Ratings: House and Five-0 Hit Lows, LOLA Grows Again, Game Of Thrones Hits High

House is ailing a bit.

The yet-to-be-renewed Fox medical drama this Monday drew 8.5 million total viewers — on par with its last outing — but dropped 9 percent in the demos to a new season-low rating of 2.9, TVByTheNumbers confirms. Physician, heal thy Nielsens?

While much Monday fare experienced similar slips, a few shows chalked up Ws. Bubble boy Chuck, for example, gained 8 percent in the demo (1.4) while drawing 4.1 million viewers. Both of CBS’ 8 o’clock hour comedies, How I Met Your Mother (6.7 mil/2.7) and Mad Love (5.8 mil/2.2), were up (8 and 10 percent, respectively). And NBC’s Law & Order: LA (4.8 mil/1.4) enjoyed a second straight week of growth in the demos.

More ratings nuggets:

* Dancing With the Stars this Monday drew 20.9 million viewers and a 4.4 rating, down a few points week-to-week.

* Both The CW’s 90210 (1.5 mil/0.7) and Gossip Girl (1.28 mil/0.7) were down double digits.

* Of the 9 pm bubble shows, NBC’s The Event (4 mil/1.3) held steady while Fox’s The Chicago Code (5.54 mil/1.6) dipped 10 percent. Tragic.

* Mike & Molly shed 12 percent in the demos to hit a series low 2.3. This is where that Two and a Half Men repeat lead-in really starts to sting.

* Castle dominated Monday’s 10 o’clock hour with 12.2 million viewers and a 2.9 rating, while Hawaii Five-0 (9.4 mil/2.4) dropped to a series-low demo rating.

* Episode 3 of HBO’s Game of Thrones on Sunday night drew a series-high 2.4 million viewers with its first airing, and a total of 3.1 mil for the night.

1. Lizzie says:

Well, I’m not surprised, too much Cuddy and Cuddy mama drama in this episode imho. I’d get rid of her, to be honest. I’m sick of this whole (post-)Huddy stuff.

2. Alicia says:

Why oh why is House ailing?? With such stellar, nuanced writing, it’s a mystery indeed…
    And is it just me, or was “Changes” somehow suggesting House and 13 are, I don’t know, alike? Must just be me. It was subtle, I think.

• Jimmy says:

The writing on House is far from nuanced and stellar. House hasn’t been a fun show to watch since the team was broken apart. There was a brief bit of joy when Amber Tamblyn was brought on but that didn’t last long. It probably wouldn’t be a terrible thing is House went away. Why linger along on life support?

• Waylon says:

Agreed. House has evolved into a show I don’t care about anymore.

• Martin says:

Totally Agree. Sick and tired of the addict side of House. Aren’t characters suppose to grow? You watch other shows and the characters grow much like real people. House just stays the same. Huddy was a great thing for the show… pushing House back over the edge like this is done and just retread.

• Maggie says:

I completely agree with you about characters needing to grow. I wanted to slap somebody after I saw an interview with the writers of ‘Bombshells’ saying that House can never really grow as a character. They had something going for the character this season, but they never looked past the huddy relationship. I thought that huddy could have been explored in a more subtle way that wouldn’t have upset a large part of the show’s fanbase. Had there been actual character development of House and Cuddy individually while exploring their new status as a couple, I think this season would have been way more successful. It is possible to see growth and development in a character while still maintaining his or her core personality traits. The writers totally missed the mark this season by only looking at the surface of the plot lines and story arcs and not going deeper and looking at every possible outcome and how everything can and will affect the characters. There are so many possibilities but only very few are actually being explored and that is killing the show. House used to be one of FOX’s headliner shows and now the writers have boxed the show in with so much superficial BS that it is still up in the air over renewal.

• Alicia says:

Yeah, that was sarcasm.

3. Kim R says:

In my opinion, I think we House fans are bored now with the addict side of House. We already went through all of this. Maybe he should have an affair with 13! That would be different. :)

• erika says:

I like that idea! Something new and exciting.

• J. Norman says:

I think I speak for a large percentage of fans when I say that I am SICK AND TIRED. . .ONE MORE TIME. . .THAT’S SICK AND TIRED of the “wounded House” episodes and recent seasons.
      We want to see House be brilliant and come out on top. Not wounded and popping more vicodan. They need to get back to the basic premises of solving cases.
      The Huddy set up wasn’t the problem. The problem was the over emphasis on it and then her reasons for the break up.
      The show should have kept the Cut Throat Bitch.

