Brothers & Sisters Axed? Not So Fast Says ABC

Brothers & Sisters may be down, but it’s not out. That’s the word from ABC in the wake of comments costar Rachel Griffiths made over the weekend saying — or at least strongly suggesting — that the show was toast.

At Australia’s version of the Emmy Awards over the weekend, Griffiths joked to host Shane Bourne that she may need welfare assistance because, “I’m soon to be unemployed.”

The quote ignited an instant Twitterstorm and led some Brothers & Sisters fans to conclude that the plug had been pulled on the family drama, which has yet to be renewed for a sixth season.

Not so, insists an ABC spokesperson, who assures TVLine that, “No decision has been made.”

The network unveils its fall lineup the week of May 16 and insiders say a verdict on B&S could come down to the wire. In the meantime, stay close to TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard for the latest intel on all your favorite bubble shows.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Cancellations, Controversy, News, Renewals, Scoop, Uncategorized

1. writestuffla says:

Really, ABC? After the denials about All My Children and One Life to Live one week and then axing them shortly thereafter we’re supposed to believe anything that you say anymore? Pfft.

• Sandra says:

My thoughts exactly! I dont believe anything ABC has to say.

• Sue says:

Ditto…I think ABC would be happy to go with Talk Shows and Realty Shows on their entire lineup, daytime and prime time!!!

• Flo Teeple says:

I can’t believe they cancell a very good show like Brothers & Sisters
        Boo to ABC

• Leola says:

Ditto!

• Kris says:

Well do you really think they’re going to spoil their schedule before upfronts? NO network reveals decisions before the upfronts ceremony. It’s just how it is.

• Nicole says:

@Kris – exactly. They are a business, and unless shows get picked up early they never reveal scheduling decisions until the upfronts. It’s not a matter of lying.

And, speaking as a fan of the show, is anyone really surprised that it’s most likely on it’s way out? It’s had a decent run, but this season has been really disappointing. I feel like the creative team has just hit a wall with the directions they can take this show in and it’s become a bit of a farce. I’m about four episodes behind, and I can barely muster the enthusiasm to watch them. I’ll miss it if it goes, but I’ll be missing the show as it used to be, not the one that’s on now. (But someone please get Rachel Griffiths, Luke McFarlane and Matthew Rhys back on tv pronto, please!)

• lipsticksocialism says:

couldn’t agree with you more! I actually haven’t seen much of this season, but I was sad to hear that Emily Van Camp had left. For me, it all started to go downhill with the search for Ryan. They never should have gone in that direction.

I’ve enjoyed many of the storylines since, but it’s not really the show I loved anymore. Although any Walker dinner will always be amazing.

Yes, yes, yes, I want Rachel Griffiths especially back on tv ASAP.

• Philip Chase says:

ABC has proven itself to be untrustworthy in all public statements. The recent cancellation of One Life to Live and All My Children to replace them with cheaper-to-produce reality tripe is a flagrant example of ABC duplicity considering that the creative staff and workers of the show had been told their jobs were secure by ABC executives and then learned they were fired in a surprise announcement made with no prior warning.
      ABC treats its nighttime shows as shabbily as the daytime programs. How many entertaining dramas and comedies have been pulled or cancelled quickly to be replaced by poorer shows?
      I truthfully wonder if Brothers and Sisters or Desperate Housewives will be renewed. It’s difficult to maintain any respect for a network that treats its good shows so badly simply to make a higher profit.

• Kelly says:

That is EXACTLY what I thought.

2. Ev says:

Australia’s version of the Emmys is a very very loose comparison. Has 1/100th on the credibility, especially the fan voted awards (which make up the majority of the awards).

3. I think she sees the writing on the wall. ABC always wants to keep control of the announcements, but I think that it’s pretty clear that this show’s increasingly expensive cast can’t make it with waning ratings…though I thought the same about Desperate Housewives, so I guess it could still happen.

• Nick says:

The show was once very good, but this season totally stinks. If I hear that silly music that underlines that the show is trying so hard to be a light comedy, I’ll throw my remote at the TV. It’s like a Pavlovian reflex: whenever I hear these syncopated, bouncy notes, I cringe. It’s become an unrealistic farce and it is not working.

• DennyS says:

Beg to differ. I think the show is picking up. There definitely was a noticeable slump where it COMPLETELY sucked and got really soapy and cliched for a long time but I think it’s getting better now. We’ll just have to see how long it can hold out. I think it deserves at least 1 more season to wrap everything up, because that’s just the kind of show B&S is.

