Glee Recap: Return of the Mac

As an unabashed fan of Fleetwood Mac who can still remember childhood afternoons spinning my brother’s vinyl copy of Rumours on the record player, I was pretty much pre-programmed to love Tuesday night’s episode of Glee, which was built loosely around the band and their iconic 1977 album. Okay, sure, I waited in vain over the course of the telecast for my favorite two cuts off the record — “Gold Dust Woman” and “The Chain”* — to get the New Directions treatment, but even with those mini disappointments in the mix, I can’t kvetch about an episode that packed six individual Fleetwood Mac numbers into a single hour. (*At least the original rendition got played during the stakeout scene.)

Anyhow, on the off chance that you went and broke the chain of Glee loyalty and missed the episode, allow me to give you a rapid-fire account of the major points — in the classic “here’s what you missed on Glee” format: Determined to destroy Will and New Directions, Sue decided to bring back McKinley’s school paper, The Muckraker, with a motto of “If we heard it, it’s probably true, or something.” The paper’s “blind items” section hinted at (among other things) a hotel affair between Quinn and Sam, but Rachel and Finn’s stakeout caught the trouty-mouthed footballer in suspicious moments with both Finn’s girlfriend (Quinn) and stepbrother (Kurt). Meanwhile, Brittany revealed Santana “plays for the other team” (she was referring to Cheerios and New Directions, naturally) on her Internet talk show Fondue for Two. In the ensuing turmoil, Mr. Schue got some help from former flame and returning Broadway baby April Rhodes and decided to have the kids tackle tracks from the Rumours album as a way to channel all the internal rifts into their art. Artie broke up with Brittany over her dalliances with Santana, but Santana got cold feet about publicly expressing her feelings for her BFF. Rachel and Quinn got competitive over Kurt Finn. And everyone discovered Sam’s family had moved into a shabby hotel room after losing their house to foreclosure. Oh, and Sue let it slip that Will desperately wanted to make his way to Broadway to try to help April mount a production of her autobiographical musical, but even though Emma encouraged him to follow his dreams, Mr. Schue decided he had to focus on taking the kids all the way to Nationals. And that’s what you missed on Glee.

Now, before we get on to letter grades for the week’s musical numbers, I’ve got to dish the three best and three worst non-musical moments from “Rumours” (the episode, not the album).

1) Brittany’s interactions with her cat, Lord Tubbington, who was allowed to eat from the same fondue pot as Tina and Mercedes (he’s on Atkins, after all!) but who incurred his master’s wrath when she began to suspect he was still smoking. (Bonus points to this Fondue for Two soundoff: “Tune in next week to Fondue for Two where we will be dipping raw meat into boiling chocolate.”)

2) This zinger from April: “You know what I call an afternoon where I’m gettin’ drunk? An afternoon!”

3) Sam’s tears during his “confession” to Finn and Rachel. Okay, the whole story arc played a little hokey — and who knows? the writers could be treating it as a forgotten footnote in a few weeks’ time — but I’d be lying if I said I couldn’t feel myself getting a little misty when the kid revealed his predicament. Well-played, Chord Overstreet!

1) Sue’s incognito/rapid costume changes at the coffee shop. Look, I’ve learned to accept Glee‘s totally absurd plot developments and rapidly shifting character agendas — but not if there’s zero comedic payoff. Beyond the shock value of seeing Sue in drag as David Bowie and Ann Coulter, was there a single amusing moment to the scene? (Don’t tell anyone I said this, but maybe it’s time to free Jane Lynch from a character who’s been written into a corner.)

2) Artie’s “God, Brittany, why are you so stupid?” Sorry, I’m just not buying the sweetest guy on the show would be so careless with his word choice. If the writers had wanted Brittany to choose Santana over Artie, they should’ve worked harder (and smarter) on a solution.

3) Mr. Schue’s tears in the auditorium. Granted, not as egregious as the “stops car and weeps” shot from Season 1, but the next time Will’s in pain, here’s hoping he expresses himself with song instead. Tell me I’m not alone!

And now, onto this week’s musical performances…

“Dreams,” April Rhodes (with backing support from Will) | There really wasn’t any legitimate reason for Will to bring hard-drinking April to glee-club rehearsals to introduce the idea of a Fleetwood Mac/Rumours theme week, but then again, am I really going to go all Sue Sylvester about a guest vocal from Kristin Chenoweth? The sleeveless, white pinstripe pantsuit with wide-lapelled vest top was a particularly jaunty look, although if I have any complaint, I’d say Chenoweth’s vocals (or perhaps the Glee sound mix?) was just a little too smooth for my taste. (Okay, okay…end of nitpick.) Musical grade: B+ Relevance to the plot: B-