• KevyB says:

The worst part of every episode now is anything involving House. The way he treated Cuddy when they were together just makes his outrageousness no longer funny. The only relationships involving House that were entertaining were his with Masters, who’s now gone, and Wilson, who soon will be. The show is only watchable because his team has better chemistry than it ever has. This whole Thirteen and House are the same storyline is only underlining the fact that House is no longer necessary in his own show.

4. Leigh says:

Yeah Castle! It was a great episode. Can’t wait for next week.

5. Gavin says:

Hawaii Five-0 is totally lame, terrible acting. Seems someone at CBS really loves this show because they keep calling it a hit when it is not.
    Next year it will keep dropping. It is clear viewers are not interested in the story or the characters. A 2.4??. Next year, 2.2.
    Games of Thrones is awesome. Great story, excellent actors. Congratulations to HBO for making great television. CBS should learn from them.

• desi says:

awww.. I guess I am the only one who loves H50, but I can understand the criticism. I think they should have revealed more about Steve’s life before he left for the Navy and what his father actually knew.

As for House, he did tell 13 that he would “help” her when the time comes, that would make for an intense episode.

6. Alex says:

House has just gone downhill, and i say this not as a house basher but as someone who’s watched house since the beginning. I’m also very sick of Cuddy and the House\Cuddy thing, and have this feeling theyre going to try to push them back together again, which would be disappointing.

7. NickC says:

I thought the Chicago Code was coming back next season?(you called it a Bubble show)….does anyone know the if it is?

8. W0NK042 says:

“Physician, heal thy Nielsens?”

How about: Create a system (that is long over due) to take in actual (& web viewed) viewing figures.

• Cinder says:

Yes!. I completely agree with you. The Nielsen family scoring is a dinosaur. In this digital age, they should be able to come up with a better and more accurate system.

• Deb says:

I agree! If you don’t fit into their holier than thou age group, your viewing doesn’t count. Ratings shouldn’t be considered just in a certain age group and only by those who Nielsen give their little viewing boxes to. Everyone who watches a show should be counted. There has to be a way to monitor viewing habits of all the viewers, both actual & on the web, than what they do now.

• danielcw says:

Nielson numbers are the only numbers that count (as of now), because the only viewers that are important are those watching the commercials.
      The other numbers are only good as fan-discussion-fodder.

• maggie says:

Nielsen only monitors about 25,000 homes. To use that small a sample to determine what over 300 million people watch is ridiculous. With all of the technology we have now, they should be able to come up with a better system.

9. John says:

Chicago Code continues to be excellent, whilst House leans on previous glories.

Note Well Fox!

10. Cindy says:

Hawaii Five-O needs better writing – plots, character development, continuity. Give the actors something to work with.

• Pete says:

Hawaii would need a miracle to improve. It’s too late for that. And a better McGarrett. But I guess too late for that too. :)

11. Kayla says:

yay Chuck!! I hope the ratings keep getting better, awesome episode, can’t wait 4 nxt week’s season finale!!

12. DL says:

So happy to hear about Game of Thrones. HBO was confident its audience would grow a la True Blood, and it looks like they were right! The show is getting better and better each week, and I’m excited to see what the next episode brings.

13. zara says:

I hope someday, the writers will realize that Huddy is a big mistake. I`m so sick and bored with huddy and cuddys family. How often do we have to watch that house is so super in love with cuddy and that it is the reason he is miserable. They recycle this plot over and over again. When i remember right then it is the third season final in a row where we learn house loves cuddy too much. I got it, writers, let House move on please!!!

• a smal microbe says:

well, i agree. if they were going to do a huddy arc, they should have done it well, but this is not the case. for some characters that do not change, they were not the same: the joy in the banter was gone and all that was left was the meaningless bickering. you cannot do things halfway and expect to please everybody. you either jump into the water with gusto and dam the torpedoes or you go to shore and dry yourself up. you cannot be a little bit wet and hope to please. all that was achieved with this arc is to alienate both the huddys and the non-huddys. well done!! the nail in the coffin of house.

14. solo1861 says:

It’s not really surprising House ratings are low. This season isn’t has good has previous ones.
    Patients are uninteresting, characters are either a bit boring or annoying, too many comic scenes wich are only funny if you’r under 13 years old and huddy kinda torn fans apart. Between those mad they aren’t together anymore, those mad the relationship was poorly handed and those mad they were a couple to begin with, it’s hard to find anyone statified.
    If they wnat ratings to go up again may be they should start writing interesting, well design, witty, funny… storylines again.

• Tia says:

Solo1861, Great post. I couldn’t have said it better myself.

• Alex says:

Completely agree solo1861. The show really has run out of ideas, and there’s nothing new with the show. About time for it to end.

• maggie says:

I was hoping that they would show House with clinic patients last night. That was always a highlight of the show, but hasn’t been used much in quite a long time.

