Ratings: Happy Endings Up, Voice Encores Well

ABC’s Happy Endings had something to smile wide about this Wednesday. Drawing 5.22 million total viewers and a 2.1 demo rating, the freshman comedy enjoyed a more than 30 percent gain from last week’s 10 o’clock outing.

Among ABC’s other fresh comedy fare for the night, Better With You (4.82 mil/1.5) dipped a smidgen week-to-week, while Cougar Town (5.6 mil/2.1), coming off a Modern Family repeat, was down 12 percent.

Elswehere this Wednesday:

* American Idol held rock-steady versus last week’s preformance show, delivering 21.7 million viewers and a 6.9 rating. Survivor (10.9 mil/3.0) also was flat.

* NBC’s Royal Wedding special, with 5.2 million viewers and a 1.2 demo rating, gave NBC its (faint praise alert!) best Wednesdays-at-8 audience in 12 weeks. Similarly, the encore of the two-hour Voice premiere (6 mil/2.2) gave NBC its best average demo rating for the 9 to 11 pm stretch in 11 weeks.

* Like ABC’s Happy Endings, Fox’s Breaking In is looking like a comedy keeper, scoring slight gains in audience (to 7.6 mil) and in the demo (2.6).

1. Chmarin says:

SO glad Happy Endings managed to rebound from last week! This just made my day. :)

2. Matt says:

Glad to see Breaking In is doing well!Love that show!Freaking Hilarious!

3. t.t says:

sad better with you didn’t keep any of its audience from the dwts ep
    glad about happy endings and breaking in
    two great comedies

4. bmospr04 says:

glad to see funny shows that are doing well and could be sticking around

5. Chmarin says:

Forgot to mention this – I don’t really understand why you believe Breaking In is a keeper, Matt. FOX needs to air at least one episode after Raising Hope, where the show won’t have Idol as a lead-in. If you look at the numbers the show is pulling, yeah, they scream: renewal, but the retention out of Idol is pretty horrific.
    I bet the show would drop below 1.5 in A18-49 in the Tue@9.30 slot.

• Matt Webb Mitovich, Editor-at-Large TVLine.com says:

I’m one of those annoying glass-half-full people you occasionally find on the Internet. If you want cold, hard facts, the fine fellows at TVByTheNumbers cannot be surpassed in their analysis.

• Chmarin says:

Oh, I’m very familiar with those guys. :D Sometimes they annoy the heck out of me because they believe they’re always right and other people’s opinion is BS.

But still, optimistic or pessimistic, it’s going to be very interesting to see if FOX will break the Christian Slater curse. :D

• Midori says:

TVbytheNumbers has been wrong a TON of times.

Raising hope is most likely going to be moved to after The X-Factor on Wednesdays, and then the result show might only be 30 minutes and have another comedy after it on 8:30.

*All times Eastern.

6. Ana says:

I really like Happy Endings!!! Sooo… this made my day :D

7. Spyder23 says:

I guess Damon Wayans draw people to Happy Endigs , i hope it keeps up .

8. AlistairCrane says:

Annoyed with the MF repeat but I just left it on as I waited for Cougar Town. CT FTW!!!!

9. Midori says:

I’m still trying to figure out why ABC had…

as a schedule. Are they smoking something and not sharing?

10. daveedt says:

Next thing you know, ALL THE WAYANS will be on the show…all 30 of them…..which wouldn’t be totally, a bad thing, though…now that i think about it !!

11. Aidan says:

Soooo beyond extatic that Happy Endings is up in the ratings! That show is bloody brilliant!

12. Turtle says:

I’ve been mixed on Breaking In, but last night’s episode was very funny. It seems they’re finding their footing with the characters and their various missions. Even though I’m a big Smallville fan, it’s still kind of shocking to see Michael Rosenbaum doing so well on another show. I knew he had a comedy background, but it’s amazing how much he stands out as Dutch. Glad to hear the ratings are holding strong.

13. fernando says:

Whoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love Happy Endings! Best funny show in forever, ABC please keep this show!