“Never Going Back Again,” Artie | Blasphemy alert: I’m not usually the biggest fan of Kevin McHale’s vocals, but the setup here was pretty terrific. It started with a heartbroken Artie leading the guitar-playing trio of Puck, Sam, and Finn through the halls, past the cafeteria, and into the auditorium, where (by my count) an additional six strummers joined in for a wall of acoustic delight. Musical grade: A- Relevance to the plot: B

“Songbird,” Santana | Naya Rivera has been killing it comedically for the last four or five episodes, but this week she showed she can carry an intense, dramatic scene as well. The night’s most simple number featured Santana singing directly to Brittany in the empty rehearsal room. (Well, except for that dude fading into the piano bench.) In a lesser actress’s hands, Santana’s “tough girls need love, too”/”former-cheerleader lesbian-infatuation junkie” story arc might seem contrived, or even exploitative, but Rivera brought a truth to her character’s internal struggle that elevated the material. “Songbird” stands as proof that sometimes, simple eye contact and emotional intimacy trumps a big production number. Musical grade: A Relevance to the plot: A

“I Don’t Want to Know,” Quinn and Finn | Yeah, I know, we’re in the middle of a great big Glee love triangle, but I found my attention drifting as the camera cut between our troika of teen lovers: Quinn with her shark-eye flirtations; Finn with his “torn between two lovers” puppydog-isms; Rachel with her petulant huffing. Not terrible by any means, but definitely my least favorite New Directions vocal of the night. And come to think of it, my least favorite Fleetwood Mac track to appear on the episode. Musical grade: B- Relevance to the plot: B-

Number from April’s musical, by April and Will | Oh, Will,don’t quit your day job for this mess! Musical grade: D Relevance to the plot: C+

“Go Your Own Way,” Rachel | Oh how I wish the post-performance dialogue had Rachel telling Quinn she could keep Finn, that she was pulling the Full Beyoncé and going all “Independent Women” for the rest of the school year. But even so, Rachel’s defiant vocal — combined with indignant/come-hither side-eye — tore the roof right off the rehearsal space. Musical grade: A- Relevance to the plot: B+

“Don’t Stop,” Sam and New Directions | Look, I love kids — and I don’t have any issues with wee characters popping up in my favorite shows. But having Sam bring his adorable-moppet siblings to New Directions’ rehearsal so that everyone could join together in a hopeful ballad for the future while whirling said moppets around and performing awful choreography? To quote Mercedes Jones: “Hell to the No!” Musical grade: C- Relevance to the plot: C+

What did you think of this week’s Glee? Which story arcs were you loving? Which ones did you have problems with? Sound off in the comments, and for all my TV recaps (including one coming Wednesday morning on episode 2 of The Voice), follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Sis says:

” Rachel and Quinn got competitive over Kurt”
    Lol total gay Freudian slip Slezak!! ;)
    Im pretty sure they are fighting over Finn!!!

2. ssquared says:

“Night of Neglect” and “Rumors” – two of the worst in the Glee arsenal

• Paul says:

I wouldn’t put the mess of A Night Of Neglect with this episode. At least this episode had some coherent storyline with music that actually made sense and wasn’t riding on the guest star for a plot. Though it did seem a little rushed.

• Carolyn says:

Agree it wasn’t a great episode. Glee tends to go up and down. But This was way better than “Night of Neglect”. Of course that’s not saying much. There was some amazing musical moments. Santana’s “Songbird” and Rachel’s killer “Go Your Own Way” made the episode worth it. Had to pause my DVR to download it and i’ve never done that before.

• lauren says:

Agreed. My roommate and I are usually total Gleeks, but the past two weeks have been giant disappointments, especially after coming back from the hiatus that felt like forever. I expected more.

3. Lee says:

One of your three favorite moments WASN’T when the gang offered a total nod to the audience with a round the table discussion of the pairings: Finnchel…Puckleberry…Klaine…and my new fave, Pises? It was a golden Glee moment.

• Shannon says:

Hehe, yeah. I love astrological humor. Thanks for transcribing that as some of it whizzed passed my brain.

• KittyForemanKnowsBest says:

I am really not a fan of couple names, but that was a funny scene.

And I think Kitty Foreman said it best. Those kids ‘switch partners more than square dancers.’

4. mikey says:

This show is riding its own ego right off the rails. I soooo want to keep liking it but my goodness what are they doing? This is not even close to the show I originally coudn’t miss. Now, I just feel like… I don’t even know.
    Is it the constant trapsing(sp?) through of guest stars with no real purpose?
    Is it the fact that the writing staff refuses to make Sue three dimensional, effectively hamstringing one of the most talented comedic actresses on television.
    Is is how stupid they are making all of there characters? Does Finn have to have something like kharma explained to him really?
    Is it that no character really seems like they care about anything more important than prom or who is with who?
    Is it that they rush through plot in order to get to the music or that every fifth episode is the only time we seem to get something worth caring about as an audience?
    I don’t know how long I can keep caring about the story I already want to flip to something else and just catch the musical numbers on the computer later.
    I’m just so frustrated and dissappointed.