15. Ashley says:

“Hawaii Five-0” is like cotton candy: fun and bright, but lacking in substance and weight. They have four great leads who can handle emotional storylines and have wonderful chemistry, but they choose to focus on the flashy (Guest stars! Gorgeous locations! High tech equipment!) rather than take advantage of this resource and truly develop McGarrett, Danno, Chin, and Kono. The obvious product placement/borderline commercials within the program are also distracting and not condusive to allowing viewers to get lost in the stories. The only reason why I watch it live and DVR “Castle” is because I’d forget to watch it if it were the other way around; if things continue they way they are, it definitely won’t be able to hold my attention over the summer hiatus.

16. bhm1304 says:

“Hawaii 5-0” has shown how bad a show it is over the course of the season. The writing is just abysmal and Alex O’Loughlin is just a pretty face that cannot act to save his life. Good acting can save some bad writing but O’Loughlin is just reading the bad pages. They had Serinda Swann, who’s a better actor than O’Loughlin, in the episode last night and gave her NOTHING to work with at all. Grace Park is just wasted in a one note role, she had much better material on “The Cleaner”, and a little bit of Scott Caan goes a long way because he is the most one note actor in television. It looks like Daniel Dae Kim’s character is being set up to be the corpse and he plays an interesting character. If they killed off O’Loughlin, then this show might be interesting.

• canthardlyreadit says:

McGarrett is supposed to be stoic and reserved as the straight man to Danny’s tirades. I think he’s played perfectly though I have noticed they have allowed him to be a little looser lately. It’s more sly than Danno’s. If you have already made up your mind you will never see the subtleties. I see them but apparently fee people are catching onto it. Maybe its too little too late. I’ve never seen Moonlight buying saw Alex o’loughlin in movies & criminal minds. Before I even knew it was him I remember his CM episode as one of their best ever.

17. Karen says:

House is ailing a bit? Jeez that’s putting it nicely.

Its gone downhill since they broke Huddy up .Numbers don’t lie
    The percentage of a percentage is getting bigger each episode

• Alex says:

Its been going downhill before then. The whole Huddy thing was a disaster and never shouldve happened. Id be just fine with Cuddy being written out of the show altogether.

18. David says:

Are people honestly surprised House’s ratings are down? They have been declining ever since House and Cuddy broke up, which you think would be a relief, but both characters were assassinated instead. House slept with all the hookers in New Jersey, jumped off a balcony into a pool and married ACTUALLY MARRIED a hooker to hurt Cuddy. Honestly, I don’t see why anyone would want to tune in for that. The only thing worse than House and Cuddy’s relationship has been the post break up.

I wish they’d cancel the show.

19. Lisa says:

That’s what David Shore gets for alienating his audience.

• a small microbe says:

what audience? he writes for himself and does not care about the audience. at least that is what i have gotten out of his last interviews. it is sad when a show creator and its writers have to come out and explain what they are doing. the viewers is not stupid, and need not be told what is going on. that was part of the joy of house: to discover the road less traveled.
      now all we have left are the silly explanations and justifications that we don’t care for. give us good writing and less interviews, not intelligence in the writing and less spoonfuls of justifications of why you are doing what you are doing. it is not working!!

20. Elsiem says:

I’m so in love with The Event. Zeljko Ivanek as Blake Sterling could carry this show by himself. He is that awesome. Too bad more people aren’t watching. It’s pretty dang fantastic.

• Linderella49 says:

I love it too! It got off to a slow and confusing start but after the hiatus it came back strong! They show the characters beyond one dimension and that really helps the story telling. Zeljiko Ivanek is always awesome and he makes the whole crazy story seem possible!

21. jen says:

I still think House is a good show, and I’m not a shipper, but it is weird how Huddy started out so great in the beginning of the season and then just broke up. I thought it was handled pretty lamely. And, I agree with someone earlier who is also tired of the drug addicted House. At this rate the only thing that would make sense at the end of the show’s run is for House to die; I’m not seeing any growth in his character at all in 7(?) years, only regression. I do like Thirteen’s scenes with House; they have an interesting relationship (not romantic!).
    H5O is awful. I tried watching but it’s just a generic CBS drama; even the characters can’t salvage it for me.
    I did enjoy Castle last night!

22. Kat says:

Chicago Code HAS to be renewed. Its excellent writing and cast make it more than worthy to be given a second season!

23. fernando says:

Okay snice Gossip Girl and 90210 drop to 1.5 million and 1.28 million, One Tree Hill and Hellcats must be renew now lol.

24. Cosmab says:

Writing on h50 is pretty bad but I luv the cast! Show might not be flying w action dudes but has a HUGE and growing fangirl base for Steve and Danno’s sniping and bromance. Fast fwdd thru Diddy but usually scenery is good. Don’t think they meant it 2 B more than eye candy fun. Did they? Lol If so, they need better writers.

