Dexter Spoiler Alert: Killer Season 6 Intel

Dexter Morgan’s little underground vigilante operation is about to reopen for business.

Production on Dexter‘s sixth season gets underway at month’s end — ahead of a likely September premiere — and TVLine has an early look at the new blood being brought in to fill the void left by Julia Stiles, Peter Weller and Co.

Among the three recurring roles being cast are…

| Jamie: Described as an outgoing and fun Latina in her mid-20s, this Florida native relocates to Miami for grad school.

| Chicago Mike: New thirtysomething African-American homicide detective who possesses a finely turned BS detector. The Windy City native does not play well with Dexter others.

| Louis: A buddy of Masuka’s (C.S. Lee) who joins MMP as a new lab intern. Role calls for a Caucasian actor in his 30s who is “attractive in his own way.”

Got casting tips? Theories as to how the new trio figures into the season’s A-story? Hit the comments!

Comments (49)

• I think Nicholas Brandon would be great for the lab intern. He can be quirky, and serious and downright scary and pathetic….Dexter would be a good place for this Buffy alum to show his stuff.

Comment by Brendan – May 2, 2011 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed!

Comment by B – May 2, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He would be great there, but he currently has a recurring role on CRIMINAL MINDS, I think.

Comment by Kathy Bergeron – May 3, 2011 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree, NB would be great in this role! His Criminal Minds role is recurring but very sporadic. I don’t even recall him be in this past season at all.

Comment by Linda – May 3, 2011 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the idea of new characters, but I’m dying to see Lumen again so they better bring her back along with the new characters

Comment by Sofia – May 2, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ewww, she was the reason Season 5 sucked so very much. I never wanna see that goatsucker again!

Comment by AlistairCrane – May 2, 2011 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Whoa, those are some tough words. I loved Lumen. Then gathering evidence together, preparing the killroom together… that was great to watch. I wouldn’t mind at all to have Lumen back.

Comment by Gusar – May 2, 2011 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I meant “Them gathering evidence together.” Damn typos.

Comment by Gusar – May 2, 2011 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Agree with you I thought it was good to see dexter work with a partner. I’d love to see her back but I don’t see it happening since she left to return home to her family unless they can come up with a good reason that she returns.

Comment by cb – May 9, 2011 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Speak for yourself, I LOVED Lumen!

Comment by Denise – May 2, 2011 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree, I don’t want to see her ever again .
        At first I didn’s dislike her so much, but by the end of the season I couldn’t stand her. Her character was just a mix of Miguel Prado and a bit of Layla, but in a really bad way. The “love” story betwen them just made me roll my eyes.

Comment by MJ – May 3, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was iffy on Lumen at first, but I ended up really liking her because it was so nice to see Dexter have someone he could talk to about everything. I think between Lumen and the kids he became a lot more relatable in this season. I thought Michael c Hall did a fantastic job switching back and forth between murderous and cuddly Dexter!

Comment by Kate – May 2, 2011 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Chicago Mike” sounds like a new Doakes.

Comment by B – May 2, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I miss Sgt. Doakes.

Comment by Sourabh – May 2, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The “SURPRISE, M*THERF*CKER!” clip still makes me laugh.

Comment by darao'b – May 2, 2011 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Me too. I am still hoping for a miracle of all miracles that Doakes was never killed in that explosion and has been in rehab working to get back to take Dexter down. I loved me some Doakes. I just want to hear “I’m to you mother f*cker” one more time!!!!

Comment by Heather – May 4, 2011 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Find a place for amazing actor Holt McCallany, who was robbed of being able to continue an amazing role on Lights Out … PLEASE!

Comment by LJ – May 2, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just hope Deb is still a part of the show

Comment by hello – May 2, 2011 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • prediction: Louis is the big bad of the season.

Comment by joe Brooks – May 2, 2011 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot wait for the return of my fav show on TV! September cannot come soon enough!

Comment by Jared – May 2, 2011 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I predict Louis is the big bad of the season but at the same time befriends Dexter (like Miguel) and hooks up with him romantically (like Lumen). I mean, if they’re gonna rehash previous characters, at least switch it up. They never told us on the show whether Dexter is straight or not. I wouldn’t mind some bisexual action from our main hero (or antihero).

Comment by Alexandru – May 2, 2011 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There’s never been any evidence that Dexter might swing both ways but every evidence that he’s straight. Are you getting distracted by his gay character in Six Feet Under? ;-)

Comment by Dissecting Dexter – May 2, 2011 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • At his darkest, Dexter is asexual with heterosexual impulses, whereas at his most human you could argue that grew to love Rita and found a love with Lumen.

Besides, even if there was some homosexual urge in there, it would be against The Code. Rule #1: Blend in. Do not draw special attention to yourself in any way.

Comment by John – May 2, 2011 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Consider this: Louis is the new big bad.. and it allows them to make it look like the killer is a lab geek (geting close to being Dex) and getting Dex all paranoid.. only to reveal at the end, that Louis was actually a killer too… and they are still oblivious to our man Dexter.

Kind of a hybrid of the Doakes years and the Miguel/Lumen arcs… I mean if they are actually going to just do a re-boot, why not?

