Ratings: NBC's Voice Soars As TV's Best Premiere Since Undercover Boss; Glee Hits Low

NBC’s very, very, very well promoted The Voice hit a high note right out of the gate, dominating Tuesday night with a 5.1 demo rating and delivering 11.8 million total viewers.

As demo ratings go, that represents the strongest series premiere for any network since CBS launched Undercover Boss after the 2010 Super Bowl (to an admittedly much more robust 16.2 rating and total audience of 38.6 million viewers).

The Peacock proudly points out in a press release that in head-to-head competition, The Voice bested Fox’s Glee (4.6 vs. 3.4) and ABC’s Dancing With the Stars results show (4.9 vs. 3.5).

The Voice Recap: Michael Slezak Is Already Addicted. Does That Make Him Crazy?

Speaking of those Tuesday stalwarts, all told Glee (8.54 mil/3.4) was down double digits from a week ago — hitting a season-low demo — while Dancing With the Stars (18 mil/3.5) was up 14 and 17 percent, respectively.

Elsewhere on Tuesday:

* Among two of The CW’s three waiting-to-be-renewed dramas, One Tree Hill (1.54 mil/0.7) saw a tiny uptick in audience and stayed flat in the demo, while Hellcats dropped to 1.06 million viewers and a Shedding for the Wedding-like 0.4 (!) demo rating. Cheerio, ‘Cats!

One Tree Hill Exclusive: Bethany Joy Galeotti Signs On for (Possible) Season 9; James Lafferty Back Part-Time?

* Fox’s Raising Hope (4.6 mil/1.9) fell 10 percent to a series low rating.

* ABC’s Body Of Proof took a step toward a possible pickup by veritably tying the surging second hour of The Voice in total viewers (with 12.1 million), while holding somewhat steady in the demo (with a 2.3).

What did you tune into this Tuesday?

1. lara c. says:

i love this show. hope it does well

2. Jason says:

I hope it does well too. So much better than Idol.

I hope X-Factor and The Voice obliterate Idol.

3. darclyte says:

Surprisingly, I really liked it.

I liked how it started off at the stage where for Idol it’d be like the Top 50. All of these people are good, even if not all of them are great.

Quick comparisons to Idol, the gal who sang Adele was SO MUCH BETTER than Haley it wasn’t even funny. After Casey’s performance of Smells Like Teen Spirit, I had said that he should have done a stripped down, bluesy version of Come As You Are. Last night, a gal did almost exactly that. So yes, the singers have good instincts, but let’s not blame the singers on Idol. When they can choose whatever song they want, they’ve done fairly well. It’s been when they’re “stuck” with a certain group of songs that it usually hasn’t been quite as good.

I like the judges, and Cee Lo and Adam are 2 of my favorite singers, so I’m gonna stick with this and see how it goes. I still think they should have waited until after Idol to debut.

4. AlistairCrane says:

I liked this show a lot. Glad to see viewers tuned in!

5. Antwon says:

I’m not sure why my original post didn’t show up but I’ll try this again.

I loved the show. I am so glad they did well in the ratings. I’m shocked it held my attention the entire two hours. I wasn’t bored once. The concept and the coaches were fantastic and they featured some really good singers. I gave up on American Idol this year and it looks like I found a new show!

Adam Levine was so entertaining last night. If anyone missed it the show replays tonight on NBC. Javier Colon did an amazing job singing “Time After Time.” He was my favorite of the night. I also really liked Beverly. I don’t think she would have made it on Idol becasue they definitely get hung up on appearance.

• Snsetblaze says:

I also really liked Beverly. She was too old for Idol though even when it started as she is 41. When Idol started she would have been either 31 or 32 (depending on when ther birthday was).

6. daniel says:

Most programs were preempted in Kentucky due to severe weather.

7. great says:

Yaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m happy for the show! It was amazing!

8. Bobbi says:

What a great show! Such fun! The majority of the singers were terrific. I’ll definitely be watching this.