• Jon says:

This show is exactly like the pilot and it is still hilarious

• Mo says:

I agree with some of this assessment – the parade of guest stars, Sue Sylvester’s character, rushing through the plot to get to the music. But I will assume you haven’t been around any actual high school kids lately, or you would know that from about mid-late February until prom night the whole “who’s going with who” drama takes center stage with a liberal helping of “omg which dress should I get” as a warm-up act. And followed shortly thereafter by the “random prom night afterparty hookup” drama. LOL

• mikey says:

Actually Mo, I am a high school teacher and deal with these things all of the time. The Glee treatment of these issues is, at times, hyperbolic and at times crosses a line into cartoonish. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn’t. I, personally don’t think the writers give teenagers enough credit for their ability to multitask and concentrate on other things. I just want a little more focus on everyday life without going over the top too much.

• Dave says:

Why would a high school boy from a small town know what Karama is? Unless he was Hindu

• high school teacher says:

Yep, Dave. High school boys know what karma is. They watch television.

• McFudge says:

And they go to skool so they kin git thar book-larnin. N sumtimes evin read the books, n larn how to cipher, too! And then thars that newfangled puter thingy. Shoot fire – don’t these young’uns today jist beat all?

Put your stereotypes back in your pocket, Dave.

• dizzyd65 says:

Agreed mikey. This isn’t the show I fell in love with. I’m bored with all the romantic triangles, and stupidity of the characters. After tonight’s episode, I officially hate Artie- what a tool. I’ve seen the mess this show has turned into coming for a while. You need to look no further than “Nip/Tuck,” which also became a mess as each of it’s seasons dragged on.

I’ll finish this season out, but will definitely have to think about continuing to watch when season 3 begins in the fall.

• JD says:

i agree with most of this. i’m giving it until the end of the season to see if it can redeem itself and keep a spot on my DVR. i think the problems started this year because instead of writing a story and then selecting relevant songs to use to tell the story, they have selected songs and then written a story around the music. that’s why it often seems disjointed and the characters are so eratic. and i agree, i used to love Sue, but she’s basically useless now. she either needs a reason to hate the glee club again or she needs to go. i also hate most of the guest stars (Gwyneth most of all) but i can’t hate Cheno. she’s so talented. she can come back whenever she wants.

• kray says:

I still love Glee, but I agree that there have been many episodes this season where I have been underwhelmed. I think you hit it right on when you said that they are writing around songs instead of picking songs for the story. The themed episodes have been the worst offenders. And I am sorry, but I am not a Fleetwood Mac fan, so only Rachel and Santana’s performances really wowed me. During the other songs, it seemed like the cast understood what the lyrics were trying to say about as well as I did.

5. Daw Johnson says:

Do you watch “Glee?” Artie is not the “sweetest guy on the planet”–he’s a notorious, chauvinistic jerk. Remember how he treated Tina (who he simply called “woman” on at least one occasion?). The whole thing with him is that, beyond the “innocent, in a wheelchair exterior,” he’s actually kind of a dick.

• Mike says:

Artie is a notorious, chauvinistic jerk. That is bS, what show are you watching? He is a pretty cool guy

• Courtney says:

Actually, one of the earliest contrived moments of the season came smack in the first episode when in a couple lines of dialogue they showed Artie and Tina breaking up. Artie is at his least believable when he’s sitting in the lunch line telling Tina he’s too busy playing HALO to call her. I wish they had spent more than thirty seconds of screen time on ending what was a great first season relationship.

He can play the jerk in songs, but I don’t think he’s generally a jerk, and as soon as he calls Brittany stupid, he regrets it. He’s not a dick; he’s a high school student who has every right to be upset about finding out that his girlfriend (his incredibly hot, impossible girlfriend) has been making out with another girl and doesn’t even recognize it as cheating. Granted, he’s being angry at the wrong person. But maybe it’s time for him to pick up the pieces and move on.

• J9 says:

Agreed… Artie is not the best boyfriend. Before he self-emoted the relationship, I thought he was going to pull the “you’re too good for me” card, which really translates to “I don’t like our relationship.” He was horrible to Tina, and if anyone remembers, quite cruel to Brittany after the first time they slept together.

• Anatasia B. says:

I have to agree with you here. Artie consistently reveals misogynistic tendencies and not only in his treatment of Tina. It’s interesting what the writers have done with him: on the surface, we (the audience) should immediately feel sympathy for him simply because he is in a wheelchair, but they challenge that sympathy with his attitude toward women. He acts like many teenage (and adult) men. I would further contend that this attitude pervades Glee itself. While they are getting better, the writers have had a difficult time portraying women in a three-dimensional and respectful way. (The list of examples here is great, but I point to “Blame It on the Alcohol” episode & Finn’s “archetype” speech, which conveniently omitted the guys. And, this becomes ironic when discussing the Madonna episode.)

