Glee Goes 3-D for Summer Concert Movie

Glee fans are going to be summer lovin’ this news: An August 12 release date has been set for Glee Live! 3D!, a concert film based on the cast’s upcoming tour.

Glee creator Ryan Murphy will produce the pic, which will be in theaters for two weeks only, while Kevin Tancharoen (Fame) will direct.

Explaining the film’s genesis, Murphy says, “We knew that not every fan who wanted to attend a concert would get that opportunity. Now… we’ll be able to bring the concert experience to movie theaters across the country in full three-dimensional glory. We promise every passionate ‘Gleek’ a cinematic experience that will have them singing and dancing in the aisles.”

Seriously, it’ll be as if Mark Salling‘s fauxhawk is brushing up against your Sno-Caps.

The Glee Live! In Concert! series kicks off May 21, featuring Lea Michele (Rachel), Cory Monteith (Finn), Amber Riley (Mercedes), Chris Colfer (Kurt), Kevin McHale (Artie), Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina), Salling (Puck), Dianna Agron (Quinn), Naya Rivera (Santana), Heather Morris (Brittany), Harry Shum, Jr. (Mike), Chord Overstreet (Sam), Darren Criss (Blaine), Ashley Fink (Lauren) and members of “The Warblers.”

1. Sarah says:

Overkill

• el says:

No way. Whenever I see someone singing I think, “This and Avatar really require a 3D experience to enjoy.”

2. Sarah says:

Complete and total overkill. STOP.

3. nichole says:

I agree with the Sarah’s.

4. Stehpo says:

Again i feel so much hate for Glee.

5. John Ruggeri says:

Why?

6. babi says:

hope this will be shown in brazil and not only on the states and europe!!!!

• ruba says:

hope it will be shown only in Brazil and away from me. I don’t understand the appeal it’s like those freaky li’ll bratz that caught on years ago

7. Mark says:

Well since I definitely won’t be able to persuade my friends to attend the concert with me, maybe they’ll go see the movie instead!

• Jim says:

Seriously, at over $100 a seat for the back far left corner of the Chicago venue (*before* Ticketmaster’s ridiculous fees), I was gonna skip this. But a 3D movie at (likely) $20 or less? Count me in!

8. Deandra says:

Ok, I enjoy Glee but we seriously don’t this for so many reasons.

9. Bojangles says:

Yeah imam see this instead of paying $120 for tix to the concert. Thank you fox!!!

10. RIck says:

Here’s a suggestion: If you think the movie is overkill, and you hate the idea, then…..wait for it…..its so obvious you guys are gonna kick yourselves…..don’t go fugging see it. Wow, really amazing concept, I know. You would think how some people react to Glee News that people are being forced to watch it. As for myself, I will happily go see this movie, and enjoy the experience :)

11. NickC says:

I think every person who goes to this should have their name recorded…then late one night we can round them up and put them all on an island.GLEE Island…..i bet you could use this movie to torture a terrorist.

12. Lyss says:

So happy! I don’t get to see it on tour so I get to see it now (: I love Glee and this is so not overkill. Rent did it with their final show and I finally got to see it (of course that december it went on tour and then I saw it then)… this will be much better than catching clips on youtube

13. SusieQ says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo…..no more 3-D anything…yuck!

14. Cory Myers says:

I love Glee…. I really really really really love Glee… BUT IT DOES NOT BELONG IN 3D … NO CONCERT TYPE FILM BELONGS IN 3D IT IS A WASTE OF MONEY! RELEASE IT IN 2D BUT NOT 3D!!!!

Justin Bieber, The Jonas Brothers, Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus, and GLEE… NONE BELONG IN 3D…

it’s as people said above… OVERKILL!!!!

15. kristine says:

they’re going 3D now?

I don’t like Glee anyway, but this show is going to burn out SO fast. how many more stunts can they pull?

