Great Scott! Counting Down The Office's Top 32 Most Memorable Michael Moments (Day 4)

Get More: Commentary, Lists, Video

Parting truly is such sweet sorrow, especially when the person leaving has been an integral part of your TV-lovin’ life. But the day of Michael Scott’s Office farewell is finally here, so instead of sulking around — I’m saving that for later tonight — let’s celebrate his seven seasons of hilarity with Michael’s Top 8 Greatest Moments.

Warning:This is gonna hurt like a motherf—er.” Thanks for that one, Michael.

Michael Moment #8: We’re all homos. Homo sapiens.
Episode: “Gay Witch Hunt,” Season 3
Here’s Why: After uncovering the secret of Oscar’s sexuality, Michael Scott takes it upon himself to “put an end to 100,000 years of being weirded out by gays.” The result is one of the most uncomfortable moments to ever grace our television screens. Also, it’s comedy gold.

Michael Moment #7: Who would you do?
Episode: “The Fire,” Season 2
Here’s Why: Holly Flax may be the love of Michael Scott’s life now, but Ryan Howard (not to be confused with the Philadelphia Phillies MVP) comes in a close second. From The Office‘s pilot episode, it was clear that there was something special about the temp, something that caught the Dunder Mifflin boss’ eye. Maybe it was simply his boyish good looks, or the fact that he was everything Michael always desired to be, but never was. Either way, his man-crush was never more apparent than when the building was evacuated for a fire drill, and during a meaningless game of “Who Would You Do?” Michael boasts, “I’d have sex with Ryan.” Not exactly the name of the game, but a priceless Michael moment none the less.

Michael Moment #6: Agent Michael Scarn lives!
Episode: “Threat Level Midnight,” Season 7
Here’s Why: Early in The Office‘s second season, Pam Beelsy happens upon a screenplay written by the big boss man titled, Threat Level Midnight, starring Agent Michael Scarn. It made for a fun episode to see the full ensemble together for a table read of the silly script, and Michael was none the wiser. Flash forward to Season 7 and Threat Level Midnight is a real feature film starring Dunder Mifflin’s finest. Having Michael’s movie-making dreams come to life served as both a tool for countless laughs and growth for the character, who achieved a moment of clarity about who he is and who he truly wants to be: A decent man with Holly by his side.

Michael Moment #5: “Toby Flenderson, convicted rapist.”
Episode: “Casino Night,” Season 2
Here’s Why: Choosing one perfectly hate-filled moment between Michael and Toby was close to impossible, but fortunately, there is one that sums up the regional manager’s unexplained disdain of his branch’s Human Resources rep. It’s goes a little something like this: “I hate… so much about the things that you choose to be.”

Loading video...

Michael Moment #4: The most epic “That’s what she said” of all
Episode: “Sexual Harassment,” Season 2
Here’s Why: Back in the day, Michael’s tagline was his identity. So, when Jan and Toby attempted to take “that’s what she said” away from him, his head came thisclose to exploding. Thankfully, Jim was on hand to keep the magic alive — which wasn’t hard at all. (That’s what she said?)

Loading video...

Michael Moment #3: A gem of an awards show is born
Episode: “The Dundies,” Season 2
Here’s Why: “The Dundies — how can I explain it?” I’d go with a nice office awards ceremony at the local Chili’s, Awesome Blossom (extra Awesome) front-and-center on the table, while your kooky boss does his best Bob Hope-hosting impression on a karaoke machine. Yep, that about sums it up.

Michael Moment #2: Holly and Michael get engaged
Episode: “The Proposal,” Season 7
Here’s Why: No moment in Office history has ever been so perfect. The episode as a whole showcased Michael Scott at his shameless, goofy best, but his actual proposal to Holly Flax was purely awww-inducing. And bravo to the writers for staying true to who these two really are — right down to their awkward Yoda voices.

Loading video...

