Greatest Idol Performance? Kris Allen, Chris Daughtry Join the Battle on Day 7!

We’re entering Day 7 of’s American Idol All-Time Greatest Performance Bracket Tournament, and a number of bold rearrangements and unexpected song choices highlight the lower half of the Rock/Country/Alternative Males division.

Yes, folks, we’re taking you back to “Heartless,” “Hallelujah,” and “Hemorrhage,” among others, as part of our 64-player tourney, which is composed of the most electrifying moments in the 10-season history of Fox’s ratings juggernaut. It’s your job to vote in these single-elimination faceoffs, and decide which 32 Idol Moments advance to Round 2.

Archuleta, Aiken, Gokey, and Hicks Do Battle on Day 5 of
Idol‘s Greatest Performance Tourney

Every day around 1:00 p.m. ET over the next few weeks, we’ll launch a new set of duels to the death that will have you joyously reliving your favorite Idol moments and biting your nails wondering how in the heck you’re gonna choose between ’em.

Idol’s Greatest Moment (Day 6): Vote J.Hud, Melinda, LaKisha, Diana, More!

Before you head to the polls, you may want to peruse these memory-refreshing links to the performances entering the ring this afternoon:

Kris Allen, “Heartless
Kris Allen, “Falling Slowly
Jason Castro, “Hallelujah
Constantine Maroulis, “Bohemian Rhapsody
Michael Johns, “It’s All Wrong But It’s All Right
Chikezie Eze, “She’s a Woman
Chris Daughtry, “Hemorrhage (In My Hands)
Chris Daughtry, “I Walk the Line

‘Idoloonies’: Paul McDonald on ‘Blackbird,’
Crazy Dancing, and…Adam Lambert Comparisons?

It’s gonna be brutal seeing four of those great Idol moments snuffed out in Round One, no? So make sure the right choice is made by heading down to our polls to vote for your favorites (Round 1 voting will be open for 72 hours), and hit the comments to justify your picks. And if you’re interested in the matchups we’ve got planned for the coming weeks, click here to check out the entire 64-player bracket (then click again for a zoomed in view), and sign up to follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. JVC says:

Great choices slezak. I can’t believe in the match-up of jason castro vs. constantine, constantine hasn’t gotten a single vote yet, but that can change. I wished you had chosen ain’t no sunshine by kris allen instead of fallen slowly. Kris is definitely one of my favorite winners, and ain’t no sunshine made me a fan of his. Still you got heartless up there so good job. One question, with only one more round left before round 1 is over, are the remaining contestants going to be shuffled up or go as is? Great fun.

• kai says:

Loving the Greatest Idol moments contest. Some fantastic performances and makes me really miss all of them! Just watched Michael Johns……damn!!!! This is the problem with Idol this season, the soulful heartfelt performances are few and far between this season. The teenyboppers have no idea what to do with songs — they have not lived a life. They don’t know heartache!! I can only think of a few moments this season. Stefano Langone with I Need You Now is at the top of the list. James Durbin had a few moments the past couple of weeks with Will You Still Love Me, and dare I say Jacob’s God Bless the Child. But there just aren’t that many Greatest Moments packed with Soul this season.

2. brandy says:

All my favorite guys leading the polls!

3. eli44 says:

None of these are the best! Try Eliot Yamin’s Somebody to Love! We need more Eliot love!

4. julie says:

My only complaint about these polls is why do you have the Idols going up against themselves if they have more than 1 song listed? If I like both the songs one Idol has on the list, I’d like to be able to vote for both of them without the songs going head-to-head against each other…

• KrisMyIdol says:

Yes.. totally! It’s so hard to choose between those two songs of Kris! Both are awesome.. Thanks god you didn’t add “Ain’t No Sunshine” on there too..

5. Those were my 2 favorite Kris Allen performances. I knew that a lot of people were going to vote for Heartless, so I wanted to show some love for Falling Slowly. I never heard the song before hearing his version a few years ago, and now that song is easily one of my favorites. It can still be debated if Adam Lambert should have won or Kris Allen, but there’s no denying that Kris was an extremly creative and talented musician, and those 2 performances prove that.

6. Amy says:

So hard to pick between Kris Allen’s performances!

7. kellen says:

kris’ “heartless” cover was great (obviously), but i had to give my vote to “falling slowly”. it has sentimental value, so i couldn’t abandon it as my favorite of the two. it pains me to see it THAT far behind. :(

8. Bethie R says:

Ack – making me choose between Kris Allen’s “Heartbreak” and “Falling Slowly” is like making me choose between mocha almond fudge and mint chocolate chip ice cream, both my favorites! Can I vote twice?