4. Susan says:

I was a faithful viewer of this show for the first several seasons. I believe by S4 I had pretty much lost all in interest in this overly dramatic show. Around the time Gilles Marini showed up and the writers seemed to just pander to women who wanted to see rippling muscles more so than good story content.I enjoy Sally Field still, but so much nonsense and contrived storylines have ruined it for me forever. Surprised its still on the fence,truthfully….should have ended it by now…

5. Matt says:

WE NEEEDDDDDD a final wrap-up season!!! Even if it’s just 10-13 episodes!! They can promote it at the “final season” and bring back Holly/Rebecca/etc. for a few random episodes… It’ll DEFINITELY break 2.0 for its run, which is great compared to ABC’s normally pitiful lineup.

6. sharon says:

I think this is a great show. Would hate to see it leave!

7. Jake says:

This turkey should never have been allowed to extend beyond the brilliant first season because it has been utter trash ever since. Put it out of its misery already.

Besides: Sally Field just got cast in Lincoln, Speilberg’s biopic that will shoot in the fall.

Hmm.

8. Ingmar says:

I realy,realy,realy hope the show gets renewed because the season will end with a cliffhanger and I don’t want such a nice show to end with a cliffhanger. They deserve the chance to wrap things up.

Ofcourse if they changed their mind and they won’t end it with a cliffhanger I could live with the show ending since every SL the last few episodes are coming over like they know it will be the series finale ( Nora – Brody Justin-Tyler Sarah-Luc wedding Kitty – new guy , etc ). Would be ashame that they wrap every SL but create a cliffhanger

9. Dennis says:

Michael, or others, i have one question about the good wife…
    In your prospects it is called a sure thing for renewal, but it’s cbs lowest rated sun-thurs sday show? I really love the good wife, but how can there chances be so high???

10. Sunny says:

I really enjoy brother and sister. I hope u keep it.

11. sue says:

I live on the west coast and this show was pre empted last night due to the Osama bin Laden coverage. Does anyone know when last nigt’s episode will air?? Thanks

• Meg says:

George Stephanhottie started broadcasting around 10:20ish EST, so the last half of B&S went missing on the East Coast as well. My guess is online viewing. That’s what I plan to do.

• Davey says:

You can watch last night’s episode on Hulu or at ABC.com. I just watched the last 15 minutes because the show was interrupted on the East Coast at 10:45. The end of the episode is definitely worth watching.

12. Midori says:

Maybe she is killed off?

13. Peter says:

So when is ‘Happy Endings’ going to appear on that Renewal list? They’re already five episodes into their 13 episode season.

14. Ryan says:

After the story roller coaster that was season 4 and losing Rob Lowe and Emily Van Camp I found the first 2 episodes of season 5 bored me and haven’t watched since. I’ll get around to them some day, and I hope the series has a proper wrap up season but it lost the season 1 and 2 magic.

15. Winston says:

ABC gave up on this show months ago. No promotion. Extended breaks and then no notice of new episodes. There’s no doubt in my mind that ‘Brothers & Sisters” is done.

16. thelstrikeman says:

I hope we get like a 6-10 episodes order for next season that will wrap up the show. Eventhough the show is not what is used to be, I still enjoy watching mainly because I love the characters and the cast. They deserve a real series finale.

17. Vince says:

Hey we on the east coast missed the last 20 mins because they couldn’t wait till 11PM to tell us about that scum who was killed.
    Ditto CSI Miami season final.
    Do they plan to make it up? NO!

18. Ashley says:

I think they should keep this show the things that happen in this show people can relate to I can’t wait until the next episode to see how it will turn out it is a great tv show and I think abc should keep it going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Bobby says:

We loved the show for a long time but the last two seasons have been tedious and honestly, while watching I get bored as hell. The character of Kevin makes me want to hit myself repeatedly in the head and neck and the rest are just percentage points below him on the whiny beyotch a-hole scale. Cancel the show. It’s time for it to go.

20. Ryan says:

If they cancel B&S and V then I will not watch ABC anymore.. I love Modern Family and Cougar Town as well.. Oh well.. so be it..

21. Brock says:

Rachel made multiple comments at the Awards about its fate and said she’s back in Aus next year to direct a feature film and won’t have a job in the States!

22. Lisa says:

I hope it’s cancelled. Then I won’t have to delete them off the DVR because my roommate forgets to watch them and they pile up.

23. Emma says:

I really hope that Brothers and Sisters is renewed. I love seeing Matthew Rhys every week.