Personally, I hope they continue to build on Dexter’s emptional development – the Lumen story was amazing in that regard.. (way more than the Rita seasons).

Comment by Jules – May 2, 2011 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why do you always have to try and gay up a straight character?

Comment by Benjamin Kabak – May 3, 2011 06:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Soo they basically recast Doakes? I wish they would stop doing the same “some guy at the office is suspicious of Dexter” (taken over by Quinn after Doakes) trope again and again and mix it up a little. How about one of them knows and wants to join him? Or something?

Comment by darao'b – May 2, 2011 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ummmm, cause they already did that lol durrrr, remember the mexican DA guy that was the “big bad” two seasons ago

Comment by Beau Bennett – May 2, 2011 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @darao’b – joining him? That’s been done before too; Season 3? And to an extent Julia Stiles character last season as well.

Comment by ryaneco – May 2, 2011 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is there any word about DEB?If she’s not on Dexter i will be soooooooooooooooooooooooooo Bummed.

Comment by NickC – May 2, 2011 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For Louis, Jimmi Simpson would be great if he wasn’t doing Breakout Kings (or maybe he could, on hiatus from BOK). I also think Michael Weston would be a good fit.

Comment by pam beesly – May 2, 2011 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m kind of hoping this is the last season. I can’t WAIT for the isht to hit the fan when everyone finds out Dexter’s a psycho killer. LaGuerta’s reaction when she learns Dexter set up Doakes as the Bay City Butcher will be amazing.

Comment by AlistairCrane – May 2, 2011 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Louis will be strangely drawn to Dexter and then Dex will have another flashback to the tanker o’blood and this time he’ll remember himself, Brian and a baby brother….TWIST!

Comment by postsalot – May 2, 2011 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wouldn’t it be fantastic if we had a female lead baddie this season who knows maybe this Jamie could be more then just a grad student

Comment by Thom – May 2, 2011 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Lumen was a fantastic character and was shocked to see her leave since she was the perfect partner for Dexter. I hope they bring her back, the Rita character was way too annoying. I didn’t like her at all. It seems all she did was whine.

Comment by Kim – May 2, 2011 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They going to kill off deb or change the actress?

Comment by j – May 2, 2011 11:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A touch young, but I could definitely see Jason Dohring as the lab techie. (I’d kill to have him back on my tv.)

Comment by coldqueen – May 3, 2011 04:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should swing for the fences and cast Denzel.

Comment by yowsup – May 3, 2011 05:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dexter killed Lumen. The last scene on the boat was a dream.

Comment by Ben Kabak – May 3, 2011 06:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After the sloppy/lazy wrapping up of last season’s storylines, I think I’m over this show.

Comment by 4F – May 3, 2011 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe Mahershalalhashbaz Ali from “The 4400″ for “Chicago Mike”? His acting style would be a good antagonist to Dexter, but not be too much like Eric King as Dokes…he’s more soft-spoken…would be more threatening than outward aggression (imho).

For “Louis”, perhaps John Cho from “Harold & Kumar”? He’s pretty good.

Comment by MelissaR. – May 3, 2011 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dexter is on water-skies and heading towards a shark-tank while wearing a leather jacket…

Comment by S. Lee Stack – May 5, 2011 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *water skis* Skies is the plural of sky. And no, Dexter is not about to “Jump the Shark”. And if you feel that way, then why in the world are you reading and commenting on a “Dexter” related post? I will never get the Troll mentality. Go back to Facebook, and post nasty comments about your grandma’s birthday party. The story lines have always been somewhat outlandish, and last season was no different. It is a show about a police technician that is a serial killer. The subject matter alone requires things to be somewhat bizarre.

Comment by MJLavelle – May 18, 2011 12:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Breakout kings doesn’t get a 2nd season, i like Laz Alonso as chicago mike. He’s black and cuban; would play very well in Miami. I agree that Deb needs to know about Dexter this season.

Comment by bmospr04 – May 6, 2011 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season 5 with Lumen was my favorite. I do think Deb might find out about Dexter in this season. She found out in the first book in the series, why not in the show also? She never turned him in.

Comment by Jamie – May 7, 2011 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really that’s weird at least the way deb seems on the show I think she would turn on him. Did she help in the books or just leave dexter to do his thing?

Comment by cb – May 9, 2011 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish they would go to the books for inspiration. There are some really great stories in there. I loved how they teased Deb finding out Dexter’s secret (she knows it in the books). How about Dexter getting a young padawan (Cody ftw). And yes for the love of god, please don’t recast a Doakes/Quinn character. And with the addition of Colin Hanks, maybe get his dad to play the real master of puppets for this season. That’d be awesome!

Comment by Alex – May 9, 2011 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Terrence Howard for the African American!

Comment by Kathy – May 10, 2011 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OWEN WILSON as Louis, Masuka’s sidekick.

Comment by Kathy – May 10, 2011 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watch the interview with Co-Executive Producer of Dexter on Tomorrow’s episode of Filmnut on TheStream.tv. 8 p.m. PT/ 11 p.m. ET

Comment by Streamy – July 12, 2011 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post