9. sahsouha1 says:

Michael, I love you but this is really unfair..KRIS ALLEN’s Heartless & Falling Slowly are my two favourite songs ever on idol…how can I chose between them! And let me applaud you for the perfect choice of Epic Group to see one patch..this is GROUP PERFECTION! LOL

10. Teena says:

Believe it or not, I have an Idol playlist and my Chikezie downloads are some of my favorite music. I am so disappointed that he made wrong turns after Idol. His studio version of She’s a woman is even better than the performance. His “If Only for One Night” is beautiful.
    Love Kris Allen. I wish his current music featured his voice the way that his Idol performances did. “Falling Slowly” is another of my favorites for the beauty of his voice.
    My favorite Jason Castro song is “Memory”. The interview before he sang alone would give him my vote.

• Alice says:

Chikezie’s “She’s A Woman” is one of those random idol performances that really stuck with me. The two halves were both equally awesome; I really enjoyed that season a lot and for me, that was a random highlight, even though I wasn’t a big Chikezie fan.

• Grace says:

Same here! I remember both She’s a Woman and It’s All Wrong pretty well – if memory serves, both made it onto to my end-of-season-7 Best Of playlist – but I just had to go back and listen to Michael again and I didn’t have to with Chikezie because I remembered She’s a Woman SO vividly! Great arrangement, great performance, great singer, such a pleasant surprise…

11. Lisa says:

Choosing between “Heartless” and “Falling Slowly” is like asking me to choose which of my children I love more (just had a flashback to the movie ‘Sophie’s Choice’).
    I admit that I wasn’t familiar with the song “Falling Slowly” or the movie ‘Once’. But after hearing Kris’ version, I looked both up on the internet and bought Kris’ iTunes version the second it came out. Any performance that can impact people like that is a true “Idol moment”.
    Then there was “Heartless”. It silenced the judges and eliminated Danny Gokey. Need I say more?
    So how do I decide?? I let my iTunes decide. “Heartless” has been played 396 times and “Falling Slowly” 370 times. I have 3 teenage daughters that LOVE Kris Allen so between the four of us, we have had these songs on replay for the last couple of years.

12. Sara says:

Come on everyone lets vote for Constantine. His performance was amazing and Simon actually used the word “astonishing” in a good way.

• wordgirl says:

okay, strange as it may seem,Jason and Constantine are two of my all time favorite male idols. But I gave the vote to C because he and Bo changed the face of idol that year. Rock was okay on the idol stage.

13. Jon says:

Where is “Ain’t No Sunshine” by Kris Allen? That is far and away his best performance.

14. Evan says:

“Hallelujah”- ugh. My theory is that anybody can sing that song as long as they sing it quietly and pseudo-emotionally enough. Even Tim Urban managed it, for goodness’s sake.

15. Marta says:

My hardest choice this week….Hemmorage vs. Walk The Line. Man, Daughtry sure did pave the way for the next era of male artists on Idol. He was such a gem on the show. Though Walk the Line was a favorite of mine, I voted for Hemmorage because it remains in my mind one of the best semi-finals performances in the show’s history. NO ONE saw him coming….

16. tuppy says:

Wish you’d chosen “Daydream” from Jason instead of Hallelujah — that was the performance that made him a contender and is still my favorite of his (though he wasn’t one of my favorite contestants). But AWESOME choice re: Michael Johns! “It’s All Wrong…” still sneaks onto my ipod between more current recordings. (Also, Heartless FTW! …in this part of the bracket.)

17. paisley says:

Jason Castro’s “Hallelujah” was an imperfect cover but one of the most memorable male performances in the history of the show. I also might have selected Jason’s cover of Bruddah Iz’s “Over the Rainbow,” another memorable performance. It is hard for me to pick Daughtry vs. Daughtry when really everything he did was fantastic. Kris Allen had so many great performances but Heartless is one of my favorites, for sure. And I absolutley loved Chicke’s “She’s a Woman.” That was so unexpected and what an energetic performance — I am so glad I downloaded the video back when I Tunes offered a video for each singer!! But Michael Johns was fantastic, too. Some of these were tough this time, Michael.

18. Isabela says:

Kris Allen’s “Falling Slowly” was his idol moment for me! <3

19. Ruby says:

I…can’t vote for any of these because none of them are even on the radar. Adam Lambert. That’s the only person who should be up for this.

• Ablo says:

Oh good grief. He isn’t the only person ever to be on Idol.

• nevada01 says:

Adam is my favorite idol, too. However, lots of other contestants had great performances throughout the history of Idol. This poll pays homage to many of them so enjoy it for what it is: a walk down memory lane of great performances that you didn’t see, might have forgotten, and that deserve to be seen again.