Hopefully, the show will fix this issue, and as much as they might try, I don’t see any sympathy for Artie coming from me anytime soon.

6. Mike says:

Got to disagree with you I love Finchel one of the favorite part of thew show, also like Bartie but its seems that is dead.

• Mick says:

They are the best part of the show. True love. People are blind if they don’t see it. Finchel belong together

7. Ryan says:

Have to agree, Artie is kind of a douche.
    Tina broke up with him saying “You are a terrible boyfriend”.

• Stacie says:

He was a terrible boyfriend and needs to grow up. I know that Santana tricking Brittany into thinking that whatever they do isn’t cheating wasn’t exactly right and he has a right to be jealous, but to call someone out who isn’t the most intelligent person in the world “stupid” was rough. I know that Brittany was making a point when she said he was the only one that never called her stupid, but has Santana really called her that? Santana definetly knows Brittany isn’t going to be on the honor roll or anything like that, but I don’t feel she has ever blatantly or intentionally called her stupid or dumb. That’s a low blow even if Artie’s insecurities were flaring up.

8. Kate says:

Kevin is the sweet one. lol Artie was a jerk to Tina, “I’ll have you know that my penis is working just fine” is one of his many lines to Tina in S1. And the boy treated his girlfriend like a 3 year old, several times. Tho it didn’t help that Brittany acted like one on those occasions. Artie and Brittany never made sense to me anyway, was never sure about Brittany’s feelings but Artie seemed too in love with Tina still in the beginning of this season.

I don’t know how I feel about the Quinn/Finn/Rachel storyline this week. So I’m gonna skip that and move onto Cheno and my love for her. I LOVED Dreams, and it says a lot because the original is my all time favorite song and it’s usually hard to love a cover when that’s the case but I loooved the Glee version. Cheno really can do no wrong in my eyes apparently. lol. Go your own way was really good too of course.

A big WORD on everything you said about Naya, Songbird and that performance. I also loved Heather’s expressions throughout the song, her teary eyes and red nose. And good god Naya.. I felt like intruding on a real life moment and definitely made me tear up. But why not actually ask her to the prom right then and there Brittany? Needless to say I’m now very intrigued by the Santana/Brittany storyline. Oh and that last moment, ‘soulmate’ and those looks? Wow. They nailed it alright.

I agree Chord did a great, great job with his scenes. But can he do something about that hair already please? It’s too distracting, I kinda spent his scene wanting to blow it off of his face when I should have been crying along with him.

And nope, you’re not alone regarding Shuester’s tears.

9. Jade says:

I agree, Chord Overstreet brought it this week! He has been great with facial acting all season and the tears really got to me, especially since I think this was probably the first time he has cried on camera. He’s definitely a better crier than several of the actors on the show… I won’t name names, lol.

I also liked that the group didn’t have a problem with whether or not Sam was gay, but the fact that Kurt would be cheating on Blaine. It was a non-issue, as it should be. Interesting that Quinn was the one to shoot down the rumor though… not Kurt or, oddly enough, Sam himself.

I wish Don’t Stop hadn’t been such a hot mess though. I’d like to see Sam get to sing more than just Top 40. I like Chord’s voice a lot. He needs more singer/songwriter stuff.

• Jax says:

Really? I thought his crying looked horribly fake and contrived. I could almost feel him trying to force out a few tears. It was so bad for a minute there I thought he was doing it on purpose to get back at Finn and Rachel.

• Ang says:

Sure, he’s not Chris Colfer, but Chord was certainly better than Darren, Jenna or Heather. He at least had tears.

10. OtterChaos says:

Just like Sleazak Rumors is hardwired into my brain to take me back to 1977 so tonight was going to be a winner for me if there was only one song that the cast scored on. My favorite was Santana’s “Songbird” but I also enjoyed “Go your own way” and “I don’t want to know”. For me (for you (get out of my head Randy!)) the relationships in the Glee club didn’t factor into my enjoyment of the songs tonight, I just sat back and rewound the DVR for another go of “Songbird” and also “Never Going Back Again” which I loved for all the guitars added to the mix.

11. Jane99 says:

It’s official – Rachel Berry is THE most pathetic girl on television. I got hooked into Glee because of her, and it seems it’s going to be her that makes me stop watching. I cannot stomach any more of this girl throwing away all self-respect because of a boy. God, when will Finchel end so I can like these two characters again? They’re rapidly reaching Go-Die-In-A-Fire levels for me now…

On the other hand, Sam’s storyline was awesome. More of that please!

