The Voice Premiere Recap: I'm Already Addicted. Does That Make Me Crazy?

Let’s be real for a second: We needed NBC’s The Voice in our lives about as much as Christina Aguilera’s hair (wig?) needed another peroxide treatment. I mean, Tuesdays are supposed to be reserved for Dancing With the Stars results, Glee, The Good Wife, and (when possible) catching up on back episodes of 90210 or The Killing.

But the DVR is a harsh mistress. And the series premiere of The Voice was pretty terrific. Which means we’ll all just have to dig down deep in our couch cushions and find two more hours to sacrifice on the altar of appointment television. (Who needs sleep, anyway?) As the pool-racing scene of Mommie Dearest taught us, “Nobody ever said life was fair.”

Of course, we can’t talk about The Voice without at least drawing a few comparisons to American Idol, the ratings behemoth that has sat atop the competitive reality food chain for the last 10 years. It would be a little ridiculous to declare either show superior based on a mere two-hour airing of The Voice, but at the very least, NBC’s neophyte series makes good on the desire expressed by so many long-time Idol viewers to see audition rounds limited to people with actual talent — no deluded train-wrecks, “jokesters,” or emotionally damaged punching bags allowed. I can say without hesitation that I didn’t miss the sight of costume-sporting imbeciles seeking their 15 seconds of fame or (even worse) sobbing kids who’d had their dreams pumped up by a few rounds of producer auditions only to be gutted by barely concealed snickering from Randy Jackson.

The challenge I found with The Voice‘s opening installment, though, was wading through 15 auditions and trying to force my ears to pick up on the nuances between truly magical performances and ones that were merely solid — without a single nails-in-a-blender disaster to use as a point of comparison. If the playful, already invested judging panel — Cee-Lo Green, Blake Shelton, Christina Aguilera, and especially Maroon 5 frontman Adam Levine — winds up with a total of 12 really good vocalists, that’s going to lead to one painful cut after the next as the series continues, without the kinds of “well, she was only cannon fodder” eliminations Idol fans have grown to expect via contestants like Ashthon Jones and Karen Rodriguez.

The Voice‘s central conceit — that its judges must turn their backs to auditioners, and decide based on singing ability alone whether to press a button and throw their hat in the ring as a potential mentor to said singer — may be the truest way to find the next great radio sensation. (It was clear most of the judges would’ve buzzed in for gorgeous Sonia Rao if they’d had a visual to match her decent but not particularly distinctive vocals.)

In the interest of not getting too attached too soon to any one singer — mentors will have to narrow their personal pool of eight students down to four in the not-too-distant future — let’s rank each of the judges’ three picks from last night in a Twitter-esque 140 characters or less:

Adam Levine’s Roster
1) Jeff Jenkins: Story of late mom moved this mama’s boy, but not as much as his astounding cover of usually blah “Bless the Broken Road.” #ICriedALittle

2) Rebecca Loebe: Best thing to happen to Toyota Camry in vehicle’s history. Her “Come As You Are” was ethereal & pitch-perfect. Heading to iTunes to buy now.

3) Javier Colon: With any other coach, he’d be #1. His “True Colors” “Time After Time” ranged from tender to intense, though he might want to dial back on vocal acrobatics?

Christina Aguilera’s Roster
1) Frenchie Davis: Nervous start to “I Kissed a Girl,” but shades of roaring LaBelle bubbled up as former Idol hit a groove. Plus, she’s Rated G…for Gawgeous!

2) Tarralyn Ramsey: Snappy dresser’s ‘Breathe’ was a little wobbly to start — and not quite a match for Mandisa’s Faith Hill cover on Idol‘s fifth season.

3) Beverly McClellan: Second of Xtina’s bald divas offered a raw Janis Joplin cover, but her sort-of operatic choices threw me a little. Personality > vocals?

