Comic-Con

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on a Castle First, TVD, Fringe's Freaky Finale, Private Practice & More

Got the Monday blahs? Let’s see if I can perk up the start of your week with a flurry of scoops, teases and sound bites from some of TV’s hottest shows and stars.

Hooray for Hollywood! | I’ve said it before: I’ve never met a meta reference I didn’t like, and tonight’s Castle (ABC, 10/9c) promises to serve up plenty as Kate and Rick chase a case to Los Angeles – and along the way, set foot at the studio where Nikki Heat’s big-screen debut is filming. I’m told that the scenes at the fictional movie studio were shot just outside Castle’s own soundstage, so if you pay attention, you’ll spy an airplane prop used from the scene prior. Also on set, Castle and Beckett meet the actors playing “Raley” and “Ochoa” (Ryan Deal and Justice Gamble) – aka Ryan and Eposito’s cinematic alter egos — and that conversation is “hilarious,” raves my source. The L.A. jaunt also sets the stage for a Castle first, when Rick drives a car. As for the season finale airing May 16, my source who recently screened it claims to be “still crying.” Hmm….

The Fringe Season Finale Trailer: O.M.G!

Fringe‘s Time Warp | To date, John Noble has been tasked with playing Walter, Walternate and younger versions of each. But as glimpsed in the promo for the season finale airing Friday, he has added Future Walter and Walternate to his repertoire – the former of which seems to have regressed to the disoriented incarnation first visited in the series pilot. “There’s a variation [on one of my characters] that you’ll see in the finale that did affect my concentration, my mood,” the actor shares. Speaking of the sure-to-be-freaky season-ender, Noble suggests that the “6:02″ time that was critical to the April 22 episode will come into play again during the Fox drama’s closing hour. “That time frame is very important to remember as we get to the finale,” he teases. Do you think Future Peter might somehow travel to the past – to prior to 6:02 AM on that meaningful morning — to keep the Machine from being activated in the first place?

Major Castle Spoiler Alert: Season-Ending Crisis for Castle and Beckett

Love Bites | For a bit now, The Vampire Diaries‘ Matt has known that his girlfriend is a vampire. But it was only recently that Caroline came to know that he knows. As can happen when bloodsuckers enter a romance, things have gotten a bit rocky. But with so much going on in Mystic Falls as of late, expect the lovebirds to smooth things over. Says TVD exec producer Julie Plec, “We’re now watching [Matt] as he’s realizing that there is still humanity in [Caroline], and asking himself, ‘Can I love her anyway?’ That’s the journey that takes them into [the May 5] episode.” Could you forgive your honey for being a vampire? Discuss in comments! (I kid.)

Vampire Diaries Scoop: Will Klaus’ Ritual Work? Will [Spoiler] Survive? How Will the Season End?

Stripper-Mauled! | NBC’s Chuck tonight takes viewers along for the ride as the bride- and groom-to-be are subjected to bachelorette/bachelor parties. The banana hammock-clad entertainers at Sarah’s luncheon, though, got a bit too close to comfort. Yvonne Strahovski sets the scene thusly: “It was me on a chair with these four dudes [playing strippers], my head level with their genitals. It was horrifying!” Strahovski labored to enforce a “10-inch rule,” though one of the gents penetrated the perimeter. Says Ryan McPartlin after spying the scene, “I don’t want to speak on behalf of Yvonne, but I think one of the guys actually brushed up against the side of her face with… an inappropriate body part.”

Private Practice‘s Sexy Bratt | This just in: At the time I Q&A’d Kate Walsh, she told me that she did not know the name of the character being played by new cast member Benjamin Bratt. Well, ABC’s season finale press release has revealed it to be Conor, and he is described as “a new admirer [of Addison's] who offers her a very tempting proposition.” So work with that, fans!

Eagleton Soars | NBC’s Parks and Recreation this week at long last visits Eagleton, the Pawnee neighbor that has often been referred to, and usually in a rather reverential manner. This Thursday you will see why. For one, Eagleton’s public forum — led by a breeches-wearing Parker Posey — bears zero similarity to the kooks-filled town meetings lorded over by Leslie. You’ll also learn why the Eagleton air smells of vanilla, and why getting jailed there (as one Pawnee fave discovers) is no bad thing. Next week’s Parks and Rec, though, is even more off-the-wall, as the launch of Tom’s (140 proof!) Snakejuice drink finds the gang – Ron included — letting their respective hair down in all sorts of ways.

If there’s a show or hot topic you’d like the Inside Line on, email mattmtvguy@gmail.com, and maybe it’ll get some love the next time around! (With reporting by Megan Masters and Vlada Gelman)

1. Holly says:

All this scoop about the Castle finale (still crying?!) is making me afraid. I’m used to characters getting killed off in shows I like, but I really wish it weren’t happening in this one. Also, I agree on the meta thing – I got that same kind of vibe reading the Heat books; it was really weird.

2. Janah says:

The Castle finale scoop is freaking me out, too. I dont want someone to die on that show – on every other show there is at least one character I dont like that much…but on Castle I dont want to miss anyone of the cast next season. I love them all….

3. tahina says:

Castle gets best spoilers ever, thanks Matt!!. I fear also that someone very dear is going to get killed; and Alexis leaving for college is going to be very emotional at the end, so Castle will feel lonely, hope he will not get funny ideas with his ex! :(

4. Liz says:

The Fringe finale looks SO GOOD. I’m not going out Friday night to watch it live! I like that they are giving Matt and Caroline on TVD a chance… if they survive the lockwood basement with a werewolfed tyler!