• Debra says:

Like Quinn is any better. She went back into a relationship with Finn, knowing that he still had strong feelings for Rachel and did it in a deceitful manner by cheating on Sam. I would rather be like Rachel and fight for the boy I love and I know deep down still loves me than one who only went after him just to be Prom Queen and popular again.

• G-Mom says:

I agree!!! Talking about “Go die in a fire” – I wish it was Quinn!! (well, not really, but I CAN’T STAND her!!!) She is and will always be mean, self-centered, etc. and needs to find a guy just like her. Of course, I hate to see Rachel lose her self-respect over Finn, but maybe she never had any other than for her talent.

• Jane99 says:

Quinn is an evil cow, so I don’t expect anything better from her. Rachel has the capacity to be a decent person, so it’s all the more irritating when she continually chooses to be needy and pitiful. I hope she never gets a role on Broadway requiring her to portray and independent woman – she’d never be convincing. Like it or not, Finn and Quinn have chosen to be together – she needs to respect that and back off.

Personally, I don’t find Finn to be all that, myself, but I can’t see why he would want Rachel when she’s continually this pathetic. I think the show-runners must expect me to feel sorry for her pining, and I did – for an episode. A season later, all I feel for her now is contempt.

• me says:

>What I wouldn’t give for an episode where Santana and Puck corner Rachel and fit her with a shock collar. For her own good, of course, because they can’t stand it any more. Gaze wistfully at Finn… ZAP. (You can’t tell me Santana wouldn’t enjoy it.)

YES! MERCIFUL FSM YES! Please Glee writers/producers, if you’re reading this, do that. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Rachel needs to learn to be ok with being alone before she can be with anyone. It’s the same thing I say about my niece who thinks any relationship no matter how horrible the guy is better than no relationship

• Jurybox says:

The writers are taking Quinn back to the place she was at the beginning of Glee’s first season – as if she’s had nothing happen in between. It’s just not believable.

12. Elizabeth says:

I fell asleep during the middle of the show… do they just pull plot items out of a hat and half-@$$ write the episodes anymore? Yeesh – there was so much potential just laying there between the plot reveal about Sam’s family, the “Rumours” theme, and April and they totally just punted on 3rd at 2 yds to go.

Artie’s performance was the only good moment last night…

• BRETT says:

How they do it is they come up with the episode title and then haphazardly (and that’s putting it lightly) write a plot around it. Every new episode is basically securing the fact for me that this is the last season of GLEE I’ll be watching.

13. Kate says:

I have no idea what everyone is complaining about this episode was the best of the whole season!
    Finally an episode that gave good writing material to all characters not just the gay characters
    Finally a guest star who can sing AND act!
    Finally Quinn and Rachel start to come to blows, my god weve been waiting for this since the beginning of Season 1!
    Finally more Sam, i love him and his adorkableness!
    Finally the adults being consistent and relevant!
    Finally good music that hasn’t just been released!
    This episode had it all for me and i am now excited for the next episode like i was all throughout Season 1, this season has just been lacking that Glee magic! Hell this episode even has me liking my least favorite characters, this episode had me liking Finn again, which hasnt happened since Season 1, I’m hoping it stays like this, and from what i see next week looks like it will!
    Welcome back Glee!

14. carmen says:

How come Rachel’s and Quinn’s duet was not included? I loved their rendition. Rachel made Quinn’s voice totally better.

15. rosie's mom says:

This question is a week too late but can anyone explain Mercedes t-shirt from last night? Did it say No Weave? Is she sad that she doesn’t have a weave? I don’t get it.

• Ember says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who didn’t get it. Why would she be upset she didn’t have a weave?

• Paul says:

She wasn’t wearing a weave in the scene, thats why her hair was so curly. She is ashamed of her hair so she wears a weave to hide it. Hence her wearing No Weave in the performance.

16. Lesley says:

I wish Michael Ausiello wrote reviews instead of you. He’s respectable. You’re just a douchebag.

17. NanCeE* says:

I loved “I Don’t Want To Know” – it was my favorite vocal of the night. Was sad they didn’t cover “Gold Dust Woman” and “The Chain” too. New Directions would have killed “The Chain”. And I know Will Schuester is everyone’s favorite whipping boy, but I love it when he sings with Kristin – they’re harmonies on “One Less Bell to Answer/A House is Not a Home” are perfection and it is one of my all-time favorite Glee songs. Okay episode. Am I the only one not really buying into the Santana “Lebanese” storyline? I miss Sue – she was not only woefully underused this episode, but her lines weren’t even funny. Quelle horreur!

18. Megan says:

All I wanted was Second Hand News! But I’ll settle for Never Going Back Again, I thought it was the best of the night.

19. Becki says:

Sorry but I did not enjoy the music in this episode. I dont get Fleetwood Mac’s appeal.

