Royal Wedding Ratings: William/Kate Outdraws Charles/Diana In the US But Not In UK

A total of 22.77 million U.S. television viewers RSVP’d for the royal wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton.

Based on Nielsen tallies from ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, E!, FOX News, MSNBC, TLC, BBC America, Telemundo and Univision, of live viewership from 6 to 7:15am EST, that number ranks the affair well ahead of the 1981 wedding of Charles and Diana, which drew an estimated 17 million viewers (across far fewer outlets).

Across the pond, however, Charles and Diana still rule. According to Deadline, nearly 27 million viewers in the UK watched Kate trade vows with William on BBC, ITV or Sky News, compared to the 28.4 million who tuned in for the royal wedding 30 years ago. Friday’s ceremony also ranked behind UK coverage of Princess Diana’s 1997 funeral.

UPDATE: As passed along by TVLine reader Kristal, Today‘s Digital Life blog estimates that 1.6 million people watched the event via the Internet, setting a record for such online viewing. It is also estimated that “hundreds of thousands” gathered in London in the Westminster Abbey vicinity the day of the ceremony.

Do the royal ratings surprise you at all? (And if you’re among those glomming onto any and all coverage of every little detail, I refer you to our sister site HollywoodLife.com, which has been doing a wicked-thorough job of detailing the newlyweds’ big day, the afterglow, and all the fashions.)

1. Marlene says:

Is anybody counting how many people watched it live online? I watched part of it on Hulu, until I finally found the strength to get out of bed and watch it on my television.

2. Nina says:

I didn’t watch it live. I was knocked out by 1am. :(

Prince William and Kate did get the a total of better ratings, though.

But you’re not counting the other countries that watched it.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Just comparing the most relevant apples-to-apples here – those in US and UK who watched (on the telly) in 2011 versus 1981 ;)

3. Brittany says:

Yeah, what about the online numbers? I watched it on GMA’s facebook page up until 7:30 and then I turned it on on the TV. I’m sure a few million people were watching it online as well.

4. hienvtm says:

I think that it is also interesting!

5. Caiti says:

Twenty Seven whole viewers?! <3

6. Jen says:

What is the total viewership worldwide? 1 billion, 2 billion?

7. Hillary says:

I’m willing to bet that Charles and Diana had more viewers in the UK because Will and Kate had more people actually show up around the abbey and palace…

8. Dave says:

“According to Deadline, nearly 27 viewers in the UK watched Kate trade vows with William on BBC, ITV or Sky News”

Wow nearly 27 people in the whole of the uk… guess there must have been a footie match on! And why was it nearly 27? Was the 27th guy switching between a couple of channels?? :-D

9. Royal Watcher says:

Wow, only 27 people in the UK watched? I knew they weren’t as excited about it as they were Charles and Di, but gee whiz….

/sarcasm. The original Deadline article said 27 million, of course. But thanks, Matt, you gave me a good giggle this morning. Gotta love typos… and a good royal wedding.

10. Laurel says:

Seems to me that the MASSIVE crowds on the streets of England might account for some of those not home watching on TV in the UK.
    Millions were literally on the streets and in parks all around England watching the whole thing on jumbo screens or in front of the palace & abby.

11. Mo says:

FYI to you Americans, but 27 Million viewers in the UK alone, would match up to around 150 Million viewers in the US.

12. Jay says:

It was interesting just how many more viewers BBC had than the other channels in the UK. But why you guys were watching in the US is beyond me. Though I suppose Kate pippa and Harry supplied good eye candy.

13. DryedMangoez says:

Well, considering it aired before the sun rose in most of the US, that’s a pretty impressive number.

Most of primetime can’t even get 1/5 of that audience! Womp womp.

14. LH says:

Worldwide viewing of the nupitals: over 2 BILLION viewers!!! Yes, 1/3 of the world’s population tuned in for the coverage in one form or another…Congrats to Will & Kate on their marriage & superb ratings!!

15. Hello there, simply changed into alert to your weblog through Google, and found that it is really informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels. I’ll appreciate in the event you proceed this in future. Many folks might be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!