she was married to a black footballer so clearly there’s no problem there. Her conviction for assault was a fight in a club toilet when she’d had too much to drink at 19. The other woman happened to be black so naturally assumptions were jumped to by the press. No excuse but she paid for it.

Just because America doesn’t know her doesn’t mean she can’t be cast. I’m pretty sure American’s are open to, you know, new faces. Besides, programmes air with new presenters or actors all the time. No one knew who Huge Laurie was or Ricky Gervais etc either.

There are plenty of tv/movie/reality personalities crossing between the UK and US anyway.

The chemistry she has with Simon is pretty unique too.

Give her a few episodes you may just warm to her.

Comment by Elly Davis – May 10, 2011 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post