Exclusive

Kate Walsh on Private Practice's Return, Finale ('So Much Happens!'), and the Arrival of a Bratt

This Thursday at 10/9c, ABC’s Private Practice resumes its fourth season and in doing so hopefully sheds light on where things stand between Addison and Sam, whose never too-steady romance is being tested by her desire to have a baby and his preference to stand pat as not just a dad but a granddad. TVLine got a hold of Kate Walsh as she toured Paris, partly for pleasure but also for business, as she continues to boast about her Boyfriend (as in the fragrance). Though the Private Practice beauty was cheeky about revealing some of what’s to come, she expertly teased the season finale ahead –- and how one Benjamin Bratt just might rock Addison’s world.

TVLINE | How was your Boyfriend meeting with Sephora’s Paris office?
How did you know…?! Are you watching me on Twitter? Watching my every move?

TVLINE | Mayyybe…. In general, how are things going as a purveyor of perfume?
As a “Fragrance Mogul in Training”? I’m enjoying it, I’m very excited about it. And the meeting went very well, thank you. This is the capital of fragrances, so….

TVLINE | Now you’ll be pitching to [Private Practice boss] Shonda Rhimes that Oceanside Wellness get transplanted to the Rive Gauche?
I don’t think that’s so big a stretch, do you?

TVLINE | Do you feel like sufficient drama has come Addison’s way this season?
Oh yeah – and there’s more to come, baby! There’s a lot that’s packed into these last four episodes. You’re going to want to tune into every minute, because if you turn away, you’re going to miss something pivotal.

TVLINE | I was just rewatching the scene where Naomi (played by Audra McDonald) blasts Addison, saying, “You suck at relationships!” It’s rare to get such honest moments between women.
The scene where she verbally bitch-slaps me? I was like, “Bring it!” And she was right! Oh, Audra…. I will miss her.

TVLINE | How has it been for you, bracing for her departure?
I don’t like it. I don’t think she’s gone for good – she’ll make visits – but it’s hard. It’s hard. It’s four years we’ve been together.

TVLINE | Will the story moving forward be about Addison realizing that Sam isn’t the one, or Sam coming around to her way of thinking?
How can I tell you that? You know about the contracts we sign and how they involve blood! I will be in fear of my life. There’ll be no more Twitter, no more Boyfriend, no more Private Practice…. [Laughs]

TVLINE | OK, let’s talk about Charlotte and Cooper’s wedding day. Does the nature of the occasion weigh on Addison or any of her friends?
The wedding is really awesome, and lots of things occur because of it – not only for Addison but also for other people. But yes, there might be a tiny violin playing for her!

Ask Ausiello: Why Isn’t Private Practice‘s Addison Sitting with Sam at the Wedding?

TVLINE | Do you like that Shonda keeps Addison flawed? A vainer actress might say, “Why can’t my character be more revered?”
“Why can’t I save the world?” I do like it. I came on [at Grey's Anatomy] as the “Wicked Witch of the West,” so I like that she’s constantly screwing up, and human, and struggling. By the way? Anybody who has that great a shoe collection deserves to be taken down a few notches.

TVLINE | I get a lot of mail asking about Addison and Sam maybe making a baby, Addison ever having any child…. But I wonder: Is Private Practice designed to be about Addison as a mother? Or is this more about a strong woman’s pursuit of all the things that she wants, but not always getting them?
I think it’s a bit of both. There’s not a real story being told out there for not getting everything you want – we’re constantly pitched, “You can have it all, all the time!” And while the reality is you can have a lot of it, it’s hard, and there is sacrifice. I love that Addison has a lot of advantages and privileges but she’s also deeply flawed and she doesn’t get to have everything. We’ve been talking about that one [viable] egg she’s got for four years now, but that’s a very real issue she struggles with, and it’s still an interesting story. What do you do when you want a child in your forties and you’re with somebody that you’re pretty happy with, but they don’t want to have a kid because they already have one and, in fact, have a grandkid? These are big-girl problems, and I love that Shonda and the writers take on these issues. That’s what’s made the show particularly strong this season.

TVLINE | Given the buzz that Grey’s Anatomy‘s Derek and Meredith might start a family soon, I hope one beat that Shonda plays is having that news makes its way to Santa Monica, and….
Right. Sure, why not? Put a little more salt in the wound! [Laughs]

Private Practice Wedding Scoop and Photos!

TVLINE | What can you say about the season finale (airing May 19)?
I love it. I don’t know how to describe it except to say it’s like a great closing chapter in Part 1 of a massive, three-part tome. It’s a big closing-up of certain things, and then a total unraveling of others and “Wait until you see Part 2!” So much happens.