20. Mile says:

Artie is the sweetest guy on the show? wtf?
    Artie is a sexist douchebag.
    The sweetest guy on the show is probably Sam. Or Blaine.

21. Michele says:

Just give me Finn and Rachel…just then the ratings will go up. I love them, they are true love. Rachel knows her heart, I just want her to be happy. I love the finchel.

22. AlistairCrane says:

I just love that Terri is back in the thick of things! She is my favourite character on this silly, goofy show, and she’s been much-missed.

• G-Mom says:

Not me!!! I can’t stand Terri!! Her voice is one of the most irritating on TV – or anywhere for that matter!!

• AlistairCrane says:

Too bad, so sad! Get used to her—Jessalyn Gilsig gave an interview with and said she may be in up to 22 episodes next season! :-D

23. Rebecca says:

Don’t over think it. It’s a fun show.

• AlistairCrane says:

You’re underthinking it. Just because it’s “fun” doesn’t mean they can get away with plot holes and other nonsense.

• lauren says:

I actually agree with you. This is what I usually say to people who complain about plot holes and relationships that don’t make sense. “You watch Glee for the music, not for the plot.” But, with the exception of Rachel and Quinn’s “Unpretty,” the music hasn’t been enough to carry the past two episodes for me. I feel like the show was on a little bit of a hot streak before the break, but it has crashed and burned since returning.

24. ASH says:

I’ve heard “Rumours” a million, zillion times over the years. But I can honestly say that I have never been moved by “Songbird” as much as I was last night. Wow…that was perfectly performed. Congratulations to Naya for creating one of the best moments of the show this season.

• BrazenSongBird says:

I really loved what Naya did with “Songbird”, but if you want to hear the definitive version, do yourself a favor and check out Eva Cassidy’s rendition. Gorgeous!

• Anatasia B. says:

Agreed. Naya absolutely killed it. As Michael noted in his recap, it was the simplicity and raw emotion that Naya brought to the song that made it so successful. She has blossomed in season 2, and I hope that TPTB continue to give her meaty material. She’s performed Santana’s coming out process with grace and wonderful complexity. Naya’s been fantastic!

25. Evelyn says:

Okay, I’m not the biggest fan of Diana Agron’s singing, but was anybody else severely impressed about how well her voice blends with Cory’s on “I Don’t Want to Know”? I mean seriously, how have these guys never sung a duet together? It makes them both sound SO GOOD!

• Gabs says:

I totally agree. I always felt that Lea overshadowed Cory’s vocals every time they sang a duet together. Him and Diana on the other hand just seem more balanced to me. It’s like they are on the same level…

26. Jim says:

A high school kid (un?)intentionally saying something stupid to his girlfriend when she’s been cheating on him? Totally believable. Whether he meant to hurt her or it was a mistake (I’m going with the latter, based on his reaction), I can completely see it happening.

27. shelley says:

I’m also extremely sickenly tired of the triangle couple drama Rachel/ Quinn/ Finn. I wanted to hug Rachel last week this week I wanted to punch her. I’d rather Rachel/Quinn have a great friendship than fight over Finn who isn’t worth it. I loved Finn last year but as of now this season he’s just a shmuck. last week he was like old Finn nice and kind. Sue was so funny last year but her character this year especially last night was just mean and not even funny. Jane’s talent is wasted on this junk called comic prose. Matthew M’s talent mixed with Kristen’s is golden. Also liked that her character was used to introduce his desire to go to broadway even if it flops. This is the s1 Glee I like when they have a guest on not take over the whole hour show like Gwynneth. Maybe that is why Jesse will be introduced to the New Directions when Mr Shue does decide to go and try out broadway. Glad to hear Jesse’s wonderful vocals again. Fleetwood Mac is 1 of my favorite groups of all time. Glee did covers very well. Love Santana and Britanny. Saw how insecure Artie was knowing that there was a relationship between Brit and Santana. Sam has a back story and showed a different story that has affected alot of people and their kids in this country today. Sam did great. Rachel is my favorite character Finn is my least fav that said I am so ready to move on from this plot. Loved how Kurt was so curt to Rachel and her being so nosey into none of her business business. Last season was interesting and fun. This season is written inconsistently and frankly just bad. 1 episode is good then 3-4 are so so then 1 is great then 4-5 are terrible. This episode in the case of Rachel Finn stakeout lots of plot holes were answered in why did Finn go back to Quinn when he has trust issues about her motives being with him and her cheating. He has no right to judge her or Sam about cheating when he is the worst just hypocritical and judgemental Finn. He was kind and nice last week and yuck this week. This is inconsistent writing of characters his has been butchered terribly this year. He has so many flaws going on at 1 time and clueless too. My eyes role back n the back of my head. GAG. Look basically the episode was OK. The message of this episode was good Rumors are hurtful. Have to say Santana and Kurt are becoming my favorite characters. Rachel’s pining and it is still pining is beyond any interest to the show anymore. I agree that the writing has alot of short comings but the writers at times give golden moments of their talents too far and few between this season. I still look forward to the rest of the season for a good story or I might be yawning through it. Hope it is better or I’ll not choose to watch s3.