Cee-Lo’s Roster
1)Tje Austin: Easy to imagine his “Just the Way You Are” on radio, but at certain moments he pushed voice to the edge of unpleasant. Very likable persona.

2) Kelsey Rey: “I have always been judged because of my looks” sounds absurd from a pretty girl’s mouth. Nice conversational flow on “American Boy” though.

3) Vicci Martinez: Added rock edge to “Rolling in the Deep,” but seemed to have trouble supporting her notes. Or maybe that’s my Haley Reinhart fandom showing?

Blake Shelton’s Roster
1) Xenia: Whoa. A talented TV teen who’s not obnoxiously precocious? “Break Even” was hauntingly pretty, but she’ll need coaching to amp up the drama.

2) Patrick Thomas: Nice phrasing in his Tim McGraw cover, but “I could never work a day job” comment played poorly. Xtina wanted him to remove hat, then pants!

3) Elenowen: Gorgeous married duo may have been slightly more pleasing to the eye than the ear, but “Falling Slowly” shows they have good musical taste.

What did you think of The Voice’s premiere? Which contestants were your favorites? Did you enjoy the judges as much as me? How cool is Adam Levine, and how good is his taste in singers? Was Xtina’s “may the best woman win” comment a subtle nod to RuPaul’s Drag Race and her gay fans? And do you have room in your heart for both The Voice and Idol? Sound off below, and for all my reality TV recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

1. Kathi says:

Missed a couple of early favorites in last post – Rebecca Loebe and Javier Colon.

2. jef says:

Adam’s roster is by far the best at this point! AI should be worried.

3. Bantha Poodoo says:

Best unintentionally funny line of the night: When the bald lesbian picked Xtina by saying she was gonna “do Christina.” Heh, you wish.

4. darcy's evil twin says:

I’m kind of surprised more people don’t know Blake Shelton, but then my husband is a country fan. Blake Shelton is engaged to country superstar Miranda Lambert, I believe. Shelton is talented and he’s the real deal. He joins fellow Okie superstars Reba McEntire, Vince Gill, Carrie Underwood, Merle Haggard, Toby Keith, and Garth Brooks on country radio. Songwriters Hoyt Axton and Jimmy Webb were also Okies (and we’ll forgive Webb for that stinker “McArthur Park”).

• seattlejohn says:

Blake was a judge for awhile on the country-based AI-esque Nashville Star and his now wife Miranda Lambert was a contestant on the 1st season…she didn’t win but it was her calling card to Nashville and now both Blake and Miranda are country superstar royalty

regarding the topic of some of these singers having professional backgrounds: read Javier Colon has 3 albums out and Vicci Martinez has a solid reputation in Seattle and if this show sacrifices discovering only unknown nonprofessional newbies and instead introduces us to certifiable talent who can continue after the Voice on their own steam and hard work I’m all for it

• CandaceTX says:

The best part about shows like this + the advent of youtube: is that they are exposing us all to talents that we would all otherwise be unaware of. Talent that is not being manufactured, dressed up, auto-tuned and shoved down our throats…I’m talking to you Katy Perry and Kesha… (um, I REFUSE to acknowledge that stoopid dollar sign in her name).

The fact that TheVoice is pre-screening the talent and that these are possibly seasoned performers is making that even better.

• tvlover44 says:

wait, darcy’s e.t., you don’t mean the song ‘macarthur park’ that donna summer made famous, do you? because i freakin’ love that song! (and saw donna summer sing it live about a decade ago, and it was still brilliant in its strange yet infectious quality!)

5. Becky says:

The voice! What a breath of fresh air!!! unlike Idol that is growing stagnant!!! I enjoyed how the coaches had their backs to the singers,and how they had to push a button if they liked what they were hearing!! Bravo!~! Can’t wait to see what next week brings!! I thought the guy that covered Tim’s song and the guy who covered Rascal Flatts song was very good along with the guy who played the guitar..Javiar.. The girls didn’t stand out to me..