24. Joseph says:

I have liked Brothers and Sisters in the past , but found that it became very difficult to follow or even care about the principal characters. The earlier show was more balanced with only one or two characters having melt downs in any given episode. But during the last few shows everyone is having crazy moments and no one is growing.
    So at this point I say it is ready to end unless they streamline the scripts and let the characters grow.

25. Pamela Powers says:

I stayed up til midnite to watch Brothers and Sisters after the president’s speech (PDT). I only watch about 6 network shows – Good Wife, Parenthood, Grey’s, Private Practice, Desperate Housewives, Brothers and Sisters, Two and a Half Men, Mike and Molly and Castle. …ok 9. Would like to see “Mad Love” saved, too. Other than that, I watch cable shows or Netflix or dvds.

B&S has come back strong this year, and I’d like to see it go for a few more years.

26. davey says:

I thought this season of B&S has improved and the ratings were good. What does ABC have to offer instead? Silly shows like Body of Proof?

The show deserves one more season at least.

27. Linderella49 says:

I still watch B&S every week and enjoy the characters. My personal favorites are Uncle Saul, Nora, Scotty, and Justin. I think this year is a big improvement over last year and the recent episodes have been really good. Sally Field’s absence from some episodes in the Fall can easily be explained with trips to here and there; this series deserves at least one more season and hopefully Beau Bridges will there, too!

28. Ads says:

I’m sorry, but the funniest thing in this article is that you called the Logies, Australia’s version of the Emmys! It’s probably one percent like the Emmys, and that’s not a good thing :p

29. Pat says:

You know how you might have a dog who’s 20 years old and has cancer all over, and you can’t look at him anymore, because even though he tries to be funny every time you are around, you can only realize he is sad, miserable and in pain, and you can only give him a yellowish grin and think about how much better he would feel if he wasn’t feeling all that AND having to amuse you at the same time? Then you go and do the good deed of having him gone the painless way, but you still walk his carcass for about two years around the neighborhood, “for ol’ times sakes”, not realizing everybody sees that horror and smells the rotten leftovers.

30. Jeb says:

Australia’s Emmys?! Please! More like Australia’s version of the Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards!!!

31. Amy says:

Please put the show out of its misery. It’s just gotten sad

32. A Noun says:

ABC = Always Be Cons. I don’t believe a word any of them says about any show. I guess we’re just supposed to take whatever they throw at us and tell them how wonderful it is and then shut up.

33. Ella says:

I love this show but this season has suuuuucked. Especially with Sarah’s latest biological daddy storyline.

34. aquarius1271 says:

Seriously it is time for this show to call it quits. I followed it from the very first episode right until last season’s finale but gave it up. I couldn’t stand any more of those pretentious and contrived storylines and so-called emotional acting. I think the cast lost hope too because they have been phoning it in for some time now. It was telling when Rob Lowe decided to leave the show in exchange for only a supporting role in a large ensemble cast in Parks and Recreation, though critically praised, ultimately a half hour comedy series. I imagine how unbearable it must have been to go and try to act those forced lines every week. I do not believe that granting another season even if it is meant to be the last will do any favours to the show. It would only mean a waste of the talented cast for one more year.

35. susantampa says:

I hope it isn’t renewed. I’ve forced myself to watch this season. Let it go. Trying to watch those last 15 minutes is crazy. Doesn’t load.

36. Kat says:

ABC does nothing but lie! They don’t want to offer quality programming anymore, they’d rather try to force feed us talk shows and reality TV that is pure garbage but cheap to make garbage. I think the execs at ABC and Disney (who owns ABC) are all getting bonuses based on percentage of profit and cheaper shows put more money in their pockets even as they drive viewers away. Plus, I think ABC/Disney depends too much on Nielson and that is a HUGE mistake! I’ve never met anyone with a Nielson box and most people today don’t sit home and watch TV. They record to DVR, watch on the network’s website, go to Hulu or buy from itunes – none of which is accurately captured by Nielson! BOO! Bad ABC!

37. M says:

PLEASE PLEASE!! WE WANT A SIXTH SEASON!!!!!!!!

38. David says:

I’m afraid that it would appear that the US TV companies are very fickle. Axing shows which are popular at the slightest sign of falling ratings. Instead of working at it to make the series better they go for the easy option and just cancel. Never mind about the hundreds and thousands of fans who support the shows and of course in turn support the networks! No fans, no networks. It’s that simple really. The one show which should have had a reprieve was BROTHERS and SISTERS. What were ABC thinking of? Well, they ovbiously were thinking of the bottom line. Yes, of course that’s what it’s all about, but what about the fans? I shall miss the show very much.

39. megan says:

please please please bring back brothers and sisters as i absolutely love this programme it is the best on tv please bring it back