Exclusive

Exclusive: The Good Wife Goes Back to Wire Well Again, Casts Seth Gilliam in Finale

His name is Robert King. And he’s a Wire-aholic.

The co-creator of CBS’ The Good Wife — who recently confessed to The Hollywood Reporter that he’s “going to keep running down the line until everyone from The Wire is on the show” — has tapped Seth Gilliam (a.k.a. Sgt. Carver on the late HBO drama) to guest star in the show’s May 17 season finale as a man on trial for killing a judge.

For those keeping track at home, that brings to 12 the number of Wire grads who have appeared on Good Wife since the show’s inception two years ago.

As the insanely thorough folks over at NYMag.com pointed out last week, Wife had been in a dead heat with Law & Order: SVU for the title of TV series employing the most Wire grads; Gilliam’s casting now puts the CBS drama in first place.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Exclusive, News, Scoop, Spoilers

1. c s says:

Ah, The Wire alums. I thought it might have been in quality, acting or storylines

2. Lisa says:

The Wire was simply the best drama to ever be produced for US tv. I can see why so many of the talented cast is everywhere. I am currently watching the reruns on DTV’s 101 channel and am still blown away at how excellant it was.

3. RD says:

And not one Emmy.Boy,did they mess up-big time!

4. jazzyt2u says:

Who are the others I only remember the following?
    Gbenga Akinnagbe
    JD Williams
    Frankie Faison

5. SmileIvan says:

We have to wait two weeks for the finale? So mean. The show has been on such a roll.

6. lipsticksocialism says:

12 is impressive! Awesome awesome. I love when ppl in showbiz are loyal <3

7. Tego Livi says:

The 368 people who watched The Wire seem to think if they keep talking about it for several years, they can retroactively raise its ratings and grandfather in a few Emmys.

• ChristineOH says:

If you watched The Wire, you would know how affecting it was. It does not easily leave you, even years later. Seth Gilliam’s performance in the season 4 finale was unforgettable.

• Cate says:

You are so wrong my friend. The Wire was great and beloved by a loyal following. The writing was smart, the acting spot on and I highly recommend you watch it. Season 4 may be the best season of television to ever air.

While the Wire may not have an Emmy legacy, it does have a legacy of brilliant actors that go on to other shows we love – Michael B. Jordan, Lance Reddick, Gbenga Akinnagbe, Michael K. Williams, Adre Royo, and so many more. Their continuing work in quality television makes up for the lack of Emmy love.

8. Kelly Murphy says:

I live in Baltimore, MD where the wire was filmed and based. Loved the show and the actors. My hubby and I both enjoy seeing the actors again. The Good Wife is the best show on TV right now.

9. teresa says:

Awesome! another one! :))

10. bmospr04 says:

I agree, The Wire was the best show ever made on the US television. It’s a shame that no one nominated it for any awards. Shame on HBO. It is pretty cool to see Wire Guest stars on other shows. Someone should make a Bingo type game for it. SVU has gone to The Wire Acting pool many a time too. I want to who the 11 others are…

• bmospr04 says:

Dion Graham-Rubert Bond
      Peter Gerety –Judge Phelen
      Boris McGiver- Charles Marimow

And Seth Gilliam makes 12

*nerdalert

• jazzyt2u says:

Thank you…. A couple of them I wouldn’t have remembered them from the Wire… And for the life of me I don’t remember Sonja being on the show but I’m glad she is on Body of Proof….

• Adam Merkley says:

Method Man was in Good Wife S02E13. He played Cheese in The Wire, so I guess that means TGW has had 13 Wire alums!

11. bhm1304 says:

Ah “The Wire” has many great character actors in its cast but no show in television has cast a wide a net with its character actors than the tried and true “Oz”. Find a good drama without an “Oz” character actor ever having appeared on in the mix, its next to impossible. The other show that has an impressive resume of character actors is “Deadwood” and you’ll find many of its cast in your favorite dramas as well; the best of these being “Justified”, “Sons of Anarchy”, “Supernatural”, and if my eyes weren’t deceiving me this Friday’s finale of “Fringe” which is already home to 2 of Em-City’s more notable tenants.

12. Beth says:

Why do you say, “Shame on HBO”? They were the ones who brought The Wire to TV and gave it 5 great years, despite poor ratings. How does that bring shame on them? Thank you, HBO, for giving us this terrific show.