6. sabine says:

I loved the Voice, and not only (but mostly) because I know the original Dutch series! I really like that people are selected because they have an amazing voice instead of their looks (+mediocre singing abilities!). I’m sorry for this small show of patriotic feelings for the Netherlands:)

• darcy's evil twin says:

Someone posted a link to the program from The Netherlands. I was instantly impressed with those chairs!

7. Dani says:

Can someone explain to me why people are so surprised by lesser attractive singers? I’m pretty amazed by Jenkins but like when Susan Boyle came out they are soo surprised when they sing well! LOVE the show!!

8. Marsha says:

As an avid AI viewer, I have to admit I loved this show. I don’t need to watch endless hours of train wrecks like the AI auditions- where they selectively show only a few of the best and many of the worst. This show supports my view that there are a lot of really awesome singers in America… an opinion that makes me wonder why AI finds it so difficult to find a couple of dozen singers that are truly idol-worthy. Please…MS… how about a Voicealoonie too….????

• asherlev1 says:

SECOND SECOND SECOND. OH GOD. PLEASEEEEE.

Shall we start a petition?

• Mars says:

yes, michael! if future episodes go as well as this first one, please start covering it!!!!!!!!!! I’m still upset by the fact The Voice is competing with Glee on tuesday nights, but seriously, i might even give up Glee for this!!!

Woah, can’t believe that came out of someone who runs the other way when it comes to reality TV (I’ve only seen maybe a season of idol).

9. DQ says:

Michael–I am a die-hard Idol fan and watch it religiously. However, The Voice had me from the opening performance of the Grammy award-winning coaches. They all know what they are talking about and they get to work with people who can actually sing. Love this show and feel like a traitor by saying I think I love it more than Idol right now. So glad we didn’t have to wade through the truly awful wannabes in costume.

10. Z says:

#Voicealoonies?

11. I’ve never been a big fan of reality shows or competitions, but I am a big fan of the underdog. NBC, in recent years, has had some of the best scripted comedies on broadcast television (In regards to quality, the only competition to their Thursday “Comedy night done right” is ABC’s Wednesday line-up). If “The Voice” can hold on to these ratings, or build upon them, then NBC can plan to utilize it as a lead-in for the 2011-2012 season.

12. Amy says:

Agree with the whole review, except the love for Adam Levine. Guy’s a total douche.

13. Lou says:

According to my TIVO “The Voice” repeats tonight on NBC and twice this weekend on EHD. Hope so, don’t want to devote more week nights to programs.

14. idolfan says:

adam has the strongest team by far…so far

very interesting concept…am looking forward to seeing how they will handle the battle competition

how will they cram 20 yeses into the show next week…when only 12 were chosen this week…editing to come or less background info forthcoming

why is carson daly on the show?

• CandaceTX says:

Carson is AWESOME. Unlike that snarky, self-absorbed, too-tanned, tooth-capped, Kardashian-lovin, D-rate Dick Clark wannabe, Ryan Seacrest.

Seacrest, out!
      Daley definitely in.

• Volcfom says:

They spent a lot of time on the first episode explaining the rules and talking about the mentors. If they don’t repeat all of that, then they’ll have time for the rest of the contestants.

15. Karrie says:

I loved ‘The Voice’! I wouldn’t have picked a few of them, Jeff and Frenchie in particular. With that being said, it was so much better than Idol and showed me what I don’t like about Idol and they may be in trouble if their faults aren’t fixed next season! I’m already invested in James and Haley so I can’t abandon it this year but next season, I will have to see. I especially liked that ‘The Voice’ didn’t discriminate as obviously Idol does!

16. RP says:

Love this. Way better then Idol and its bloated histrionics any day.