16. da says:

Goodness, sure wish the haters would take a hike and let the fans who are excited about this come here to post. I was so bitter when I found out the “national tour” would only be coming to a few states. Now fans from across the country will be able to see and enjoy the show. No, it won’t be the same as the live show, but its better than not getting to see it at all…and it’ll be a lot cheaper. Not sure how I feel about the 3-D aspect, but I’m still super excited! Thank you Glee!

17. Cosmab says:

I think it’s called Let’s make as much $$$ as we can B4 the fans get bored with us. Fair deal. Hey I went to see the Monkees movie so fair is fair. Don’t watch it, won’t go but 3D? Sucks.

18. Jake says:

Wow you people are hilarious! u waste your time to post a comment on something u either hate or dont care bout just out of spite! nice.
    well anyways ill probably see the film since i wont be able to go to the concert.

19. AlistairCrane says:

I don’t understand the gripes. If this is a movie you have no interest in seeing, or if you don’t even like Glee in the first place, there is no need to come in and bash the film, the show, or anyone who wants to see it.

Just today I was thinking there should be “Glee: The Movie”. Not a concert film but a big screen movie featuring the TV series cast.

• Marvin says:

Forget about the haters. They’re just a bunch of overgrown baby trolls in dire need of life or something to do.

Just watch it if you want. I’m sure I won’t but that’s just it :)

20. Nat says:

While I do question the motive that they’re doing this “for the fans” as opposed to the money it’s going to generate, I’m sure millions of Glee fans who don’t live near a concert or can’t afford it are going to love this news, and I’m happy for them.
    Honestly, bitter people on this board going into aggressive hyperbole…relax and enjoy life with something you love!

21. Larry says:

So tired of all the Glee hate. This movie is only for the people who couldn’t get to the concerts because of the limited venues. If you didn’t plan on seeing the concert -then this article is not for you. So please don’t comment -your hatred isn’t necessary. Glee is supposed to inspire people but all I see are close-minded people with nothing to do but complain on something they never intended to see in the first place. There are all sorts of fans -some like Dancing with the Stars -some like Fringe -and there are those who like Glee. If you are not a fan -or never saw the show -then you have no right commenting on it. Allow those fans to enjoy the show they love -and stop hating.

• harmograz says:

Thank you! You are absolutely right…It’s a great idea for the people who can’t see the concerts since there are so few. I love all types of shows, but never say hateful stuff about the shows I don’t like…

22. Aurore says:

I think they might have a bad case of delusions of grandeur.
    I mean the show is fun to watch once in a while. But actually pay to see it, I don’t think so.

• Lindsey says:

I agree with most of the posts here, but I think this one says it best. Glee is no longer a TV show. It’s a product, nothing more or less. It’s commercialism at its finest, and all it does is make Ryan Murphy’s head even larger (if that’s possible) when people buy tickets to stuff like this or get the songs. Personally, I think 3D movies or big screen movies based on celebrities are ridiculous anyway. The fact that they’re making it 3D just shows that the audience is the same people who would actually pay for a 3D Justin Bieber movie – kids. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but it’s ridiculous and the definition of “overkill.”

23. harmograz says:

soo stoked! it’s good for all the people who can’t actual see the real concert. I live in Hawaii and I’m super glad that they’re gonna make a movie out of it – I wish I could see the real concert!
    And PS, if you hate Glee so much, don’t bother commenting on all its posts.

• Forshizzle says:

Yes! Living in Hawaii you’re really left out on a lot of stuff I’m glad that they’re doing a movie for everyone else, I hope it’ll show in non 3-D though I really don’t care for wearing those glasses in a movie…

24. econruth says:

Whaaaaaaat? No Matthew Morrison?? So disappointed!

25. Makalyn says:

Okay, so is this movie coming to Bozeman, MT or Idaho Falls??? i need to know!

26. Great post that share me the best info, i really love this article to much. Thanks for this post and i hope see your post soon!