Michael Moment #1: “You cooked your foot on a Foreman grill…?!”
Episode: “The Injury,” Season 2
Here’s Why: My favorite Office episode. My favorite Office moment. Michael Scott burns his foot on a Foreman grill (duh!), rendering him a (self-proclaimed) handicapped person. Crazy, yes. But his explanation for the odd limb incineration is the stuff of legend: “I like waking up to the smell of bacon — sue me. And since I don’t have a butler, I have to do it myself. So most nights before I go to bed, I will lay six strips of bacon out on my George Foreman grill. Then I go to sleep. When I wake up, I plug in the grill. I go back to sleep again. Then I wake up to the smell of crackling bacon. It is delicious, it’s good for me…Today I got up, I stepped on the grill and it clamped down on my foot — I don’t see what is so hard to believe about that.”

Loading video...

Did your favorite Michael Scott moment make the cut? Weigh in below!

Comments (84)

• Agreed. The injury is the funniest episode of the Office and it totally captures all that is Michael Gary Scott

Comment by Keith – April 28, 2011 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not a Michael Scott moment, but from the same episode “The Injury” Jim spraying Dwight with water to make sure that he was conscious is probably my favorite Office moment of all time. That episode was amazing. Steve Carell and everyone killed it. Nice choice.

Comment by Stacie – April 28, 2011 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • We’re not talking about Jim you idiot! This is a collage of Michael memories!

Comment by Kyle – April 28, 2011 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You missed the “Survivor Man” episode where he duct tapes his cut-off pant legs back to his pants when he gets cold! Funniest sight gag ever (on The Office).
    I also liked the video he made to calm himself down when he was happy Holly didn’t get engaged over Christmas…classic Michael!

Comment by Kath – April 28, 2011 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael screaming “No, God, No” at Toby’s return is the ultimate definition of unexpected hilarity.

Comment by Tucker – April 28, 2011 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! That was just as good as “I hate so much about the things you choose to be”

Comment by Kristen – April 28, 2011 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “…if I had a gun, with two bullets, and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and Toby, I would shoot Toby twice.”

Comment by Chris – April 28, 2011 09:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had never seen video for his proposal to Holly. It almost made me cry.

Comment by BJ – April 28, 2011 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I did cry. When I saw it the first time around … and just now again!

Comment by danadane – April 29, 2011 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the list but my favorite moment would be from the Frame Toby episode when Michael tries to get Toby arrested for having pot

Comment by Courtney – April 28, 2011 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Michael “declaring” bankruptcy in season 4′s money? To this day, that scene makes me laugh so hard I can’t breathe!

Comment by Pamalamadingdong – April 28, 2011 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! I never laughed so hard at three words!

Comment by Chris – April 28, 2011 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the Faces of Scranton video where there’s a pause at the end and then out comes “Great Scott!” One of the best moments. Another favorite is when he listens to a 30 second clip of “Goodbye My Lover” over and over again after Carol breaks up with him.

Comment by Krista – April 28, 2011 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The “Goodbye My Lover” scene: I am laughing out loud just thinking about it.

Comment by Emily – April 28, 2011 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO GOD NOOOOOOOOO should have been number one.

Comment by sarah – April 28, 2011 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! “The Injury” is my favorite episode and definitely has my favorite Michael moments!! But agree with the other commenters’ moments too!! Too many to choose from, so many great ones :)

Comment by Stefani – April 28, 2011 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastic list. Kinda hard to argue with the Foreman grill. I will say that one of my favorite Michael moments came in the Booze Cruise episode which you cited earlier. It was when he tells Jim to continue his chasing of Pam right after she set her wedding date with Roy in front of everyone. The whole scene pretty much sold me on the show and the character.

Enjoyed reading this!

Comment by Jonathan – April 28, 2011 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jim do you think we will be like that
      Why did you bring me here
      I don’t let’s break up

Comment by will rovics – April 28, 2011 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My favorite “that’s what she said” moment is the one when Michael returns from his failed “Survivorman” moment. In holding down the office, Jim angered everyone by attempting to consolidate birthdays into one monthly party. So, the two of them commiserate. When Michael drops the line, Jim asks, “What does that mean?” Michael actually admits, “I don’t know!” Pause. “I just say it when things get awkward and hard.” And Jim replies….yep, you guessed it!