17. Peggy says:

I loved The Voice. Idol has been dead to me for years so it’s nice to have a singing show that I actually enjoy watching. Loved all of the judges, especially Adam and Blake. The chemistry among the judges is great. I don’t find any of them obnoxious…yet. After being so turned off by Idol, I didn’t expect to like The Voice so I was pleasantly surprised. I missed the first 30 minutes so I’m looking forward to the replay.

18. HM says:

I was looking forward to the Voice for awhile. I have not watched AI since season 1 or 2 because nothing changed. I am from Canada and was very involved in CI because it was fresh with real comments and talent. Anyways… I was very impressed with the judges, even Christina. I too thought she was button happy but loved how she would take notes as she listened, and the enthusiam of all the judges. You can see how it would make it easier to pick whose team you were on. Javier must have seen how excited Adam was about him!

19. JohnDoe says:

Isn’t this just a ripoff of X Factor?

20. My My says:

Adam Levine is sooooo hot. Holy moly. New television boyfriend, check and CHECK!

• CandaceTX says:

I knew very little of Blake Shelton, I am not really a Country fan. But, hotdang… Blake is HOTT. Miranda, I just wanna shake your hand, girlfriend.

21. Bob says:

It was an OK show. I’m not sold on it yet but I’ll watch it next week. Recording it and fast forwarding through it later elminated a lot of the filler and let me watch the show in under 45 minutes.

I’m already rooting for Rebecca Loebe. Her voice was amazing. Idol, which I love, is down to the final six and I still haven’t figured out who I want to win because I don’t really care who wins. Nobody this season has done as well as Rebecca did last night. Rebecca was the biggest find of the night but I think she should have gone with Christina.

• Mars says:

I agree! I love Rebecca already! And she’s from Atlanta! Woot! I watched Idol from the very beginning this season (not an idol fan, watched season 1 and part of 2, but then decided to pick it up again after falling in love with s8 and kradison), and it was TORTURE going through the bad auditions and the drama of entitled kids during hollywood weeks.

Even worse, some of the singers I really loved were eliminated or voted off, so now I pretty much don’t care who wins. It’ll be nice to see Haley win but I probably won’t buy any of their albums.

The Voice is my new singing competition!!!

22. ImStillToni says:

Can I just add I really enjoyed the show & I’m now officially on the Blake Shelton bandwagon? #whoknew

23. LT says:

I did not expect to like The Voice but it was fantastic! The first thing I thought of was: Did Michael Slezak like it?? What did he think? So I was thrilled to see your recap and I’m so happy you are going to be covering it!
    Idol is going to seem very, very bland tonight.

24. Davey says:

This show is a lot of fun and the singers are good. Looking forward to the coaching and the music that is performed. These judges are so much more interesting than the Idol judges and they speak in long sentences.

25. Dolf G. from the Netherlands says:

Yes! I love The Voice but that’s because I’m from The Netherlands. :) I wrote a few months ago here on tvline that The Voice is the show to watch and AI is the one to leave.
    I personally think that after Pia got booted AI shot itself in the leg.
    The jury is ridiculous, the outcomes are ridiculous, it’s all overproduced.
    The Voice is a breath of fresh air.
    And for me personally (working in the Dutch tv business) it was exciting to see at my work last week that they finalized the graphics for the US Voice.

• CandaceTX says:

Everyone whining about Pia is becoming annoying. Lest we all forget…she wasn’t good enough to make it past auditions in 4 previous singers.

Pia=yawn.

26. Robin Lemke says:

This show is fabulous – such a relief after the train wreck of idol this season. Yes, there is room for both! And for the record, I’d pick Adam Levine every single time…

27. L says:

Happy to have something else to watch now because Idol is unwatchable at this point. Loved Javier, loved the coaches singing together and am looking forward to seeing it again next week.

28. Doug says:

My new favorite show. I blog every episode of Idol and offer entertainment odds, and I’ll finish this season out. But my heart isn’t in it, especially since “The Voice” already seems like a better show. I disagree with Michael about Adam’s team, though — Javier will be the favorite there. But Adam’s team does seem like the strongest, and I love Rebecca’s “Come As You Are” more every time I hear it!