And if you don’t feel comfortable voting, then don’t.

20. Lyn says:

For me, none of these compares to my two faves: Bo Bice doing “Whipping Post” and Adam Lambert doing “Mad World.” Just don’t make me pick between those two!

21. lacey says:

How did you ever manage to pick just 2 Daughtry songs? Based on your two choices I voted for Walk the Line, though I wish Dead or Alive had made the cut. Few people can sing Bon Jovi, and Chris is one of those few.

22. sara says:

Michael Johns was great with that performance, but Chikezie absolutely KILLED “She’s a woman” – it was fun, cool and exciting and sth I would really call a proper “Idol Moment”.

23. Preston says:

Constantine’s BR is SEVERELY underrated. Seriously, people, forget the fact that he’s creepy/douchy/a tool in real life and rewatch the performance. It’s pretty outstanding.

24. Teecie says:

I really wish you hadn’t pitted Jason against Constantine. I love both of those selections!

25. Aiden says:

Michael Slezak, I can’t believe you made me choose between Kris Allen’s “Heartless” and “Falling Slowly”. That was cruel.

26. Jennifer says:

when you let people vote incessantly, the poll is not accurate, it’s ridiculous – sort of like the Idol voting.

The tweens will win because they have nothing better to do but vote on a stupid poll.

• The Ween says:

Votes only count once. This poll should accurately reflect the readership of Michael’s column.

27. Ralphie says:

Thank you, Preston. About the BoRhap Performance, anyway. LOL

Constantine is one of the nicest people out there. Have no idea why anyone would think he was a douche in real life – unless maybe he was approached in a way that would turn him off. I’ve seen that happen. Treat him with a little respect, and you get respect back.

28. Jessabean says:

Thanks for reminding me of how good Chris Daughtry was on the show. It’s been so long and he’s been so successful – and so awesome! – after Idol that I forgot how he wow’ed when he was on Idol.

(Um, and so hot! Sorry, but … yeah)

29. JayK says:

“She’s a Woman” was such a great performance. Definitely sticks out in my Idol memory. But “It’s All Wrong”? Melted me into a puddle. One of the sexiest Idol moments ever.

30. SouthernSky says:

American Idol was sort of in the background for me until season 4, when Constantine Maroulis was a contestant. His work that season was innovative, exciting, unpredictable. Stow the personal comments, people, and look at the work. His “Bohemian Rhapsody” was an “astonishing” moment in Am Idol history, a foreshadowing of his Tony-nominated stage career, and one of those perfect storms where training and natural talent meet, and a galvanizing performance results. Jason Castro is another fave of mine, but not his “Hallelujah”. Constantine was singing that song in his club shows before anyone on Idol tackled it, and he can find every molecule of soul/emotion that Leonard wrote into it, outstanding! Wish all your choices were between two different singers, the ones who compete against themselves in essence get “byes” to the next round. :(

31. Ashley says:

A tournament without Constantine’s “Bohemian Rhapsody” in the finals is fatally flawed. That was, and still remains, my favorite Idol performance ever, perhaps only challenged by Adam Lambert’s “Mad World.” I loved Jason Castro as well, but come on… Constantine KILLED it. No comparison.

32. chrissyz says:

These brackets are a really fun trip down memory lane. I loved seeing Chikezie’s performance again – that was a great performance that I had forgotten about. One thing that is really standing out to me as I watch these clips is that I really miss the guest mentors. They added another element to each show that is so lacking this season. I looked forward to seeing the guest artists in addition to the contestants. I think I can speak for everyone when I say that no one looks forward to seeing “Jimmy and his team of producers who are crushing any creativity” each week.

33. rori says:

This is the “AI’s cutest guys ever” portion of the contest, correct? (Kris Allen & Jason Castro, especially)

34. Mady says:

Lord….choosing between Kris Allen’s Heartless and Falling Slowly performances was very difficult. In the end, I had to go with Heartless.

35. Karlena says:

Good Lord…I forgot how frakking sexy Michael Johns’ performance of that song was…mmmmmm.

36. wicked says:

MMMM – my faves – Kris, Jason, Michael, Daughtry – Adam too when you do his challenge.

37. Tuzo says:

Just watched Daughtry’s I Walk the Line and was struck with Randy’s critique. I mean, he was usually the least relevant of the judges but it was much more “real” (if that makes sense) than this season. If you compare to present day Jackson you can see how he’s really dialed up his schtick in recent years into almost a parody of himself.

38. sam says:

Those were far from my two favorite Chris Daughtry performances. I loved his Have You Ever Loved A Woman :)

39. Teri says:

I was in heat for a week after Michael Johns performance of “It’s all Wrong but It’s Alright” j/s