5. Mindy says:

I have no idea what Fringe is doing anymore, and this is AWESOME! Cannot wait to see this. And please, please, Emmy voters, nominate John Noble this season!

• Jason says:

The unpredictability of Fringe is one of the keys to it’s brilliance. No other show has ever pulled off what they have, and I doubt any show again ever will! Most intelligent show on TV!

6. Amy says:

Thank you, thank you for scoop on my two favorite shows – Castle and Parks and Rec! Can’t wait.

7. suzy says:

Matt only found out that Carolina was a vampire when she told him a couple of episodes ago. That’s why he freaked out, he had no idea and now realizes that his sister wasn’t lying when she said that vampires got her.

8. L says:

Caroline doesn’t know that Matt knows she’s a vampire, as far as she’s aware she made him forget and Matt is faking not knowing. Either way, I’m still not sure I want them two together because the chemistry between Caroline & Tyler was awesome!

• Andy says:

I know she didn’t ACKNOWLEDGE that she knows he knows … but given the last episode’s ending (gun-wielding Tyler and fang-baring Caroline running from wolfy Tyler) it’s safe to assume she knows he knows.

• Andy says:

Oops … meant gun-wielding MATT, not Tyler :P

• L says:

I do agree and think Caroline probably knows now, and it did look like there was a moment there between them! I can’t wait to see how it pans out because Caroline will be peeved, surely?! Totally going to be a throwdown with her mom, no?!

9. Karla says:

Conor/Addison on Private Practice = Caddison? Go Ben Bratt!

10. prish says:

Well, I’ve decided not to watch the finale. If it is a character from the show, I’ll never watch it.

11. Ilaria26 says:

Maybe this Addison and Sam storyline is over, I was waiting for this moment! Conor, I like his name :)

12. AndyLuvr says:

That’s weird about PARKS AND RECREATION: the show has already ventured to Eagleton in the past: in the finale of Season 1, I remember Marlene setting up an unsuspecting Leslie on a date with a senior citizen from Eagleton. And in Season 2, on at least two separate occasions, Pawnee residents went to Eagleton: Tom trolled an Eagleton bar to check out where Duke Silver a.k.a. Ron Swanson romances elderly women and the gang built a park in Eagleton that was sponsored by the Kaboom! organization in the episode where the pit behind Ann’s house finally got filled in. I’m curious what side of Eagleton we’ll see this time around.

13. Myrtle says:

How was your “source” able to screen the finale of Castle when it’s still in the editing process?

• Jason says:

They can still screen a rough edit. Part of the editing process is picking the correct take of a scene, so it’s possible they viewed a rough cut with the correct scenes in order, but they’re still tweaking the takes of each scene they need.

14. Jenny says:

Ugh, can Matt and Caroline just freaking end already?! I’m not saying the writers have to pair up Tyler and Caroline right now, but please break up Matt and Caroline. They suck!

• Michael says:

I disagree. I think that they’ve written Matt into a corner and don’t know what to do with him. The actors have chemistry but they need to fix Matt’s character. He’s the only one that I wouldn’t really miss.

15. Chuck says:

re the Chuck spoilage: Strahovski labored to enforce a “10-inch rule,” … hmmm does this mean that she was part of the “casting process”? lol

16. TaMara says:

Re: Chuck scoop. I see what you did there. 10 inch, penetrate. Hmmm.

17. liz says:

They just finished shooting Castle like 2 days ago and your friend already screened it?? Whoa that was fast.

18. Linderella49 says:

I love all the characters on Castle…but I really think it is Castle’s mother or the Captain. Either one would really be awful but I guess they need to fuel future plots. Bummer.

• Jolie says:

I love all of the characters on Castle too…except maybe
      Alexis, she’s kinda annoying.

BUT I think the mother is going to be killed. If Rick’s mom
      was murdered, like Becketts mom was, it will bring them
      closer together.

19. Aiden says:

Poor Yvonne! Although, I gotta say, I can’t wait for the episode now. It’s gonna be hilarious!

20. Kate says:

I haven’t seen a minute of the Castle finale, and I could cry even THINKING about one of the main characters dying. I really love them all. The more I hear about this finale, the more nervous I get. I have no doubt that it will be an amazing hour of tv, but I really hope that these major game changers we’re hearing about don’t change the in general lightheartedness that makes Castle what it is. I love the show the way it is!

21. M says:

Of course they’re not gonna make Matt suffer for his deception. Tyler made a mistake in the heat of the moment and he had to leave town, but Matt fakes being compelled and conspires with Caroline’s mom and that’s okay?!. *rolleyes* I’m tired of how hard they stan Matt on this show. All I wanted was for Tyler/Caroline to have a chance and it doesn’t seem like that’s ever gonna happen. This whole thing combined with how awful the second half of the season has been is seriously making me think my viewership.

22. tums1956 says:

Matt, right on with how meta and fab, Castle was going to be. Not a wrong note in the whole episode. Really fun to see Kate in Rick’s world and getting a bit comfortable.

More, more, more.

23. tums1956 says:

Looks like a bit of “lightness” next week too.

24. Whittington says:

I love Castle. I love the relationship between Beckett and Castle. I hope they do get together next season but slowly. We love the relationship and want to enjoy the ride. I just do not want them with anyone else it gets too goofy. The writers will do a great job once they are together. Just because they will together does not mean they have to get married right away. There are alot of issues with the relationship. This show will last long once they get together there will so much more to tell. I can not wait for tomorrow night.

It is going to be a long summer……………