TVLINE | Do you sometimes leaf through a script and remark to yourself, “I can’t believe Shonda went there“?
I’m always like that. Because they’ll say they’re thinking about one thing, and by the time she gets her hands on it it’s different — and even better — than the pitches.

TVLINE | But have you ever read something and immediately grabbed the phone to bellow at Shonda, or gave her a jab in the arm in the hall?
We’ve been in a “relationship” now for seven years, so…. We’ve debated before, I’m not going to lie. But it’s fantastic. When I call her or email her, it’s 99.9 percent, “Yahoo, you’re amazing! There’s a reason why you’re a goddess!” And then there are a couple times where I’m like, “Wait a second, hold on, what?”

TVLINE | Tell us about Benjamin Bratt joining the cast in the season finale.
Ohhhh…. He’s a really lovely person, he’s very kind, and he’s very handsome.

TVLINE | And he is playing….?
I can’t tell you that. He literally doesn’t even have a name! I don’t know who he is, what he’s doing. All I can tell you is he shows up. That’s literally all I can tell you.

TVLINE | OK, what about this: Facial hair or no facial hair?
[Laughs] You’ll have to tune in! Listen, there were discussions about that, and decisions were made. Decisions were made about facial hair.

TVLINE | We were talking at the office about Bratt coming on board, and we reckon he’s gotta be for you.
Well, it would be nice if something worked out for Addison personally!

Judging by the brand-new ABC photo seen here, we surmise things just might!

1. Gennie says:

Thanks, I’m looking forward to Taye/Kate/Ben performance. I’m rooting for AddiSam obviously, I prefer them but I’m totally ok with addison making Sam jealous, Sam is all sexy and manly when he is chasing his girl.

Chuckles over the AddiForehead thing, Poor Bratt. Taye got some of the name calling from Maddison/Paddison fans so what comes around goes around. Taye Diggs is better looking than Benjamin Bratt DEAL with it.

2. Mel says:

The people bashing Ben aren’t anymore embarrassing than the people who already ship these two going by stills alone. You already see the chemistry! Give me a break! We no absolutely nothing about this character. Addison’s tongue is wagging because well it’s a man. Doesn’t take much to pique her interest. This show has been embarrasing for awhile and this fan base is catching up.

3. Marco says:

Calm Down! it’s just a show even though AddiSam is my couple, we need to cool down a little. I love how passionate the AddiSam fans are lately. Hope S5 bring better things for our couple.

thanks Matt

4. Jamie says:

I was/am an Addisam fan, but honestly could care less if they break up since Sam has been a total asshole. If Ben’s character is for Addison, I am all for it. I just care about Addison and want to see her happy. At least she is smiling in the pic with BB, Sam hasn’t made Addie smile all season long.

The Addisam fans were upset when some would call Taye too short for Addison and bald. How hypocritical of them to now diss BB.

• Ariatna says:

And that’s your reason? then you should shipp for addison with a clown, he can make her laugh on a regular basis

• Jamie says:

No that is not my only reason. Hey though a clown would be better than Sam at the moment.

• Ariatna says:

That’s the only reason I See. She is laughing in that Pic, God forbid a Man make Addison shed a tear…lol Really Addison should just join the circus.

5. melissa says:

addy and the new guy (why don’t he have a name?) look cute together! i don’t like sam anymore. he should leave the show with naomi.

6. yoli says:

Ok whatever! Thanks Matt.

Go AddiSam!

7. Laura says:

Nice interview Matt, Kate is always an engaging & witty interviewee. A great leading lady.

“Do you feel like sufficient drama has come Addison’s way this season?” – this is a great question. I love Kate’s loyalty to Shonda, but as an Addie fan I say a big fat NO. This season has been laregly boring and apart from the sensationalised rape episode, there has not been a single memorable scene or episode.

I hope Season 5 improves and I do hope Bratt is there as a new permanent character for Addie. For all the talk of AddiSam, we have seen very little of their so-called relationship and the majority HATE seeing their fav character with Sam, who has become a d*uchebag this season.

Thanks for the interview. Hope you get to interview Kate again soon.

8. Ariatna says:

It’s going to get ugly I see.
    I still Love Sam and Addison, I understand they are having some problems but they can solve them together and move forward, the writers should work on that and not jus throw a random new character at addison expecting fans to just support him because he is Benjamin Bratt, and to be honest he is NOT the Benjamin Bratt from Years ago, just look at him he is just old and tired, I’m not going to touch the forehead aspect of it, i think that’s uncalled for.
    Shonda should work with giving addison and Sam better writing and better quality time as a couple.

I hope they dont pair Amelia with Benjamin either, He looks like he could be her dad. They should have casted a younger Male with great looks.