9. Chmarin says:

Raising Hope is a timeslot hit. And everyone’s been calling the breakout hit of the season. Well it’s not. When Glee is down, so is Raising Hope. If the FOX execs created the fall schedule differently, and put Hope on @ 9.30 – it would’ve been dead by now.

It sucks because a hilarious new sitcom, Happy Endings, doesn’t have the luxury of a huge lead-in anymore and it’s being burned off @ 10 pm.

Glee is running out of steam. These A18-49 numbers are what the show used to pull during the first 13 episodes bak in 2009, before all the hype and Gleemania. I say it has two more seasons in it. From a creative aspect and a viewership aspect.

Hellcats is done. D-o-n-e.

• Jenny says:

Raising Hope is lead-in dependent, but I couldn’t help notice you left off Breaking In. That show has the A.I. lead-in, and still can’t even break a 3.0. So if you really want to chat about dead shows that’d be the one.:)

• Chmarin says:

You’re right. I’m aware of the show, but I’ve already kinda dismissed it. I concentrated on Raising Hope in my post because it’s frustrating to see the show being called “a hit” when it’s obviously not, and a show that’s incredibly funny, has an adorable cast and is creating a lot of online buzz (Happy Endings) will probably be canceled in a month.
        FOX wasted the timeslot on both Breaking in and Raising Hope, IMO. Breaking In is pulling A18-49 numbers that Traffic Light got that one time it aired after Idol.

Which means – Breaking In without an American Idol lead-in: 1.3 A18-49. And I’m being generous here.

I remain hopeful for next season, though. The Zooey Deschanel pilot – I believe it’s called The New Girl – is testing through the roof. So looking forward to that one. :)

• Jenny says:

While I enjoy Happy Endings, and Raising Hope.
          Raising Hope is the better series to me, and it’s a show I’m addicted to. Raising Hope may not be a ratings hit, but it does have a pulse and a strong fan base behind it. It also has gotten some critical acclaim. Fox has not had a successful live action sitcom in years either, so they have to be patient.I read about The New Girl as well, and can’t wait for it to premier. I think Fox needs a successful comedy block.

• Matt says:

Breaking In is hilarious. I think it suffers from the Idol lead-in, really. It doesn’t seem directed at the same audience.

Also, it’s a shame to see Glee down so much on what was arguably one of their best episodes of the season.

• Chmarin says:

@Jenny – I don’t think Raising Hope is a bad show, don’t get me wrong.
          I simply wasn’t on board from the beginning. The show got really good around episode 9-10. However, the last few episodes didn’t impress me in the least.

@Matt – Breaking In is a tragically unfunny show for me. I watched the first 2 episodes and didn’t laugh once. :/ The cast is likeable, but it’s like a poor man’s version of Scrubs.

• bhm1304 says:

You mean the show with Christian Slater and Michael “Don’t Call Me Lex!” Rosenbaum. That show barely has a pulse and isn’t funny at all. The scripts are putrid. The cast just isn’t that funny nor are the jokes the writers give them. Brett Harrison better get his “I can’t believe my show got canceled” speech ready.

10. Snsetblaze says:

Is this site doing a recap?

11. NickC says:

Hahahahahahah Suck it Glee…..Can we just end Glee?.Wost show ever…100percent Crap.

12. Liz says:

Maybe if Glee didn’t supersize the episode, it would have done better. But last night DWTS took priority, I couldn’t miss out on Hanson and NKOTBSB. Glee is on my DVR and it will be watched when I have time.

13. guilty pleasure says:

The Voice is nothing more than a rip-off of Idol AGT, and the upcoming The X-Factor, and I didn’t watch the show despite its heavy promotion! UGH!!!!!!!

14. maria says:

Will there be a recap of The Voice? It was outstanding in my opinion. I liked it so much that I won’t tuning in to watch what is left of AI.

15. Jo says:

Last weeks terrible and rather pointless episode of glee had something to do with the rathings, imo. I for one was planning on giving up glee and just finding Klaine bits on the internet, but the episode made me realise why I loved glee when it first started. As soon as people who may have tuned into other things watch the epi, im sure it should go back into 10mil again. But, apart from the voice, nothing seemed to do to well last night. The glee writers need to sit down, and work on how to make season 3 better. In my view, drop the pointless guest stars and start using music which is actually good.