Comment by Susie Q – April 28, 2011 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about “Lazy Scranton”? That was so funny.
    Or when he goes to the Indian soiree and him and his date have on costumes?

Comment by Hannah – April 28, 2011 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Joseph Garcia – April 28, 2011 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • how was, “if i had a gun, with two bullets, and i was in a room with hitler, bin laden, and toby, i would shoot toby twice” not number 1

Comment by Joseph Garcia – April 28, 2011 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because that would be a “Dwight moment”

Comment by raggi vald – February 4, 2013 06:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the booze cruz !! N when roY tries to be up jiM…but my favorite is pam n jims wedding..this show is theeee bEsT..

Comment by sandra angulo – April 28, 2011 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too many to choose from but the rabies awareness 5K has to be one of my favorites!!

Comment by Melissa – April 28, 2011 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Moat awkward episode is the dinner party! Jan and Micheal were hosting and it starts bad and just gets more painful by the minute!

Comment by Sue – April 28, 2011 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Look at Jim. See he’s laughing.”

Jim’s just staring into space. LOL

Comment by Chloe – April 28, 2011 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree! I cringed and squirmed through that whole episode. Loved it!

Comment by Chris – April 28, 2011 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved his diversity training session in the first season, where he does a Chris Rock imitation. That was when I fell in love with the show. But I think my real favorite episode was the tribute to “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Wolf,” where Jan is dancing to Hunter’s tape (she was obviously the subject of the song, or at least thought she was). And I loved the scene where Jim says he thinks Holly likes Michael because she’s a dork, then it flashes to the scene of them both doing a rap bit. I question her judgement so many times, but she is obviously the best thing to ever happen to Michael, and it was so easy to root for the both of them. I will definitely miss him. The best thing about the show is the way it blends offputting, awkward humor with warm and sweet moments.

Comment by ckline – April 28, 2011 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PARKOUR!!

Comment by Lexi – April 28, 2011 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My favorite moment would have to be when Michael said “If I were in a room with Hitler, Usama bin Laden, and Toby, and I only had a gun with 2 bullets…I would shoot Toby twice.” It’s a classic line showing Michael’s hatred for Toby!

Comment by Julia – April 28, 2011 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My favorite line is “Ben Franklin is kind of a creep”. Second place has got to the Fun Run.

Comment by Mendi – April 28, 2011 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The name of the episode which has the proposal is called “Garage Sale”. Not “The Proposal”.

But, your top two are my top 2. I love both of those so much.

Comment by Mindy – April 28, 2011 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love the one where he gives toby a gift of a rock that said “suck it” not expecting toby to have to open it with pam and jan in the room

Comment by anna – April 28, 2011 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I also LOVE the “That’s what she said!” in the episode “Sexual Harrassment”. I saw BJ Novack said that was his favorite Michael Scott moment.

Comment by Mindy – April 28, 2011 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what about
    “you cheated on me? when i specifically asked you not to?”

Comment by gare – April 28, 2011 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe nobody has mentioned Scott’s Tots! Classic! Hey, Mr. Scott! Whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do to make our dreams come true?

Comment by Adrianne – April 28, 2011 05:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love when he and Dwight drive into the lake (because the GPS told him to.) Then they get mad and go back to get their gift baskets. And he yells “WHERE ARE THE TURTLES!!!??????” LOL. Love that episode.

Comment by Chloe – April 28, 2011 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Scotts tots was the ultimate showcase of his stupidity, laptops batteries! Also survivor man where he cut h is pants

Comment by derek – April 28, 2011 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of my favorite Michael moments is when he’s using GPS and drives his car into a lake:)

Comment by Tara – April 28, 2011 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • …I found the time that Michael and Dwight drove into the lake (into 2 feet of water) and bailed out particularly enchanting.

Comment by john l – April 28, 2011 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My favorite episode is definitely the coup season 3! Some of the funniest stuff and all from one episode! Crentist the dentist, trying to push Michael out, call of duty, hug it out bitch!
    Such a simple episode packed with laughs!

Comment by Krista – April 28, 2011 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Why are you the way that you are?” LOL, so hard to pick just one “Michael hates Toby” moment. But, this one is great.