29. DotDotDot says:

Really liked it! The set is a little to “game show” for me, but that’s my only complaint. I find myself fast forwarding through Idol, or wandering into the other room a lot without caring to pause the show. Somehow The Voice has managed to find better talent and better judges in its first week than Idol ever has.

• DotDotDot says:

And I forgot to mention, I don’t listen to country so had never heard of him before, but that Blake Shelton is reeeeeeeaaaaaaaaly super cute.

30. Susan says:

I’ve seen Vicci Martinez perform live a couple of times now and I must say (in my opinion), her performance on “The Voice” was good….not her best work though. However, I’ve heard her belt some powerful tunes with her beautiful set of pipes and I look forward to seeing how far she can go in this competition. I know this girl can (and should) be very successful in her singing career!

31. ZoniDuck says:

I agree with your rankings and assessments, with the exception of Javier Colon. I thought his performance was near perfect, and had just the right amount of vocal acrobatics, and I’m someone who doesn’t like a lot of that kind of embellishment. I’d actually rank him at #1 on Adam’s team so far.

I was thrilled to see Frenchie Davis, who I’ve always thought was treated abominably by AI. I hope she does well in this competition. The boo-hooing from pretty girl Kelsey set my teeth on edge, but I did think her performance was good. I am intrigued by Xenia, and can’t wait to see what Blake does with her. I thought Elenowen were completely overrated, and frankly I can’t believe any of the judges turned around. I just don’t think they have the chops, and I predict an early ouster for them.

Glad you’re covering this show! I can’t wait for more!

• Christine says:

I couldn’t agree more about Elenowen. I could not believe that TWO judges turned around for them. I think it was more out of curiosity than anything else. I thought they were average singers at best.
      As for Fenchie, I think she’s very talented, but I just don’t think that song was right for her. It didn’t show case her talent the way another song could have. I look forward to seeing what she does in the coming weeks.

• Selena says:

Get rid of the husband. Her voice is good

• CandaceTX says:

When she becomes a big star and leaves him, I wonder if her parents will still let him stay in their basement?

• perfesser says:

Yes! I thought Javier was perfect. And respect and almost always agree with Mr. Slezak (hmm, I guess I don’t–he’s been colosally wrong on the bellowing Allison Irehueta and the clumsy Haley Reihhart), but don’t know how he could have been so wrong about Javier. I immediately downloaded “Time After Time.” Perfection!

32. Christina says:

I’ve been looking forward to this, and definitely wasn’t disappointed. I’ll be watching this through.

33. Diane says:

Just watched the Voice and I did’nt want to like it, but I am hooked. AI has lost me except for my weekly Idoloonies update. Already have several favorites, wonder how many of these people were passed up by Idol.

34. LIsa says:

Love it! I hope it’s the next big thing. Loved that people are singers and they come out there and do their best without being voted on anything but their voice. Love the interaction between the judges. I thought all the judges had chemistry with each other and thought Blake held his own. Will be watching again next week for sure!

35. davey says:

I liked this show a lot. I’m looking forward to watching more.

But I thought that duo butchered Falling Slowly, which now should only be sung by the original songwriters or maybe Kris Allen.

I really liked the guy who sang Time After Time.

NIce to see Frenchy but her vocal was boring.

• CandaceTX says:

I agreed with everything you said. I hope Frenchie steps up her game…we all KNOW she’s got it.

I liked (not loved) the couple, but the male half is the weaker of the two. You are correct that that song should be totally retired.

The guy that (OVER)sang Time After Time needs to lay off the vocal gymnastics — it would actually distract less from his lovely tone.