28. D.H says:

uhm Artie the sweetest guy on the show? What show are you watching? He is the biggest douchebag on the show.

29. nichole says:

I think the glee writers have officially proven that they can’t do math. A ‘cheap motel’ would probably run Sam’s family $1,500 or so a month. I’m pretty sure getting a regular cheap apartment would make more fiscal sense. Other than that.. loved ‘Fondue for 2’ and the gift of chapstick.. not much else though.

• Kari G says:

Actually most cheap hotels offer deals/discounts if you stay month to month as opposed to night to night. I know someone personally that had to do this and they were able to do so for $500 or $600 a month which was a few hundred dollars cheaper than renting an apartment. :)

30. Karen says:

Am I the only one here who would kinda love Rachel and Sam hooking up?
    As much as I love Finchel, I’m kinda over it b now. And I actually think that Sam and Rachel would work together really well as a couple.
    And thank goodness for some more Kevin McHale and Chord Overstreet in this episode. More please! (and this time with some Mercedes on the side. Girl needs a solo – pronto!)
    Looking forward to Jonathan Groff aka. the Hotness Monster, next week

31. Lyn says:

Gotta agree with Slezak that it would’ve been great to hear “Chain” — perhaps instead of the incessantly overdone “Don’t Stop.” But it was lovely to hear one by the underappreciated Christine McVie; Santana’s version of “Songbird” was less ethereal, but still good.

• G-Mom says:

I totally agree with you!! To me, Christine McVie’s songs are MUCH better than Stevie’s. My favorite Fleetwood song is “Tell Me Lies” all because of Christine’s beautiful voice. Stevie’s is good but it is completely different from Christine’s. Santana’s “Songbird” was just beautiful!! (Am I sounding like Steven Tyler now??)

• Kate says:

Under appreciated, have you never heard the Eva Cassidy version of Songbird, that beats everything else ever done!

32. michelle says:

did not enjoy finn & quinn’s duet. to be honest, i don’t really like quinn’s whispery vocals. her duet with rachel for “unpretty” last episode was good because lea’s voice heals all.

i didn’t feel that finn/quinn’s duet merged at all. her voice was so grating compared to his.

33. Allison says:

I was disappointed with Rachel’s version of “Go Your Own Way,” actually. That has got to be one of my favorite songs ever (not just my favorite Fleetwood Mac song) and I just didn’t feel like the song fit Lea Michele’s voice. It’s difficult to sing, yes, but it’s actually a pretty simple song that needs to be sung with a lot of grit (and a little anger and desperation) and personally, I didn’t feel a lot of emotion from her, though God help her, she tried. It sounded good, but I didn’t hear a lot of depth to it. The emotion came from seeing her, not from her voice, and I needed to hear it. Also, I’m a little sick of Michele gasping between every phrase like she’s having an asthma attack. I know it’s supposed to make it sound like she’s getting really into a song, but it annoys me. But that’s just my opinion. I definitely have no problem with anyone that liked this version, but I, personally will not be downloading it.

34. Amy says:

am kind of meh about last night’s episode. Some okay stories and decent songs, nothing blowing me away. But what did excite me? Previews for next week! I cannot wait for the return of Jesse St. James, prom, seeing Kurt and Finn actually at home together (it’s easy to forget they are brothers and live together), and most of all Quinn slapping the crap out of Rachel. I cannot wait to see how that plays out. Here’s hoping for a fantastic episode.

35. Laurel says:

You’re right Slezak there were so many great songs on the Rumors ablum,I had forgotten all about it until last night.

As far as the storylines on the show…
    I felt they were kinda weak.

Except for Lord Tubbington and Brittany’s talk show.
    Lord Tubbington smoking AGAIN. Very funny stuff !

36. jenna says:

I thought this was the best episode in a looooong time!
    This show does best when it focuses on the kids and the music. I could have done without the Will/April and the Sue/Terri stuff, but the musical numbers by the kids were awesomely done; all of them.
    And I loved the Two for Fondue, and the cat. Great episode!!!

37. Julia says:

can i just say that this episode went by way too fast compared to all the different topics that they opened up like from Mr. Shue leaving and his relationship with Emma, and Terri’s back with Sue, and April, and Brittney with Santana, and Finchel, and Quinn being an overprotective brat, and Sam (i love Chord Overstreet!!!! best part of the episode!!), and soo much more! But anyways am I the only one who was sad when Sam rejected Rachel. I didn’t get why he said no. When he said she was not his “type” and then was spotted with Kurt, I thought he was gay at first, but then obviously not. So.. I guess I am just confused why he cant just be her date for prom????- even after she gave him chapstick 8)

• CC says:

I kinda thought Sam couldn’t afford to go. With money being nonexistent, he wouldn’t be able to get an outfit or pay for tickets.

