Exclusive

Brothers & Sisters Scoop: ABC Plotting Abbreviated Final Season With Less Kitty

With Desperate Housewives‘ renewal assured now that series’ stars have have re-signedBrothers & Sisters remains the only veteran ABC series not picked up for next season.

Sources are now confirming that the network is exploring the idea of bringing the show back for an abbreviated sixth and final season that may feature less of Calista Flockhart’s Kitty.

For more details on this story, head over to our sister site Deadline.com.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, News, Renewals

1. Entertainment2u-Twitter says:

Well, I guess it would be nice if they could wrap up story lines and finish with a proper farewell. However, this show jumped the shark a LONG time ago and has been unbearable to watch this season. The only good part of the last ep was when the President broke in for the final minutes (for us East Coasters).

• Daniel says:

Complete and total DISagreement. I’ve enjoyed every episode of the series, despite the series’ cliches (ZOMG a family dinner erupts into chaos), but I think this season was pretty darn good. I’ll be sad to see it go.

• John Berggren says:

Could we please put “jumped the shark” to bed? It was cute for a while, but “jumped the shark” has jumped the shark.

• postsalot says:

Yes! Seriously, thank you.

• Caio says:

Why,if it describes what has happened tô this show? It was once my favorite show on tv, but it kept getting worse and worse, reusing storylines, untill most of the characters just became a parody of what they once were. It has jumped the shark, but that happened a couple of seasons ago.

I do think it deserves a proper send-off, for what it was, though I can’t see it having a good, well-written ending, specially since it looks like it’s gonna have 3 regulars at most next season.

• Jon says:

I think you ‘jumped the shark” by using that phrase “jumped the shark.” Give it a rest and come up with something new.

2. Rolfe says:

I still need to get caught up on this season, but I would love to see the show return for a sixth and final season. I do hope they find a way to use Sally as much as possible.

3. Barbara says:

Desperate Housewives should have not been renewed. They are truly desperate now.

4. Alberto says:

This season is crap. Please, stop this show, it used to be so interesting and emotional, now it’s just a soap opera!

5. Ingmar says:

I love B&S and it deserves a proper ending without a cliffhanger. Less Kitty I can live with, as long as she is there for the series finale.

• Linda says:

I love B&S as well and feel the same way. Kitty hasn’t been around that much this season and I haven’t missed her. I do miss Tommy though. Would like to see more of him, less of Sarah and Kevin and way more of Nora!! Love Sally Field!!!

6. M says:

The show is running on fumes, but I’m fine with an abbreviated run to tie things up. Same goes for One Tree Hill, is also on the bubble. Neither show warrants more than a half season victory lap at this point.

7. Kel says:

I’d like to see even a limited run for one more season to tie everything up. But, if cast members are going to breeze in and out it really impacts the show for me. Kitty, Sarah, Kevin and Nora – if any of these 4 are missing from an episode its just not as good. I’d prefer to see less episodes with the full cast than more episodes with half of them missing all the time.

8. Carly says:

How much less?! She is barely in this season as it is!!!

9. Pat says:

Please don’t have Getty in the final series, this last series has been really weak, but the episodes with him in have been beyond dreadful.

10. Matt says:

YES YES YES YES YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

11. Jen says:

Now bring back Jon Robin Baitz for it!! The fans deserve it!!

12. Linderella49 says:

I still enjoy the series, especially without “Tommy”. Kitty has been on very little this season withh very little impact. Let’s give B&S a nice sendoff next season and call it a day.

13. Thomas Theo says:

I’m praying every night before bedtime that it gets renewed. That’s how much I love this show. I love Kitty, but I guess no Kitty is better than no B&S.

It would be a good idea to renew the show for a few episodes (like 10 or 13) to wrap things up and end properly and with a bang. Even though I admit that a full season 6 would be too much and it would do horribly in the ratings.

14. Paula says:

I wish it would just end already. Season 4 was good but Season 5 is like a guessing game of “Who’s left in the cast?” for every episode. I was okay with diva Rob Lowe leaving and I thought they still did good when Rebecca left, but now Holly is nowhere to be found (and her story arc left totally unsatisfying) and now Kitty is AWOL most of the time. Honestly, there’s like no one left when they did the 100th episode. Worse, the stories are getting soap-opera cliche (paternity tests, baby papa drama) and ridiculous (someone’s doing pot and Nora’s a lesbian).

15. Erin says:

Rachel griffiths has openly said she’s unemployed so I’d say there’s no chance of renewal.

16. Sal says:

Avid fan of the show and feel this season has had some great moments ( infidelity issues with Kevin and Scottie, Sarah and her issues with Luc)
    I hope that ABC will at least have an shortened season so that the show can have a very satisfying finale. This is one of the best ensemble casts on ABC and hate to see it off the air after this Sundays’s cliffhanger finale.

17. Mayra says:

Without Kitty, it won’t be the same, and by that, I mean, they can’t pull it off. It starts with 5 brothers and sisters, now there’ll be 3. And Rebecca, Holly and Robert have left already. Come on, now!

18. anonymous says:

A shortened season to wrap things up sounds alright. The show is way past its prime but it would be nice for it to get a proper ending because I get the feeling it won’t if it ends after this season. The producers have been much too arrogant about the shows chance of renewal this year, which makes me think that they have not prepared for an ending.

If it comes back next year I hope they quit with the paternity and infidelity obsession and let Kevin and Scotty act like a real married couple instead of roommates.

19. Sammi says:

Very happy about this! The show definitely deserves a farewell season to have a proper ending. I was not a huge fan of season 4 but honestly I think season 5 has been really great. It seems to be focusing more on the core family which I really love. Less kitty is a little annoying bc I do like her a lot but I can live with it for a final season. Justin is my favorite character anyway!

20. Caro says:

This used to be one of my favorite shows but after Robert McCallister died, I stopped watching. It was too painful to see Kitty with another man and besides, the show already lost the great characters Tommy and Rebecca. The stories went down hill if you ask me, with them leaving, Justin/Rebecca broken up, and everything with Kevin/Scotty, Saul, Holly… Robert dying was the final straw. Too bad.

21. Brock says:

Love them to properly wrap things up, esp giving Saul a happy ending and showing Scotty & Kevin’s family bonding and happy.

I won’t be pleased if things end this year, but a final send-off? I can deal with that!

22. MJ says:

They need to just end this show at this point. It’s been so uneven and all over the map the last few years. And they have handled the the changing and shifting of characters on and off the show very poorly. And I hated Nora with Brody ! They were a horrible couple – nothing in common what-so-ever.

23. jp says:

hope it come s back for one more season 2 tie things up,i love the show but it time to end it.2 many changes happened 2 quick this year so it felt like a different show (still liked this season) it was a fitting season final and i hope i see holly back next season if it comes back

24. Emelie says:

I love love love Brothers and Sisters. It is one of my favorite shows ever. I like Desperate Housewives too.