25. M says:

Actually,the huge drop in House ratings(18-48 demo) started with 13’s Comeback episode(epi.18). A lot of people dislike the character so much & many have issues with OW after her past comments about health insurance & said in forums that they will stop watching if she comes back. And finding out that NBC is willing to expand options of contracts of only HL & OW is laughable.
    From what I hear they are pushing toward House/13 relationship in the last few episodes? Maybe because they thought 13 is now so popular & will bring more audience to the show .What a joke .
    This show has become a bad soap opera with boring stories & boring characters being shoved front & center over & over(the cuddys,Taub, MM & now the super boring queen of tragedy 13)
    If David shore doesn’t care what bothers the audience , then he deserves what he’s getting.
    People can not be forced to watch what they don’t like .

• maggie says:

I hadn’t thought of it, but you’re right; the ratings did go down when 13 came back.

They probably thought Olivia Wilde’s “movie stardom” would bring viewers to the show. But 13 isn’t a popular character. Sure Wilde gets tons of publicity, but that doesn’t translate to viewers.

• Cindy says:

Where did you hear that NBC only wants to renew contracts with HL and OW please? HL already has a season 8 contract. But this is very interesting news if true. THANKS!

26. Glenn says:

Trolololol to the House writers. They thought that breaking House and Cuddy would bring non shippers back. This is what you get. Ratings are getting lower and lower after the break up. No one wants to see House miserable again. Bring Huddy back and write in it in a proper way

27. Linderella49 says:

I gave up on 5-0 when L&O LA came back on Monday nights. My first choice series is Castle, but L&O is now DVR’d instead of 5-0. I disagree with the poster who said Scott Caan is a one-note actor; I love him on 5-0. Alex O’laughlin is apparently channeling Jack Lord who played the original very stiff McGarratt, but that kind of personna doesn’t come across in 2011 like it did in 1968. Since I liked the changes they made in L&O, 5-0 went to the back of the line. The new L&O LA is much improved from the original LA concept. Now if they would just transfer a few more original L&O characters to LA that would be great!

• J Ann says:

I agree about the new changes to L&O LA. I like Alfred Molina and Corey Stoll together. The show seems to be getting back to the basic style of the series.

28. Lily says:

They should renew mad love

• Lisa says:

I agree. The show started out slowly, but has picked up nicely and I’ve really started to love the chemistry between the four main actors.

29. Lisa says:

House peaked during the rehab awesome movie-like 2-hour season opener and continued to have a decent run in the episodes that followed. However, since that time, the show has slowly sunk into oblivion, showing us over and over and over again the same dialog between the same characters in the same hospital with the same patients. It’s not just that House doesn’t grow or change — NOBODY DOES! Wilson’s still single. Cuddy’s still single (but with a kid, okay). Foreman’s still single. Chase is back to being a player. Oh, Taub’s divorced now. Wow. Thanks for that. 13’s still sexy and broody (and single) and nothing ever evolves. Killing off Kutner sucked, btw. He was funny as hell and I would have found a way to keep Masters.

30. Samantha says:

GO CHUCK! :D I super pumped they had a fairly solid demo this week (for Chuck’s standards) and hope that NBC can look past the reported numbers in their decision of renewal. If they would browse the internet for 15 minutes they would see that Chuck is being watched loyally by people who don’t have dumb Neilsen boxes.

31. Liz says:

Yay for Castle, sad for H-50 but guttered for The Chicago Code which I am loving. It’s darker and grittier than other cop shows and I think it has a lot to offer. I hope more people tune in and give it a go over these last few episodes.

32. Kat says:

Matt, Physician heal thy Nielsens is totally unfair to say.
    HUGH LAURIE is AMAZING in HOUSE. It is the WRITER’s who need to
    heal the show!

33. Jack R says:

It seems like the CBS is bound and determined to water down Five-0. Not unlike Human Target at FOX, which at first played like a high octane, ‘Bourne-esque’ action movie in it’s first season, Five-O seems to have undergone a shift in both budget and scripting since the holiday break. May 2nd episode was a total tread water affair with the big climax being nothing more than the young, unarmed, female suspect needlessly running away from McGarett toward… the surf where she had no where to go. And they don’t know what to do with Grace Park. I’ve seen her on BSG, she’s a great actress, but the sub plots and dialogue they give her on this show are downright painful.. It’s a little too early in its run for this show to run out of steam. And populating it with gratuitous guest cameos and whacky recurring characters is flirting dangerously close to dumbing this down to Murder She Wrote: Hawaii.