36. Aiden says:

So far, so good with The Voice. I thought it was going to be a confusing and unnecessary concept, but it turned out to be so fun. The panel of “coaches” especially stood out during the 2-hour premiere. I don’t think I’ll tire of their cool chemistry and apparent investment to the music and singers for a while. It doesn’t take itself too seriously, and I appreciate that. It’s got great potential.

37. PFitz says:

Ahhh, Michael, I was SO hoping you would like this show! I really enjoyed it on every level. The talent was overall way above par and I really enjoyed the interplay between the judges. (Get Blake and Adam their own show, stat!)

And I’d just discovered the iTunes tracks before reading your recap–sooooooo happy I can listen to Rebecca’s “Come As You Are” over…and over….and over…. She MUST make Adam’s first cut!

Overall agree. My faves were Rebecca, Xenia, Javier and Jeff…in that order.

So happy to have a replacement for what has shaped up to be a sorry, sorry season of Idol!

38. Erin says:

As soon as finished watching the show (bless the dual DVR), headed straight to tvline in hope that the web’s best recapper/columnist/pop culture guru would also be watching and commenting. Leading to a possibly over-exuberant “yea! Slezak’s watching too!” comment to my husband. Who of course then read over my shoulder.

High hopes for The Voice to bring some life back to us disillusioned Idol folk. And those of us who still longingly remember mark burnett’s first reality singing show Rockstar:INXS.

39. SELENA says:

I really enjoyed the show. I taped it, so I didn’t watch any of the back stories. I just listened to their voices. I thought it was an interesting concept. ANd the judges are great. I really think the banter with Adam and Christina is funny. Do they hate each other or like each other? Hmm. And I am glad people are seeing Blake for the first time. I have liked for years now. I think he is hilarious and is a great singer. I think this is just going to propel his career farther. I do think Adam has the best team, but we have to see what next week does.

40. Elena says:

No, you are most definitely NOT crazy because my husband and I loved it as well. We loved the chemistry among the panel of judges and their humor (what a concept). Several of the contestants were just exceptional (Rebecca and Javier spring immediately to mind). Overall, I like Adam’s team best. Can’t wait until next week.

• B.Rich says:

Rebecca is incredible, I just youtubed her and wow she has it.

“Come as You Are” would have been an Idol Moment.

41. betsy says:

this wasn’t really a recap – it was the thing you do right after the show and then we get a recap the next day. I came back today to find the actual recap…..no luck. Really, is this it?

42. MP says:

I have never watched an episode of American Idol in it’s entirety, but I LOVED The Voice. Can’t wait for next week.

43. notmzbehavin says:

An odd thing is happening–I’m liking this show more in retrospect than I did while watching it. I actually turned the channel before the program was over, yet after last nights’ Idol, I’m oddly tweaking to watch TV next Tuesday.

TV is a show I honestly didn’t want to watch. I haven’t had a lot of exposure to Xteena, and don’t particularly like her personae on the screen, but I am slowly falling in like with the other mentors.

I’m thinking that once X Factor airs, between TV and XF, I won’t be watching Idol at all, due in part by the utter failure of AI’s live-round judging.

44. gablegirl says:

Loved The Voice! What a refreshing NEW concept.

I did feel bad for the singers who did not get selected by any of the judges. Guess every reality show has to have be brutal in some way.

Wish we knew more about how the original auditions were held and who selected the contestants. And what does the winner get?

45. sandi says:

Loved the talent they had but don’t really understand the format. How is it only about the voice if the audience is picking and we get to see the contestants? Also, the judges only blindly picked them the first time. Now that they can see them, how can it truely be about only the voice?

For this concept to be real, the contestant’s appearance would not be hidden from the judges and the audience for the entire run. Obviously that didn’t happen so how is it just about the voice from here on it?

That being said, I absolutely agree that most of them were excellent and I don’t, for a second, miss the bad auditions of Idol. I always ff’d them anyway. Why would anyone want to here bad singing? Or see some attention starved 20something in a chicken suit? Or the worst yet – watch someone who genuinely believes s/he has a chance publicly crushed and humiliated by get laughed at on national tv?

