John Stamos: Playing SVU's Serial Babymaker 'Scared the Hell Out of Me'

Having played it safe with so many of his past career choices, John Stamos says he “jumped at the chance” to play a charming but totally twisted perp on this Wednesday’s Law & Order: SVU (NBC, 10/9c).

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on SVU‘s Season Finale and More

The set-up: An abandoned baby leads the SVU team to a wealthy venture capitalist (Stamos) who was bedding the tot’s nanny at the time the wee one went AWOL. Stamos’ character is “more than happy to help Benson and Stabler through the investigation,” series boss Neal Baer previews, but along the way he’s revealed to have a habit of not just sleeping with many, many women, but purposely impregnating them.

Playing a “reproductive abuser,” as such a criminal is called, “scared the hell out of me,” says Stamos, who is of course well known for playing more wholesome sorts, such as Full House‘s Uncle Jessie and Glee‘s toothy dentist. “He’s unlike any character I’ve seen.”

In fact, when first pitched the part, Stamos admits, “I said, ‘I can’t do this…. It makes no sense for someone like me.'”

But that is precisely why SVU conceived the role with Stamos specifically in mind. Says Baer, “We wanted to see him in a light that he maybe hasn’t been in with other shows,” while to go with an actor who more readily reads as nefarious “wouldn’t have worked.”

Law & Order: SVU Names New Boss

Fortunately, Stamos came around, realizing that this is the sort of chance he used to take after his Full House run. “You get so caught up in being a celebrity these days that you forget why you’re a celebrity — because you’re an actor. And roles like this that scare you is where I should be going with my career,” he says. “I really think it’s one of the best things I’ve ever done on television.”

Are you curious to see John Stamos change things up on SVU?

1. JRose48 says:

Because he was so wholesome in Fatal Vows…

2. HGFM says:

Except he doesn’t play a criminal. It is not against the law to get a woman pregnant even if you are putting holes in the condom to do it. Or by telling the guy that you are on the pill when you aren’t in order to get pregnant. The fact that women can also be reproductively coercive is missing from the episode.
    Stamos doesn’t do an outstanding job here. He isn’t charming enough to have us believe he could pull this off. And he doesn’t create a chill factor to scare you into believing his views are dangerous. But that is as much the fault of a badly written script as a bland performance.

• Kai says:

So let me get this straight.
      You haven’t seen the episode, yet you are judging a performance of a character you’ve never seen?
      You can’t go around judging something you know nothing about. He could turn around and have an amazing performance.

But then again you might not see it because you’ve blinded yourself with the fact that he’s already going to be horrid, and that’s all you will see.

Stop being so arrogant and just wait for the show to air before posting your one-sided view of the episode.

• bob says:

Law & Order SVU airs in Canada on a Tuesday, so HGFM’s probably seen the episode already.

• Allison says:

Totally agree. How can you say that it might suck when you haven’t even seen the episode yet. Most of the episodes have been really good.

• HGFM says:

I did see the episode Tuesday night so I do get to comment on it. My comments were based on what I saw and not the article. And I stand by what I said. This was another badly written episode without any good acting performances.

3. Dirk says:

“But that is precisely why SVU conceived the role with Stamos specifically in mind.”

I see what you did there!

4. SingDanceLaugh says:

As said above SVU airs on Tuesdays in Canada, so I have seen it already! John Stamos is fantasticly creepy in this episode. A long cry from the Uncle Jesse I grew up with.

5. STARK says:

Now, just convince him of taking the role of Charlie Harper in 2 1/2 men.

not as a new character, as Charlie himself