16. Ph says:

Loved the show!!! Really liked that we didn’t have to set through a bunch of bad auditions.
    Loved the judges. Really excited for this show.

Noticed how the judges were more cautious about choosing their singers, as the show progressed.

Also liked that the singers were able to sing what ever they wanted–not have to choose from a set list.

17. John says:

As someone who never got on the AI bandwagon (other than enjoying Slezak’s recaps), I REALLY liked The Voice. I found it interesting seeing what specific moments triggered the judges’ decisions to turn. Also funny: every time Blake turned it was he trying so hard not to, but then JUST COULDN’T RESIST.

18. Heather says:

It’s hard to watch Glee live when it’s not on the air due to weather. Otherwise I think that the ratings would have been higher.

19. DotDotDot says:

I thoroughly enjoyed The Voice. The effects border a bit on cheesy, but I really like the concept with the coaches and that there is no incentive whatsoever to put through mediocre talent (ahem, Idol) over genuinely talented people. And Adam Levine and Blake Shelton are hot…that doesn’t hurt :-)

20. Cris says:

Anything that reduces Glee’s rating is good news for me. I HATE GLEE!!!!

21. Igloo says:

I really liked this first show. I love Cee Lo and Adam. Crazy is one of my favorite songs from Gnarls Barkley. I love the whole blind audition concept and the fact that the stars have to sweet talk their way into being allowed to mentor the contestants. All in all a very fresh approach.

22. Craftie16 says:

Really hope this show takes off – Simon Cowell must be having nightmares already – the big stars he wanted to judge USA XF turned him down and he ended up with Cheryl Cole etc what a joke. Dont think he will get away with the dross we had to witness on UK XF2010. To those entering USAXF be aware Simon Cowell’s Syco are a rubbish label and dont have a clue how to promote their artists. He had the best winner ever of XF in 2009 in Joe McElderry and he failed him big time. Have a listen to the amazing Joe

23. AlistairCrane says:

I’m not surprised with Glee’s low rating—this season has been a huge letdown, an uneven mess with far more misses than hits. I haven’t truly enjoyed this show since the first batch of 13 episodes that aired in 2009.

24. That Dude says:

The best news of the night? Glee “season low” ratings, keep on slipping!!

25. Amber says:

I watched the DWTS results show, which I thoroughly enjoyed, and then went back and watched Glee. Then the Daily Show and the Colbert Report…then was off to bed.

26. Brad says:

Finally a show judging people based on talent instead of looks. Just imagine how Susan Boyle and Paul Potts would have done on a show like this.

27. Jessica says:

I don’t know about other places, but here in Kentucky last night Glee was preempted for the weather. We had tornadoes during that time. Our local station got permission from FOX to air it instead on Sunday. If other areas had those types of issues its probably part of that low number for viewers.

28. fernando says:

oh my gosh,oh my gosh, oh my gosh, I am so happy for Body of Proof for going uo to 12 million viewers,I love this show so much!

29. Guy says:

This show was awesome. So glad it worked for NBC. Could this finally be the hit show they have been looking for? As for BoP it was good to see it hit 12m viewers. This show just gets better and better as the episodes go on. Glee was good last night too.

30. Glen says:

I think Blake is a great singer but he is way out of his league with the other judges in this show. It is so obvious during the auditions he doesn’t know what to hear to make a decision. SAD!

31. Christian Carlson says:

This show is a great choice for anyone tired of american idol and all of its suck. i couldn’t agree more that glee was only amazing its first 13 episodes. as for fox promoting a good comedy, that has never been a strong point for them. anyone remember arrested development? probably one of the funniest shows ever and it got canceled after 2 1/2 seasons because fox didn’t promote it well enough. it didn’t matter that it won plenty of emmy’s and other awards, no one had any idea it existed.