The people that are shipping Addison with anything with a penis are an Embracement to the show.

9. Nattie says:

Shallow much? B. Bratt is an established tv and movie actor. That man’s got skills. I’d pick him over one more generic pretty young face any day.

• Cindy says:

He is a great actor, Loved him before, now not so much but I’m glad he is joining the show. I still vote for My eye candy Taye. lol

10. Cindy says:

Thank Matt.
    Zzzzzzzzz!!! Fan wars are ridiculous.

11. Echo says:

Dont you love the Fans Agendas
    When it was Sam/Taye Vs Doc Rodriguez/Cristian de la Fuente it was all about how Private Practice Addison needs a Mc dreamy, a hot guy, hot hot hot. All of the sudden Now that Benajmin Bratt is NOT a good looking it’s all about Acting, Private Practice/Addison doesnt need a pretty face she needs a strong actor. LOL what a shame, they can’t even keep up with their own agenda.

• Neil says:

Give it a rest. The agenda door obviously swings both ways and having both sides point fingers at one another is only making it worse.

12. Echo says:

I’m no AddiSam fan but I see how it changes to fit the agendas of some fans. Now that Taye Diggs is definitely the Hottie of the equation it’s all about acting and the “he is an established tv and movie actor” bulls….

My personal opinion I’m not a Benjamin Brat fan so I’m going to go with addison and sam pairing because at least they dont make me want to poke my eyes out just by watching a single pic of them together. Kate Walsh deserves a hot guy. Call me Shallow if you like.

• Mona says:

Oh please, we are talking about Benjamin Bratt and Taye Diggs – they are both smokin hot! :) Dempsey, Dane, Chambers, Daly, Hopkins, Sutcliffe, Diggs and now Bratt – Kate Walsh is one lucky woman! ;)

• Johany says:

Dude that’s Exactly my point. Benjamin is ugly, Father Age Mowed him Down, Not even a good body. I’m still speechless over that casting. Shonda got rid of Chris Lowell for Benjamin Bratt?

• Amy says:

Chris Lowell wanted to leave the show. But it doesn’t even matter since you only wanted to bash Bratt again.

13. Jordania says:

Thank you Matt, I’m so happy about the interview.

14. Kenya says:

True. Bratt’s mother is Peruvian Indian from Lima, his father was an American of German and English descent.

15. Adele Greys Fan says:

Hoping there’s no shirtless scenes coming Benjamin Bratt way just like tim Daly that’s not a pretty sight. Shonda cast all the best guys for greys. Jesse Williams so sexy.

16. rose says:

I love that Addison and Sam are together. I really hope they stay together. I can’t wait to see tonight’s episode. To be honest I can’t even remember what the last episode was about. I had to go to DISHOnline and watch it over. That is the great thing about DISHOnline.com; I can watch current and old episodes of several shows. It’s free to go online and so many shows can be watched for free. That’s the great thing about working for DISH Network is that I learn about all the cool new products and features that come out. Go to this link to check it out. http://beta.dishonline.com/shows/34557-greys_anatomy/videos/840955-song_beneath_the_song

17. lorna says:

What is wrong with you people BB is perfectly fine looking. Geez. Cooper is no looker, but he is adorable with Charlotte. And whats his face, the other possible baby daddy for Violet is awesome. Not always about looks.

18. Carol says:

Addison deserves much better than Sam. He can’t give Addie what she wants/needs and he’s off kissing his ex wife when she needs him the most. Bring back that HOT Dr. Rodriguez! Where is he??? He seems perfect for Addison in so many ways. They have amazing chemistry and he would be a perfect fresh start for her! They have the potential to get a relationship started on the right foot- he is not connected to her past or her friends and she didn’t jump into bed with him immediately. Although who would blame her! It’s time Addison had some happiness. Hook up BB with Amelia and give her a life.

19. Johany says:

Benjamin Bratt? Really couldnt Shonda bring a better looking person to PrP. Good God. He is ugly and old looking. There is some geriatric Key Demo she wants to make happy.
    And the AddiForehead thing is all kinds of awesome and very accurate. that picture is painful to watch.

20. Zulay says:

cracking up at AddiForehead….that’s all I have to say.

• Eddie says:

I’m not invested in any of addison pairing, actually I think those guys are crazy to fall for her. she is an unstable Ho.
      To have Benjamin Bratt around is going to be good for laughs. The addiforehead thing it’s a good start. I dont want to imagine when we have him 24/7.

21. Lifer says:

after the current episode i am done watching this show

22. Davia says:

Really guys? REALLY? Its just television calm down!!!? No need to throw insults and trash other actors. Again : its just tv!