Comment by Mindy – April 28, 2011 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe the Diversity episode didn’t make your list. Hands down my favorite episode ever..

Comment by Amy – April 28, 2011 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Bros before hoes.” Why? Because your bros are always there for you. They have got your back after your ho rips yours heart out for no good reason. And you are nothing but great to your ho, and you told her that she was the only ho for you, and that she was better than all the other hoes in the world… and then… and then suddenly she’s not yo’ ho’ no mo’.

Comment by Joshua Barkdull – April 28, 2011 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THAT is in my top 5 EVER! absolute genius! You’ll be missed Michael Scott…

Comment by Harmskey – April 28, 2011 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of THE FUNNIEST was when his nephew was working as some kind of an intern and he was a total mess up and Michael put him over the desk and spanked him! I couldn’t catch my breath I was laughing so hard!

Comment by Jill – April 28, 2011 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sooo many great Michael moments. How could you narrow it down? What about when he gets back with Jan: “Pam’s advice was good, but Jan’s were bigger.” Or, no!, the one where he tries to amp up the safety training by faking his suicide. Dwight: “Depression? Isn’t that just a fancy word for being bummed out?” Michael: “Dwight, you ignorant slut!”

Comment by Jen – April 28, 2011 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In the deposition episode – in the cafeteria when Toby tries to relate to Michael’s hurt feelings by talking about his parents divorce and Michael pushes Toby’s tray onto the floor. Bets Michael & Toby moment ever.

Comment by ScullyP – April 28, 2011 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Best” ever. I hate myself.

Comment by ScullyP – April 28, 2011 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My favorite “Office/Michael” moment was when Michael, during Racial Sensitivity training, interrupted Kevin, who “wasn’t doing it right” and imitated Chris Rock, talking about the difference between Black people and “N-Words”.

Comment by Hatch – April 28, 2011 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe that these two haven’t been mentioned:”I’m not superstitious. I’m just a little stitious.” AND “Abraham Lincoln said, If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North.”

Comment by Adriana – April 28, 2011 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “She was my whoe no mo” line when Michael is boasting about “bros before whoes”, but then laments about losing his lover.

Comment by Laura – April 28, 2011 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The episode that Michael kissed Oscar was one of the most awkward full episodes ever!! Loved it!

Comment by JasonP – April 28, 2011 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If i had a gun with 2 bullets withe bin laden hitler and toby in the room id shoot toby twice Classic!!!

Comment by James lee – April 28, 2011 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of his funniest moments is when he asks Kelly if she would like a cookie… Would you like a cookie cookie? Then she slaps him. Hilarious!!!

Comment by Dpete – April 28, 2011 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Prison Mike!!!! Best Michael Scott moment ever!!!! The dementors….

Comment by Amy – April 28, 2011 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of my favorite Michael moments was after the roast when he comes back at everyone “Stanley you crush your wife during sex and your heart sucks”… Clasic.

Comment by John P. – April 28, 2011 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the episode with Scott’s Totts. They sing him the song and everything HAHAHAHA, and then he offers the kids laptop batteries haha.

Comment by Michael Sisler – April 28, 2011 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My personal favorite is when he asked Ryan “What’s worse than talking to one hr rep ?” Ryan answers “Talking to 2 hr reps” Michael says “You get me.” So do I Michael. So do I.

Comment by Barb – April 28, 2011 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yo. This is prison Mike.
    Do you really expect us to believe you’re a different person.
    Do you really expect me to not shove you up against a wall biotch?
    Sorry…that’s just the way we talk in the can.

Comment by Jennifer – April 28, 2011 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ummm, when Micheal spanked his nephew? That definitely should have been there.

Comment by Christin.ann – April 28, 2011 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • #1 Bang on – the proposal.
    #2 I say it is when Michael yelled “bankruptcy” to declare he was bankrupt. I still lol at that.
    #3 Diversity Day. When Michael makes the staffers attempt to guess what culture they are representing by the papers on their foreheads. Later on, Kelly, without a clue enters and Michael goes on and on in an E. Indian voice and she slaps him. The whole show was hilarious.

Comment by dawner – April 28, 2011 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post