38. Linderella49 says:

I actually loved this episode. I thought the relevance of Sam’s story was very now and real…middleclass family find themselves living in a motel after losing everything. I also thought bringing his little brother and sister to school for the big sing was apprapos to the plot line. The New Directions wanted to elevate their friend and show support – it was awesome. And Santana once again proves her strong acting chops and her lovely voice. She’s becoming more and more the reason I watch this show.

My favorite non-musical moment: Sue in full Ann Coulter regalia admitting to Terry that she (Sue) is “losing her grip” – it was a very noticable drop of the facade (while in costume) of all that is the defiant, mean, and despicable Sue.

39. znachki says:

My favorite part was all of the digs at the press and rumors. Not to mention the “Blind Items”. Who can they mean by that?

I remember Rumors from my HS days. Can’t stand Stevie Nix’ singing to this day…

40. AlistairCrane says:

The album is spelled “Rumours”.

41. Sharon says:

Please, save this season, Jesse!

42. Bobby says:

LOVED IT!! One of the top episodes in my opinion simply because they used Fleetwood Mac perfectly for the plot and the songs were awesome.

43. MB says:

I have to agree with the other posters that this season has been really weak. We got way too many guest stars and most of them had really no purpose outside of being human jukeboxes or being shoddy plot devices. Gwyneth Paltrow and Darren Criss didn’t really bring anything to the show. Most of the time spent on these 2 characters is spent on them singing songs and have little to no character developments. Their scenes are only there to show how “amazing” they are and to sell songs on Itunes. Their characters also had the quickest change of heart ever seen on a show. Hollie dated then dumped Will over a week. And Blaine was so awkwardly written that they spent 6 episodes showing him not caring about Kurt only to make him fall in love with him because of a song.

I also fail to see how it was relevant to bring Charice into the mix. They never integrated her properly into the show and the last time they used her it didn’t make any sense. “Oh I’ve seen on facebook about your fund raiser so here’s a song”. Same thing with Chenoweth. Will had 4 potential love interest this years and none were really fleshed out : Terri, Emma, Hollie and April. Why give him four if you cannot make one work.

It seems the writers love to create characters and get bored with them quickly. Since the guest stars used much of the spotlight, the remainder of the episodes aare dedicated to weak themed episode where the New Directions act like complete idiots. I’m still baffled that there are 13 kids in there and that they only interact with the same kids over and over again. Instead of spending time on guest stars they could spend time on the actual kids and flesh them out.

44. Frimi says:

I can’t believe Finn. How can he forget what Quinn did to him? Weird.

If he continues down this path, the next thing we’ll know is that he regected Rachel because he “dosen’t know what to do about ‘this'”

45. Mdz says:

I really hate that Artie and Brittany broke up!! I love them as a couple…:(
    Hope Finchel gets back together soon…love them!

46. anonymous says:

I am a huge Fleetwood Mac fan, and Don’t Stop was a horrible horrible horrible horrible remake. It was way to electronic, and although they captured the enthusiasm of the song, nothing else translated. For anyone loving some Fleetwood Mac listen to their live performance of Don’t Stop in The Dance, not only is their talent unbelievably amazing, but the USC marching band is equally incredible.

47. Kat says:

Couldn’t stand the Finn/Quinn song…Diana’s voice is just too thin but these two have zero chemistry together. Pairing them is a huge mistake on Murphy’s part. Downloaded “You can go your own way” and thought’s Lea’s vocal rocked!

I agree the scene with Sam and the kids didn’t make sense…unless the Glee death is his mom and they want it to impact the Glee club though Finn’s mom would be better for that.

48. Anon says:

I know I’m probably a minority here but “Go Your Own Way” was destroyed for me in this episode. I love the song and I’m not the biggest fan of Rachel’s voice. On the other hand, I love that Quinn is getting more songs in as I love her voice. Also, don’t understand the love of Finn – not a big fan of his character or his singing voice. Loving Sam though!
    I’m glad Fleetwood Mac had an episode!! Although, the story line as a whole was quite weak – I hope for more original and intelligent stories in the future!

49. Rush says:

Artie’s “God, Brittany, why are you so stupid?” was a perfect example of how Artie is somewhat socially inept, especially when it comes to girls. It’s one of those lines that slips out when you’re emotional and mean something different. Kevin McHale’s reaction was perfect for someone who just realized what he said and wishes he could take it back. I’m sure the character would like to have said “naive” but came out with the one word that would hurt Brittany the most.

50. Poor news – Syria’s ‘mutilation mystery’ deepens…