If I want to here someone make a fool out of themselves singing badly, I’ll get a microphone and video camera. No thanks.

• Irishize says:

Well, we all know its not REALLY only the voice…but I did try not watching until I heard them, but I’m so weak, I just had to peek, hahaaa and the one time they hid the guy from us (retro afro man)I have to admit I was really shocked at what he looked like, not what I had pictured, he was much older and WTH was up with that fro???

• Sandi says:

Sorry, i meant WOULD BE hidden for the entire run not WOULD NOT BE hidden.

46. Irishize says:

Well, I was prepared not to like it, but actually it was fairly entertaining. While I think the chair turn around is kinda hokey, I also see the point of it. The only thing is, it’s kinda comical when they turn around and see something they weren’t quite expecting,esp if they’re the only turn around, then they are stuck with the person even if they find them unattractive. I think I saw a bit of this on the first show.
    And lets be brutally honest, there can be only so much Susan Boyle stuff to go around…it may be cute that she is a rather ugly duckling with a lovely voice, but seriously, just how much of that do we really need?? And will the voice alone be enough to create a star, if the looks and/or personality is lacking?? I guess time will tell.

47. trev says:

No Randy? No Ryan? No Nigel? AND no Iovine?! Voice > Idol

48. SarahnotSara says:

I feel off Idol early last season (along with millions) and then fell off again this year. Yeah the packaging was prettier and more gadgets, but the talent is meh at best. Haley is the best and she flings herself around the stage like a swaybot and delivers about 70% of the time – not good enough.

I love The Voice!!!!!!!!!! Love that the Coaches are actually real, currently successful, smart musicians – and that they are having fun but are serious (and excited) about the singers. And I LOOOVE (thanks Mark Burnett – this makes up for Survivor) that the producers picked talent instead of novelty acts or sob stories – AND that they didn’t go dragging in Susan Boyles or BusDriver guy types for shock value.

Sure some people don’t have model looks but THEY are people who’ve been working to get into music business not karaoke stars. That’s a different show. And I agree this is what those few of us who watched ‘Rock Star’ loved about that show both seasons. Talented from get go and serious judging (even with Tommy Lee’s antics).

And I actually like Carson Daly – maybe because I’ve been watching his late night show and that has bleached TRL from my brain. I like that he yells at the Coaches from the viewing area and genuinely seems to talk to families.

I love hearing a great singer break out and watching the four faces to see how intently they’re listening and then the excitement take over. It’s just fantastic. Oh, I hope it continues at this level. I’m a little worried about Xtina teetering about on her heels – can she actually coach? But clearly she knows technique so I’m hoping yes. And, yes, Adam and Blake are my new crushes. I can deal with lecherous Cee Lo b/c he’s an awesome singer.

YAY – this show is wonderful. It’s aimed at music lovers and now the lowest common denominator – *cough* Idol.

(I don’t know how long Michael will like it though b/c there don’t seem to be many of the the standard issue big note, same-same divas he loves.)

49. J. says:

Long ago I caught a couple episodes of “country music star” (or whatever it was called) on which Blake Shelton was a judge. He gave the contestants insightful feedback– was articulate and, even better, witty. Didn’t know of him before that (not a country music buff) but fell in love. He will be an important ingredient in this being a good show.

50. J. says:

There was that fabulous older-woman singer (she sang “Say a Little Prayer for You”) that nobody picked. I thought she was great. Was it because she is too polished, an already finished product, and none of the judges thought they could teach her anything new? (Blake was the only one who did say he “was looking for something more raw.”) Was she also too old-fashioned? Any thoughts?

• CandaceTX says:

I agree with Blake that her voice was not as raw or gritty as you would expect from an experienced singer. I was expecting a Bonnie Raitt sound. And while she was pleasant enough…she was nothing extraordinary.