Ratings: CSI: NY, Blue Bloods Top Friday

CBS was Friday’s big winner, leading the pack in both total viewers and in the coveted 18-49 demo.

The Eye network started crowning the competition at 8 o’clock with a Royal Wedding special that courted 8.6 million viewers and scored a 1.7 demo rating. CSI: NY then built on that audience (drawing 9.2 mil) and matched the demo, gaining 6 percent from its last outing.

Blue Bloods — which, like CSI: NY, is technically a bubble show — sewed up CBS’ pair of Ws by delivering the night’s largest audience (9.8 million viewers) and a 1.6 rating (up 7 percent).

Elsewhere this Friday:

* In the 8 o’clock hour, Friday Night Lights (3 million viewers/0.6 rating) plunged 33 percent in the demo, while Smallville (1.94 mil/0.8) dropped 20 percent.

* This season’s penultimate episode of Fringe (3.5 mil/1.3) rebounded from last week’s series low by gaining 8 percent in the demo. The recently renewed Supernatural held steady at 1.94 mil/0.9.

What were you watching this Friday night? Did you stay royally flushed by checking out any of the CBS, 20/20 or Dateline specials?

1. NickC says:

I hate that SuperNatural and Fringe are on at the same time.You would think one of the shows would be smart enough to move one of them an hour early.I have to think they are taking viewers from one another….Oh and the end of Fringe last night BLEW MY MIND!

• Paige says:

I’m hoping that after this season & after Smallville is done, the CW will move SPN back to Thursday nights after Vampire Diaries. *Might* be a long shot, though.

• Melody says:

I really doubt that will happen. I actually think Supernatural will probably move up and hour into Smallville’s spot and either Nikita or one of the new pilots will drop into the hour afterwards.

• Tracy says:

I hate that the 3 shows I watch are all on at the same time, same night….I have to record CSI NY and Supernatural and catch the repeat of Fringe on Saturday night. Put CSI NY on Thursday before The Mentalist!

2. Juliab. says:

Good news for CSI/NY, especially since the last episode was three weeks ago.

Peter Fonda was great as a guest star. Next weeks episode looks exciting.

• Sid says:

ITA. It was a great set up for next weeks eipsode as well, I can not wait to see it. The show has been relevantly consistant with the numbers (despite that it does not appear to get the sane kind of promotion as other CBS shows) I for one really hope that CBS keep it.

• Jayne says:

No kidding. I saw the promo for this episode 1 time :( … last night’s episode was amazing. After losing producers, writers, and Melina, as well as the time slot, the show should be considered a new show in some ways, as it had to struggle to find the balance again. I hope its renewed because the second half of this season has only been getting better and better. No telling how great it could be next season.

3. Victorious says:

I watched Fringe, and just when I thought there was no possible way that it could get any Greater it goes and gets even GREATER!!! WOW FRINGE is MIND BLOWING!!!!

• Selbs says:

Amen to that, so why is it having such a problem attracting viewers? Love this show (along with Bones) more than I can say, and it breaks my heart that it struggles so. Maybe it’s too good and too intelligent and the average Friday night viewer has a problem using his/her brain! Oh, well let’s keep our collective fingers crossed and be grateful it was renewed for at least one more season.

• JAO says:

You are so right … it is an intelligent show that demands active participation on the viewer’s part. I love FRINGE and have made so many converts here, that Netflix’s has trouble delivering Season 1 & 2 episodes to them!

• luke says:

• Cortexifan says:

Totally agree. Have seen the episode 5 times now and am still blown away. This is going to be a looong week.

4. John says:

Glad to see Smallville’s ratings continue to go down. This season has been dreadful and it doesn’t deserve to succeed. So at this rate the series finale in two weeks will get a 2.5. Fitting.

• BRETT says:

Wow. How nice of you to root for a show to fail. There are plenty of shows I don’t like, but I wouldn’t root for them to fail. I want to see you write ten seasons of a television show and see how your tenth season fares. Oh wait…

5. Dee says:

I love the stories and the cast. Just PERFECT!!

6. Wednesday says:

what’s a bubble show? :)

7. Dorothy Speer says:

I hope with all my heard that Blue Bloods is not cancelled. I think it is truly a great show. The characters are real and like a real family. They fight amongst themselves, but always come back and show their true love for one another. The relationship between each character seems genuine. Tom Selleck is a true father to each one and Len Cariou reminds me of my own grandfather. I record the shows so that I can watch them over and over. They never get old to me. Please don’t cancel this show.

8. Michael says:

Wednesday, a “bubble” show is a show that is deemed “on the bubble”. And something that is “on the bubble” is in a position where two or more possible outcomes are equally likely to happen. For example, when a TV show is considered “on the bubble”, it means it is currently facing the equal possibility of renewal or cancellation. At that point, it’s not a shoe-in for another season. Nor has it been decided that will in fact be canceled. Basically, the powers-that-be are currently undecided about the future of each “bubble” show. But their final descisions will be known later this month, when all the networks officially anounce their respective fall lineups.

9. pcfltvfan says:

Don’t cancel Blue Bloods! The only other network show worth watching these days (to me) is NCIS. Love Wahlberg–he should win the Emmy and so should this show. I have watched reruns of this and never tire of it. I have turned others on to the show…once they watch, they are hooked. A retired cop I know thinks its great–he never misses it either. Yet, the show seems almost invisible to general public. Doesnt CBS realize what a gem this is?

10. nicole says:

Friday night lights is such a great show. so sad to see it go